Please select your home edition

America's Cup Rialto - July 24: American Magic rigs up..ETNZ on water..Youth boat foils

by Richard Gladwell/ 24 Jul 03:22 BST 24 July 2020
American Magic - Wynyard Point bases - Auckland - July 24, 2020 © Richard Gladwell /

America's Cup Rialto is a new series for the 36th America's Cup, and will publish each day an Americas's Cup boat sails - with images of the day. Usually there will be a morning report (NZT) based on when the boats have passed North Head - when there is usually the best photo opportunity, but worst light angle.

The Rialto report will be an update late in the day, when the boats come back - this is much harder to predict - but gives the best shots. In between we watch the training session, and practice long range photography, from wherever is closest to that area.

The New York Yacht Club's challenging team for the 36th America's Cup American Magic, splashed their boat ahead of what is expected to be her first sail tomorrow, Saturday.

The AC75 Defiant emerged from their boatshed at around 8.00 am on Friday, and with the yacht being launched about an hour later.

However, they were not the first America's Cup team into action on what was expected to be a marginal sailing day.

Emirates Team New Zealand rigged and launched in the pre-dawn dark before heading out for a three hour on the water session on their test boat Te Kahu, which was also in action earlier in the week.

Also out test sailing was the Youth America's Cup boat, which sailed a series of runs down the Waitemata Harbour, with substantial breaks in between indicating that there is plenty of demon-tweaking to be undertaken.

The forecasts proved to be correct - with SW winds (offshore) of 17-25kts being recorded at Northern Leading Beacon - the closest real-time observation station to America's Cup wind measurement requirements, and which is inside Course C the main stadium course for the 36th America's Cup.

Training sessions. Due to more pressing matters, we missed the Emirates Team NZ session. But they docked out at 8.30am and returned three and a half hours later, at noon - ahead of the freshening breeze which averaged 25kts gusting 30kts an hour later. The Defender's forecasting has always been very canny since they started sailing the AC75, and today was another example of that.

We did catch some of the America's Cup Youth boat (ACF9) out sailing - the second time we have seen it trialing. The first day was in a top end of the range NE breeze, and today was in a freshening SW breeze.

Both sessions were punctuated with long timeouts - which in the AC75 and the test boat indicates that there is a lot of systems sorting being done on the water.

The ACF9 appeared to be sailing with a youth crew - with two sailing from the trapeze.

A long reach down the harbour towards the end of the session went without incident.

Overall the AC9F would not appear to be as extreme as the AC75, or the ETNZ 12 metre test boat, which will be heartening for the international Youth crews. from what we saw today the AC9F would be halfway between a foiler and the match racing sports boats that are generally used for Youth match racing events.

It would be interesting to see the ACF9 sailed on several sessions with a AC or SailGP crew to show its performance potential.

High Court on hold

The High Court decision on the interim Injunction on the further publication by NZME and other media of details from a leaked documents and recording, has not been officially announced. Until a formal Decision is delivered by Justice Simon Moore, the interim injunction - given over the telephone on Friday, July 3 - remains in force.

New York YC to wait until Monday?

American Magic Executive Director Terry Hutchinson told 3News tonight, that due to the heavy workload by team members in Auckland over the past month, it had been decided to give the team the weekend off, saying there was a good forecast for the next week.

To some thinking it was a surprising comment for a team that hadn't sailed together for five months. But then what's a couple of days between friends

The summary forecast from shows light conditions on Saturday to Monday inclusive, with the wind freshening on Tuesday gusting to 17kts, and then exceeding the America's Cup wind limit on Wednesday and Thursday, with NE (onshore) winds gusting to 25kts for Wednesday and Thursday. It will be interesting to see whether Emirate Team New Zealand follow their practice of using every usable sailing day, and taking time out when the winter winds are beyond America's Cup Match limits.

Related Articles

America's Cup Rialto: And then there were two
Two America's Cup teams were out sailing on the Hauraki Gulf today - both in their AC75's - Updated Two America's Cup teams were out sailing on the Hauraki Gulf Mondayday - for the first time both had their AC75's sailing - albeit in separate parts of the harbour. Updated with several top videos and some new images (American Magic) from the afternoon. Posted on 10 Aug
Highlights of 30 years of America's Cup commentary
The Voice of the America's Cup - highlights reel covering 34 years of commentary Peter "PJ" Montgomery will be inducted into the America's Cup Hall of Fame in March 2021 - and is just the third "chronicler" to be admitted. Here's a series of audio clips from the 1992 LV and America's Cups through to the 2017 win, plus an image gallery Posted on 9 Aug
America's Cup Rialto: Out of sight in the Paddock
Circuit training in The Paddock, wind pressure affects dry tacks and gybes, dodging a 30-40kt squall American Magic's Defiant left their base around 1030hrs on a fast 10nm foil-borne around for another training session out on Course E - between Eastern Beach and Waiheke Island, otherwise known as "The Paddock". Posted on 8 Aug
America's Cup Rialto: Defiant's 'glamour day'
After a batten failure, American Magic headed back out for a three hour plus sail on a 'glamour day' After losing an hour or so through gear failure, American Magic headed back out onto the Waitemata for a training session out on Course E - between Eastern Beach and Waiheke Island, otherwise known as "The Paddock". Posted on 6 Aug
America's Cup: Arb Panel rules on CIC application
The Arbitration Panel for the America's Cup has ruled on the Stars + Stripes' application The Arbitration Panel for the America's Cup has rules against the application made to it by the US Challenger Stars + Stripes Team USA. Posted on 5 Aug
America's Cup: NZL60 now on permanent display
The 2000 America's Cup winner NZL-60 has joined the 2017 champion on permanent display in Aucklanaly NZL-60, the winner of the 2000 America's Cup has gone on display outside the Emirates Team NZ base in the Viaduct Harbour, Auckland. In the 30th Match for the America's Cup, RNZYS became the first club outside USA to successfully defend the America's Cup. Posted on 4 Aug
America's Cup Rialto: Aug 3 - New York train alone
American Magic looked to have settled into a training routine putting in five hours on the water American Magic looked to have settled into a catch-up routine to close out the five months they have been off the water. NZL-60 the 2000 America's Cup champion has been refurbished and will go on public display at the ETNZ base. Posted on 3 Aug
America's Cup Rialto: August 1 - AC75's compared
American Magic sailed their AC75, Defiant compared to ETNZ's AC75 Te Aihe While American Magic sailed their AC75, Defiant on three days of the four available, last week, Emirates Team New Zealand have opted to sail only their 12 metre long test boat Te Kahu. Here's some thoughts and images on what we've seen. Posted on 1 Aug
America's Cup Rialto: July 30 - A revealing day
American Magic looked to have dropped into a solid training routine New York Yacht Club's American Magic looked to have dropped into a solid training routine, necessary to catchup the five months that the team has been unable to sail their AC75, Defiant. Posted on 30 Jul
America's Cup: US$35,000 set as refit minimum
NZ government has clarified the requirements which must be met obtain border exemption The New Zealand government is, from July 2020, allowing foreign flagged vessels and yachts with booked-in refits or repairs to enter New Zealand. The minimum repair/refit value has been set at NZ$50,000 (US$33,300) Posted on 29 Jul