Print Page | Close Window

Excel Boat Show a waste of time.

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: General
Forum Name: Boat Shows
Forum Discription: Discuss the various boat shows we have in the sailing industry
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3826
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 10:44pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Excel Boat Show a waste of time.
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Excel Boat Show a waste of time.
Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 7:11pm
In the thirty odd years I've been alternatively visiting or working there I
can honestly say today was the worse experience I've ever had and that
includes the year the IRA blew us up.

Of the three main dinghy stands the only one that looked at all busy was
the RS stand and there was nothing new there other than some new
Washing Up bowl with a sail on it.

Topper are now all washing up bowls and Lazer seem to be following this
trend to polyethylene, O.K. for mass production it might be, but as we all
know for performance it sucks, what's happening to the U.K. boat
Industry?

I heard tales of threats and coersion some feared that not attending
would ruin them in the future, but across the board for the Watersports
rather than the Gin Palace or Cruising sort there is absolutely no reason to
come to this show in future.

The good news is the flat attendance is affecting prices, we managed to
get an outboard for the small club rescue boat for £460 down from £680
RRP. But my chum struggled to find the deck cleat device he wanted, the
chandlerys were all clothes and deck shoes .

So if like me you happen to be either a windsurfer, kitesurfer,
wakeboarder, racing dinghy sailor with a passing interest in Cruising
Cats, save your money, it's not worth the trip.

I think today must be OAP day there were acres of grey hair, some of
which made my soup go cold as she struggled to pay her 9.50 lunch bill
with a credit card. There comes a time when they should just gas old folk,
someone shoot me if ever I get like that (And manage to survive the
Cherabim death threat).

But really, I'm so disappointed not to see something interesting after
bothering to take the day off work, they really have to buck their ideas up,
the Earls Court show wasn't much better from our perspective, so I guess
its all down to the Dinghy show, but that's also a tad single track if your
interest is wider than dinghies.

I think I might have bumped into one of the Musto Crew, but couldn't be
sure, it might have been Rick, but without his cap or toupe, he looked a
bit different so I sidled off, only to quite literally nearly bump into
Princess Anne a few minutes later, I ignored her...

Replies:
Posted By: FireballNeil
Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 7:29pm

[QUOTE=G.R.F]In the thirty odd years I've been alternatively visiting or working there I
can honestly say today was the worse experience I've ever had and that
includes the year the IRA blew us up.

I think today must be OAP day there were acres of grey hair, some of
which made my soup go cold as she struggled to pay her 9.50 lunch bill
with a credit card. There comes a time when they should just gas old folk,

IQUOTE]

LOL!

-------------
Neil

Posted By: Prince Buster
Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 8:32pm
I agree, the boat show was rubbish.

Posted By: alstorer
Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 8:37pm
Despite the poor review from the forum grump, I'll still be there- outside, for a couple of hours! I'll be at the B14 on the concourse near the dock. There's 29ers racing 12:00, 49ers at 13:00, and B14s at 14:00- short course format, as far as I know three races each class! I might have got that wrong though.

Posted By: radixon
Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by alstorer

Despite the poor review from the forum grump, I'll still be there- outside, for a couple of hours! I'll be at the B14 on the concourse near the dock. There's 29ers racing 12:00, 49ers at 13:00, and B14s at 14:00- short course format, as far as I know three races each class! I might have got that wrong though.

Probably the only highlight at the show.

I went, girlfriend is working there and have to agree its pants.

Even the Rooster stand is ALL clothing, good job I don't need anything else.

As for the washingup bowls

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by alstorer

Despite the poor review from the forum grump, I'll still
be there- outside, for a couple of hours! I'll be at the B14 on the
concourse
near the dock.

Well whoopidoo!

I'll come back just to watch.

Mind if I drop off some washing?

Get the B14 washerwomen to sort it whilst I'm there?

There are loads of bowls inside they can use

Posted By: Villan
Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 9:15pm
I must admit ... There was hardly anything there dinghy related ... ( I think the 3 dinghy stands were just there so they didn't get shown up by the other companies )

Excel = Yottie ( Saw so many people seriously considering some of those ... lead .. things ... ) .. and as per GRF's observations, they were all old, had their slippers on, and many were going grey. ( And didnt look like they would use a boat for any other purpose than somewhere to sit in the summer ... The poor yacht wouldnt even leave its dock apart from the winter for cleaning! )

Dinghy show - Many more dinghies. Stands are all aimed much more at us ( smaller fittings instead of gringer things ) and many more younger people! ( Dont bother cracking out the free buspass for this one GRF - Lots of cherubs and washer-women )

-------------
Vareo - 149 "Secrets"
http://www.TandyUKServers.co.uk" rel="nofollow - TandyUK Servers

Posted By: Webmuppet
Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 9:16pm
I went to the Excel Boat Show last year and it was a very similar format, I enjoyed myself. I'm going to spend tomorrow at the show and I'll let you know what I thought of it. True, there's not a huge amount of dinghy stuff on display, however the show is quite a spectacle and I found enough to keep me entertained.

