Forum Discription: Tell us your sailing stories
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7970
Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 7:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Boat impacts
Posted By: GybinJoe
Subject: Boat impacts
Date Posted: 21 Jun 11 at 9:33pm
Whats the worst Boat Crash/Impact that you've seen?
Post a response and pictures if you can!

-------------
Laser Standard (Helm)
J-80 (Crew&Helm)
Laser 2 (Helm)
Beneteau(Crewing for multiple boats)

Replies:
Posted By: radixon
Date Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 10:45am
err a port/starboard incident between 2 RS Feva's doesn't end well. It happened twice in a regatta I was supporting recently.

I have no pictures sorry.

-------------

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 11:56am
There are 2 incidents that spring to mind...the first was when a Fireball got blown if its launching trolley and lander foredecl against a Laser trolley, left a huge hole in the deck. It went to Winder to be fixed and trhey patched it but did an amazing job, you would never know it had happened.

The other was a Solo who tacked and the boat practically split in 2 as he moved across. The safety boat just about got him back to shore so everyone could see the damage...it was pretty impressive, the boat looked like a cut and shut that had come apart!

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Posted By: Contender 541
Date Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 1:19pm
Not seen, but gone down into folk law

505 - 8308 vs. RS400 (I think) - Abersoch

Don't know the exact circumstances, but the RS went in before the shrouds and came out on top of the centreboard casing.  Exit one 505 into the dinghy park in the sky..................... or did it???!!???

The 5oh was written off by the insurance company and a replacement provided
The owner (the name escapes me ?Robertson / Richardson? used to commodore of my own club!! - Burton SC) bought the hull back from the insurance company and had it repaired.
He kept it as a spare and eventually gave it to his lad to sail.
Over the next few years, it got wet a dozen times and then left in the garage
Neil Rabbits (helm on 505 8945) bought the hull off the family earlier this year and re-stringed it.  Quote"I spent as much in string as I did on the boat"
With some old sails (came with the boat) and some other borrowed / donated kit, the boat can now be seen out most weekends - Where??  Back at her original home in Burton.

Edit: Owner was Clive Robinson - sadly missed

-------------
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Posted By: ASok
Date Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 3:51pm
Port starboard at the Dart 18 nationals a few years ago.  I was on starboard, they hadn't seen me and I saw them too late, nowhere to go and we made contact.  I hit them clean on and survived with minor chipping to the leading edge on my port side hull.  I could see the beach through their hull just back from the bow when I pulled them apartDead

Felt very guilty, but could carry on.  They limped home and were patched up overnight by Paul at Fluid Boat Services who did an amazing job of sorting the mess out!!Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 3:56pm

Ah one other - Corby 35 just been delivered to Plymouth and we set out on the first race with the new crew.  Absolutely loving the performance and all having a great time of it.  Rounded a mark and I was on the low side winching in the genoa as we headed upwind again.

An X 3something something (heavy Danish yacht) came straight for us / me at full crack.  They wanted to bear away behind us but couldn't because their trimmer had fallen over and couldn't ease off. I had rather quickly backed off from trimming when I saw it coming and they smashed us right at the winch I was using.

Big shark bite out of the Corby that needed the rest of the winter to repair.  I had heard that the X had suffered delamination down the forward section and needed an entire new bow putting on! 

-------------

Posted By: Graham T
Date Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 5:40pm
GP14 versus Flying Fifteen -  http://theboatfixer.co.uk/examples.html#GP14Rebuild - http://theboatfixer.co.uk/examples.html#GP14Rebuild

-------------
Osprey 55 "Tebutinnang"
Osprey 1245 "Two Bob Bit"
Miracle 1358 "Thumper"

Posted By: patj
Date Posted: 23 Jun 11 at 2:03pm
Lasers have been responsible for most of the damage I've seen - Ents shunted by port tackers.

The worst I've seen was a lovely old Mercury which was holed by another port tack laser who was supposed to be keeping out of the way whilst the old boats started but ploughed rapidly up close to the start line. The Mercury was mended but at it's very next away event with a new owner it was then holed by an Albacore who was avoiding a Laser - back it went to Pete Vincent!

