Forum Discription: The latest moves in the dinghy market
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3568
Printed Date: 20 Nov 19 at 7:27pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Events for 2012...
Posted By: furtive
Subject: Events for 2012...
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 1:19pm
The ten events selected by the ISAF Council for the 2012 Olympic Sailing Competition are:

One person dinghy - Men
One person dinghy heavy - Men
Two person dinghy - Men
Two person dinghy high performance - Men
Windsurfer - Men
Keelboat - Men
One person dinghy - Women
Two person dinghy - Women
Keelboat match racing - Women
Windsurfer - Women

Replies:
Posted By: Jon Emmett
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 1:29pm
  Cry Completely gutted. No idea what I am going to do for the next five years...

-------------
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Your-Own-Tactics-Coach/dp/0470973218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312565831&sr=8-1 -

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 1:30pm
That should please the RYA as they were campaigning to out the Tornado

Posted By: kanga
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 1:32pm
not a multihull fan but they really should've kept it in there.

Posted By: andymck
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 1:33pm
So the star and finn stay. Well at least should be one medal in the bag with the depth of talent in GBR finn sailing, but really, what are they on!! Match racing can be good, but why just the girls, and why havent the girls not got a high performance boat as well, I hope someone from IOC will bring up the rather sexist division of events.

-------------
Andy Mck

Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 1:35pm
No strong feelings either way on the big T (something had to go), but a real shame to see Women's match racing getting in instead of Women's high performance (skiff).

Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by andymck

and why havent the girls not got a high performance boat as well,

Does "Two person dinghy - Women" mean they're stuck with the 470 or can the 29er (or whatever) become the "Two person dinghy"

Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 1:40pm
yes, there was the option to put in a high performance one. there will be little point in changing from 470 to similar now, but watch this space!

Posted By: Franco
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 1:40pm

Seems little point having an events comitee if their decision is not listened to at council.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 1:41pm

Originally posted by Norbert

Originally posted by andymck

and why havent the girls not got a high performance boat as well,

Does "Two person dinghy - Women" mean they're stuck with the 470 or can the 29er (or whatever) become the "Two person dinghy"

Actual classes don't get decided until November 08, but I can't see many changes happening in the 9 existing events.

Posted By: getafix
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 1:46pm
thank goodness that all women are all the same size, just imagine the pinch the ISAF would have been in if they weren't!!!!, likewise, its a good thing that only women participate in match racing or again......

-------------

Posted By: Chew my RS
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 2:00pm

The whole thing is a farce.

I guess that's the end of youth cat sailing.  Hope the RYA are happy.

-------------
http://www.sailns14.org - http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK

Posted By: Contender 541
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 2:03pm

Reading this and the article, I think the Yngling is out as well

Unless they do hold the match racing in the Yngling

-------------
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Posted By: Worthy
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 2:06pm
I wonder how the RYA reps voted.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Contender 541

Reading this and the article, I think the Yngling is out as well

Unless they do hold the match racing in the Yngling

What keelboat would you use?  The reason the Yngling was selected in the first place was because there was no alternative and, as I far I know, there still isn't.

-------------
http://www.sailns14.org - http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK

Posted By: ratface
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Chew my RS

I guess that's the end of youth cat sailing.

i wouldn't agree entirely there but for those who were/are campaigning a cat in youth sailing who are aiming for the Olympics most certainly will change into monohull sailing, i reckon

-------------
http://www.blym.org.uk/ - BLYM
http://www.blym.org.uk/hydrs/index.htm - Hertfordshire Sailing team
Uk-Cherub 2644
Laser 4000 -4089

Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 2:15pm
talk of match racing in sonars, but thats pretty hefty for 3 girls i'd thought.

Posted By: gordon
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 2:36pm
At least sailing is not to be reserved for the dwarves... thank goodness the ISAF saw sense and kept the 2 heavy weight classes.

Personally I would have preferred the removal of the 2 "air rowing" events and the introduction of men's match racing and a mixed team racing event. These would have provided lot's of good quality racing - for the national qualifiers then the qualification events for the Olympics. We should encourage those forms of sailing where you don't have to own a boat to compete.
Gordon

-------------
Gordon

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 2:37pm

What a farce ... I can't believe it can end like that after the output of the earlier meeting.

If I was on the equipment com. I'd wonder what the point was ...

-------------

Posted By: elmo
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 2:37pm
I am really disappointed there is no womens skiff. It seems unbalanced having match racing for women but not for men, its like they think that we can't handle it.  OK there aren't that many womens skiff helms around at the mometn but I am sure numbers would increase if we got a suitable boat, which probably wont appear now there is no olympic push. 

