Category: Dinghy classes
Forum Name: Technique
Forum Discription: 'How to' section for dinghy questions and answers
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8291
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 3:28pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Trapeze harness: Over or Under?
Posted By: fleaberto
Subject: Trapeze harness: Over or Under?
Date Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 12:16pm
Hi all,

Grabbed myself a harness from ebay recently so that i can crew on a few different boats and cats.
Anyway, i'm just wondering as to the preffered/accepted wearing? - Over B.A or Under?
Also, the rubber stopper? - on or off?

Cheers.

-------------
Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'

Replies:
Posted By: SoggyBadger
Date Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 12:34pm
Over is probably better but the important thing is that everything is a tight, snug fit. I'd leave the rubber stopper on until you've got some experience.

-------------
Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

Posted By: Contender 541
Date Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 12:57pm

Very dependant on what the BA allows, however I always go under.

Tight is good - uncomfortable tight is better - you will be amazed just how much room you have when you are out on the wire and have your weight on it. 
One note of caution - It took me a while to link breathlessness with too tight (the harness was very comfortable and a perfect fit when I was out on the wire, but restricted my breathing when I was in the boat)

-------------
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Posted By: furtive
Date Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 12:57pm

Agree that over is probably best from the point of view of the harness fitting tightly.

Strongly disagree about keeping the rubber stopper - it's important to get a feel for what position/movement will cause you to unhook when you need to, and the stopper will just make this harder to do. It will also slow you down when crossing the boat and teach you bad habits which you'll then have to unlearn if/when you do remove the stopper.

Posted By: tgruitt
Date Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by furtive

Agree that over is probably best from the point of view of the harness fitting tightly.

Strongly disagree about keeping the rubber stopper - it's important to get a feel for what position/movement will cause you to unhook when you need to, and the stopper will just make this harder to do. It will also slow you down when crossing the boat and teach you bad habits which you'll then have to unlearn if/when you do remove the stopper.

I agree with the rubber stopper, get rid of it, it makes it a lot of hassle when you have to 'manually' unclip. I always wear mine under my BA with a rash vest over the top of everything to prevent snags.

-------------
Needs to sail more...

Posted By: Contender 541
Date Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 1:08pm
+1

Do it once, do it right.

Fact - (and for once one that has been studied at length - ask a Lean or Six Sigma Engineer) - a habit once learned will take a minimum of 35 consecutive repetitions to break and then you need to learn the correct way

-------------
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a005e'

Invalid use of Null: 'Replace'

/forum/functions/functions_format_post.asp, line 959