FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Celebrity Sailors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
rogerd View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celebrity Sailors
    Posted: 10 Jan 08 at 8:43am

Your are all obviously to young to remember that one of our Prime ministers represented the uk in the Admirals cup in the seventies, won the Sydney -Hobart (i think) and was a very successful yachtman. Unfortunatley his boat "Morning Cloud" sank off Selsey Bill.

Chew my RS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 08 at 9:28am

Not too young at all - he went to my school!  But he was a yachtie.

So far we seem to have an 80's has-been rock star, a children's TV presenter and an old boat appearing on Corrie.  Does no-one even mildly famous race a dinghy at weekends?  Or are they all too busy powdering their noses for Hello magazine?

PS Edward Bonham Carter lost my money!  His sister is definitely better looking...

http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 08 at 10:16am
I remember back in the mists of time when I was campaigning a 470 one of the Spanish princesses also sailed one and did an Olympic campaign.  I think she got firmly trashed by Theresa Zabell, as we all did!
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 08 at 10:55am
Of the royal family Prince Philip, Prince Charles and Princess Anne are/were competent sailors. I believe Ann's kids can sail.
Rumour has it Paul McCartney gets out in a dinghy when on holiday, maybe even that he met Heather when out sailing a Sunfish - that was an expensive day's sailing! I've seen reports that Lennon sailed a sunfish too...

Edited by JimC
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 08 at 11:30am

Think Slowhand did some sailing, certainly had a few powerboats

Edited by Scooby_simon
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Ian S View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 08 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Chew my RS

Had a Fireball called Blue Heather I believe, as did one of the Pink Floyd guys - maybe Nick Mason?

Graham T View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graham T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 08 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Ian S

Had a Fireball called Blue Heather I believe, as did one of the Pink Floyd guys - maybe Nick Mason?

It was a Snipe called "Elfa Leather" - My father has a photo of him helping to drag it over the sand at Broadstairs in the days before the slip down the side of the pier.

Osprey 55 "Tebutinnang"
Osprey 1245 "Two Bob Bit"
Miracle 1358 "Thumper"
JohnW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 08 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Graham T

Originally posted by Ian S

It was a Snipe called "Elfa Leather" - My father has a photo of him helping to drag it over the sand at Broadstairs in the days before the slip down the side of the pier.

According to his book (and the BBC) the Snipe was called Blue Heather and his Furball was called Blue Heather II.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4692363.stm

Edited by JohnW
FireballNeil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote FireballNeil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 08 at 1:18pm
Paul McCartney definitely sails a sunfish he was in the Daily mail a while back
Neil

winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 08 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by JimC

Of the royal family Prince Philip, Prince Charles and Princess Anne are/were competent sailors. I believe Ann's kids can sail.
Rumour has it Paul McCartney gets out in a dinghy when on holiday, maybe even that he met Heather when out sailing a Sunfish - that was an expensive day's sailing! I've seen reports that Lennon sailed a sunfish too...

Oh yes, PA came to WOW back in 1988 as she is patron of the RYA.  There is an interesting photo of her sailing a 420 in an older version of Jim Saltonstall's RYA Race Training Manual.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>