FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rooster 8.1 rig on Laser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
mike ellis View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rooster 8.1 rig on Laser
    Posted: 28 Feb 07 at 6:00pm
it cant be used on the smaller rigs because class rules say the top section has to be from the builder (laser). however if the class association members decide they want the change then it could be used on smaller rigs.
600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 07 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Guest#260

Originally posted by 49erGBR735HSC

Is 1sqm of sail area going to make that difference in a loading sense? Think everyone is over exagerating the modifications and the loading difference isn't going to be that great. I assume that during the design stages, Steve would have taken all these thoughts into consideration. As Pierre says, best leaving judgement until something happens. IMO the boat doesn't need new foils, the loads won't be that great, the XD kit isn't ruining the hulls and the developments should be viewed as something positive instead of being met by scaremongering.

Who's scaremongering ... I think some of us are saying it won't make any diference ...

Sorry Rick, wasn't targetting the scaremongering comment at everyone, although there has been a bit of it.

Just looked through some notes I have on the loadings of the standard Laser, and through looking at the figures, the 8.1 rig looks like it will only impose a few kilograms extra of loading, 10-15kg very max by my estimations. When you compare the strength of the hull and components, it isn't too much in the larger scheme of things. 

Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

foaminatthedeck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote foaminatthedeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 07 at 10:55pm
sorry didn't mean to come across as scaremungering, I'm just interestde on how the forces work.
Lark 2170
GCS27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GCS27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 07 at 9:44am

Well, I am over 90Kg (well over unfortunately) and for many years have longed for a single hander for which I could be competitive in, sails well on the sea, does not weigh the same as a 505 and has a plentiful supply of second hand boats, the impossible dream.

With the advent of the Rooster 8.1 my prayers would seem to have been answered, so it was with some trepidation that I took up Steve's offer of a sail on Saturday.  The conditions were glorious, 15 to 20 knots of breeze, wind over tide producing some good waves, the sun out and pretty mild.

I have sailed a Laser on and off for the last 20 years and am well aware of how they feel in these conditions with a lump like me inside. I am glad to say this was now in a completely different boat to what I was used to it was lithe, nimble and exciting. For the first time I could drive the boat down wind and waves not getting stuck in the troughs, 5th gear had finally been found.

As the final test I lined up against a good friend of a similar weight who normally sails quicker than me downwind. I took 20 to 30m out of him in 150m of sailing. 

In short the Rooster 8.1 has delivered a boat for the big guy, which is a market the major dinghy manufactures have completely ignored. .  Will it be faster than a standard laser? That is a more complex question, the optimum weight to sail a laser would appear to be 80-82 Kg, what this rig does is make the boat feel that way for a larger sailor. The more important element for me is that sailing a Laser can be fun again.

KennyR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote KennyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 07 at 12:47pm
Just to expand the debate slightly.... Given that the guys most likely to buy the Rooster rig are probaly not that bothered about sailing against other full rig Lasers and are maybe not the ultimate in athletic perfection, why not expand the concept slightly, by 'allowing' some other minor tweaks, like freeing up the rudder pin position so that the boat has less arm-numbing weather helm when the boat is less than perfectly flat. At worst it puts the blade or stock out of class rules, but big wow - 'they' can't stop you sailing your boat with modifications you have done and a class association at it's most basic is a bunch of friends who agree to sail the same sort of boat against each other.
I would also go one step further and suggest that the concept could be taken onboard by any sailmaker within some sort of rule framework. Market forces will still prevail and I'm sure Rooster would still be the rig of choice given steve's singlehanded expertise, but it would at least allow the concept to march forward instead of replacing one fixed-in-time rig design with another. It's up to the 'association' to provide the guidelines here [whoever that may be]. It may even help establish the idea more quickly.
Hats off to Steve and Rooster for having the guts to go with the idea, and we know from the other classes they are involved in the relish a competitive market.
It's possibly the best thing that has happened in the dinghy market for years for sailors who have gone a bit 'thick aft' and who sail for fun a their clubs.

Edited by KennyR
hum3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hum3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 07 at 1:24pm
Has Laser commented on this development yet? They could probably kill it in an instant if they wanted to, considering Steve's business is quite heavily Laser dependent... Or not? Discuss...
foaminatthedeck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote foaminatthedeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 07 at 1:39pm

I know very little about Roster or Steves operation but if he is similar to other chandleries that I have worked for the mark up on the laser products will be small compaired to the product with his own brand (we could only sell laser products and break even at the chandlery I worked for). So maybe he is not fussed about peeved off Laser too much.

Alternativly the company seems pritty switch on bissenss wise may be has already talked to Laser and they just don't care about a product that IMHO dose not compeat with them in any way.

Lark 2170
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 07 at 2:43pm
In fact, it might even keep people in Lasers, and so buying more genuine Laser spares, and so making Laser money.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 07 at 5:08pm

maybe this boat could help fix the problem of medal numbers at the olympics, ditch both the finn and the laser standard and replace them with the 8.1. or is that not what people would want from this boat.

just a though.

600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 07 at 5:31pm

Originally posted by KennyR

Just to expand the debate slightly.... Given that the guys most likely to buy the Rooster rig are probaly not that bothered about sailing against other full rig Lasers and are maybe not the ultimate in athletic perfection,

I'm not so sure that't true it's certainly not for me... except the athletic perfection of course . I struggled to see the point in buying a boat that despite it's merits of being very common I would be pretty much outclassed in due to my weight and fitness (before anyone says it I'm not interested in getting thinner of fitter). If however there was a fat gits alternative that allowed me to race in a massed 'Laser' fleet I might be tempted, because even if I had the only 8.1 It'd still feel more like class racing than racing in my present 'Fast Handicap' fleet of RS200s, Albs and GPs.

Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910