URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9708
Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 12:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Summing up ...
Posted By: 2547
Subject: Summing up ...
Date Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 1:55pm
Just been watching the 470s on TV ....

Well now it's all over for GBR what are our thoughts on the event?

Here are mine:

- 5 medals for GBR, good team effort ahead of the public target of 4. I am sure they hoped for more but given the uncontrolable factors I think 5 is a great results
- Congratulations to AUS who done us in our own back yard
- Nothe course was poor and too fluky for events of this type
- TV coverage was excellent; commentary improved I thought. No mention of the joker in latter programmes so perhaps they read this?
- No GPS tracking was dissapointing
- We were lucky with the Weather
- Looked well organised and Weymouth put on a good show
- All bodes well for Rio; who will we see switch to kites?

Replies:
Posted By: pondmonkey
Date Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 2:29pm
Excellent results from an excellent team... got to be happy with that given the conditions and format.

I thought both Golds were well deserved from the antipodeans today, they won on the water fair and square and the Silvers are still monumental victories for the two British crews.  

Great racing to watch- biggest surprise personally was watching the Finns, loved it.  Want one, want somewhere local to sail against more of them.  And that isn't Anslieism.... JHC was totally inspiring to watch and there were other moments of brilliance that just captivated me throughout the coverage.    

Biggest disappointment... 49ers, DULL.  Made me realise I've been wrong about a lot when it comes to potential televised sailing... this was the first true test- 5 minutes on youtube is just not the same as watching an entire race like we've been lucky enough to have this time.  There's no spectacle in watching a skiff go fast, it doesn't hold your attention like a tactical race.

Biggest loser- match racing.... kicked out from Rio before they had a chance to shine.  For established sailors this has been great to watch imho.  With more time and an AC coming up, the format would really come into its own as technical, tactical piece of televised sailing for the genuine sailing audience.  

Still just about hanging on to still giving a crap.... RS:X.  Despite the great respect I have for both british athletes, watching them didn't make me want to reach for my board and go race.  Maybe if it were a slalom format it would be more relevant?  The only reason for caring is that I think kite racing will be even worse to watch and obviously I empathise with those who've followed a pathway only to have ISAF switch the torch off without due notice.  It deserves one more games.... but in truth come 2020 I couldn't give a fig if there wasn't a board discipline at all.  

Best moment- Sas giving Hannah a hug....  legends.  

Harshest moment - Goody's interview with Penny Clark.  He's a true athlete and I hope he bounces back into something else for Rio.  

To finish on a positive note - absolutely amazing supporting infrastructure from the Y&Y team.  Thank you Gael Mark (& Tom for snapping it all).... you enabled us all to engage and really enjoy it and that is genuinely appreciated by all of us.  Thank you so much for all your hard work!    Roll on Rio... 

Posted By: alstorer
Date Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 2:34pm
Aye- it is important to remember that the 470 Silver were hugely ahead of the rest of the fleet, and only just behind the winners, who are class acts- no shame is losing out to them.

-------------
-_
Al

Posted By: G.R.F.
Date Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 2:40pm
Well apart from the obvious annoyance that the convicts have bettered our gold haul, our guys have done us proud. As to the coverage, in all seriousness I consider us lucky to even be able to complain about the commentating t**sers, it's the best televised sailing I've ever witnessed and I've actually learned stuff from watching, got my pumping technique totally dialled, watching that downwind laser bear right off to clew first wave riding inspired to to heroics last night that I normally would push my luck at. Really annoyed a dentists appointment robbed me of the mens 470 and the wimmens start (I gather the Kiwis visit to the doctor paid off).

So summing up, I'm really going to miss having it to watch and have increased my respect of our guys (and theirs) a thousand fold, maybe some dinghy sailors aren't such t**sers after all, even though they could still learn a thing or to from the dusty old windsurf racers tactics book here and there.Wink

And +1 on 2547's more factual summing up.

-------------
https://www.ease-distribution.com/" rel="nofollow - https://www.ease-distribution.com/

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a005e'

Invalid use of Null: 'Replace'

/Forum/functions/functions_format_post.asp, line 959