URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=409
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 8:33am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What to wear?
Posted By: Wave Rider
Subject: What to wear?
Date Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 8:09pm

Hi there,

I sail a topper and fireball and at the moment and was wonderig what sort of thing i should be wearing ???

At the moment i just wear a wetsuit iwth a mack on top and its kinda cold so its there anything i could put on top??

Thanks

-------------
           -[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933

Replies:
Posted By: sailor.jon
Date Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 8:15pm

i wear my dry suit, ( which took ages to save 4)
but when its warm i wear a 3mm shorty,

maybe you shud wear splash proof trouses aswell, keep the wind off your legs, but they are a pain when ur hiking after a few times of sliding in and out they end up round ur ankels lol

-------------
Jon
Vortex 1169
http://www.yorkshiredales.sc/ - Yorkshire Dales Sailing Club

Posted By: Harry44981!
Date Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 8:47pm

you need hikers for a topper waverider, and in summer you can jst wear them as a shorty with hikking pads.

To keep warm i either wear my drysuit, or wetsuit, hikers, spraytop, lots of thermals and rashvests, thick hat. And keep moving!

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 8:49pm
yeh thats probley best advice, keep moving! stay out of the water, i know its so tempting to dive head first into that freezing cold nuclear waste infected lake but u must resist,

-------------
Jon
Vortex 1169

Posted By: Rob.e
Date Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 9:06pm
Rooster Aquafleece is the best thing I ever bought! Buy online @ http://www.roostersailing.com - www.roostersailing.com they do good hikers too, and have a fully layered system with a "Race skin" to go under. Sorry for sounding like an advert, but I've sailed a long time, and it is good stuff. (BTW I have no connection with them!)

Posted By: redback
Date Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 9:11pm

If you haven't got much money for all the flash gear (I haven't) I suggest wearing a thermal vest or a wollen sweater under your wetsuit.  Do not wear a tee shirt. It has to be a material which stays warm when wet - cotton does not.

Similarly don't wear cotton socks, wool or thermal material is best but you can get away with acrylan or most of the artificial fibres.  I can't stress this enough, cotton is OK when dry, but worst than nothing when wet.

Posted By: Mark
Date Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 9:48pm
Shorts and "T" shirt, it you are too cold................... Head for the bar !!!!

Posted By: squeek
Date Posted: 23 Jan 05 at 8:54pm
rooster blindstich wet sox keep ur feet warm!! wear dm under normall wet boots n they cost me a fiver! my feet used 2 go white with cold bt not any more!!

Posted By: Chris Noble
Date Posted: 23 Jan 05 at 9:32pm
ideally get yourself soem 3/4 length hiking shorts, you may doubt the idea at first, i did, but since i bought my first pair ive never used anyhting else, evn in winter, all you need to change (i find) between seasons, is what you wear ontop, in winter i have around 3 rash vests and a thermal layer all under a breathable smock and then a bouyancy aid, in summer either just one uv prtectice rash vert and a bouyancy aid, or just a bouyancy aid and some spf 44+ sun cream, bear in mind that the hikers are kind of dungaree style where they cover some of your torso aswell. well worth it and you can pick up a pair for as little as £60, id recomend as a good basic pair the bottom of the range magic marine ones.

-------------
http://www.noblemarine.co.uk/home.php3?affid=561 - Competitive Boat Insurance From Noble Marine

FOR SALE:

I14 2 Masts 2 poles 3 Booms, Foils Kites/Mains/Jibs too many to list.

Posted By: Jon Emmett
Date Posted: 24 Jan 05 at 8:59am
When I sailed a fireball battern hiking pants were not allowed but they are a good idea for the Topper. To help you keep warm wear something decent on your head, you will be surprised the difference it makes!

-------------
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Your-Own-Tactics-Coach/dp/0470973218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312565831&sr=8-1 -

Date Posted: 24 Jan 05 at 5:48pm

Ok thanks

I am thinking of getting a Gul spray suit as they look like they would do he job..................Is there any reason why i shouldnt?

-------------
           -[Franko]-
           RS600 933

Posted By: ssailor
Date Posted: 24 Jan 05 at 8:22pm
On my laser I usually wear my drysui with a set of hikers, however when not in drysuit a set of 3/4 length hikers are perfect combined with t shirt, rash vest, rosster aquafleece and sometimes a gul spray top.

The aquafleeces are really good, the only time you can feel the cold is when you fall in and are completely submerged, this is due to water entering from wetsuit etc, spray and wind dont usually have an effect with one on!

-------------
Any one in need of quality carbon fibre work (tillers etc) at decent prices!

Int 14 Gbr 1244 'Nucking Futs'

The New Port rule!!.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 4:53pm

Ok thanks,

#

what i was really wondering was :

Is a breathable spray suit over a 3mm wetsuit going to make a good, warm combination or not and what is the down side to spray suits (all in one)???

-------------
           -[Franko]-
           RS600 933

Posted By: hurricane
Date Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 6:20pm
em they look like a poor mans dry suit and people always asume they are so they say u can go in the water from safety boats etc!!!

