FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rooster 8.1 rig on Laser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
tickel View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tickel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rooster 8.1 rig on Laser
    Posted: 25 Feb 07 at 12:08am
Then there's the Supernova.
tickel
Merlinboy View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 07 at 12:32am

Originally posted by tickel

Then there's the Supernova.

What about it, I am going to be controversial again but a supernova is a nothing boat, much slower heavier and technologically retarded then an OK, Phantom etc. and quite frankly slower, I will say that they are good value for money though.

lozza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lozza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 07 at 10:35am
It would be nice if rooster brought out a new rudder for the 8.1 - surely it's going to suffer more from stalling with the extra sail area.

I remember some of the guys at uni tried to put a laser2 rudder on and it made a huge difference!!!
Life's a reach, then you gybe
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 07 at 3:47pm

The big question is why did they do this? Especially when there is so much good competition out there.

Why not take over the marketing of the Blaze or launch a Phantom?

As people have said elsewhere the hull and rudder may suffer with the extra power and stresses.

What next put a trapeze on it?

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
blaze720 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blaze720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 07 at 5:56pm
"Why not take over the marketing of the Blaze ......"

Er - well WE did so see www.cirrusrace.com   Now made with Rondar.  See it at the Dinghy show next weekend for the first time - Still a Blaze but sorted and supported.  Try it you might like it  .....

Blaze 720
Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 07 at 6:14pm
And Mr C certainly used to promote the Blaze...
olly_love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 07 at 6:30pm
has anyone thought about the daggerboard not being big enough same with the rudder.  downwind the boat must be a barstard to sail cause of the rig being taller.  he must have strengthened the hull around the mast to cope with the extra forces
TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

foaminatthedeck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote foaminatthedeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 07 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Contender443

What next put a trapeze on it?

I think that you and I both sail the logical conclution of increasing a Laser sail area.

Its also had a few improvements, but the contender was designed before the laser, dose that make the laser a bit of a step backwards?

Lark 2170
Late starter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 07 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Contender443

The big question is why did they do this? Especially when there is so much good competition out there.

Well I guess the market will decide, as ever, if Rooster are right or wrong. Some of the other boats mentioned are great boats, but they are never likely to have the sort of mass market that the Laser has. All those overweight Laser sailors have now got a low cost alternative to moving into a Finn, Phantom, or whatever - all expensive boats if you want to be on the pace. I've got a sneaking feeling the 8.1 could do very well, and no I don't work for Rooster!
Steve Cockerill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Cockerill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 07 at 7:07pm

Great to hear the general positive feeling for the Rooster 8.1.  I am sure it will not take sailors from the Phantom type fleets  - but just might encourage some back to sailing with a grin on their face. Smile

I thought I should give you some background to the PY debate. 

In testing last week as Stokes Bay - I was pulling out 3 mins per lap in 4-5 knts.  Each latp took about 20 mins.  I took 3 mins out of the contender in the fist 30 mins.  There was a huge windshift of the last beat  - knocking my lead down to just 3 mins in 60 mins.  But I was still grining. Big smile

Further testing on Wednesday against a very competitive Laser sailor, Ian Morgan (actually the guy who had most to do with the Design) (he's Rooster's Latest Assett - so we are now officially a sailmaker too!)  Anyway - in about 10 knts upwind The 8.1 was 5 secs faster in 3 mins - on a reach (I was picking the angle (cheat!)) the 8.1 was 15 secs faster in 3 mins and on a run - the 8.1 was 30 secs faster in 3 mins!  Today in 20 knts, but wind with tide it was a bit harder work.  Interestingly it was a quiet sail.  No flappy flappy bit you get from the full rig - but at 79Kg  and short enough to sail a radial - I would honestly say I was overpowered and found short taking up the shore in 20 knts and chop just a little physical.  I guess I am glad really else it would be a direct competitor for a Laser style person.  However, I pulled and passed lots of OCS sailors and finished moderately well in the fleet.  The offwind legs were too short though (with the tide taking us down) I cruised past lots off wind - but gains downwind were reduced by the current upwind.   I would have loved to see a 90Kg person upwind today!  Everyone else who sailed the boat thought it was smoother than the standard rig, and were surprised at how well it handled.  They did not want to give it back!

I think the sail will work even better inland where the handicap should come into its own.  I think we have been rather conservative with our Handicap on reflection.   

Some have said that the boat might not take the loads.  We have said that it is for one person - and since the Laser  is meant to be designed for up to two people (class rules permit) then one in an 8.1 should be fine.  I have sailed lasers in 40 knts and pitch poled with two people in it!  I do not think there is any real boat problems. 

We are open to a new rudder idea - we can definitely get a new blade made for the rudder stock - but I am keen to make the Rooster 8.1 class affordable  - so we will make that development an option rather than a must have.  Generally the rudder is more neutral than normal - although one sailor test sailed it today did not use enough Cunningham and he found the rudder heavy.   We are also developing a carbon top mast - just a never break it type - that might lighten the rig slightly for downwind turns.  Again - I have no intension of making it compulsory - and we definitely are keen to make them affordable. 

You can all get a chance to take a look at the 8.1 at the Ali Pali Dinghy Show.  Rooster Sailing have two stands - the larger being C35 - just under the Rose Window.  It is promising to be an interesting affair.  

Happy Sailing!

Happy Sailing
Steve Cockerill
Free Postage at:
www.roostersailing.com
Tel +44(0)1243 389997
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>