Forum Discription: Questions and answers related to this topic
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7518
Printed Date: 18 Apr 24 at 9:02am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Price differences in quotes
Posted By: rb_stretch
Subject: Price differences in quotes
Date Posted: 31 Jan 11 at 8:54pm
Obviously seen lots of good words about Noble and definitely prepared to pay a premium. However find their quote for a phantom is double some of their competitors (Craftinsure, Bishop Skinner). This seem very large. Does the difference in service justify it? Are the others that bad?

Replies:
Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 31 Jan 11 at 9:02pm
My Noble renewal was twice the price of Bishop Skinner. I used to insure my Parker 235 yacht with Bishop Skinner and had good service so I have gone with them.

-------------
Phantom 949

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 31 Jan 11 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by rb_stretch

Are the others that bad?

It probably says rather more about their experience of Phantom owners than anything else...

Posted By: Matt Jackson
Date Posted: 01 Feb 11 at 1:02pm
I found Craftinsure great... until I had to make a claim. Needed to threaten to make a complaint to the FSA before thay paid out, then premium rose steeply. Not which part of my experience was intended to keep me as a customer but at least they now get plenty of free advertising from me whenever someone asks my opinion Wink.

-------------
Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36

Posted By: Late starter
Date Posted: 01 Feb 11 at 2:25pm
I've had no issues with Craftinsure, though I've only had one relatively small claim which was dealt with efficiently. No experience of Bishop Skinner. Used to find Newton Crum very cheap for certain classes, eg Lasers, again only had one small claim and this was also resolved quickly.  Can't recall ever using Noble so can't comment on how they may differ.

Posted By: rb_stretch
Date Posted: 01 Feb 11 at 6:59pm
Plumped for Bishop Skinner in the end. Hardly in difference in policy, half the price and haven't heard anything bad from poking round forums.

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 01 Feb 11 at 7:21pm
Noble do new for old even if your kit is old (unless it broke because of age) whereas most will only do so up to a few years old. Noble were very good when I had to claim, so I have all my boats insured with them now, even if it does cost more.

-------------
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Posted By: crosby mafia
Date Posted: 01 Feb 11 at 8:15pm
 I had 3 lasers insured with Nobles the other year. One was written off and they were brilliant, settled within about a week. My premiums went up but thats expected isn't it !  I wait to see what the premium is this year, had hoped it would drop, even a small amount. 

-------------
Better a crap day in Abersoch than any day at work.

Posted By: Ruscoe
Date Posted: 04 Feb 11 at 11:27am

I insured with Noble for years, they have always been friendly, helpful and competitive.  unfortuantely after a couple of claims i could no longer afford to pay the premium and switched to Towergate Mardon who are so far ace, although a little slow at processing claims.

Not sure what to do this year as i have had the worse spell of luck in the last two years with dinghy's....From studpidity, to robbery i have had it all.  I hoping my luck must now change as i won't be able to afford the insurance soon.  May just go third party only.

-------------

Posted By: timeintheboat
Date Posted: 04 Feb 11 at 12:00pm
Much as I appreciate the great amount that Noble put back into sailing (surely a good enough reason for using them in itself) and that I've not heard a bad word ever about them on service, when I started sailing I went with Newton Crum basically at the time out of home town loyalty. After a break of some 12 years when I went back into sailing I went back to them.

I've had one mast ping in the last year and the service was personal, prompt and fair. My renewal was reasonable and fair.

I've probably had nearly 20 years with them in total with various boats and only a handful of claims in that time and they have never given me reason to change. And I quite like the old fashioned feel of the company.

-------------
Like some other things - sailing is more enjoyable when you do it with someone else

Posted By: ex laser
Date Posted: 04 Feb 11 at 1:29pm
have used both noble and newton crum and have had great service from both.
i never bother looking any where else now.

tend to use newton crum for lower value boats and noble for more expensive ones.

-------------

Posted By: patj
Date Posted: 04 Feb 11 at 7:09pm
Was with Admiral at first because they were across the road from work then went to Bishop Skinner because Admiral wouldn't insure an old Merlin. BS have always been the best value since - the Albacore cost £27 to add to my existing policy for 11 months!

Posted By: BBSCFaithfull
Date Posted: 16 Feb 11 at 7:52pm
I have to admit. Noble have always been good, fast and fair. Although more exspensive you get what you pay for.

With an I14 you are limited by the places you can go and the cover they're willing to give.

-------------
Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!

Posted By: djdhi
Date Posted: 22 Feb 11 at 7:13pm

I'm a fan of Newton Crum. Quick with the bumf when I've just pranged one.

Like a lot of detail when you make a claim.
Don't get a good press--- that's a shame !
Always settle quickly and after the bash,  premiums  haven't gone on an almighty dash.
And very nice ladies and gents to talk to on the phone.
djdhi

Posted By: Mich
Date Posted: 04 May 11 at 11:05am
Personally, I insure my yacht Sunseeker Predator 72 at Axa. I am very satisfied with it, I have complete guarantees with a service returned very well. I had had one year ago a light problem with my boat, but Axa reacted very fast and helped well me. I advise it to you, I had made an estimate on their online site for this address:   http://www.global-yachting-solutions.com/global-yachting-solutions-axa-yacht-assurance-index-uk.php - http://www.global-yachting-solutions.com/global-yachting-solutions-axa-yacht-assurance-index-uk.php
If that can help some.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com