Date Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 6:39pm
Lol yeah thats wat i need ! emphasis on poor mans

-------------
           -[Franko]-
           RS600 933

Posted By: *GM*
Date Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 6:49pm
It'll keep the windchill off your legs in a way that a spray top obviously won't and it'll keep spray off which might stop you cooling down as much - but it isn't going to add much in the way of warmth. Particularly if you have a swim...

Posted By: redback
Date Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 7:29pm
I find a spray suit sticks to the wetsuit around the knees and restricts flexibility.  Personally I'd wear a set of thermals under the wetsuit (cheaper and warmer especially when swimming) and spend the balance on sray top.  Incidentally a breathable spray top is so much better than a non-breathable.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 4:55pm

Ok but as i dont have that much to spend id rather get an all in one kinda thing i think??

Also if you wade in to launch the boat ill it keep the water out briefly or will it all come straight up my legs??

-------------
           -[Franko]-
           RS600 933

Posted By: sjm.
Date Posted: 28 Jan 05 at 10:39am

Originally posted by Wave Rider

Also if you wade in to launch the boat ill it keep the water out briefly or will it all come straight up my legs??

Come straight up I think, most only have adjustable ankles not water tight ones... water comes straight in the wrist seals of spray tops and these are a better seal than ankle seals any day. I think you'd find a separate top and trousers more versatile.

regarding buoyancy aids, can anyone answer if they should be worn outside or inside a dry suit? Does wearing one inside make a difference to your buoyancy or have no effect?

Ta.

-------------
Si
Solo 2751 "Jolly Jumper"

Posted By: moomin
Date Posted: 28 Jan 05 at 11:00am

Bouyancy aids go outside drysuit. Inside will add air and make it difficult to expell meaning you may float wrony way up with air trapped inside the dry suit.

Bouyancy aids or trapeze harnesses make good things to get hold of if a rescue boat crew needs to drag you out of the drink, the outside of a dry suit is slippery and may well tear if pulled on, and believe me if a safety bost crew is dragging you out of the drink they are not normally overly concerned if they rip your suit

-------------
Moomin

Posted By: nathan
Date Posted: 28 Jan 05 at 11:09am

I have known people wear lifejackets inside drysuits for the same reason- so they dont get caught on things in the boat. However it does make putting your drysuit on even harder- and isn't the most flattering of looks.

P.S never ask a lady if shes wearing her lifejacket under her drysuit- the answer is usually an agressive no!!

Posted By: sjm.
Date Posted: 28 Jan 05 at 12:32pm
Thanks, am considering getting a drysuit as I really don't like going in the oggin until at least july. Once all the air is expelled are they more comfortable than they look?

-------------
Si
Solo 2751 "Jolly Jumper"

Date Posted: 28 Jan 05 at 4:17pm
Some people think they rstrict movement, but i dont seem to find that a problem

-------------

Posted By: sailor girl
Date Posted: 29 Jan 05 at 6:31pm
they can be horrible if you don't get a breathable one!!

-------------
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!

Posted By: maxim
Date Posted: 29 Jan 05 at 6:37pm
Also make sure you never rip one where it may
become submerged - or you have legs of water (not
nice if you fall in).

Max

Posted By: bigwavedave
Date Posted: 29 Jan 05 at 7:44pm
And don't pee in your dry suit.  It don't flush through like a wetsuit or so I've been told.

-------------

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 29 Jan 05 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by bigwavedave

And don't pee in your dry suit.  It don't flush through like a wetsuit or so I've been told.

You pee in your wetsuit!!!!!

There is an advantage to wearing your BA on the outside - if you have to be rescued it gives the rescuers something to grab

-------------
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk

Date Posted: 29 Jan 05 at 8:12pm

Ok Thanks im sorted now.........

i got a steamer, breathable spray top and funny neoprene balaclava thingy!

-------------
           -[Franko]-
           RS600 933

Posted By: bigwavedave
Date Posted: 29 Jan 05 at 8:19pm
No I don't pee in my wetsuit.  It was a conversation being held in the changing rooms.  He did stink!

-------------

Posted By: hurricane
Date Posted: 30 Jan 05 at 11:17am

well the sufers do!!! and they are the ones that are campainging against sewage

how ironic!!!!!

Posted By: tgruitt
Date Posted: 30 Jan 05 at 12:36pm
I go on the theory that if the sheets are frozen and the cover is all stiff then it's drysuit time, but I don't get all of the air out of it because if you leave a bit of air in it it gets warm and stays warm! Other than that i wear shorts and T shirt with Gill spray top and Musto high up trousers, keeps me warm 3 miles offshore in 28kts of breeze in a National 12 and Laser 4000!

Posted By: Chris Noble
Date Posted: 05 Feb 05 at 7:23pm
for what you pay for them ive found that rash vests are an unbelievably versitile and worth while peice of kit, be it a single layer under a BA in summer or a few layers of them over one layer of thermals in winter, ive never been cold using them! by far worth at least having two in your bag.

