URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9915
Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 1:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which is easier to sail
Posted By: ajbaldwin
Subject: Which is easier to sail
Date Posted: 09 Oct 12 at 2:21pm
Greetings all

I am trying to return to sailing after 20 years (not sailed since I was a kid)

There are a couple of club boats that I can take out

One is a fairly tired looking Laser XD

The other is a RS FEVA (which is would sail without jib)

I am 6ft 2" and 15st

I am leaning towards the Feva because of my size 

What are your thoughts??

Replies:
Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 09 Oct 12 at 2:37pm
I don't suppose it much matters initially, but when you've got back in the swing of things a bit the Laser will probably be better.

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 09 Oct 12 at 2:39pm
The Feva will feel tiny - it really has everything sized for children and teens.

The only reason to get a Feva would be to put all 3 sails up at once and have some fun with that, but even then there are better boats out there for someone of your size to do that with.

Get the Laser, I'd say.

-------------
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Posted By: pondmonkey
Date Posted: 09 Oct 12 at 2:43pm
Laser- or maybe a Solo or Phantom if they are also sailed at your club.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 12 at 2:43pm
I suppose my issue is with the boom height as the laser looks a little low whilst I get use to sailing again, I wanted a nice easy boat to learn in again

The club also has a Vision and a Pico that I can take out, but the vision looked huge to sail on my own

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 09 Oct 12 at 2:50pm
Yeah, the Vision is a bit of a lump on your own. It really doesn't matter much for the first few trips, so if you feel a bit happier with the Feva then why not. After all you don't weigh more than two teenagers.

If it comes to buying boats its another game, but you're being completely sensible sticking to club boats initially.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 12 at 2:56pm
Sadly the club doesn't have a Phantom as I think that would be a good fit for me

I take it the Pico is a child's boat (although they do look easy to sail)

Date Posted: 09 Oct 12 at 3:02pm
yep it is... and Jim's right, sticking with the club boats while you find your feet is a good idea.

buying boats is a different ball game...

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 12 at 3:15pm
Yeh i have no plans to buy a boat until I can sail the club ones to a half decent standard

But my issue is I am not a big fan of the laser and the choice is rather limited in club boats as they mostly have the Tera and Pico to learn in

Date Posted: 09 Oct 12 at 3:20pm
just use the Feva then AJ... that's the beauty of a club which offers club boats, you not committing to anything.  If you then fancy having a ride in the Laser one weekend, there's nothing stopping you.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 12 at 3:45pm
Cool, I am going up the club next Saturday so i will give the Feva a go

Posted By: radixon
Date Posted: 09 Oct 12 at 6:51pm
Give the Feva a go but without the jib, the boat doesn't sail well. I tried but it didnt respond well, I felt that was down to the lack of forward mast tension. I tried to "rig" a jib in the form of a fore stay but that didon't really work.

I'd say an RS Qba is better to sail singlehanded than a Feva. Similar cockpit an two different sails too.
Otherwise I'd go for the Laser, loads about and has progression. 

-------------

Posted By: Mister Nick
Date Posted: 09 Oct 12 at 9:58pm
Definitely a Laser. It's not fundamentally a difficult boat to sail but it'll be difficult to sail really well, which means you'll always have a challenge and a chance for progression. In the Feva you will very quickly end up feeling like it can't take you any further. The bonus of the Laser is that there are so many around - you're always going to have someone to give you advice and help you out.

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 10 Oct 12 at 10:03am
The Vision with just the main is a good boat to get you back on the water and sailing IMO. It is a bit on the big side but as long as it is not too windy you will be fine and you can check your tacking and gybing technique. 

You can also reef the main if you need to. 

I have had our club Vision out in some pretty strong winds with the just main up and it was perfectly manageable and fairly well behaved.

With regards to the Laser I am 6ft 1 and 13.5 st and I don't have issues with the boom it all comes down to technique. The only time I struggle a little is when it is windy and I have a serious amount of kicker on. Block to block you should be fine just be positive through the tacks.

Then once you have decided you want to sail again buy a boat that is a better fit such as a Phantom, Blaze, Finn, D-one etc...

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Date Posted: 10 Oct 12 at 2:33pm
HMM

I think I will just persevere with it and give them all a go, if I can get my wife to crew I will try the Vision as well

Date Posted: 10 Oct 12 at 2:38pm

Originally posted by ajbaldwin

HMM

I think I will just persevere with it and give them all a go, 

best way for sure Thumbs Up  Good luck and please keep posting, it's always great to hear from new people.

-------------

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a005e'

Invalid use of Null: 'Replace'

/Forum/functions/functions_format_post.asp, line 959