FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Instruction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
wolfram View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Instruction
    Posted: 04 Nov 21 at 9:27am
Any tips on getting some good sailing instruction to take me from competent in a single hander all weather (only capsizing when i'm trying to hard!) to good club sailor?

I'm exploring the 'start racing' courses at my local club, be these run rather infrequently and I already race (all be it at the back of the fleet).

I know that old adage practice, practice, practice - but also value the feedback of experts.

Could tag this on to a holiday somewhere, but ideally i'd be in UK so I could bring my own boat.

Wolfram
Old bloke View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 21 at 9:44am
I would start by looking at what your class offers.
There are also a number of professional coaches ,the Mark Rushalls and Richard Whitworths etc, who don't just deal with Olympic aspirants.
However, I would start by finding the fastest teenager or uni student at the club and give them a few beer vouchers
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 21 at 10:40am
Buy "Start To Win" by Eric Twiname, read it cover to cover, then get to some class opens and hope for a long lunch break to chat to the top guys about boat setup.

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 21 at 10:58am
There used to be a fabulous Laser coaching clinic run somewhere in the Caribbean. Maybe you can find something on Google.

I know that's not very helpful, but winter coming on, ... Caribbean ... .

So, what you're looking for is something to fill in until you can get on a course.

Maybe cast your net a bit wider than your own local club, and also consider commercial sailing schools.

Read books. There are quite a few "be your own coach" books around. Start with Twiname Start to Win. And do the practices they recommend. And invest in Bethwaite High Performance Sailing and keep it on your bedtable.

Try to keep your theoretical knowledge just half a step ahead of your practical experience, so that when something new crops up you can fit it into your theoretical framework and best learn from it.

davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 21 at 11:50am
Welcome to dinghy racing.

Clive Eplett's book, see; http://clubsailor.co.uk/wp/club-sailor-from-back-to-front/book-review-by-hugh-brazier/ could have been written for you.

As you say, time on the water, practice racing and non-racing, drills all help.

Crew for someone good and who is prepared to discuss their decisions ... maybe at a regatta or championship.

Find one or two buddies who are at the same level and in the same class of boat and be practice partners ... do lots of short races with them.  Maybe hire a coach between you ... or get your fleet class captain to organise something.

Have a notebook and write down strengths and weaknesses, what you got right and what you got wrong after each race, and formulate a plan to correct them.

Whilst sailing smart is way more important than boatspeed, don't handicap yourself with kit that doesn't work.

You will learn far more sailing in a one design or class fleet than in a handicap fleet, since you will see what works and what doesn't.

I don't think that anyone that I race with would not be happy to offer advice, whether it be about tactics, rules, fitness, routing, boat set up, though the skill might be in working out the b***s**t, we are all interested in improving the quality and depth of the fleets that we sail in.

If I go skiing (which I do) or wished to play golf (which I don't), I would not hesitate to get coached.  For forty years of my sailing career dinghy racing coaching was very hard to find.  Now there are several very good coaches available (for less than a day with a ski instructor in the alps) as well as class organised schemes ... never turn down an opportunity to be coached, it can be very rewarding whatever level that you are.

I have no idea how old you are from your post, but I guess that you have not emerged through some youth training pyramid ... take heart that there have been plenty of people who have entered the sport later in life and had success at championship level.

The key thing is to short circuit the many years that it has taken to learn the hard way!

Edited by davidyacht - 04 Nov 21 at 11:52am
Happily living in the past
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 21 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by davidyacht

Clive Eplett's book, see; http://clubsailor.co.uk/wp/club-sailor-from-back-to-front/book-review-by-hugh-brazier/ could have been written for you.

It was  Thumbs Up
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 21 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by fab100

Originally posted by davidyacht

It was  Thumbs Up
Did any of my suggestions meet with your approval?
Happily living in the past
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 21 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Brass

There used to be a fabulous Laser coaching clinic run somewhere in the Caribbean. Maybe you can find something on Google.

I know that's not very helpful, but winter coming on, ... Caribbean ... .

That would be Ari Barshi on Dom Rep, Cabarete, lot of good guys go there, but to me as different a thing sailing a Laser in warm blue waters to racing in a grubby green puddle.. Chalk & Cheese don't think it will help much, maybe with fitness and boat handling
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 21 at 8:02pm
Warm blue waters ...

Descriptions I read said it was a very methodical program.
ohFFsake View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ohFFsake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 21 at 12:39pm
Remember practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent! If you are doing something wrong more practice simply makes it more ingrained!

So as others have said, I'd recommend a balance of theoretical knowledge, coaching and practice. Also, racing is not always the best way to get better at racing. You aren't really learning much about tactics if you aren't keeping up with the fleet, and you won't learn much about sailing faster when you are at the back and trying to catch up, all you tend to do is repeat the same things right or wrong.

However an hour spent practicing (eg) windward mark roundings when not racing, when you aren't under pressure and trying to rush, when you can experiment with different ideas and see what works and what to avoid, will teach you more than dozens of races. Even more so if you have read up beforehand and / or have someone who can coach helping you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>