FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recommend me a single handed dinghy please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Alfachats View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Alfachats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend me a single handed dinghy please
    Posted: 30 Sep 21 at 3:30pm
Hello all, I'm after some advice.
I'm a returning sailor, sailed a bit in my youth (Sea cadets, Royal Navy) but haven't sailed since 2004, however I now live in Falmouth and thought it was time I got back on the water instead of just looking at the water, joined a local sailing club and recently re-did my RYA level 2, throughly enjoyed sailing the Pico but realise at 51 years old and 90kgs its not the boat for me.
However because I work shifts and have weird times off I really would like to get a single hander dinghy I can have some fun with.
Ideally I'd like something I can pull up a slip by myself and something with a good turn of speed and is fun like a Pico is, I suppose the obvious choice would be a Laser but everyone has one (be nice not to follow the crowd) and TBH I've heard they can be hard work at times so I'm thinking something different.
So dinghies on my possible list are as follows: Streaker, Solo, Lightning or maybe if funds allow a Phantom.
For info, Im 51 years old and 90 kgs, basically I will be sailing on the Helford river mostly on my own, but I maybe interested in doing a bit of racing at some point, the club has handicap racing with a mix of Wayfarers, Lasers, Fusions and the odd Europe and an Ospray.

So what would you guys recommend?

Roger.

Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 21 at 3:37pm
HI Roger As a Phantom sailor i am of course biased so for fun sailing cant really fault it and sensible weight for pulling up a slip. 
Others to look at Supernova bit smaller and a few  more boats available so worth looking at.
Solo also good for your weight but a bit heavier I think.
Ok getting popular again and another good weight carrier.
Newer boats like the Aero and Dzero worth a look but might be out your budget as could be the H2.
Laser you cant really go wrong but as you said a bit boring.

find local clubs who have various boats and try to get some trial sails in and then make your choice.
Good luck
Gordon Phantom 1465

Gordon
Phantom 1430
Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 21 at 4:30pm
Gordon 1430 has sumed it up quite well .
sawman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 21 at 7:40pm
Sounds like you need an OK, or possibly phantom. 

The Ok is a nice boat to sail, and doesnt ask you to kneal on your dodgy 51 year old knees. you can have a decent race with lasers in the handicap fleet as they are similarly handicapped - hammer them upwind and. hope they don't get away off wind - interesting tactically. I have been having some great races this summer in my old OK

Edited by sawman - 30 Sep 21 at 7:43pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 21 at 8:15pm
I would really, really recommend a Laser as your first boat back.  They are ubiquitous for a reason.

If after a while you decide you something else then you can easily sell the Laser for next to no loss and will be in a better position to know what you want out of a boat.  OK, Phantom, Finn etc are highly refined, but niche boats that you wouldn’t want to buy unless you knew you did, if that makes sense. Failing a Laser, the next most obvious choice is a Solo.
Alfachats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alfachats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 21 at 10:00am
After have a good round the inter web I'm seriously considering a Solo, however they seem a tad heavy at 70kgs, is it possible to pull one up a slip on your own??
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 21 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Alfachats

After have a good round the inter web I'm seriously considering a Solo, however they seem a tad heavy at 70kgs, is it possible to pull one up a slip on your own??

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo anything but, find yourself a Phantom, Supersofa, Solution (I've got a nice one you can buy)OK, Aero or D Zero, don't visit the elephants graveyard just yet.
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 21 at 10:25am
A solo is relatively easy to handle on the slipway and lots of people that are much older than you manage them week in week out! I would agree with the advice you have received so far - something mainstream like a Solo or Laser is a great place to start. Once you get a bit more experience and decide what kind of sailing you like doing you might find you want a boat which is a bit bigger as the Solo and Laser were originally designed for people who are smaller but they will be fine for messing around in. The boats that should be on your list in the future might include Phantom, OK, Blaze, H2 and Finn. They all have pros and cons but they are going to be much more expensive that a basic Laser or Solo. Hope that helps! Helford is a great place to sail too!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 21 at 1:27pm
70kg is not bad, I have no difficulty pulling my Blaze (72kg + rig and trolly) up the slip. WRT 90kg sailor weight, Blaze carries weight well and is a hoot in a breeze. It likes open water so would suit the Helford river well and is incredibly forgiving if you get caught out by the weather, a windsurfer mate has just bought one, he has never sailed a dinghy before but is doing fine in the Blaze (pick you weather obviously). Phantom is another obvious choice but I haven't yet sailed one. The OK is a superb boat, raced them in my youth and absolutely love them, Solo also ticks a lot of boxes but I'm not a fan of FB sails on unarig boats (I had a Supernova for a season and hated it, all the bad bits of a L@ser and the horrible rig...).

If the priority is fun blasting on open water and the budget is <£2k I'd definitely suggest you have a go in a Blaze*, my holiday club has five very happy Blaze sailors, three of them new to the boat since lockdown. We only race informally so much of the sailing is just hooning around in company And the Blaze suits that perfectly (TBF I am somewhat biased Wink).

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Alfachats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alfachats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 21 at 10:22am
I'd mainly be sailing on my own, what are the Phantom and Blaze like in a capsize situation?

Then again, I am not actually considering a Laser, they just seem like good value and like some has said before are easily sold on when I want something different.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>