Forum Discription: The top end racing in our sport
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4586
Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 1:09pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Who is going to be in what?
Posted By: timeintheboat
Subject: Who is going to be in what?
Date Posted: 28 Aug 08 at 10:50pm
Given there that there are plenty snapping at their heels.....

Finn - Ben Ainslie has said he is now going to focus on the Americas Cup so will that give time for others to muster a challenge in the Finn?

Laser - Paul Goodison will be Apprentice Masters by then - will he still be focused on Lasers in a class where there are always rising stars?

Star - (What a weird boat by the way) - four years is a long time to try to stay at the top of a class that is barely sailed in the UK (I've never seen one)

Yngling - as above except not weird and I have seen one!

Others - loads of competition so who knows?

Other sailing countries (USA/NZL/AUS) will be looking to come back stronger can we stay at the top?

-------------
Like some other things - sailing is more enjoyable when you do it with someone else

Replies:
Posted By: alstorer
Date Posted: 29 Aug 08 at 7:43am
Well, as it stands the ladies Keelboat may or may not be the Yngling, as that event will be match racing.

Star: seems Mr Ainslie has made noises regarding attempting to win a fourth gold in a third class- that would open up the Finn class- in which Ed Wright is one of the best sailors in the world currently, and would have been a medal contender.

Posted By: gordon
Date Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 11:10am

The Star may be wierd - but not if you have ever sailed one in which case it is simply one of the best thoroughbred racing machines in the world - but it did give us one of the most thrilling medal races !

Gordon

-------------
Gordon

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 11:54am
Originally posted by gordon

The Star may be wierd - but not if you have ever sailed one in which case it is simply one of the best thoroughbred racing machines in the world - but it did give us one of the most thrilling medal races !

Gordon

Is the Star medal race on the web as I missed it ...?

-------------

Posted By: radixon
Date Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 1:36pm

I got myself in the 49er class for the Olympics.

Its not what you know, its WHO you know!!!

Well seriously, I may be helming on the Photoboat but thats better than nothing!

-------------

Posted By: s.a.l.t.y
Date Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 6:47pm

In my opinion the classes for 2012 should be like this:

Finn replaced by MUSTO SKIFF

Laser kept

Star replaced by RS K6/RS ELITE

Yngling replaced by 18' SKIFF

49er kept

470 replaced by 29erXX/RS800

Tornados - BRING THEM BACK

-------------

Posted By: timeintheboat
Date Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by gordon

Gordon

I'm sure you are right and upwind they look great, it is just on the run with the extreme forward mast rake and the huge jib stick and the tack of the jib coming loose so that the jib can becomes sort of spinny (has this been tried elsewhere - N12 ?).

What happens on a reach?

Don't get me wrong I would love a go!

-------------
Like some other things - sailing is more enjoyable when you do it with someone else

Posted By: tack'ho
Date Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 9:23pm

And the spitfire is a real beauty of an aircraft!!

Nice in a museum but I still wouldn't want to go to war in one.

-------------
I might be sailing it, but it's still sh**e!

Posted By: ellistine
Date Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 10:41pm
I saw Paul Goodison windsurfing tonight.....

-------------

Posted By: redback
Date Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 10:53pm
I have to reluctantly admit that the Star gave us the best sailing from a TV point of view.  I barely saw any 49ers and I was getting all excited about that.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com