Posted By: lazy mavis
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 2:40pm
that really sucks

what a load of sh*t

-------------
whatever

Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 2:41pm
the thing about mens match racing is that, the america's cup, because of its prestige and long standing reputation will always outshine the olympic men's match racing, and the olympics is supposed to represent the highest accolade in those chosen sports (hence why tennis olympics seems so weird! and football!)

Posted By: Stuart O
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 3:01pm
One really has to ask is ISAF for or against sailing and why they are wasting so much money in Estoril and other places having committee meetings and then ignoring what those committees endorse?

Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 3:05pm
there was never going to be a solution to make everyone happy - you could blame the IOC for only allowing 10 events.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 3:50pm

And ultimately they are to blame.

However my point is that ISAF have these committees of experts, who put forward their recommendations after hours of debating, then totally disregard them.

The experts put forward 2 options so all that really the committee had to do was choose between the 2 options.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 4:44pm

A bit more detail (from the International Tornado Association):

The ISAF Council meeting began with a discussion of the recommended Events Committee slate which included Multihull Open (Event). However, it did not include a Keelboat event for either Men or Women.
Primarily because of this, the Events Committee slate of events narrowly missed receiving a majority: the vote was 16 In Favor, 19 Against, 1 Abstain

The Council then started over again, and voted for 6 Events for Men/Open & 4 Events for Women.
6 & 4 passed easily: the vote was 29 In Favor, 7 Against, 0 Abstain

The Council then voted on the Events that they wanted. Both Keelboats were voted in. The Multihull and one of the 2 person Womens dinghies were voted out.

Notes on the Council Discussion: Chris Atkins (GBR) was very strongly in favor of the Events Committee slate (which included a Multihull(Open) Event
Eric Tulla (PUR) was strongly in favor of the lasers, simple dinghies, and multihulls that are widely used by youth in his region.

Charlie Cook (USA) was strongly in favor of the Keelboats and a proponent of dropping the multihull.
John Cribbin (IRL) was strongly in favor of the Keelboats and strongly opposed to any 'Open' event.

Theresa Lara (VEN) strong support for Chris Atkins’ position
Spain, France, & Russia also supported multihulls. France and  Russia voted against the Events Committee slate because they wanted keelboats to be added.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 4:47pm
France voted against the multihull !?!?!?!

Now that surprises me!!!!

Posted By: gbr1579
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 5:16pm
shame no womans skiff, the men have one so why not the girls. also the multihul going out is silly, its one of the best to watch!!

Posted By: hurricane
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 5:17pm

RIP Olympic Tornado 1976 -2007 

Well at least the cat sailors still get to experience this feeling....

-------------
lifes to short to sail slow boats!

RIP Olympic Tornado 1976-2007

Posted By: Hector
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by furtive

The ten events selected by the ISAF Council for the 2012 Olympic Sailing Competition are:

One person dinghy - Men
One person dinghy heavy - Men
Two person dinghy - Men
Two person dinghy high performance - Men
Windsurfer - Men
Keelboat - Men
One person dinghy - Women
Two person dinghy - Women
Keelboat match racing - Women
Windsurfer - Women

The loss of the Cat / Tornado is a Disaster - plain and simple.

On the plus side, I'm no heavyweight but glad that at least one of those classes remains - not sure two are needed.

The Laser(s) and 49er are the best for those jobs - assuming of course they're chosen . Men and womens two person (470) - must be in - most closely represents what the masses do, technical and well supported.

Windsurfing - not everyones cup of tea, but undeniably athletic and should be represented.

Womans Match racing - What?? Who does that and where?  The kit will no doubt be expensive to buy, maintain and transport, and training against other top racers will be more vital than ever,. So how will small underfunded countries ever compete - they probably won't even take part! How will beginners break into the fleet? I'd be suprised if 4 years from now there are more than a dozen active womens match racing teams worldwide. And yes I know there aren't masses of womens Skiff teams either but at least there's a prospect of numbers developing - especially when you look at the pretty high numbers of girl only teams in the 29ers.

Ok match racing can be comparitively TV freindly but IMO as a spectacle it's still not a patch on a womens skiff event - at least at a windy venue like Weymouth (fingers crossed). Many match races are a mystery to non sailors with a flurry of pre start activity which is unintelligible to most, followed by what often turns into a procession. Very little 'crash and burn' stuff. And no offence to any possible contenders, (I'd say the same if it were male match racing) but they're less likely to be young fit athletic types and more likely to be older (experienced) sea/ sun worn types. How old was Connor when he won the AC back? No reason why an old gal couldn't winan olympic gold at Match racing - not likelly in a high performance skiff.  So what image of womens sailing do ISAF / the IOC want to project to the 'Youth of the World'? 

