Forum Discription: Advice for those who are new to sailing
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4562
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 7:07pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Asymetric Gybe
Posted By: ellistine
Subject: Asymetric Gybe
Date Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 4:03pm

I only started sailing in March so hopefully this qualifies as a beginners question!

I'm after some top tips on how to gybe with the gennaker up. We seem to be able to manage it ok by slowing right down, steering through the turn, bearing off a little as the boom comes across and then start to head up but it's all very sloooow.

I've read that gybes are best carried out at speed but each time we try it we end up too powered and capsize.

Are there ways to depower the kite throught the manouver and should I be sheeting in the main or letting it out as we turn?

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: alstorer
Date Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 4:22pm

Gybes are best carried out at speed, but that shouldn't be confused with gybing quickly. You want to carry as much speed into the turn as possible, as this will mean there will be less pressure on the main as it comes across. However, you need to avoid being agressive with the tiller (gybing quickly), as this will cause you to round up into the wind rapidly, powering up both sails, causing you to heel over, turn further and swim.

Otherwise, you want to be doing pretty much what you descibe- steer in slowly, straighten up as the boom comes across, then head up (and speed up) once you're settled. As you get better at this, you can do it quicker.

Depowering the kite:

What I've been taught on the B14, which has a far bigger kite than I've used in the past (I've never really needed to depower whilst gybing on other boats), for heavy weather is this:

1: pick up the psychic signals from the stick waggler that a gybe is imminent

2: take up the slack on the "lazy" sheet (current windward sheet)

3: stick waggler mumbles something. Hike the boat flat as he starts to steer, and haul the "working" (loaded) sheet in as tight as possible.

4: as you cross the boat, keep the kite pinned in. It will now collapse against the jib. This is what you're trying to do, DO NOT PANIC.

5: With the main and jib safely over, and the stick waggler having extricated himself from another fine mess, release the new "lazy" sheet, haul the big sail round the forestay, and off you go.

This is where having a way of attaching the kite sheet that minimises catching can be handy. Our current set up has the core exposed at the mid poinnt, and the ends of the outer stiched together, forming a small loop. This goes through the clew, and the ends passed through it. It could be improved by having a short piece of thin line spliced across the "v" that's created. Zip luff or integrated forestay jibs are also important for this.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 4:40pm

Brilliant! Just the thing I was looking for.

As the stick waggler I will obvioulsy expect the movable ballast up front to do all this without being told so!

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 5:17pm
Yep. Basically you need to be going as fast as possible as the main flicks/gets flicked across. Once the main is across you should then only round up slowly to give yourselves time to get the lard out over the side etc. Its may be worth "counter steering" as the boom goes across - pulling the tiller towards you so that the boat stops turning, even goes a bit deeper, so that you stay on a run until you've got yourselves sorted out ready to go back to the reach.

Posted By: les5269
Date Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 5:21pm

Two other things to take into account as the "stick waggler"

Don't let the main go over on it's own as you go across grab the strop/main and pull it over when the boat is half way through the gybe.

The other thing is keep the boat flat, this will make it much easier on the gybe and help keep the speed on too.

Other things to do that will make it easier are, sort out the jib before the gybe so it goes over without backing (you can set it properly when your sorted on the next tack). Keep the spinney sheets tidy in the boat then they wont get caught in the  blocks and back the kite when you don't want it to.

And most importantly talk to your weight in the front, if they don't know what you are doing they wont help!

-------------
49er 531 & 5000 5025 and a mirror(now gone to mirror heaven)!

http://www.grafham.org/" rel="nofollow - Grafham water Sailing Club The greatest inland sailing in the country

Posted By: alstorer
Date Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by les5269

And most importantly talk to your weight in the front, if they don't know what you are doing they wont help!

Such good advice. So sadly ignored so often... remember, during most manouvers, if we're looking back to see what the hell you're up to back there, we're doing something wrong as well.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 6:11pm

Originally posted by JimC

. Its may be worth "counter steering" as the boom goes across - pulling the tiller towards you so that the boat stops turning, even goes a bit deeper, so that you stay on a run until you've got yourselves sorted out ready to go back to the reach.

