Forum Discription: Discuss the rules and your interpretations here
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9435
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 8:40pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rule 69 - where are the limits
Posted By: gordon
Subject: Rule 69 - where are the limits
Date Posted: 28 May 12 at 6:23pm
In recent months I have been involved in several rule 69 hearings involving complaints about the use of bad or insulting language on the water.

Reactions vary from:

- it was time someone put a stop to this inappropriate behaviour
- what is all the fuss about, swearing and insulting the competitors is part of the fun.

Where do you all think the limit should be? Have standards of what is acceptable changed? When do you think it appropriate that sanctions be imposed?

-------------
Gordon

Replies:
Posted By: rogerd
Date Posted: 28 May 12 at 6:52pm
unfortunately the f word has become so much part of the common language amongst some younger people it has lost its value when your really f*****g p****d off.

There is no need for bad and insulting language on or off the water, but then I am of an age when I was shocked as a small boy when my mum said Damn.

Seriously bad language in the young has become normal and acceptable so what may be acceptable in some fleets and clubs is certainly not acceptable in others. Very difficult to draw the line. Personally I would say that it is unacceptable to upset other water users.

Posted By: bustinben
Date Posted: 28 May 12 at 8:21pm
Quite simple I think:  If you swear, who cares.

If you swear at someone, that's something else.

Think about the difference between:
Bad mark rounding, got a boat up the chuff on the windward quarter, getting destroyed by the boat in front ...  "F*** you f****king **** why did you do that!!"
vs
Someone just gets room at the mark, you point at them and shout at them "F*** you f****king ****".

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a005e'

Invalid use of Null: 'Replace'

/forum/functions/functions_format_post.asp, line 959