Forum Discription: Discuss the rules and your interpretations here
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=455
Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 1:53pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Right to tack for the next mark
Posted By: redback
Subject: Right to tack for the next mark
Date Posted: 13 Feb 05 at 9:47pm
I know its OK for team racing, but in ordinary racing, can a boat to windward of another continue as far as they like past a finish line and prevent their competitor to leeward from tacking for the finish?

Replies:
Posted By: Stefan Lloyd
Date Posted: 14 Feb 05 at 8:28am

Do you mean neither has finished at that point? In that case, I don't see why not.

If the windward boat has finished, he can't interfere with another boat that has not finished in either fleet or team racing.

Posted By: Adam84
Date Posted: 14 Feb 05 at 12:43pm

From what I understand the rules are the same for team racing and fleet racing so if it’s ok in team racing it should be fine in fleet racing.

Posted By: Scooby_simon
Date Posted: 14 Feb 05 at 1:22pm
Agreed, as long as the windward boat is on the same lap he can 'hold' the boat out as far as he likes.

-------------
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..

Posted By: catmandoo
Date Posted: 14 Feb 05 at 1:29pm

it works a treat too !

When windward controlling boat tacks for line /mark they are closer so should get there first , doesn't half wind up your competitor too!

You have to make dam sure in your approach that the persuing enraged buddy can't stop you from tacking at mark/line if required but as you will have overstood by then shouldn't be a problem.

-------------

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 14 Feb 05 at 1:38pm
As long as they haven't finished and the finish is a windward leg I think you can - but there's nothing to stop the leeward boat slowing down rapidly and tacking behind you or gybing round!

-------------
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk

Date Posted: 14 Feb 05 at 2:54pm

Originally posted by Adam84

From what I understand the rules are the same for team racing and fleet racing so if it’s ok in team racing it should be fine in fleet racing.

If you mean as far as Redback's question is concerned, then I agree. If you mean in all circumstances, then no, the rules are slightly different for team racing. RRS Appendix D lists the changes to the fleet racing rules. There are a number of changes which generally make a number of aggressive moves legal.

For example, there has been discussion on another thread here on whether an overlapped inside boat on starboard rounding a leeward mark to port must gybe immediately. In fleet races, 18.4 says they must. In team racing, 18.4 is deleted, so the inside boat can sail the outside boat past the mark to allow a team-mate to overtake.

Posted By: Adam84
Date Posted: 14 Feb 05 at 5:00pm

Thanks for that, I thought most of the rules where the same. How long have these changes to the fleet racing rules been in place?

Date Posted: 14 Feb 05 at 6:02pm
Most of the rules are the same - just a few change but it tends to be the ones that allow you to actively inconvenience other boats. I don't know how long the team racing rules have been different - a long time AFAIK.

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 15 Feb 05 at 8:01pm
There isn't any substaitial difference in the 89-92 rules and even in the current rules there are only five changes to the actual sailing rules. interestingly in the 89 rules you couldn't interfere with a boat on a different leg of the course (A4 1.1)

-------------
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com