Print Page | Close Window

Do you like the new look?

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: Your ideas for this website
Forum Name: Your thoughts for YachtsandYachting.com
Forum Discription: What do you think we should be featuring on YachtsandYachting.com
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8807
Printed Date: 21 Sep 19 at 12:48am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Do you like the new look?
Posted By: Mark Jardine
Subject: Do you like the new look?
Date Posted: 27 Dec 11 at 2:07pm
Hi all

I hope you all had a great Christmas.

I've now set the new-look YachtsandYachting.com live. At the moment the sections you'll notice a real difference on are the homepage, news articles, photos, weather, advertisers and jobs sections.

We'll be rolling out the other sections in the new format as when we develop them.

If you prefer the old version then you can still use it at http://old.yachtsandyachting.com - old.yachtsandyachting.com !

Many thanks, Mark

Replies:
Posted By: Rockhopper
Date Posted: 27 Dec 11 at 2:49pm
Yes it looks great easy to navigate around all of it

-------------
Retired now after 35 seasons in a row and time for a rest

Posted By: ex laser
Date Posted: 27 Dec 11 at 3:43pm
yes. looks good.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Dec 11 at 3:45pm
but gives me an error message when i post!

-------------

Posted By: timeintheboat
Date Posted: 27 Dec 11 at 3:49pm
Looks good - articles in particular. One point, the sub-menu allows a split between dinghies and yachts in the sub menu but having selected an article there is no obvious navigation back on the article page. Perhaps it just needs a button to allow navigation back to the section the article belongs to,

-------------
Like some other things - sailing is more enjoyable when you do it with someone else

Posted By: Jon711
Date Posted: 27 Dec 11 at 3:54pm
Interestingly, after reading the story of the loading of the VOR's on the IPad, pressed the back button and it took me to the old front page - when I was originally on the very good new front page previously!!

Jon

-------------
Blaze 711

Date Posted: 27 Dec 11 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by ex laser

Just working on that Confused forum posting is working but the mailer is having an issue with it. Also just had to do a bit of a modification on the Facebook like button on news articles - just sorted now.

Date Posted: 27 Dec 11 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Jon711

Interestingly, after reading the story of the loading of the VOR's on the IPad, pressed the back button and it took me to the old front page - when I was originally on the very good new front page previously!!

Jon

Probably a caching issue. If you reload the homepage it should load it properly.

Date Posted: 27 Dec 11 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Mark Jardine

Just working on that Confused forum posting is working but the mailer is having an issue with it. Also just had to do a bit of a modification on the Facebook like button on news articles - just sorted now.

I think I've just sorted this issue Smile

Posted By: radixon
Date Posted: 27 Dec 11 at 9:36pm
It has brought a fresh look to the site. As the magazine has had a new look it is good to see the website doingso as well.

Well done to Mark and Mags for the work they have done.

-------------

Posted By: Contender 541
Date Posted: 27 Dec 11 at 9:43pm
one word - Tidy

-------------
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Posted By: laser193713
Date Posted: 27 Dec 11 at 11:18pm
Generally not a bad look but the news articles need a slightly more defined separation between them i think... there is something not quite right about it although that could just be the shock of looking at a new page which was so familiar before!?  You have obviously had a far more productive christmas than me!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Dec 11 at 11:37pm

thanks

-------------

Posted By: MerlinMags
Date Posted: 28 Dec 11 at 9:06am
Originally posted by radixon

Well done to Mark and Mags for the work they have done.

Ah, don't credit me! Mark has done all the whizzy stuff for this project. Bit he's told me to fix the forum problem, since that is far more boring...

Posted By: John Shelton
Date Posted: 28 Dec 11 at 10:28am
Good job. Nice to see all the trade spam separated from the dinghy and keelboat sections - although I appreciate it is the life blood of the website
Much more readable!

