Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 1:50pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rolling a new sail
Posted By: Webmuppet
Subject: Rolling a new sail
Date Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 8:11pm
Hi Folks,

I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but here goes:

My newly acquired Laser came with a brand new folded sail and I've also just purchased a Rooster 8.1 sail which also came folded - I've been told that the sails will last much longer if rolled so I've got myself a couple of very flash Rooster long sail bags. I was going to roll the sails around some tubing (plastic waste pipe from B&Q ?) I haven't got any pipe in the garage so I was going to go and buy some.....so my question is, what diameter tubing do I buy ? Confused

Nigel

-------------
I am the milkman of human kindness, I will leave an extra pint (Billy Bragg)

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'

Replies:
Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 8:16pm
The biggest that will fit in your sailbags with the sail rolled round it! Take the bag to B&Q...

Posted By: Jon Emmett
Date Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 8:23pm
I have 15 cm diameter pipe, 3 metres long (which is the longest pole which will fit in the back of my van). However at 64Kgs I am obviously not a 8.1 sailor, so I do not know if the foot length is longer than a Radial sail... I don't use a sail bag.

-------------
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Your-Own-Tactics-Coach/dp/0470973218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312565831&sr=8-1 -

Posted By: radixon
Date Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 9:22pm
Foot length has got to be near enough the same cos it fits the same boom!!

I went to B&Q, bought the black water pipe and then had to go back for a hacksaw, The length I bought, I think 3 didn't fit in my Focus Hatchback. Chopped a bit off and fits fine.

I can get the sail inside the bag with room but it has to be neat!

-------------

Posted By: feva sailor
Date Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 10:32pm

i just wrap my feav sail with no pipe.

thing is unless you have a van you wont be able to fit the sail in the car

Posted By: alstorer
Date Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 10:39pm
"soft" sails are better wrapped around a pipe- laminate sails naturally roll to a much larger diameter, and will always (unless they're near dead) try and "fill" the sail bag. Thus, Laser (and topper for that matter) sailors use drainpipe.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 11:05pm
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply to this post:

Our previous boats have incuded a Topaz Race, a Comet Xtra and the Vareo all of which have Mylar sails which roll quite nicely - for our Topper we have an old section of windsurfer mast to stop the sailbag from flopping about. With a genuine Laser sail being silly expensive it would seem sensible to look after it as best I can (hence the original question). As soon as I can rustle up some bonus cash I think that I ought to buy myself one of the Insail replica sails, £149 + £15 postage to preserve the genuine Laser sail and the far nicer Rooster 8.1 rig - has anyone got any wise words regarding replica sails ?

Cheers,

Nigel

-------------

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'

Posted By: chrisclark123
Date Posted: 02 Oct 08 at 3:04am
What i have done with my rooster 8.1 sail is roll it over the pipe i got that covered the bottom section of the mast. It is a perfect fit all you need to do is tie a bit of string in the centre of the pipe to hold it.

Chris

Date Posted: 02 Oct 08 at 9:16am

Nigel

I would check with your club that you can sail with a replica sail. We at Marconi can, no one would bat an eye lid. I did notice someone on ebay selling a replica because they were unable to sail with one.

I would buy a replica, either one of those or a Rooster one but they can't be used on the circuit.

-------------

Posted By: Jon Emmett
Date Posted: 02 Oct 08 at 10:13am
The replica sails can not be used at class training either (because they are not in class!)

Basically if you sail with a different sail to everyone else you are sailing a different boat and I have observed it can be very difficult/impossible to fully depower some of the replica sails.

-------------
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Your-Own-Tactics-Coach/dp/0470973218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312565831&sr=8-1 -

Posted By: craiggo
Date Posted: 02 Oct 08 at 12:47pm
Firstly on the original topic:

Use guttering downpipe from B&Q. Dart 18 sailors have been using it for their jibs for years.

On the subject of replicas perhaps we need a new thread labelled "Should clubs allow replica sails?"

My point of view is that yes they should. This is based on the fact that those at the top of the club fleet will generally be the guys going to open meetings so will have official sails, the guys who regularly trawl around at the back of the fleet however are never going to improve to front runners with an imitation sail but it allows them to enjoy their boat at their club for less money and the simple fact that it keeps more boats on the water and bolters the fleet has to be good. To loose these guys from the sport just because Laser want to charge nearly £500 for a 7sqm sheet of Dacron is ludicrous.

Posted By: Captain Morgan
Date Posted: 06 Oct 08 at 4:25pm

Just out of interest, thinking about rolling a sail of mine - does anyone know where I can purchase a (long) sail bag?

I've had a look at the Rooster ones, but surely they're not the only ones available!

Date Posted: 06 Oct 08 at 6:34pm
I've just purchased two of the long Rooster sailing bags - nicely made and more to the point, distinctive, in a rigging area full of orange and blue Hyde bags

Nigel

-------------

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'

Date Posted: 06 Oct 08 at 6:43pm
Or the Blue, Red or White Laser sail bags. I like my Rooster one, even includes an area to write your name!!

-------------

Posted By: Lukepiewalker
Date Posted: 06 Oct 08 at 9:06pm
Most sailmakers will happily sell you a sailbag. Might not be in their catalogue, but they should have a few...

-------------
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"

Posted By: Lukepiewalker
Date Posted: 06 Oct 08 at 9:08pm
Not forgetting the eBay of course

-------------
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"

Date Posted: 07 Oct 08 at 12:26pm
Re: buying a spare sail bag -  Thanks for your replies, I'll make some enquiries.

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 08 Oct 08 at 8:37am
I bought a length of downpipe from Homebase, comes in a 3m length then just roll the sail round it and mark out how much you can trim off whilst leaving  a bit sticking out each end. Don't forget that with a rolled sail it is good to unreoll it and reverse the direction of the roll if it is not used that often (and don't leave the battens in it as you will stretch the elastic (I leave mine in the 8.1 as it gets used every week and last time I took them out I hurt my fingers they were so tight).

As for the replica sail by all means check with your club before you spend your hard earned. the ILCA/UKLA are not keen on them but until something is done about the useful life of the class sails then they are going to become more and more prevalent.

If you are interested there is a debate going on (and some pictures) of the development sails for the Lasers over at the http://www.laserforum.org - Laser Forum .

Enjoy! I believe the InSails replica is very similar to the Intensity replica which is made of a firmer cloth. I have never found any issues with depowering it and it still looks good and is not stretched even after nearly a year of hard usage in heavy winds (it's pretty much the only time it comes out).

As for sail bags I am not a fan of the Rooster long bags. They have coated the inside with a kind of rubbery material (I guess to keep the water in if you pack up wet). This is all very good but it makes the sail a right pain in the rear to get in to the bag (even when dry) and does not allow any moisture to escape if the thing is in storage. I prefer the Laser long bags, made of a thinner material but mich easier to use than the Rooster. I have my rooster one turned inside out so I can get the sails in and out without too much hassle.

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Date Posted: 08 Oct 08 at 12:10pm
Good point about the Rooster sail bags Jeffers - I wasn't aware that they were rubberised/waterproofed on the inside. They look good (apart from the kelloggs logo), but I don't want my wet sails to sweat inside a darkly-coloured sauna of a bag!

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com