Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 3:59pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: appeal
Posted By: Laser 173312
Subject: appeal
Date Posted: 29 Jul 08 at 6:12pm

New York courts have ruled on the appeal today

quote:

"Accordingly, the orders of the Supreme Court, New York County (Herman Cahn, J.), entered March 18, 2008 and May 13, 2008, which, inter alia, declared CNEV's challenge invalid and GGYC the Challenger of Record under the Deed of Gift, should be reversed, on the law, with costs, CNEV declared the Challenger of
Record, and, in keeping with the Deed of Gift's requirement that the defender be given at least 10 months' written notice to prepare for the challenge, the 10-month notice period should be tolled until service of a copy of this order."

All change again. What happens now?

Replies:
Posted By: Lukepiewalker
Date Posted: 29 Jul 08 at 10:26pm
More legal action

-------------
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"

Posted By: Stefan Lloyd
Date Posted: 30 Jul 08 at 6:28am

Originally posted by Laser 173312

All change again. What happens now? 

Nobody knows. It's unclear whether BMWO can appeal the appeal (different sources say different things). The contract with Valencia to host the effort has recently been cancelled and there appear to be only 3 challengers with funding lined up at present (Alinghi, BMWO and ETNZ). So who knows what happens now.

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 30 Jul 08 at 9:29am
who cares

-------------

Posted By: Contender 541
Date Posted: 30 Jul 08 at 12:49pm

What will happen next???????

It will get messy

It will get - even more - expensive

Those who got interested following the last edition will lose the will to live and give up

They will eventually get their act together and sail

Slowly the viewing public will regain their interest

An opportunity to build on interest gained will have been lost

Congratulations to all involved

-------------
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Posted By: Charlie
Date Posted: 30 Jul 08 at 9:20pm
BMWO will appeal

SNG will organise a second annual regatta for CNEV prob with kids in opi's again

The general public show no interest whatsoever

Bang goes the oldest continually contested trophy in sport

-------------
Finn GBR 657 - Blown It
Laser 164635
Planet Earth: 30% Land, 70% race course!

Posted By: contessa32
Date Posted: 30 Jul 08 at 10:11pm

The whole thing stinks with 2 huge billionaire egos involved. The Swiss are behaving like the Yanks ie use any trick possible to prevent a Challenger from winning. It is not rocket science to see that a Defender is in a position to steal a march on a Challenger by setting the Rules to suit something they have been working on for months.

Americas Cup Racing is aping F1 ie totally stupid and losing all credibility. AC Teams should be from the Country of Origin ie no floating Kiwis!

-------------
contessa

Posted By: bert
Date Posted: 31 Jul 08 at 9:08pm

Doe`s it really matter?

Do we really care?

Who know`s?

Who cares?

-------------
Phantom 1181
AC-227 IC 304
blaze / halo 586

Date Posted: 01 Aug 08 at 6:48am

Originally posted by bert

Do we really care?

Outside the Olympics, it's the most important event in sailing and has been for over a century. It's survived two world wars and the Great Depression. Team Origin shows signs of finally being a properly funded and managed British Challenge and an opportunity for the best small boat sailing country in the world to shine on the bigger boats.

And if that doesn't grab you, ever seen an IACC boat in action or even a 12M? Incredible boats.

So yes, as sailors, we should care.

Posted By: Laser 173312
Date Posted: 01 Aug 08 at 8:57am

Well said Stefan.

And I guess the cup will weather this storm as well. Might take a while to get things moving again as everyone has been distracted by the DOG match.

Cowes could be an interesting place to be next week with Alinghi, BMW Oracle and Origin all present in their cats.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 08 at 9:27pm

question:- Are we sailors OR legal eagle`s

As a sailor I think  Ithey are impressive boats that have NO real interest to ME but provide a talking point with non sailors this allows an interest in sailing to be brought forward however the tailing point at the moment is not usefull! OR is it?

However when I can`t win on the water ( which is everytime i sail ) I don`t try to change the rules because we all accept the same rules when we started the race,

I should change the way I sail & improve my sailing Not change the rules of the game.

So use the law courts to bend the rules to make winning easier, Not a good image for the sport & I am NOT interested in doing that!

Also to spend the large amounts of money on legal challenges when the masses are suffering a cash crises is normally seen as elitst.

Thats my 2p & why I would have a lack of interest & would be surprised if I was alone in that veiw.

-------------
Phantom 1181
AC-227 IC 304
blaze / halo 586

Posted By: Black no sugar
Date Posted: 01 Aug 08 at 10:40pm

LOL Had fun with the editing tools, Bert?

I think that all these legal wrangles alienate more and more that elite end of the sport from the grass roots we are. We used to look up to these races as the pinnacle of big boat sailing; it's slowing sinking into a dark, expensive farce. Pity.

-------------
http://www.lancingsc.org.uk/index.html - Lancing SC

Posted By: Lukepiewalker
Date Posted: 01 Aug 08 at 10:50pm
And the counter appeal is in!!!

All things being equal I feel the DoG challenge must be the way forward. Won't look great if we have two hideously expensive half built multihulls abandoned to build some expensive monohulls.
Seems a bit wasteful to me, and from a PR point of view that can't fail to be a bad thing.

-------------
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"

Date Posted: 02 Aug 08 at 3:11am
Originally posted by Black no sugar

LOL Had fun with the editing tools, Bert?

Yeah & the spelling is still bad! One day I`ll get it right possibly?

-------------
Phantom 1181
AC-227 IC 304
blaze / halo 586

Date Posted: 02 Aug 08 at 6:31am

Originally posted by bert

So use the law courts to bend the rules to make winning easier, Not a good image for the sport

BMWO and its supporters would assert that isn't what they are doing at all. Perhaps you should look into the history of what's happened a bit more.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 08 at 7:11pm

The precreived picture is rule bending & I can`t be bothered to follow the BS or follow up on the history ( see point below ) because it`s not interesting to watch a sport that I enjoyed being mucked about by RICH OLD MEN,Even if we are talking about lead mines which again don`t interest ME

BTW History is something that you should use to learn from,BUT history is alway writtern by the WINNERS NOT the LOSER`s OR is nessasary the truth.

So up to my 6 Pence worth & will not be going for 8 Pence

-------------
Phantom 1181
AC-227 IC 304
blaze / halo 586

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com