Date Posted: 28 Dec 11 at 10:49am
Originally posted by John Shelton

Good job. Nice to see all the trade spam separated from the dinghy and keelboat sections - although I appreciate it is the life blood of the website. Much more readable!

Hi John

The trade news will still be within the categories that it's relevant too. The great thing is that our marketing partners have really worked out how to make their news interesting - two of the most read articles from the last fortnight are commercial press releases!

Cheers, Mark

Posted By: G.R.F.
Date Posted: 28 Dec 11 at 11:31am
I like the position of the Latest news which now occasionally has me reading stuff, spooky how my picture appears at the bottom of the article, then spotted it as either my facebook or google+ I.D. So yes vast improvement, bang up to date, like it a lot.

-------------

https://www.edgeactionsports.co.uk/products/kali-chakra-helmet" rel="nofollow - Bike helmet sale

Posted By: stevejarrett
Date Posted: 28 Dec 11 at 8:27pm
Don't seem to able to post anything .... some sort of access error !!

Posted By: Teamvmg
Date Posted: 29 Dec 11 at 1:46am
The refresh looks good

I see that banque Populaire is still a keelboat though! I suppose that Vx40s and AC45s will be too!

Date Posted: 29 Dec 11 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Teamvmg

I see that banque Populaire is still a keelboat though! I suppose that Vx40s and AC45s will be too!

I have that dilemma all the time! There are of course many types of multihull that aren't keelboats / don't have any lead, but I try to put the reports into the category where they are most 'at home'. The Extreme 40's are the ones that blur the line most I guess - I think the AC45 fit in the keelboat category just because they are America's Cup.

Posted By: Andymac
Date Posted: 29 Dec 11 at 11:51am

Originally posted by Teamvmg

I have that dilemma all the time! There are of course many types of multihull that aren't keelboats / don't have any lead, but I try to put the reports into the category where they are most 'at home'. The Extreme 40's are the ones that blur the line most I guess - I think the AC45 fit in the keelboat category just because they are America's Cup.

Like the look of the new site. Well done with all the hard work.

[Maybe the 'America's Cup' category should now be moved to the multihull section?]

EDIT; OOPS! it has beenEmbarrassed

Posted By: gbr940
Date Posted: 03 Jan 12 at 9:42am
DeadDeadDead

Eeeuuuggghhh...major dislike to the new website. Too complex and if you only have 20secs to glance and see whats worth reading you can't do it with the new layout. I'm sure like Facebook profiles it will take ages to like but currently I'll be using the old one for as long as its available!!

ConfusedOuchCry

-------------
RS100 GBR159

Date Posted: 03 Jan 12 at 9:52am
Originally posted by gbr940

DeadDeadDead

Eeeuuuggghhh...major dislike to the new website. Too complex and if you only have 20secs to glance and see whats worth reading you can't do it with the new layout. I'm sure like Facebook profiles it will take ages to like but currently I'll be using the old one for as long as its available!!

ConfusedOuchCry

I knew I wouldn't be able to please everyone with the new website which is exactly why I setup http://old.yachtsandyachting.com - old.yachtsandyachting.com . This will remain available for you since it picks up exactly the same database content as the new site.

Posted By: rogue
Date Posted: 16 Jan 12 at 1:46pm
Mark- [tube] code, does this require approval or moderation before it's publicly available to view?

Date Posted: 16 Jan 12 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by rogue

Mark- [tube] code, does this require approval or moderation before it's publicly available to view?

No, tube code doesn't require moderation. The post itself was irrelevant and unsuitable and so was deleted.

Posted By: rogue
Date Posted: 16 Jan 12 at 2:02pm
fair enough ;-)

Posted By: Sprint Bob
Date Posted: 16 Jan 12 at 6:35pm

Hi all

I've now set the new-look YachtsandYachting.com live. At the moment the sections you'll notice a real difference on are the homepage, news articles, photos, weather, advertisers and jobs sections.

We'll be rolling out the other sections in the new format as when we develop them.