-------------
http://www.noblemarine.co.uk/home.php3?affid=561 - Competitive Boat Insurance From Noble Marine

FOR SALE:

I14 2 Masts 2 poles 3 Booms, Foils Kites/Mains/Jibs too many to list.

Posted By: Lucy Lee
Date Posted: 06 Feb 05 at 11:10pm
Here here Chris. I was given a rash vest for christmas and am a complete convert. I've not been cold sailing at two freeeeezing regattas (Exe & Grafham) nor when we were out in Weymouth everyday last week on our holiday. 

-------------
Fly Cherub!

Posted By: pico master
Date Posted: 16 Feb 05 at 10:26am
the rash vests with neoprene torso bits are good, they keep you much warmer than a normal one.

Posted By: big man
Date Posted: 17 Feb 05 at 12:32pm
i know a man at my club and he is quite happy wearing a shortie all year round. its not like he doesnt own a wet suit either he uses a full wet suit for windsurfing. he is a good sailor tho.

-------------
keep it flat you t***

Posted By: stuarthop
Date Posted: 17 Feb 05 at 6:59pm

he just doesnt like the amount a full wetsuit restricts you in the boat

i prefer to wear shorts and a rashie as much as possible

-------------

Posted By: frankie_is_sad
Date Posted: 18 Feb 05 at 11:52pm
You should wear spandex wetsuits try this website: www.spandex.com/stupidstupidyou

Date Posted: 19 Feb 05 at 11:23am
Frankie_is_sad

all u have done since u started posting is advertise "spandex" i wud stop now if i were u mate, other wise it'll turn out like that "wing drive" thing with marga n that other random dude whose name i 4got

-------------
Jon
Vortex 1169

Date Posted: 20 Feb 05 at 7:43pm

Frankie_is_sad

Hmmm i guess we have the gay from little britain on our forum !

-------------
           -[Franko]-
           RS600 933

Posted By: Phil eltringham
Date Posted: 21 Feb 05 at 5:51pm

(que bad camp welsh accent) Look you! I'm the only gay on this forum!!

-------------
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen

Date Posted: 21 Feb 05 at 6:00pm
I wonder what the administrator with think of my gay posts, but i'm here and i'm queer get used to it!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 05 at 6:12pm
lol

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 05 at 6:40pm

I did a few of them aswell  !!!

They havent been deleted yet

-------------
           -[Franko]-
           RS600 933

Posted By: Philsy
Date Posted: 28 Mar 05 at 4:03pm
OK, all this talk of hikers and rash vests has got me confused.

I've come from windsurfing where you wear a wetsuit and have done with
it. Can someone please tell me in simple English what I need to get for
dinghy sailing? I assume I can wear my existing wetsuit, but some sort of
outer layer is required to protect it from snagging on the boat, right?

Posted By: Mike278
Date Posted: 28 Mar 05 at 10:09pm
all i wear is a wetsuit, wetsuit boots, salopettes and a spray top. (thats only when it's cold, in summer shorts and t-shirt)

-------------
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Posted By: Lucy Lee
Date Posted: 29 Mar 05 at 9:46am

Originally posted by Philsy

OK, all this talk of hikers and rash vests has got me confused.

I've come from windsurfing where you wear a wetsuit and have done with
it. Can someone please tell me in simple English what I need to get for
dinghy sailing? I assume I can wear my existing wetsuit, but some sort of
outer layer is required to protect it from snagging on the boat, right?

The main problem with Dinghy sailing compared to windsurfing is that you actually spend quite a lot of time sitting still. So  it is worth wearing slightly more kit than you would on a board. My top tips are 1) Balaclava : can be pushed round your neck when you get too hot and pulled up over your head between races or when the wind drops and you stop moving about so much. 2) Spray top +/- trousers, not only to protect your wetsuit from sharp stuff but also to reduce wind chill.

If you are still getting chilly then a rash vest under your wetsuit can really help if you don't want to buy a thicker wetsuit. As regards hikers: get a trapeze boat  

-------------
Fly Cherub!

Date Posted: 29 Mar 05 at 10:01am
Thanks guys - I think I've sussed it now.

Posted By: Beebe
Date Posted: 30 Mar 05 at 7:26pm
Are board shorts a worthwhile investment to stop your wetsuit
getting snagged?

Posted By: pro wannabe
Date Posted: 30 Mar 05 at 9:10pm
wear what YOU want

-------------
Your spinni aint as big as your mouth!

Posted By: Skimmer
Date Posted: 30 Mar 05 at 10:17pm
I'm new to the sailing and getting my gear together. An 'old hand' at my club recommends the range of dinghy clothing from Decathlon "95% of the performance of the big brands at 50% of the price" - anyone agree/disagree?

Date Posted: 30 Mar 05 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by pro wannabe

wear what YOU want

Er, not very helpful mate ;)

Date Posted: 31 Mar 05 at 12:10pm
Never wear a balaclava wen ur sailing coz you can't feel what the winds doing aswel. Just wear lycra shorts over your wetsuit to protect it and board shorts in the summer. simple as

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com