Print Page | Close Window

Any thoughts on RS 400?

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: General
Forum Name: Choosing a boat
Forum Discription: Ask any questions about the sport!
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=415
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 5:13pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Any thoughts on RS 400?
Posted By: PaulUK
Subject: Any thoughts on RS 400?
Date Posted: 24 Jan 05 at 8:24pm

Hi

I am thinking about buying an RS 400 and would appreciate any general comments and also specific comments on the following;

1) Can it be launched by 1 on a gentle slope?

2) Also sailed by one?

3) Would it manage two adults and a child?

4) Is it reasonably stable but good fun?

5) Any common design problems to look out for?

Many thanks

Paul

-------------
PaulUK

Replies:
Posted By: redback
Date Posted: 24 Jan 05 at 10:37pm

The RS400 is a fabulous boat, apart from the B14 which has massive wings its the fastest 2 person non trapeze boat.  Its faster than quite few trapeze boats that used to be called "high performance", ie Fireball, Contender and 470.

It gets such high performance from light weight, slim waterline and loads of sail area and is very well designed and put together with a very adjustable rig.  You'd need about 24 stone hanging over the side to get it going properly and some would say its not very stable. 

You could do all that you suggest but reading between the lines I'd say you are looking at the wrong boat.  Judging from your questions can I suggest something like a Laser 2000. 

Date Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 1:48pm

I know what you mean about the Laser 2000 being more suitable, but I only have £2-£4k to spend and secondhand they tend to be more than this, any other ideas?

Thanks

Paul

-------------
PaulUK

Posted By: headfry
Date Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 2:23pm
Hi PaulUK,  I am in a similar postion I want a 400 and am a little worried that it is only a 'get in and race flat out' type of boat...... I want to do all types of sailing!

My reasons for the 400

1,I fell in love with the shape of the 400

2, I would like a boat to grow into and not out of! As I sail on a pond I will just GO FOR IT and see what happens, If it's not for me I will be able to sell it and say at least I tried. But I bet I  have loadsa fun learning to sail it, A bit of a headfry really!

Date Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 8:14pm

A 400 on a pond, there is less risk, so why not. 

Paul would you consider an Enterprise.  Apart from my Laser4000 I have an old Enterprise it is stable but not dull, has loads of room and is light making it easy to manouvre off the water.  It is also an extremely versatile boat, able to be sailed one-up or with 4, can take an outboard and is light enough to be paddled along rivers and creeks.  Having a small jib means its capable of being sheeted by light weights like kids and no spinnaker means it is simple to rig and handle.  They perform extremely well in light winds and a cruising version would have a way of reefing the main (which is fairly large).

Don't buy a wooden one (loads of maintenance) but an old glass one can be had for a few hundred pounds with road trailer and trolley. 

Sometimes the old ones are good ones.  Should you get into racing you'll find there is a huge competitive network - but then you will want a wooden one - but that's a whole different ball game.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 8:27pm

Yes I think I would consider an Enterprise. I am looking to return to sailing after having learnt whilst at school, maybe the best bet is to try something I can pick up fairly cheap then see how I get on.

Paul

-------------
PaulUK

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 9:26pm
Paul

I'd try the Enterprise class association - they should be able to tell you which clubs have an active fleet near you and arrange a trial sail and probably have second hand boats for sail.

We have a very active fleet at BCYC and also use them for level 2. You can reef them by rolling the main round the boom as they have an aft mainsheet and the chine gives them some extra stability.

-------------
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk

Date Posted: 26 Jan 05 at 12:19pm

Thanks Garry I will do that.

Just out of interest, whats a Lark like? I assume the name and sail number  suggest you have one, isnt it a bit like an Enterprise?

Paul

-------------
PaulUK

Posted By: Matt Jackson
Date Posted: 26 Jan 05 at 12:39pm

Originally posted by redback

The RS400 is a fabulous boat, apart from the B14 which has massive wings its the fastest 2 person non trapeze boat.  Its faster than quite few trapeze boats that used to be called "high performance", ie Fireball, Contender and 470.

Tee Hee. I think that's the first time someone's called a Contender high performance (with or without inverted commas) on the forum. Gawd bless you guv'nor.

I never found the RS400 too tippy and I moved from a (rather pedestrian) Tasar which I had whilst teaching my wife to crew. It was quite powerful though.