I found this out mucking about on a Pico one night when it was a bit blowey. Certainly helps.

Thanks everybody

Posted By: gerunamo=]
Date Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 6:42pm
the faster you go into a gybe the less wind there is on the other gybe to blow you over.... say if there is 25  knots of wind and you are travelling at 15 knots then there is 10 knotsof wind ready to power your sails up... but if you were traveling at 5 knots then there is 20 knots of wait to blow you over....

-------------
49er 884

Posted By: English Dave
Date Posted: 23 Aug 08 at 12:37am
I'm going to echo many of the previos comments here.

Go into the gybe as fast as possible. That keeps the apparent wind well forward and so the flick of the mainsail will be as gentle as possible.

In light winds steer a tight course, broaden that as the wind increases.

Swap hands early on the tiller/sheet. Feel for the mainsheet unloading and flick the main across at that point.

As soon as the crew has got the spinni to fill, he/she should release it a lot. Not necessarily dump it but if it's too tightly sheeted then it'll flip you in.

Keep the boat as broad as possible until you are both settled on you new tack. This is a matter of time on the water. As you practice you'll get slicker.

Reverse steer slightly as the boom flicks. That'll keep you broad.

-------------
English Dave
http://www.ballyholme.com - Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700

Posted By: dopamine
Date Posted: 23 Aug 08 at 7:54am
As someone who's gybes vary from sublime to catastrophic I would add:

Try to sheet the main in slightly to bring the falls closer to you and therefore easier to grab, this will also contribute to keeping speed on.  We try to actually pump a bit of extra speed out of the boat before gybing and when it works it is so sweet!

Confidence (or fearlessness) is the key.

Posted By: Contender 541
Date Posted: 23 Aug 08 at 12:01pm

3 things to keep in mind

Communication - Moveable balast needs to know what the stick monkey is about to do

Bravery - Gybe at speed (do not confuse this with gybe quickly)

Synchronicity - An off shoot of communication, but moving across the boat together is a good idea

Know how to swim

-------------
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Date Posted: 23 Aug 08 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Contender 541

Know how to swim

Still struggling a bit with this one to be honest. I'm working more on knowing how to not let go!

Posted By: redback
Date Posted: 25 Aug 08 at 6:57pm

Some good advice from several people above.  Here's what I have found.

Keep the power on so that you have speed (ie don't let the crew come into the centre line in preparation). 

Turn very gently - make a big radius - several boat lengths.

Don't gybe through 90 degrees but gybe to just past a run.  So if your doing 45 degress to the wind you'll turn through 60 - this will require a little correction on the helm to stop the boat rounding up to a reach.

You don't need to let the main out much at all - best if its in it will help damp out any rocking, and give it a little tug when you want it to go across.

Once the crew has settled and got the correct sheet in his hand you can head up and this will encourage him to move his weight out.

As you get more experienced you'll synchronise and be able to round up after the gybe ealier.

My crew is a very experienced Laser helm and when she helmed our 4000 in a blow the first thing she tried to do was gybe inside someone at a mark.  A definite mistake, because you are going so fast you have to turn very gently and this takes up space.  But because you are going so fast the pressure goes off the rig when you turn downwind and the gybe is easy and then you gradually load the power back on once the crew is in place by turning upwind to your new course. 

Novices always seem to gybe straight onto the next course and get over powered.  Try and separate the gybe from a mark rounding, so gybe when you're going fast - get the gybe out of the way and then work out where you're going to point.

When its really blowing the crew gets nervous and tends to come in early - that is a disaster because then the boat is going slow and there's lots of pressure in the rig.  If they do come in early or you slow down for some other reason don't attempt a gybe - head back up a bit and get flying.  The more you "go for it" the more successful you are going to be but you still have to be very gentle on the helm.

Posted By: pondscum
Date Posted: 25 Aug 08 at 10:40pm
Very appropriate topic for us pond muppets at the 200 nationals today - we wimped out at Chichester bar when the waves got bigger than the day before (but did then scream back in all on one tack with the kite up ). Then proceeded to break every one of the bits of advice about gybing here whilst messing about in the harbour (along with the advice about keeping to the marked channels, the Solo over there is the other side of a sand bank...).