If you prefer the old version then you can still use it at http://old.yachtsandyachting.com - old.yachtsandyachting.com !

Many thanks, Mark
Hi Mark
I think the new look on the home page looks nice and clean but then when it comes to using it it is not as functional as the old one. Specifically if you want to refer to a news article that was a few days (or weeks) ago the show more feature is slow and inconvenient. To keep clicking to reveal an extra few lines at the bottom is painful. The old version use to jump quickly and show pages at the bottom so you could jump 5 pages at a time to speed it up. For this reason I'm grateful you have kept the old version an option.
Regards
Bob

Date Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 8:06am
Hi Mark

I think this one comes under the it's just me category, but I am finding the home page really slow to load - once loaded, then no problem, away we go.
My situation when browsing at work is that as I work for a Spanish (Basque) company, all internet requests go from the UK to Spain (server location) and then back. 
Interestingly, I have not seen any slow down on other picture and link heavy sites, so if there is something going on in the background of the site that can be changed to improve loading speed, I for one would be a happy bunny

-------------
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Posted By: Rob.e
Date Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 8:43am
For some reason when I click the button to view the last unread post it takes me much further back so it takes me ages to find what I'm looking for! Is this just me?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Contender 541

Hi Mark

I think this one comes under the it's just me category, but I am finding the home page really slow to load - once loaded, then no problem, away we go.
My situation when browsing at work is that as I work for a Spanish (Basque) company, all internet requests go from the UK to Spain (server location) and then back. 
Interestingly, I have not seen any slow down on other picture and link heavy sites, so if there is something going on in the background of the site that can be changed to improve loading speed, I for one would be a happy bunny

I'm guessing that you're using Internet Explorer 7 at work - there is definitely an issue with how IE7 handles the page and it can cause problems and slow loading.

I'm developing a 'lite' version of the homepage which will automatically load with IE7 (IE6 already automatically redirects to old.yachtsandyachting.com . It's not that much work so shouldn't be too long to do. I'll keep you posted.

Give me a shout if you're not using IE7 - Always good to know what issues the new site has!

Posted By: Roger
Date Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Rob.e

For some reason when I click the button to view the last unread post it takes me much further back so it takes me ages to find what I'm looking for! Is this just me?

No... not just you, it has been happening for me too, I've had to give up using the last unread and try and guess which page its on and go there, the number of unread posts in a thread is accurate, its just the link...
Bit of a pain sometimes, but I get by which is probably why I haven't pointed it out before.

While I'm posting, however.............

Firefox works brilliantly but.....

IE9....

Loads very slowly, as some others have just said, it has to be something to do with the code as loads very fast in Firefox on the same connection and PC.
When I click on "dinghies" from the menu below the picture the formatting goes to pieces vertically, or at least it does in what I would call the center frame (design and code has moved on so much since I used to do it). I hope the screenshots illustrate this, note the size of the scroll bar to show how "long" the page has become.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 1:01pm

I get that one too on Windows 8.  I dont even bother with the last unread button at home and just guess the page

-------------

Crew on 505 8780

Date Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 1:06pm

Hi Mark

I'm guessing that you're using Internet Explorer 7 at work - there is definitely an issue with how IE7 handles the page and it can cause problems and slow loading.

I'm developing a 'lite' version of the homepage which will automatically load with IE7 (IE6 already automatically redirects to old.yachtsandyachting.com . It's not that much work so shouldn't be too long to do. I'll keep you posted.

Give me a shout if you're not using IE7 - Always good to know what issues the new site has!

IE8 at work and home - no speed problems at home, but home does suffer from 'last unread post' problems (Windows 7)

-------------

Crew on 505 8780

Date Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Roger

IE9....

Loads very slowly, as some others have just said, it has to be something to do with the code as loads very fast in Firefox on the same connection and PC.
When I click on "dinghies" from the menu below the picture the formatting goes to pieces vertically, or at least it does in what I would call the center frame (design and code has moved on so much since I used to do it). I hope the screenshots illustrate this, note the size of the scroll bar to show how "long" the page has become.