-------------
Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36

Posted By: Rob.e
Date Posted: 26 Jan 05 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by PaulUK

I know what you mean about the Laser 2000 being more suitable, but I only have £2-£4k to spend and secondhand they tend to be more than this, any other ideas

I think you'd get a good 2000 cheaper than a 400! I agree that an Ent might be more appropriate, and I think that any of those 3 would sell easily if you decided you'd got the wrong one.

Re: the Lark, it's a lovely boat, but a little more tippy perhaps, and less suited for family/cruising. Again, though, you can pick up a cheap one that you could sell quite easily if you wanted!

All the above classes seem to be thriving...

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 26 Jan 05 at 5:23pm
Larks have similar sail area to Enterprise (jib&main) plus the advanage of a Kite    However, because they don't have chines they tend to be a bit less stable and the room for the crew to get under the boom is a bit limited.

Friendliest class association around (others might disagree!!! but don't believe them ) Very competitive fleet.

Lots of cheap good boats available £1200 should get you a reasonable boat and £500 something sailable. In that respect very like an Ent.

You can rig them with a Mirror main if you want less sail area (can also do that with an Ent).

Visit the    http://www.larkclass.org - class website

If you want a trial sail I'm sure someone can onblige - visit us at the Dinghy Show...

-------------
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk

Posted By: ChrisJ
Date Posted: 28 Jan 05 at 9:45am

You can find an Enterprise for £200 to £1000 (or up to £5000!) second hand. At the cheaper end, as long as it doesn't leak, and as long as there is no rot in the wood, you will be able to sell it after a year or two for the same you paid. An Enterprise has less for the crew to do than a 400 - which may be a good thing, or may not.

If you sail on a small pond, then an Enterprise could be better than a 400. If you sail on a larger pond, then the 400 is a much more exciting ride than an Enterprise.

The 400 is more tippy, and has a much more powerful main, which can not be reefed. But if you are sailing inland in winds generally below force 4, you will find the 400 is a great boat to sail. With the asymetric kite up it really comes alive down-wind. Sailing the 400 is fairly straight-forward: You can let the boat go where she wants to, and can sail at 15 degrees of tip. Racing (when you have to make the boat go fast, upright, where you want to go) is a harder skill to master!

At our club (Burghfield) we have people who race with young (certainly pre-teen) sons crewing.

Posted By: Stefan Lloyd
Date Posted: 28 Jan 05 at 3:36pm

Originally posted by headfry

1,I fell in love with the shape of the 400

A Merlin Rocket is much the same shape (the 400 designer was for many years the most inflential Merlin designer) and may be cheaper 2nd hand. They have less sail area than the 400 and hence are more suitable for lighter crews. You can get them 2nd hand from a few hundred pounds upwards. There are some plastic and composite ones around but most are wood and therefore need more maintenance. The class association is very active and friendly.

Posted By: Rob.e
Date Posted: 28 Jan 05 at 8:24pm
I loved our Merlin, and given a good crew I might still prefer one to a 400, but the 400's assymetric does make it easier! Potentially you could pick up a Merlin cheaper, tho'. A lot depends on the crew. We went from a Nat 12 to the Merlin and where amazed at the increased sheet loads, which could also apply to the 400. If you have a smaller/weaker crew, the Ent could be better.

Posted By: Harry44981!
Date Posted: 29 Jan 05 at 10:26am
What is the 400s competitve weight?

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 05 at 10:32am
Well I'd say its quite broad but around 24 stone.  Fitness is important because you have to sit the thing out upwind and down, unlike a conventional kite boat.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 05 at 9:54am
Hi folks,

I am off to look at my first boat...... green or what, excited or what  I have largely to trust fellow sailors that they are being true to their word when it comes to the condition of the boat.

I need to know how to get a peak at the centre board ? feel I should at least know of it's condition. would I be wrong in my asking?

Any other tips??    

Thanks

Posted By: Pierre
Date Posted: 04 Mar 05 at 9:58am

Get them to put it over on its side so you can see the centre board down, slot gasket and state of the underneath.  Check the state of the sails as well.  RS400 sails are very expensive.  You need to see it rigged in front of you.

Good luck, and happy hunting.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 05 at 12:16pm
Thanks Pierre, good point about gasket, I had forgotton that one!  There is so much for the newbie to remember to check, I feel a list happening here! 

Date Posted: 05 Mar 05 at 4:22pm

Hi all

I got an old enterprise in the end, it has seen better days but was very cheap and should at least get me sailing.

Thanks for all the advice

Paul

-------------
PaulUK

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com