If your focus is only on dinghy stuff then, you're probably better off waiting for the Ally Pally show - I like both shows, they are very different but both enjoyable.

Nigel

P.S. There are colour coded maps of the show's layout on the http://www.londonboatshow.com/ - Boat Show website , it's quite clear how much of the show is dedicated to chandlery, Dinghies, Inland Waterways etc. If you aren't sure if it's your cup of tea, do some research to make sure that your area of interest is represented

-------------
I am the milkman of human kindness, I will leave an extra pint (Billy Bragg)

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'

Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 9:39pm
I agree the Excel show has been good, even last year wasn't that bad, the
year before was better when they had the pool and the windsurfing, wake
stuff and just the energy and atmosphere that those participants bring.

Seriously you are going to be disappointed, they hoovered up any
atmosphere that might have been there, it's just flat, everyone's flat,
everythings flat.

Even the Guiness.

Posted By: theycallmegod
Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 9:44pm
I went- i thought the cherub stand was Excellent, as was the B14 one.
I was particullarly impressed with the 12" skiffs, but the RS500 looked a little sparse....

Posted By: Villan
Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 10:15pm
Yeh .. We looked for the PicoPool ...

And were severley disapointed that it wasnt there!!

-------------
Vareo - 149 "Secrets"
http://www.TandyUKServers.co.uk" rel="nofollow - TandyUK Servers

Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by theycallmegod

I went- i thought the cherub stand was Excellent,
as was the B14 one.I was particullarly impressed with the 12" skiffs, but the
RS500 looked a little sparse....

You're not trying to torment me are you God?

Shouldn't you be in heaven, trying to keep the Cherubim in order?

Answering their prayers like....

"Please God make me as brave as GRF so I can sail on the sea one day"

Posted By: $alty_dog41409
Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 10:25pm

Originally posted by Villan

Excel = Yottie ( Saw so many people seriously considering some of those ... lead .. things ... ) .. and as per GRF's observations, they were all old, had their slippers on, and many were going grey. ( And didnt look like they would use a boat for any other purpose than somewhere to sit in the summer ... The poor yacht wouldnt even leave its dock apart from the winter for cleaning! )

ey ey ey. im a yottie type person aswell. even though im 16. and they ent all like that. some of us do actually use them for racing. and its a lot more complicated start with lots of big boats than with lots of small ones.

im still a dinghy person though. but doing a bit of both is good.

-------------
Vortex 1108    Cookie Monster

Posted By: tgruitt
Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by $alty_dog41409

ey ey ey. im a yottie type person aswell. even though im 16. and they ent all like that. some of us do actually use them for racing. and its a lot more complicated start with lots of big boats than with lots of small ones.

Do schools not teach people to use capital letters after a full stop nowadays? I think what he meant to say was:

Hello. I'm a person who sails yachts as well, even though I am only 16 years of age. They are not all like that, some of us do actually use them for racing. It's a lot more complicated at the start with lots of big boats compared to small ones.
I sail dinghies too, I think sailing in a bit of both is good.

-------------
Needs to sail more...

Posted By: Ross
Date Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 11:43pm
I was considoring going to the show but it sounds like I made the right decision in not going.

I get bored of yachts very quickley. It's nice to go out for a weekend during the summer, but otherwise it's an expensive way to have a few beers and pull bits of string every 25 mins.

G.R.F, I would sail on the sea, It's just that i'm yet to find any coastal waters in North London .

-------------
Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!

Posted By: MerlinMags
Date Posted: 17 Jan 08 at 10:08am
I do despair of the washing-up bowl boats.

At least in Sainsburys when I buy a washing-up bowl I have a choice of 3 colours....

Date Posted: 17 Jan 08 at 3:39pm
The washing up bowl boats predominate as it is in the first instance a trade show after all. The main customers for dinghies at the show are sailing schools and holiday companies- OK, so the biggies will likely have all their deals for the season done before hand, but the multitude of smaller ones won't. And schools/holiday companies aren't interested into outright speed or competitive fleets, they're more interested in durability and price. And rotomolds win on price and durability, full stop.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 08 at 8:18pm
Ross- Its only an hours drive to the East Coast, if you fancy a sea sail!!

$altydog, we don't do MSN chat/text talk on here, only proper talk!!!

MerlinMags - I like your style, and that comes from a Y+Y Admin member!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: $alty_dog41409
Date Posted: 17 Jan 08 at 8:20pm

Sorry guys. Too much time on msn has taken it's toll. I get lazy at typing and don't bother with punctuation and capitals.

-------------
Vortex 1108    Cookie Monster

Posted By: timnoyce
Date Posted: 17 Jan 08 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by MerlinMags

I do despair of the washing-up bowl boats.

At least in Sainsburys when I buy a washing-up bowl I have a choice of 3 colours....

Didnt see any washing up bowls on our stand! They're all real man built yachts!

