Forum Discription: Questions & tips on the subject
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=956
Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 7:05am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: non slip floor
Posted By: mnorman
Subject: non slip floor
Date Posted: 21 Aug 05 at 9:28pm

Just sailing a wooden self draining Phantom, with a curved floor, its painted with international deck paint, which is a bit gritty.

But I am still slipping all over the place, spend a fair bit of time on one knee or other, so don't want anything thats going to shred me legs!!

Any recommendations of either a good non slip idea,  or failing that some real grippy boot recommendations!

Replies:
Posted By: Contender443
Date Posted: 22 Aug 05 at 8:02am

Sheets of progrip would be best. You will need to sand back to a smooth surface and then apply with evostick.

A lot of Contenders progrip the inside of their hulls for downwind sailing when we kneel in the bottom of the boat. It can also be used to trapeze off in marginal conditions.

-------------
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764

Posted By: Phil eltringham
Date Posted: 22 Aug 05 at 9:41am
the other trick is to mix up some expoxy with sugar in.  paint it onto the deck, leave it to dry then rince it.  The water washes the sugar off the top and leaves a pitted surface which is grippy but will not shread your knees.  never tried it myself but know people who swear by it

-------------
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen

Posted By: redback
Date Posted: 22 Aug 05 at 7:15pm
Oh what a lot of complexity - haven't you heard of Sex Wax?  Its the stuff surfers use on their boards.  Rub it on any surface you might tread on and you will not slip.  Its cheaper and lighter than progrip and doesn't damage your wetsuit like abrasives.  I sail a 4000 - the crew has to put one foot in front of the shrouds when beating in light winds.  Although there is no texture there he has no trouble because of the wax.

Posted By: jpbuzz591
Date Posted: 22 Aug 05 at 8:08pm

What about investing in some knee pads if you're on your knees a lot of the time

-------------
Jp Indoe
Contender 518
Buzz591
Chew Valley Sailing club
Bristol

Posted By: mnorman
Date Posted: 22 Aug 05 at 8:39pm

thanks for the replies, i use kneepads, except  last weekend when i forgot them, and found out how abrasive the deck is!!!   i still slip though, althoough it might have been on all the skin I was leaving.

Never thought of the wax, just off to find a surfing mate to blag some!! 

thanks  Mark

Posted By: timnoyce
Date Posted: 23 Aug 05 at 7:05pm
sex wax is the way forward. I had an issue where my pro grip fell off so i waxed up  basically the whole boat and was blown away by the grippyness! It truely is amazing. You may as well buy a few blocks of the stuff as it is only about £1 a block and then apply before you go each time. I swear by it now, never going back to pro grip.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/bearfootdesign - BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb

Posted By: sailor girl
Date Posted: 23 Aug 05 at 7:27pm
sex wax is awesome and smells gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!

Posted By: ssailor
Date Posted: 24 Aug 05 at 8:59pm
Not that type of sex wax sailor girl!

-------------
Any one in need of quality carbon fibre work (tillers etc) at decent prices!

Int 14 Gbr 1244 'Nucking Futs'

The New Port rule!!.

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a005e'

Invalid use of Null: 'Replace'

/Forum/functions/functions_format_post.asp, line 959