Forum Discription: 'How to' section for dinghy questions and answers
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8161
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 10:42pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bearaway Hoist
Posted By: ellistine
Subject: Bearaway Hoist
Date Posted: 16 Aug 11 at 9:36pm
I know he's bit good and everything (Skiffmans bow fodder) but bloody hell!

http://youtu.be/c1bRRMtTip8?t=1m32s - http://youtu.be/c1bRRMtTip8?t=1m32s  (1 min 32secs)

Replies:
Posted By: FB-14600
Date Posted: 17 Aug 11 at 5:30pm
Anyone else notice the off the boom sheeting on some boats in that vid, didnt think that its was allowed or have they changed the rules?

-------------

FIREBALL 14928
29er 477

Date Posted: 17 Aug 11 at 8:07pm
I think it's allowed on the all girl boats.

-------------

Posted By: craiggo
Date Posted: 17 Aug 11 at 8:54pm
If you look carefully the tail of the mainsheet is still to the centre of the boat. I think you'll find they are circumventing the rules by keeping the swivel and block in the centre of the boat with the tail running through it but just not choosing to use it. The rules say the boat has to have it but dont prohibit grabbing the falls of the main!

Posted By: Lukepiewalker
Date Posted: 17 Aug 11 at 9:03pm
"the mainsheet must pass through and be taken from the final turning block mounted either on the cockpit floor or on a turret, in accordance with 1.3.19.   The helmsman must take the mainsheet at all times, the only exception being the crew providing momentary assistance in exceptional circumstances."

-------------
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"

Posted By: Ian29937
Date Posted: 18 Aug 11 at 8:19am
The rule has been changed for the all girl boats as the whole point for them is to prepare for the 2016 Olympic 2 man skiff....

I'm down to Weymouth today, can't wait Smile

Posted By: tgruitt
Date Posted: 18 Aug 11 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Ian29937

The rule has been changed for the all girl boats as the whole point for them is to prepare for the 2016 Olympic 2 man skiff....

Bring a coat. It's grim.

-------------
Needs to sail more...

Posted By: alstorer
Date Posted: 18 Aug 11 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Ian29937

It's part of LDC's lobbying to get the 900 selected. Not saying it's wrong, but I really, really doubt the idea for the rule change came from the general class membership, as as far as I understand they've been very resistant to changing it in the past.

-------------
-_
Al

Posted By: Lukepiewalker
Date Posted: 18 Aug 11 at 11:32am
If they've changed the rule it should be written down somewhere. A cursory glance at Class Rules and SIs doesn't show it.

-------------
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"

Posted By: NickA
Date Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 5:26pm
~Impressive sailing.  But honestly, why ban off the boom sheeting or letting the crew take the main. If it makes the boat faster, easier and/or more fun to sail and costs no money.... why do they ban it? Only to allow it on all girl boats.  Stupid stupid stupid.  

Are RS turning into Laser?  Or do they actually have a good reason?

-------------
Javelin 558
Contender 2574

Posted By: RS400atC
Date Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 6:02pm
It's about wanting to keep the character of the fleet where a couple can be competitive, as against needing a gorilla crew to pump the main up the beat.

Posted By: NickA
Date Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 8:40pm
.... as opposed to needing a gorilla helm to pump the main up the beat?

-------------
Javelin 558
Contender 2574

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by NickA

.... as opposed to needing a gorilla helm to pump the main up the beat?

No, that's the RS400... How does that boat manage to generate such sheet loads?

Date Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 9:07pm
I know my wife would have no interest in doing anything with the main sheet so for us the 800 would work well. 

-------------

Posted By: Stevie_GTI
Date Posted: 29 Sep 11 at 1:26pm

The rules have been amdended to allow all female crews to sheet taking the mainsheet off the boom. This was discussed between RS and the 800 fleet and is in place until ISAF have decided which womens skiff will be used in 2016.

I believe there were 2 main reasons for this, the RYA are using the 800 as the training boat for the women until the 2016 skiff is decided, they would be using the off boom sheeting method at their traning camps (nothing in the original rules to stop them) however if the rules were not amended then the women would not be able to get involved in 800 events in that format.

The second reason being that it would give the class a chance to see how the off boom sheeting compared to the standard method without having to use a guinea pig who already sails the class. The girls are having to abide by the normal weight equalisation rules.

On Alain's hoists, they feel very quick in the boat, and he definately pulled his weight that week in the boat!

-------------

Posted By: alstorer
Date Posted: 29 Sep 11 at 3:02pm
But as pointed out, this doesn't seem to have been wrtitten down in official form publicly. There is no publicly apparent change to the class rules on the class association website.

-------------
-_
Al

Posted By: Stevie_GTI
Date Posted: 29 Sep 11 at 5:33pm

There must have been some sort of article as there was a decent number of female crews competing, and the knowledge of it seems to be out there with the females.

I'll let the association people know that it may not be public knowledge, and see what the say about the rule change.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com