FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Club problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
The Moo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Club problems
    Posted: 30 Nov 22 at 9:08am
Lead investigators, disciplinaries? It sounds more like a (bad) place of work than a recreational club.

I wonder how many sailing clubs have actually got working procedures ready in place to deal with such things?

If it really is this bad, think I would walk or at least take time out.
JRB12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JRB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 22 at 11:07am
Just having this conversation on a social media platform is a disciplinary offence in this club. That’s because it’s exposing these people who believe that such a conversation is bringing the club into disrepute. Yet it is they who bring the club into disrepute. They hide behind disciplinaries as a means of control. The comments to the governing body by the lead investigator were “brining the the club into disrepute”. Yet the complainant had a family member under investigation. What’s even worse, a relative of the complainant then led the disciplinary committee! Conflict of interest and corruption could not be more plainly visible!

Yes the club has its AGM but it’s controlled. In one instance when a ballot should of taken place for 2 standing for a role, a show of hands was done. You could see people looking round the room for when they needed to raise their hand. The constitution says in the case of 2 candidates a ballot is required but the chair overruled it.

People have left and started other things but as one mentioned it’s access to water. In this particular case the access is either club or commercial access. There’s no public water access. The club was meant to be a watersports club and got a substantial grant for a building (over 500,000). It was meant to be a flagship centre for the area and region, but it’s become dominated by the agenda of clique. People who were founder members and who have a long history with prior clubs feel that they must fight on for justice. This club was an amalgamation of 2 others in a flagship project. Many of one of the clubs never wanted that amalgamation.

It’s odd that such a clique would hang on to power in such a way and for what reason? Surely you would eventually be fed up of all the arguing. Which leads some to suspect there is more to it. For example, A few years ago there was a substantial loss in money and the police were involved but nothing came out of that.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 22 at 11:41am
There was some discussion on here a few years ago about a committee member who was alleged to have stolen something like a £150,000, will find it later if I can, is this the same club?
Robert
JRB12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JRB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 22 at 11:44am
No, I read that story in the local paper on line. A different club all together
Steve411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 22 at 12:09pm
That was at Chew Valley I think
Steve B
RS300 411

RS300 page
Steve411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 22 at 12:19pm
I heard of a club where the incumbent committee had been in charge for some time and there was a consensus among some members that this was to the detriment of the club, but nothing like as bad as here. The committee wanted new blood but only in 1s and 2s so they could be 'taught' how to do things the 'right' way. The only way round it was for a group of members to get together and put themselves forward at the AGM to take over all of the committee roles - but it was made clear to the membership that they had to vote the new committee in en masse and vote out the whole of the existing committee. It involved organisation and people willing to put themselves forward to take on those roles and it ended up as a palace coup.

Edited by Steve411 - 30 Nov 22 at 12:19pm
Steve B
RS300 411

RS300 page
CYHT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CYHT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 22 at 1:31pm
I think I shall answer many of these posts in good time,if I attempted to comment on all now then I’d be here till gone Christmas.At a previous AGM A group for change had collected a huge number of proxy votes for the vacant committee positions.
I approached the Commodore on the evening of the AGM and as per Club Rules said we have a the right for the elections to be by proxy,the reply was “I’ve agreed with the President it will be by a show of hands” I objected and said Club rules allow this if requested by the requisite number of members to be by Proxy,the reply was no it’s going to be a show of hands,with a further comment of “ I’m really disappointed in you “ ….guess what it was a show of hands and the incumbent cabal committee remained.

Jim Hacker
CYHT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CYHT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 22 at 2:19pm
Please see my comment re AGM.On the question of a democratic club, my private minutes from a Disciplinary Committee I sat on sadly within this club on ‘charges’ against a member for a comment on a private Facebook page.. the chairman of the committee when asked by me as to whether we are a democratic club , the comment back was,”I think you’ll find that those who do the most work have the biggest say”,to which I reiterated “so we are not democratic” ,”that’s how it is” was the reply,if we don’t find xxxx guilty then we will just **** off xxxx and xxxx.”
Sadly the wind up comment could not be further from the truth.
Jim Hacker
CYHT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CYHT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 22 at 2:30pm
The club in question is supposed to promote ALL aspects of water activity ,Cruisers,Dingy,Racing,Power Boating,Angling,Waterskiing,Diving etc etc.
Those in control are all ‘Sailors’ and probably the fairest way to say it without emotional phrases is to say they support and promote all aspects of Sail over everything else.Having an opinion not in line with theirs is a very dangerous one that I and many other former members have found out.
Jim Hacker
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 22 at 3:05pm
The thread title is by CYHT, first post by JRB 12 ??? How's that work???
Following all the clues on posts, the club I think they are talking about is well known and respected, probably won't like this thread!

Edited by 423zero - 30 Nov 22 at 3:06pm
Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>