FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Celebrity Sailors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Chew my RS View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celebrity Sailors
    Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 10:55am

I saw Gryf Rhys Jones on TV the other day sailing a beautiful wooden boat.  It got me wondering if there are any famous people that race dinghies (not counting Ben and Shirley etc).  May be Jeremy Paxman relaxes by racing a Merlin on the Thames, or perhaps Stacey from Eastenders is a keen Europe sailor?  Maybe Posh and Becks keep a Laser 2000 in Dubai?

Anyone have any famous members at their club?

http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK
MRJP BUZZ 585 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MRJP BUZZ 585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Chew my RS

I saw Gryf Rhys Jones on TV the other day sailing a beautiful wooden boat.  It got me wondering if there are any famous people that race dinghies (not counting Ben and Shirley etc).  May be Jeremy Paxman relaxes by racing a Merlin on the Thames, or perhaps Stacey from Eastenders is a keen Europe sailor?  Maybe Posh and Becks keep a Laser 2000 in Dubai?

Anyone have any famous members at their club?

I saw that, i saw it to just before they race, do you know when it is on again? Really recommend it if you havent seen it. Three men in a boat i think it was called

Josh Preater

BUZZING IS FUN

winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 11:03am
Three Men in Another Boat

Interesting how much swearing went on during the 'race' and how wound up Gryf got!
Chew my RS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 11:16am

I think that's a different Nicole Kidman...

Your club is a pub?

http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK
Jamie600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 12:12pm

I've heard that Simon Le Bon (Duran Duran) sails a Graduate

RS600 1001
Chris Bridges View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Bridges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Jamie600

I've heard that Simon Le Bon (Duran Duran) sails a Graduate

Is he the drummer? Whoever the drummer is, was in Antigua sailing a Hobie from the Hotel watersports when I was there if that counts!

49er GBR735 (for sale) - Rutland SC
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 12:43pm
reckon a few darts 'stars' would be ideal as Etchells middleman or Star crew!  otherwise it would be amusing to see really annoying know-it-alls of the telly out sailing and suffering.... I'm thinking David Guest in a Tera or that smarmy judge of the BBC dancing show in any boat you care to think of, except mine!
Feeling sorry for vegans since it became the latest fad to claim you are one
Contender 541 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 1:35pm

Originally posted by turnturtle

hee hee... I want to see Jordan try to fit under the boom of a tacking contender!

I think she stands a chance now

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 1:49pm
Warren Mitchell (Alf Garnet) used to have a T24 when my Father had one.
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 08 at 1:58pm
Here's a bit of trivia. In the 1970's (I recall) a Heron Dinghy featured in a storyline in Coronation Street.

It was "built" by Len Fairclough's sidekick, who's name eludes me, in the builders yard and it was filmed sailing and being duly capsized on a nearby lake.

My Dad owned a Heron at the time and I remember the Class Association records showing a boat being registered to Granada TV.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>