FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Celebrity Sailors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
winging it View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celebrity Sailors
    Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 2:32pm
Simon le Bon was/is lead singer with Duran Duran (it's alright, I'm female; I'm allowed to know such things...)  he sails a fair bit and was best known for his capsize in his 77ft yacht 'Drum' where he became trapped inside the hull of the upturned boat when the keel fell off.

He also did the Fastnet in Drum a little while back...

more info here, if you care...
Fans1024 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fans1024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 2:53pm
James May in a 'converted' Mirror and RS400
pompeysailor View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote pompeysailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 4:36pm
years ago 'Take That' went sailing at queen mary - tried to take a photo but their security guards stopped me
Chris Bridges View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Bridges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 4:55pm

Originally posted by Fans1024

James May in a 'converted' Mirror and RS400

In a convertable (car) with a mast welded on seen attempting to cross the channel and a lake with not much luck .

Edited by Chris Bridges
49er GBR735 (for sale) - Rutland SC
Jamie600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 5:33pm

Originally posted by winging it

Simon le Bon was/is lead singer with Duran Duran (it's alright, I'm female; I'm allowed to know such things...)  he sails a fair bit and was best known for his capsize in his 77ft yacht 'Drum' where he became trapped inside the hull of the upturned boat when the keel fell off.

He also did the Fastnet in Drum a little while back...

more info here, if you care...

Come to think of it the whole band was on a yacht in the video for Rio, does that count?

RS600 1001
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 6:31pm
I was on telly once does that count? It certainly is enough for me to get on celebrity big brother!!
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 6:46pm
Depends if Catamaran Designers count!

Reg White is a member of Brightlingsea SC and comes down to our club yearly (I think)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 6:57pm
  Felpham sailing club has James Bond on their "Previous Commodores" Plaque.
HannahJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HannahJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 9:24pm
King Bhumibol  of Thailand is a sailor, represented Thailand at the fourth South East Asia Peninsular Games – which are now known as the SEA Games – in December, 1967, and won a gold medal in the OK Dinghy Class. The Thai Monarch sailed OK Dinghy No. TH 27 and his daughter, Princess Ubolratana, sailed OK Dinghy No. TH 18 and they finished equal first at the Games.

I think he also either designed or built his own boat (can't be bothered to dig out the article)
(from http://www.kingscup.com/index.cfm?eid=857)
MIRROR 64799 "Dolphin"
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail
chrisarnell1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisarnell1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 11:28pm

Right - here is my claim to fame!

Back in 1982 or thereabouts, the sailing secretary from our club handed me a letter from a girl who wanted to learn to sail.

I took her out in my fireball  quite a few times - her name was Victoria Studd & she also happened to be a TV presenter on a children's programme called "Riverside"

Sometime after we became sailing buddies, and because she now had "sailing" on her CV, she became a co-presenter on  a Southern Television / TVS / Meridan programme called "The boat show". She interviewed Peter De Savary (Americas Cup challenger in 1983) and I believe she even went to work for him in Antigua.

She's now married to Helena Bonhma Carter's brother, Edward. I met him once - wish he'd introduced me to his sister,,,,

Oh yes, she had a friend called Michaela Strachan and when I was looking for digs in London she mentioned that Michaela might have a spare room in her house....instead I went to stay with my gran in Woking

Anyway - she'll always be my personal sailing "celebrity"!

As you may have noticed I'm a muppet who couldn't spot the offer of a lifetime even if it was on a plate!

RS300 393
OK GBR 21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>