FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Purchase inquiry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mikelo View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mikelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Purchase inquiry
    Posted: 20 Sep 23 at 4:14pm
Hello everyone,

I am going to buy a Marlin 13ft Ian Procton design and I am having a hard time finding similar boats and I am wondering if anyone can help me:
- Do you know how much the boat weighs, to buy a trailer.
- How much do you estimate the cost. It comes with daggerboard, rudder, one oar and two sets of sails. Attached are the pictures. I am currently being asked for about 850€ and I like it, it has emotional value in addition to what the boat itself means, but I wanted to know other valuations.

Greetings and thank you very much in advance.

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 23 at 5:53pm
It looks similar to a Lark, all up weight I'd guess not more that 150kg, maybe 200 with the launching trolly (Google suggests a hull weight of around 100kg). Value, not very much, probably no more than, say, €250 without a road base (and it would have to be complete, with reasonably usable sails and in pretty good condition to be worth that much IMO). Sentimental value though is for you to determine.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 23 at 6:27pm
Looks similar construction and age to a MK3 Gull (also Proctor) they are put for sail between £350 £750. I have a MK1 again similar construction. The fore and aft tanks had waterlogged foam that I removed. The foredeck was barely attached so well worth checking out those areas. I think you are pretty determined to buy but this might help in the negotiation.

This is what was in my forward tank, you won’t need to add a hatch, it’s all about how much you time want to spent repairing 

Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 23 at 7:46pm
Looks like the sort of boat the seller would pay you to take away!  Especially given the cost of a new road base.
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 23 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by NickA

Looks like the sort of boat the seller would pay you to take away!  Especially given the cost of a new road base.

I fear I agree. If I were purchasing I might be prepared to pay a nominal 25 quid or something, but basically as a boat with a gold anodised mast and tufnol cleats it is surely well over 50 years old and as it's of an of an obscure/extinct class, pretty much valueless.
Mikelo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mikelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 23 at 9:55pm
Really thanks for your help. I think that I should negociate.

I am going to wait for other answers but It's clear.

Really thanks to everybody
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 23 at 5:35am
Originally posted by NickA

Maybe not a future racing but there are plenty of old boats in the dinghy park that could give years of fun. Hours per year my £360 eBay 55+ year old boat is getting more use and more enjoyable sailing any boat in the past 45 years of sailing. 
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 23 at 7:37am
Where is the boat?

This will impact on value, I note that that the price quoted is in euros and the European market will be very different to the UK market.

In the UK that, bluntly, is barely worth £85 never mind £850 unless it ticks boxes for you that nothing else does. You do see similar boats for sale in places like Dartmouth and Salcombe at what seem to me to be ridiculous prices but they sell and do get used - value is in the eye of the purchaser!

Some people derive great pleasure from owning something unusual and if you're not racing the lack of available parts and sails doesn't matter. But these people tend to be enthusiasts bordering on anoraks with lots of time to spend putting their pride and joy back together.

To directly answer the question if the boat is about 12ft long it will need a Mersea 220 size trolley/trailer or equivalent. The larger, more common, 250 is likely to be very nose heavy based on my experience. New this cost approx £1200, good luck finding a used one that doesn't come with a free boat! The trolley under the boat will not fit properly on a road base and doesn't look to be very strong. The balance point also looks wrong with the axle too far forward.

Weight of the boat isnt going to be. problem, the suspension units are always at least 150kg, usually 250kg snd you wont get anywhere near the limit.

You can get a reasonable plastic GP14 with a combi for around £1200 that - in my view - would do a better job.

Edited by Paramedic - 21 Sep 23 at 7:45am
Mikelo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mikelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 23 at 7:53am
Good. Thank you very much for your informative answer.

Following the thread of the conversation:

The boat is in Murcia in the south of Spain (I am also from Spain), so it has not been very battered by the weather. I am being offered a second hand trailer with papers for 800€ for that boat, but I was looking to buy a new one as I think it would be better. Specifically I saw this one:

https://www.goliath-store.com/marine_en/light-sailing-dinghies-carts.html

The CH-3DS, which although it says that are 3.5 meters long, I think that if you leave a little over will not be a problem, plus it loads 200Kg and costs 400 €.

Regarding the boat... I have to negotiate, I think that at most I would give 400 or 500€, but I'm still waiting for more opinions. Sincerely I am a little romantic of the objects, I know that for 1000€ I can see snipes and other categories, but it seems to me in a way a little piece of history, plus it is from a friend. But I don't want to pay for the friendship either : )

Could you give me your opinion about the trailer?

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 23 at 10:48am
That price is for the trolly alone (and not the one shown but the more skeletal single spine version) the whole combination in its cheapest form is €1659. I wouldn't be spending that much on a trailer for a €250 boat*.

* mates rates and top money at that, I was being generous in my earlier post but, realistically, as Nick and Jim say, it has no real value.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>