That is very odd indeed - does this only happen on the Dinghies tab? If so, it'll be much easier for me to identify the problem in the code.

Many thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Date Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 1:33pm
Ditto everyone else, there does appear to be a little glitch with 'unread post' clicks taking me randomly into the thread. I was also on the dinghy section catching up just now... left halfway through... when I came back all the previously unread posts had disappeared/reset. (Windows Vista/IE...sorry don't know version).

Date Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 1:39pm
Mark

Just checked it and yes only happens on the "dinghies" tab, "keelboats", "most read" etc all format correctly.
Hope this helps

Date Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 4:00pm

IE9....

That is very odd indeed - does this only happen on the Dinghies tab? If so, it'll be much easier for me to identify the problem in the code.

I think I may have just sorted this! Could you give it a go?

Date Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 4:24pm

IE9....

Well done Mark, works fine now on all the tabs.

Thanks
Roger

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 4:34pm
Was OK until  half an hour ago, now when I click on "new posts" I get an error:

Server Error in Forum Application
An error has occurred while writing to the database.
Please contact the forum administrator.

Support Error Code:- err_SQLServer_getSessionData()_save_new_session_data
File Name:- functions_session_data.asp

Error details:-
M**rosoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK__tblSession__5B78929E'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.tblSession'. The duplicate key value is (1714b9cb-85e6-16e399a1-796c91ad-6b5529b1).

Date Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 5:00pm

IE9....

Well done Mark, works fine now on all the tabs.

Thanks
Roger

Roger, thank you very much indeed for posting the screenshots - that really helped me narrow down what the problem actually was. Bizarrely I couldn't 'see' a difference in the code, but when I copied the exact same code from the keelboat section and changed the references to dinghies it worked!

So all in all, I still don't know what caused the problem, but it's fixed now so I don't really care!

I've also just fixed a small css problem which showed up after the initial fix.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 6:04pm
It's all gobbledegook to me Mark/Mags, but really appreciate all the effort put in behind the scenes to keep things running.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 12 at 1:15pm

Originally posted by gbr940

DeadDeadDead

ConfusedOuchCry

I knew I wouldn't be able to please everyone with the new website which is exactly why I setup http://old.yachtsandyachting.com - old.yachtsandyachting.com . This will remain available for you since it picks up exactly the same database content as the new site.
Hi Mark
Using the old format now gives the following message when trying to open a report off the Home page.
Cheers
Bob

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 12 at 1:45pm

IE9....

Been keeping an eye on this over the last couple of days and happy to say much, much faster

Thanks Mark

-------------

Crew on 505 8780

Date Posted: 20 Jan 12 at 1:49pm
Hi Bob

Many thanks for pointing this out - it's now fixed.

Cheers, Mark

Date Posted: 20 Jan 12 at 2:39pm

Hi Bob

Many thanks for pointing this out - it's now fixed.

Cheers, Mark
Thanks - it works now.
Cheers
Bob

Date Posted: 20 Jan 12 at 7:12pm

IE9....

Been keeping an eye on this over the last couple of days and happy to say much, much faster

Thanks Mark

I can confirm also that not only is the dinghy tab now working perfectly, but the site loads just as fast on IE9 now as it does on Firefox, maybe related problem or you've done something else...Wink

Date Posted: 20 Jan 12 at 7:47pm

I can confirm also that not only is the dinghy tab now working perfectly, but the site loads just as fast on IE9 now as it does on Firefox, maybe related problem or you've done something else...Wink

The problems were one and the same and those screen-grabs made it much easier to identify!

Posted By: Rob.e
Date Posted: 21 Jan 12 at 9:23am
Still no luck with the "last post viewed" thing, any thoughts on that, Mark?