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/bearfootdesign - BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb

Date Posted: 18 Jan 08 at 10:40am
Hey! Richard, what are you saying about us Y&Y admin lot then?

Posted By: Webmuppet
Date Posted: 18 Jan 08 at 10:59am
Well, I have to say that despite all the doom and gloom on this thread, I really enjoyed the show. I thought that the main stage was a good idea and I met up with loads of old friends as I wandered round the stands. It's not as good as the dinghy show, if that's your sole interest, however I had a very nice day-out. Especially nice to meet up with Biff and Amy working on the Yachts and Yachting stand,

Cheers,

Nigel

-------------
I am the milkman of human kindness, I will leave an extra pint (Billy Bragg)

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'

Posted By: Pabs
Date Posted: 18 Jan 08 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by tgruitt

Originally posted by $alty_dog41409

Do schools not teach people to use capital letters after a full stop nowadays? I think what he meant to say was:

Hello. I'm a person who sails yachts as well, even though I am only 16 years of age. They are not all like that, some of us do actually use them for racing. It's a lot more complicated at the start with lots of big boats compared to small ones.
I sail dinghies too, I think sailing in a bit of both is good.

Is thus a salin web seat or a speelin 1@

-------------
Boatless and Clubless

Posted By: Matt Jackson
Date Posted: 18 Jan 08 at 1:53pm

The boat show has always been rubbish, the only entertaining thing is always spotting those who put on their deck shoes and oilies to visit central London! I can even get a little bored by the Dinghy Show nowadays especially now there's so little windsurfing stuff.

Flip did I just agree with G.R.F.?

-------------
Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 18 Jan 08 at 4:05pm

The shows is what it is - I went and met the people I wanted to see and had a good day ...

The Dinghy Show is of course the daddy ...

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 08 at 4:06pm

Originally posted by MerlinMags

Hey! Richard, what are you saying about us Y&Y admin lot then?

I like the way that as a member of the Y+Y staff you agree that plastic boats are like Washing up bowls. You should be trying to promote them and get people into sailing and not diss them.

But I am sure you have to agree, to sail a REAL boat, it has to be made of either wood, or fibreglass!

-------------

Posted By: ratface
Date Posted: 19 Jan 08 at 9:28pm
we(Villan and I) saw 'the Stig' 
challenged him to see if we could beat his time on that 'cinema experience' thingy stand. Not sure how we did tho and didn't get him speaking either

-------------
http://www.blym.org.uk/ - BLYM
http://www.blym.org.uk/hydrs/index.htm - Hertfordshire Sailing team
Uk-Cherub 2644
Laser 4000 -4089

Date Posted: 19 Jan 08 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by ratface

we(Villan and I) saw 'the Stig' 
challenged him to see if we could beat his time on that 'cinema experience' thingy stand. Not sure how we did tho and didn't get him speaking either

Its not the real stig. Did you not notice the baggy suit he was wearing!

(for everyone else it was an advertising/marketing thingy!!!!)

-------------

Posted By: ratface
Date Posted: 19 Jan 08 at 9:48pm
i guessed that!!

real stiggy doesnt have hair coz hes not human... this wannabe had hair

-------------
http://www.blym.org.uk/ - BLYM
http://www.blym.org.uk/hydrs/index.htm - Hertfordshire Sailing team
Uk-Cherub 2644
Laser 4000 -4089

Date Posted: 20 Jan 08 at 1:30pm
Nowhere in my Y&Y contract does it say I have to like plastic boats! And I am very keen to get people sailing....I find that taking a newbie crew out means I have an excuse to come last, heh heh.

Despite loving wooden boats, I don't really mind plastic - I just want to see some COLOUR!! That was my main gripe.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 08 at 3:27pm
Went yesterday (Saturday). As others have said, there wasn't too much to interest pure dinghy sailors inside- the Laser and RS stands (and obviously the glass-fibre shunning Topper stand) were focused around their plastic boats- incidentally, I'd never before noticed the semi-circular groove in the foredeck of the RS Tera, are they planning to put a kit on it?- with anything really performance orientated towards the back. Hobie seemed to have a bigger stand for their kayaks than their cats. Hartley had left the fun boats at home (no Kestrel, Osprey or Cherub) and Comet, well, they don't do interesting. I did have a succesful shopping trip, and signed up for a magazine subscription.

Outside, where I spent most of the day volunteering at the B14, was better. We had a good position for watching the Ovington Grand Prix racing- this was a definite highlight. The set up was good, with the start line postioned nicely off a dockside pontoon with only the narrowboats upwind- no yacht masts or Sunseekers to get in the road (though the bridge obscured the windward mark). It was good to watch, with places (other than 1st place in the Mustos) changing regularly, and some OK commentary- this certainly helped gather attention to what was going on. The course and start sequence was simple too- the flags being a class logo at 3 minutes, then flags with "2 min" and "1 min". It did, however, look like a complete pig to sail in, an observation confirmed later by those sailing in it.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com