Posted By: FB-14600
Date Posted: 23 Jun 11 at 5:29pm
car accident while being towed...has been posted before but fitted this thread...

-------------

FIREBALL 14928
29er 477

Posted By: rogerd
Date Posted: 23 Jun 11 at 8:09pm
At SGP cant remember which year but at Rutland. FD on port tack, crew called they could clear the three starboard tackers but didnt see the fourth one  A Javelin sshaped hole through the side of a borrowed FD  ooops 

Posted By: hollandsd
Date Posted: 24 Jun 11 at 12:30pm
B14's at the tide ride, port starboard downwind/upwind in 20knots with kite up, ended up snapping the mast, pole and foredeck apart.

Sorry no photos to hand

-------------
Laser 184084
Tasar 3501
RS600 698
RS600 782

Posted By: maxibuddah
Date Posted: 24 Jun 11 at 2:58pm
I know a guy who back the eighties at Starcross had the back of his Laser torn off by a port tack Dart 18, luckily missed the helm otherwise it would have been more than a rightoff Laser

-------------
Everything I say is my opinion, honest

Date Posted: 24 Jun 11 at 3:17pm
on the front page today

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jun 11 at 3:19pm
and also this on the Shearwater TT report
The first race began with a fairly crowded start line with both Shearwaters and Spitfires starting together. On this lap we could all see the windward mark and started heading towards it. Alex and father Greg Wilcox on 'Foreigner' were the only boat to dare hoist the spinnaker on the reach which gave them a huge boost. They soon regretted their decision after the gybe when one of the larger gusts of the day forced them into such a violent pitchpole that their starboard hull snapped in half in front of the main beam, only being held together by the deck.

-------------

Posted By: blueboy
Date Posted: 24 Jun 11 at 4:23pm
Not sure about "worst" but for maximum schadenfreude value, this is the one. In a multi-class keelboat regatta, the RO laid the leeward mark 400 metres to leeward of the start line which is also a gate. A class of 24 footers is eating their sarnies and sailing up and down the startline waiting for race 2 of the day to be signalled. Meanwhile a class of 38 footers has rounded the leeward mark and is heading for the gate. A 38 footer on starboard collided with 24 footer on port, each apparently oblivious of the other up to the moment of impact. The 24 footer's mast caught the 38 footer's shroud and the whole boat was lifted bodily about a metre out of the water before slithering back down the 38 footers rigging.

The 24 footer's crew put away their sarnies and sailed in race 2.  Meanwhile the 38 footer, worried about their rig, dropped sails and motored gingerly home.

Posted By: Andymac
Date Posted: 24 Jun 11 at 6:21pm
I think the 18 foot skiff v Manly ferry in Sydney harbour (to be seen on youtube) is pretty scary.
That ferry will stop for nothing!

Date Posted: 25 Jun 11 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Andymac

I think the 18 foot skiff v Manly ferry in Sydney harbour (to be seen on youtube) is pretty scary.
That ferry will stop for nothing!

Not a case of will stop more a case of can't stop. They are big heavy old tubs those Manly Ferries with a prop at either end, you definitely do not want to argue with one!

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Date Posted: 25 Jun 11 at 9:08am
Originally posted by rogerd

At SGP cant remember which year but at Rutland. FD on port tack, crew called they could clear the three starboard tackers but didnt see the fourth one  A Javelin sshaped hole through the side of a borrowed FD  ooops 

2004 if memory servers Roger, I remember the incident well as I knew the helm and crew. I also recall it was the FD inlands the following weekend and the owner was hoping to sail it....

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Date Posted: 27 Jun 11 at 8:22am
taken off another Forum, happened on the RTIR

http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=60419&d=1309130280 - Clicky

-------------

Posted By: Contender443
Date Posted: 27 Jun 11 at 10:25am
Originally posted by radixon

taken off another Forum, happened on the RTIR

http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=60419&d=1309130280 - Clicky

I remember being overtaken by that cat somewhere about St Cats. At one point it looked that its rudders were about to lose their grip. Isn't that a boat for disabled sailors? Very surprised to see it capsized.