-------------

Posted By: Jon711
Date Posted: 21 Jan 12 at 1:40pm

Still no luck with the "last post viewed" thing, any thoughts on that, Mark?

Yeah, I've been having that problem too, on the desktop (running W7), the laptop (running vista), the IPad, and the Iphone. Just always assumed that it was my incompetence....

Jon

-------------
Blaze 711

Posted By: laser193713
Date Posted: 21 Jan 12 at 4:43pm
Works fine for me on Chrome running on windows 7

-------------

Posted By: maxibuddah
Date Posted: 15 Feb 12 at 7:24pm
Mark,
would it be worth constraining the width of the forum page container so that it sits within the boundary of the menu bar as per all the other pages on the site? At the moment to my eye it doesn't look coherent, you've got page widths jumping all over the place. I'm using a 1600 px wide monitor, so I guess that on a smaller one - 1024 px - it wouldn't be a problem. The container/div housing the home page is only 960px wide whereas on the forum it expands to 100%
Ian

-------------
Everything I say is my opinion, honest

Date Posted: 16 Feb 12 at 3:18pm
Hi Ian

Yes, it's something we're going to do (together with the other sections on the site that need to be changed to the new look / format).

Cheers, Mark

Posted By: maxibuddah
Date Posted: 16 Feb 12 at 7:39pm
thanks Mark, looks good though overall

-------------
Everything I say is my opinion, honest

Posted By: catmandoo
Date Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 12:24pm
am finding the font and light blue in the reports hard on eyes and scrappy looking , using chrome and aol , looks like a bad photocopy from the old days 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 12 at 1:50pm
looking fine now ????? not sure what was going on

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 12 at 7:01pm
I have heard of this problem before on Chrome - I have no idea what causes it (Google didn't help me much in my research!)

Date Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 1:04pm
Thanks thought I was going nutz , see its doing a chrome thing today again fine on aol . 

keep up the good work 

thanks 

-------------

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 27 Feb 12 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by catmandoo

Thanks thought I was going nutz , see its doing a chrome thing today again fine on aol . 

keep up the good work 

thanks 

I had that, fine one minute and looking out of focus the next. I guess it is a rendering issue of some kind. As to how to fix it I am no website man!

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
D-Zero GBR188 https://www.facebook.com/groups/dinghies/permalink/2384300638276034/?sale_post_id=2384300638276034" rel="nofollow - For Sale
Ex Laser/8.1
Ex

Date Posted: 12 Jun 12 at 8:37am
Hi all

I've implemented the latest change on the http://www.yachtsandyachting.com - home page of YachtsandYachting.com

Try scrolling to the bottom of the page and see what happens! Theoretically you can carry on scrolling back to 1995... (please, for your sake, don't try this).

Also all the tabbed news (Dinghy/Keelboat/Industry etc.) now only loads once clicked making the initial page load much faster.

Hope you like the changes!

Cheers, Mark

Posted By: winging it
Date Posted: 12 Jun 12 at 8:43am
that'll be something to play with during those insomniac nights then, very good!

-------------
the same, but different...

Posted By: fab100
Date Posted: 13 Jun 12 at 1:08pm
Is it just me...

that could do with a search facility on the home page, particularly for the "latest News' content.

I know I can search the clubs and classes sections, but say I want to search for an individual or posts by a specific organisation?

-------------
http://clubsailor.co.uk/wp/club-sailor-from-back-to-front/" rel="nofollow - Great new book for Club Sailors here

Date Posted: 13 Jun 12 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by fab100

Is it just me...

that could do with a search facility on the home page, particularly for the "latest News' content.

I know I can search the clubs and classes sections, but say I want to search for an individual or posts by a specific organisation?

It's not just you - the search is one of the next things on the development list. The current one (me experimenting with SQL's Full Text search) is pretty useless Embarrassed

To be honest, when I'm searching the site I just go to Google and type:
site:www.yachtsandyachting.com search words

We will make it better!

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com