FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Single handed trapeze boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rob_H208694619 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob_H208694619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single handed trapeze boats
    Posted: 11 Aug 23 at 10:01am
Hi all, I’m looking at entering into the single handed trapeze area. I don’t particularly want a skiff as I sail on a lake that is incredibly gusty.
Ideally I would be looking for something shaped like a 505 but smaller. I don’t mind how much sail there is. I know you can single hand a 420 by moving the mast however I’m put of this as I know they did flex when the mast tension was on preventing the dagger bord form moving. (Is this still an issue with them?)

Thank you in advance
Robert
PeterG View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 23 at 11:44am
I always enjoyed sailing a Contender, though the boom is a bit low during tacks!

Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 23 at 12:56pm
A Class Cat
Catapult
Contender
Dart 15 Sport
DX 15
Farr 3.7
Musto Skiff
RS600
RS700
Shadow
Unicorn
Vortex

A quick list of singlehanded trapeze classes, as far as I can tell... it seems a lot of them are cats!

Edited by MerlinMags - 11 Aug 23 at 12:58pm
Sussex Lad View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 23 at 1:07pm
Hi Rob Smile

what's your weight? It would make a big difference regarding choice.

Personally I wouldn't sail on an incredibly gusty lake with a trapeze boat. (Maybe that's because I'm the wrong side of sixty LOL) I'm not saying it can't be done but you would need to be incredibly fast/nimble because you'll be in and out like a fiddlers elbow........It would keep you fit though Smile

Edited by Sussex Lad - 11 Aug 23 at 1:09pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob_H208694619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 23 at 3:16pm
I’m normally around 80-85kg

I sail a 505 at the moment however I’m lacking a helm, even on the relatively stable 505 I can be in and out.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob_H208694619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 23 at 3:26pm
Thanks for that,

I forgot to say I wasn’t really looking at cats however the Farr 3.7 is new to me so I will look into that
NicolaJayne View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicolaJayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 23 at 8:44pm
'lake' and 'gusty'  are terms   that   suggest  strongly away from a trapeze single hander 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob_H208694619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 23 at 11:35pm
Very true hence asking for advise on a stable one
Old bloke View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 23 at 5:11am
I would have thought that if you can sensibly sail a 505 on your water a single handed trapeze boat would be feasible. The Vortex would be the most stable. Contender is definitely pre "skiff" and nice and heavy.They are notoriously slow in light airs though

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob_H208694619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 23 at 6:20am
The contenders looking like the best bet at the moment. I forgot to say in the original posts that I didn’t particularly want a cat.
Thank you though
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>