FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BAR personnel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
ttc546 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ttc546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BAR personnel
    Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 7:45am
If you compare BAR to Oracle alone, then possibly, Yes, they weren't so bad. But TNZ were just the next level up.....  BAR need to push the envelope next time, whatever type of boats get sailed.

I watched all the racing on the TV and thought the racing was far better than many would have believed at the beginning. Some really exciting stuff.

Well deserved win TNZ.
ohFFsake View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ohFFsake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 12:02am
Am I the only one here thinking maybe BAR don't look quite so bad after all, in the light of the drubbing Oracle received. Ben took as many race wins from them as Oracle did, from fewer races sailed.

Ainslie arguably seemed to come out of the series with the best record in the pre-starts too, so it must auger well for their next campaign?
ColH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 17 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by NickM

And now we don't seem to do politics very well either...

If in doubt...... just go sailing instead  Smile

NickM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 17 at 4:50pm
Notl: I remember reading that MITI (the Japanese Ministry of International Trade and Industry) issued a report a few years back which assessed the Brits as among the most creating and original thinkers in the world in both Art and Science.

Our problem is that all too often we Brits are incapable of bringing new inventions to market without foreign investment = ownership, not to mention being able to run a big manufacturing corporation effectively.

And now we don't seem to do politics very well either...
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 17 at 9:53am
Well, heat has been applied, and, like my bread, BAR are now toast...

ttc546 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ttc546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 17 at 9:28am
Well, I guess a lot of post-mortem activity will now take place amongst BAR. I do hope the next cup will be in the same boats as I have found them exciting and also believe there is a ton more potential to master them better next round. Its clear the AC50's are quite different to theAC45's in the ACWS and its a shame that there really wasnt enough time for any team to really master these new beasts. The time given to practice as ruled by the ACEA was definitely inadequate and probably contributed to the rather scarey accidents/incidents that happened.

Artemis seem to be doing an Oracle-type comeback so still lots more drama to unfold before the Challenger finals and then the AC-proper
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 17 at 8:14am
Only downside of the bikes I could see was their lack of cyclers 'movability'. Had the crash been with ETNZ rather than Japan, I suspect the outcome would've been horrific.
ClubRacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 17 at 11:32pm
"Creative inventive thinkers are put down as stupid in the UK."

You must be mad? There are currently 10 teams in formula 1 this season, 8? of them have their factories here in the UK. The 3 leading Chief Engineers are all English and were educated here in the UK

As for using cycles to grind hydraulic pressure I don't think i saw at any point any team suffer with insufficient pressure to run their systems. You could see the Kiwi's sailed their boat a lot better than BAR at the beginning but you could see in the last 2 races BAR was able to match them in the majority of their maneuvers inc. Sailing 100% in the air. Also IIRC Ken Read said that BAR won the most starts out of everyone during the event so far so starting wasn't the factor in our demise 

423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 17 at 10:06pm
Notl
Never heard of the industrial revolution ? 
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 17 at 10:03pm
Much smaller budget, too. Not convinced there are fewer "thinkers" on the team. Almost too many, rather than NZ's quite conservative approach. Cycles were a risk which paid off, but other than that, they have simply sailed well.

Was really impressed by the last race they won. Went to yoga before the last loss, but gather it was lost on the start. BA won plenty of them, though, and you can't win them all at this level.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>