It felt harsh from where I was sitting on a J/92S but not that harsh.

-------------
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764

Date Posted: 27 Jun 11 at 12:36pm
That cat looked quite impressive upside down.  I did hear all aboard were ok.

The lifeboard crew and a salvage team were stood on it head scratching when we passedConfused

-------------

Posted By: Contender443
Date Posted: 27 Jun 11 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by ASok

That cat looked quite impressive upside down.  I did hear all aboard were ok.

The lifeboard crew and a salvage team were stood on it head scratching when we passedConfused

Here is a link to the boat http://www.disabledsailing.org/data/dsahq/scott%20bader/Scott%20Bader.html - http://www.disabledsailing.org/data/dsahq/scott%20bader/Scott%20Bader.html

It must have taken something big to make it capsize. I hope they can salvage it.

-------------
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764

Date Posted: 27 Jun 11 at 1:58pm
Must have something severe to make it go over.  It was turtled over by Bembridge when we saw it and that was the nicest area of the race.  All the horrible swell and high winds were down by Needles and St Catherines - very strange.

-------------

Posted By: rogerd
Date Posted: 27 Jun 11 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by jeffers

2004 if memory servers Roger, I remember the incident well as I knew the helm and crew. I also recall it was the FD inlands the following weekend and the owner was hoping to sail it....
paul, I was saving their blushes in case they still follow this forum.

Date Posted: 27 Jun 11 at 6:35pm

Originally posted by jeffers

paul, I was saving their blushes in case they still follow this forum.

No names were mentioned...blushes are spared...gave a good look as to how and FD hull was laid up though....

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Posted By: laser4000
Date Posted: 27 Jun 11 at 7:25pm
Firefly vs. Swallow, Itchenor harbour yonks ago. I was upwind of the freddie on port, lose covering (team racing) looked at the swallow and thought they won't hit, it's just a perspective issue then I went oh drat - the freddie got smacked hard amidship and the pointy bit of the swallow appeared through the mainsail of the freddie and nearly hit the crew in the face. Snapped boom, witten off main and big hole in the side...

Posted By: Michael S
Date Posted: 07 Feb 12 at 2:08pm
Not dinghies, but ouch!

Was showed here on September : http:// www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/159408 -  http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/159408

Posted By: Cameron Winton
Date Posted: 10 Feb 12 at 11:55am
As a kid at Loch Earn seem to remember my grandfather's chippendale FF15 getting a hole from another fifteen. They have a bow bracket that couldn't be better designed for holing another boat

Posted By: Michael S
Date Posted: 10 Feb 12 at 12:04pm
I also remember a crash between a 29er that was rounding the downwind mark and a brand new 505 that was coming downwind, in pretty heavy wind. The boys in the 29er shouted and shouted again, but the guys in the 505 never heard or saw them, and it all happened at pretty high speed, so BAANG!

The hole on the side of the 505 allowed us to conclude that 29er's noses are very solidly built! Ouch

Like you could almost go yourself IN the hull of the 505... no picture unfortunately

-------------
http://www.wanaboat.co.uk/ - http://www.wanaboat.co.uk/
The new dinghies advertisement platform.
Try it while it's free!

Posted By: Rockhopper
Date Posted: 10 Feb 12 at 1:01pm
I got hit while rounding a leeward mark ....I was in my mirror this bloke was in his condor cat he thought might was right as at the time he did not have an overlap so i shut the door on him he hit my mirror so hard it broke the center plate and bust side tanks great fun when you are only 12 yrs old .
That was back in the early 80s

-------------
Retired now after 35 seasons in a row and time for a rest.
2004 national champ Laser5000
2007,2010,National Champ Rs Vareo

Posted By: Neptune
Date Posted: 10 Feb 12 at 2:01pm
 As part of my rehabilitation i have decided not to post any pictures from lasts years separate 3 incidents, suffice to say that i didn't enjoy any of them!   Ouch   Ouch   Ouch

-------------
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor

Posted By: Jamie600
Date Posted: 28 Feb 12 at 2:03pm
But on the bright side, your local boatbuilder has been able to have a Carribean cruise this year...

-------------
RS600 1001

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com