FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rooster 8.1 rig on Laser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
MRJP BUZZ 585 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MRJP BUZZ 585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rooster 8.1 rig on Laser
    Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 7:51pm
I think it will be interesting in all aspects, how it works and how the handicap will be, quite tempting for the price tho
Josh Preater

BUZZING IS FUN

NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 7:59pm

Personally I find the normal full rig tough going in a strong wind!  If you want a bigger sailed boat aimed at a heavier person why not trade the (basically crappy) laser for a (really rather nice) phantom?

Having said which I'd always fancied a C2 type rig for the laser - a more manageable gust response for one thing - and roosters big rig is at least a step away from the laser hegemony.

Wonder if rooster would consider a normal sized rig but cut better.  I have a rooster main already but it's as similar to lasers as possible and suffers the same (and probably more) faults.

Javelin 558
Contender 2574
Late starter View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by NickA

Personally I find the normal full rig tough going in a strong wind!  If you want a bigger sailed boat aimed at a heavier person why not trade the (basically crappy) laser for a (really rather nice) phantom?

The Phantom is a decent boat for the heavier sailor, I've owned a couple and liked them. However, the big problem with the Phantom is lack of availability of current spec boats (ie Epoxy hull/carbon rig) and consequent inflated price levels. The 8.1 Rooster rig seems to offer a decent alternative at very sensible cost - well done Rooster!  I bet Laser are spitting blood though, as it seems such an obvious development for the boat why on earth haven't they done something similar themselves?
PeterV View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 8:29pm
So, if the bigger rig makes a Laser so much faster, and everyone thinks a C2 style rig would be even faster, why are Bytes still sailing on the same handicap with the C2 rig?
PeterV
Finn K197, Finn GBR564, GK29
Warsash
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 8:38pm

I'm told...... the Byte C2 rig is no faster than the conventional rig sailed by someone really good; it's just easier to sail to handicap.

More to the point, final PY depends on club returns and clubs rarely seem to make them.  Furthermore, the RYA generally registers jsut one version of each class, so any reduced PY affects the whole fleet, not just the upgraded parts of it.  You need a very honest CA or a huge difference before a classes design improvement causes a PY reduction, let alone a class PY split.  Check out old wooden vs new plastic fireballs for instance! 

Javelin 558
Contender 2574
Smight at BBSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 9:23pm

i also think a byte c2 type rig would be a benefit partly because it would spice up the laser and make it more interesting. they are 1 of the most boring boats i've ever sailed  but that is just my opinion

RS600 988
martin555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote martin555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 9:24pm
In the new PYs 07 the C2 as a suggested PY different from the byte!! 1134 I think. 
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 10:02pm

I would imagine the Blaze would blitz the Rooster 8.1 in a breeze but the boot would be on the other foot in the lighter stuff.  I'm also thinking a better cut sail would make the Laser an easier boat to sail in the heavier winds so the 8.1 might not be such a handful in a blow.

Yes a Byte C2 type rig would be even bettter but quite a bit more expensive.

And a final thought regarding the XD kit on Lasers.  Are any of the hulls showing any strain from the increased loads of the multipurchase downhaul?  I bet it won't be long before we find boats with the mast appearing out of the bottom or have they modified the design in this area?

NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 10:51pm

It's true - a C2 style rig would make the laser a very expensive boat for what you got.  Better to spend it on a whole different design! 

Anyway, well done Rooster for pushing at the envelope a little.  how about some rooster hulls too!!!!!!

Javelin 558
Contender 2574
blaze720 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blaze720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 11:55pm
I would imagine the Blaze would blitz the Rooster 8.1 in a breeze but the boot would be on the other foot in the lighter stuff.

Well bring it on then !  In the light stuff as well if you like.  F2/3 and sorry but goodbye.  We've all sailed Lasers so no disrespect there but really - I've not sailed one yet of course and will when available but will also encourage others to simply try all that are on offer.  So if you disagee will you come out there in a Blaze sometime ?  The offers seriously there - see association website.

Mike - Blaze 720

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>