My supplementary question - what is the correct point on a wave to gybe?

Also any hints on surfing with the kite up - went in on Sunday twice with the kite up following being 'pooped' I guess by a wave hitting the stern and pushing us down wind - kite collapses, boat goes into wobble, sometimes my heroic ballast catches it, sometimes I fluff the stick waggling. Should I be pointing higher even though I can/want to soak downwind?

Date Posted: 25 Aug 08 at 11:16pm

Definitely when going down a wave but well before the bow goes into the back of the next one.  Basically its the same advice - when going fast.  As for the wobble, try pulling the main in - its surprising how far it can come in and still maintain airflow across it, and being lengthwise in the boat it damps out the wobble.

I've not sailed a 200 - I'm a bit big at 13½ stone but I have sailed the 400.  It could be you're bringing the board up too much too.  I know the 4000 is not that comparable but we have the board down all the time - that's fully down, upwind and down.  Mainly because we never get a chance to pull it up.  We don't "trip over it" as the books suggest because we don't throw the boat through a gybe.  We steer a nice radiused curve with the boat flat and its no problem.  Again with the main we sometimes have it nearly as tight as beating, but then again we don't soak as deep as a 200.  Still I'm sure if you bring it in a bit you'll give yourself more time to correct the sudden loss of heeling from the kite.

Then from my Laser sailing days I remember its good to ease the kicker but not too much because if you do the top of the leach is no longer able to help dampen the wobble. And from my Scorpion days I remember that the further back you sit the more stable the hull is, perhaps that will help.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 08 at 11:43am

I tried most of the suggestions on Tuesday night and had quite a laugh. 4 capsizes but interestingly all when turning to the right. The ones to the left all felt quite good though.

It was quite exciting (and a little nerve racking) waiting until we were really steaming before thowing it into a gybe. Would never have done that before!

I just need to sort out my right turns. I think my steering isn't constant enough turning right which puts the boat into a bit of a wobble and then a capsize. I had quite a few turns which I aborted as the boom wasn't coming across and again I think these were all right hand turns.

My aim now is to turn a bit tighter, keep the arc constant, get the boom across and get out and hiking.

I'm actually now less concerned about what's going on with the kite as it seems to be the steering that causes most of the problems.

Still, practice, practice, practice!

-------------

Posted By: NickA
Date Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 5:11pm

Anyone else pre-gybe the kite?  I've learnt it as a help for single handing but found it helps when double handing too

• head down wind
  • swap the jib sheets in the cleats
  • haul kite across to new side, which starts the boat turning
  • flick the boom over
  • correct steering to stop the boat heading up
  • hook in
  • sheet in the kite
  • step out and head back up

Some musto skiff bloke recommended it to me.  Feels nice when it works!

-------------
Javelin 558
Contender 2574

Date Posted: 02 Sep 08 at 9:56pm

It sounds like a waste of speed to me - but I'll try it.  My experience is to get the gybe in before the boat loses speed then sort out the kite.  As for the jib, have knots to stop it going to far forward and just leave it uncleated - its a distraction.  You'll notice the big boats and even the Yingling drop the jib when the kite is up.

As for steering remember you are going fast and so should be gentle.  You'd steer a car gently at high speed wouldn't you - its completely analogous.  I can tell you that when you're doing nearly 20Knots (which I think the 4000 does) the steering is knife edge you have to be so very careful.

Posted By: feva sailor
Date Posted: 03 Sep 08 at 9:39pm

okay this is my heavy wind gybe step by step in my FEVA

1. make sure the crew is aware of the gybe!! (im crew and can tell you how anoying it is if the helm lost his voice!!!)

2. let the kicker off (depower sail)

3. come on to a run.

3. start gybe, use the strop (if you have one) to whip the boom over ASAP

4. move back onto the run before you overpower.(make sure you dont over steer and gybe again or depower so much it comes on top of you)

reaply kicker and when crew is ready bear back up so the jenny fills

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com