FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bike Thread Anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Mozzy View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike Thread Anyone?
    Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 2:41pm
I think E-bikes are a great idea. In a hilly area it can be a bit of a chore to get over enough hills to make a ride worth while. E-bike reduces that barrier to the sport. 
Everyone has their own comfortable exercise level, so having a motor isn't likely to make anyone slack off, they'll just go further. and if being able to go a little further, I.e. do two laps of a hill rather than 1, where a single laps wouldn't be worth leaving home for... then well it's obvious e-bikes are great for the sport and peoples wellbeing. 
I'm lucky that I'm young and fit enough to ride all day enjoy it. But it won't always be that way, and I hope I can use an e-bike to keep me outdoors exercising for longer.

Check out this moving video about Fat Creations and former pro MTB rider Ally McClean

Chris_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 2:46pm
You would be hard pressed to tell this was an e-bike  (mine):

Edited by Chris_H - 14 Jan 21 at 2:47pm
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Chris_H

Tell me you don't use the electric mode on the trainer?

I once saw a documentary where they had a bunch of cyclists hitched up to that sort of thing, but they were dynamo's and the deal was to power a family in a house, using batches of cyclists, lots of them, they'd take turns whilst having refreshment resting etc, Then suddenly word would go out.. Mount up everyone she's put the kettle on and is going to start ironing...

Edited by iGRF - 14 Jan 21 at 4:17pm
Chris_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Originally posted by Chris_H

Tell me you don't use the electric mode on the trainer?

I once saw a documentary where they had a bunch of cyclists hitched up to that sort of thing, but they were dynamo's and the deal was to power the house, using batches of cyclists, lots of them, they'd take turns whilst having refreshment etc, Then suddenly word would go out.. Mount up everyone she's put the kettle on and is going to start ironing...

I might just be able to power my key fob torch .....  LOL
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 4:58pm
Talk about powering a light. 
Does anyone recall those Sturmey-Archer hub dynamos to power lights? A massive leapt in efficiency from the ones that looked like a small Coke bottle with a knurled wheel on the top which drove off the tyre, they felt like a brake was half on when engaged.

Edited by Do Different - 14 Jan 21 at 4:59pm
Chris_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Do Different

Talk about powering a light. 
Does anyone recall those Sturmey-Archer hub dynamos to power lights? A massive leapt in efficiency from the ones that looked like a small Coke bottle with a knurled wheel on the top which drove off the tyre, they felt like a brake was half on when engaged.

Ah, technology hey?  And we thought that was the last word on lighting for your bike.
Americas Cup trickle down coming on in 2050.....
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 5:18pm
AC trickle down... will I need 6 beefy grinders in the front of the Firefly to power the computers?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Chris_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Rupert

AC trickle down... will I need 6 beefy grinders in the front of the Firefly to power the computers?

Off-Topic - I absolutely  love the Firefly. My school near Ipswich had a fleet of them I sailed and raced them in the River Stour as part of the school racing team. I would buy one tomorrow ... as well as a 505. (wistful sigh)

Edited by Chris_H - 14 Jan 21 at 5:31pm
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 6:24pm
Five-Os big love job, never helmed one but crewed pre monster kites. Just so right, a "proper" boat but also finger tip and for that matter toe tip responsive. 
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 6:29pm
And about £35,000  Cry
Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>