FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Single handed trapeze boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single handed trapeze boats
    Posted: 12 Aug 23 at 12:55pm
Skiff types may well be better in gusty conditions since the rigs tend to be more dynamic. The last thing you need on a gusty lake is an old school tree trunk rig.

My feeling though is that incredibly gusty lake and trapeze singlehander are not concepts that sit together well. It really doesn't matter how stable the boat is - well up to a point anyway - you're still going to come ashore teabagged with aching calves and frustrated because you can never get the damn boat going. Its the frustration that will be the worst bit - rather like having a high performance car or bike and being restricted to 20mph speed limits.

Edited by JimC - 12 Aug 23 at 1:02pm
NicolaJayne View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicolaJayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 23 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by JimC

Skiff types may well be better in gusty conditions since the rigs tend to be more dynamic. The last thing you need on a gusty lake is an old school tree trunk rig.

My feeling though is that incredibly gusty lake and trapeze singlehander are not concepts that sit together well. It really doesn't matter how stable the boat is - well up to a point anyway - you're still going to come ashore teabagged with aching calves and frustrated because you can never get the damn boat going.

my thoughts exactly 

i've not sailed single  handed trapeze boat, but, inland waters, barring the super  reservoirs ( or very spindly youths in the days of the 405 )   and trapeze boats of any  kind are  uneasy bedfellows  

Edited by NicolaJayne - 12 Aug 23 at 8:27pm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 23 at 1:10pm
The Farr 3.7 is designed for lightweights so at 80-85kg you are probably a bit heavy to get the best out of it. But, like the others I wouldn't consider a trapeze boat for a gusty inland lake*, you'll be at a huge disadvantage on handicap 90% of the time and the windy days will be challenging to say the least. That said it can be done if you are younger/fitter/more skilful than the average sailor. 

* The only one I'd consider would be the Vortex, it won't be competitive in the handicap fleet but it's stable enough to give an ordinary guy a chance of sailing it to its potential. My Blaze is less than ideal as it only comes into its own in a breeze but at least it's easy and it's nice to sail. 

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 20 Aug 23 at 4:58pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12