FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rooster 8.1 rig on Laser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
redback View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rooster 8.1 rig on Laser
    Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 10:43am

Now there's a good idea.  I'm not over 90kg but if I was sailing regularly inland I'd give that a try.  What particularly attracts me is that the sail looks like it will last longer and will set better.  As a bonus its all a lot cheaper than Laser.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 11:41am
I kinda think though, if you're going to rerig a Laser out of class why not do it thoroughly? Maybe have something like the new Byte rigs. Sail area and nothing else is one of the least effective ways to make a boat go faster.

I suppose, though, if you had a modern efficient rig sure you'd be able to have more rag and control it better , but the sailing characteristics would be quite different.
Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 11:53am

Seems like an interesting concept to me; guess it's a case of "watch this space"...

I wonder what Laser think of it

BBSCFaithfull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 12:20pm
I Think its cool!
Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 1:36pm

You're thoughts were precisely mine, JimC, the moment I saw the thread title.

In fact I've been wondering how long it wouldd take for someone to come up with a Byte C2 style rig for the Laser - a bit longer still, apparently.

You could up the area over the Laser's 7.1,  given the extra efficiency, as you say, Jim, but the problem is you never get as much as you expect - as you up the area, so you raise the centre of effort too.

But 8 - 8.5 m2 would probably be about the right size, I guess...

Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 1:46pm
It strikes me that the new sail will last longer than a standard Laser sail, and that Mr C knows what he's doing with the boat, so it should work well. Good luck to them, I say!
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 2:02pm

I see Rooster are claiming a PY of 1051 for it.

That strikes me as optimistic, not least because it's rare for a Laser to win on PY anyway, but mainly because they're expecting a 2.6% performance gain from a 14% area increase, when the full rig only rates 2.1% faster than the Radial despite a 25% increase in sail area.

Surely the efficiency can't be that much better? - the cut pattern is similar to the original, now superceded Byte sail.

radial179102 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote radial179102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

But the Blaze is 1047?! I somehow don't think they can make a laser go that speed...

Villan is my Bitch ;)
Xpletive View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Xpletive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 5:15pm
Why not? Are you saying it couldn't match a Blaze for speed or that it couldn't match its (generous) PY?
Norbert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Norbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 07 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by radial179102

Originally posted by Medway Maniac

But the Blaze is 1047?! I somehow don't think they can make a laser go that speed...

The Blaze is about 8 ft wide with a 10 sqm rig. The laser 8.1 PY might be about right, but around this way no one believes the Blaze handicap is anything other than soft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>