Posted By: Chas 505
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 6:08pm

Well bad luck to the tornado - it is a glorious boat.  I wonder if the class will recover due to its loss of olympic status?

I reckon that they have missed another trick here, though.

Joe Public thinks it's really odd that there are dozens of classes.  I mean would you care if there were 15 different badminton competitions?

-------------
Life is too short.
Work Hard; Play Hard; Sail a 505

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Chas 505

Joe Public thinks it's really odd that there are dozens of classes.  I mean would you care if there were 15 different badminton competitions?

There seem to be about 9 dozen nearly identical swimming events, and as often as not the same bloke/girl wins about half of them, not to mention similar athletic events, so I don't really see that Joe Public thinks its odd. Javelin, shot, discus, they're all just about big people with plenty of steroid jabs throwing things aren't they...

Posted By: Villan
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 7:04pm
Stupid decision.

Women Keelboat Team Racing .. Sounds REALLY exciting.

Joe public will need his rulebook out if he fancies watching the sailing now. How will they explain all the rules so that people can understand how X team managed to beat Y team without finishing first in the race?

Stick to the nice easy format of " Sail round this course a few times, first one to cross the line wins."

-------------
Vareo - 149 "Secrets"
http://www.TandyUKServers.co.uk" rel="nofollow - TandyUK Servers

Posted By: FreshScum
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Villan

Stupid decision.

Women Keelboat Team Racing .. Sounds REALLY exciting.

Joe public will need his rulebook out if he fancies watching the sailing now. How will they explain all the rules so that people can understand how X team managed to beat Y team without finishing first in the race?

Stick to the nice easy format of " Sail round this course a few times, first one to cross the line wins."

MATCH racing. Fairly simple to understand. 2 boats. A winner and a loser.

Posted By: Idris
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 7:55pm
The Tornado could be the 2 person dinghy couldn't it?

-------------
Still using the force!!!

Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 8:23pm
The IOC still need to ratify the choices don't they?  Can we not lobby the IOC to ignore the ISAFs decisions?

-------------

Posted By: tmoore
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 8:32pm

having never sailed a high perfomance cat ever, i think they look spectacular and great fun. loads of spray and they look high tech. even the average person will be able to see this and will be impressed. this should increase the numbers of new sailors hopefully. 

how can it be a fair representation of the sport if a discipline is not included. its like having an olympics without the 100m sprint.

what exactly is the problem with having 11 disciplines?

tom

-------------
Landlocked in Africa
RS300 - 410
Firefly F517 - Nutshell
Micro Magic RC yacht - Eclipse

Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 8:58pm
Ah yes, Sorry Scum.

Surley we have to put up with enough of that rubbish with the ACC .. Why impose it onto the Olympics?

Seems a stupid thing to do to have to hold hundreds of smaller races to get each country to have raced eachother doesnt it? Fewwer starts and everything settled on time vs probably about 100 starts JUST for the Match Racing over the course of the Olympics?

Trying to keep it nice and simple I see.

-------------
Vareo - 149 "Secrets"

Posted By: Lukepiewalker
Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 9:09pm
Based on how they used to do it in the Solings, fleet racing to decided who goes forward into the match racing part of the event.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 10:26pm
Aha.

Any idea what classes they will be using? Still one of the oldschool classes? ( Star / Yngling ) or will they be holding " Match Racing Keelboat" trials next?

-------------
Vareo - 149 "Secrets"

Posted By: Hector
Date Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 11:55am

Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by Chas 505

There seem to be about 9 dozen nearly identical swimming events, and as often as not the same bloke/girl wins about half of them, not to mention similar athletic events, so I don't really see that Joe Public thinks its odd. Javelin, shot, discus, they're all just about big people with plenty of steroid jabs throwing things aren't they...

Actually, virtually every possible combination of Badminton gets a medal - from Wikpedia:

The Olympics has 5 Badminton events:  singles and doubles events for both men and women with the addition of mixed doubles since 1996.

Jims point is spot on - Swimming in particular spawns large numbers of events that are so similar they can often be won by the same group of competitors.

Athletics isn't that much better with competitors often 'doubling up' for the 100 /200m the 800 / 1500m, the 5 / 10k.

Of course these are all easy to understand and televise - which is in my opinion the real reason sailing is being squeezed.

Posted By: tickler
Date Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 12:37pm
I find all this very odd. On the whole most.but not all, female sailors seem to crew with men helming. So why no mixed teams? Also not including female skiff sailing seems strange, what are all those "hot" girl 29er teams supposed to do now? Go into 470's I suppose. I am sure there is nothing wrong with the 470 but modern it is not. No one asks runners to don 30 year old plimpsoles for their races or pole vaulters to use scafold poles. No cats !, well what can I say. They seem to have gone out of thier way to offend everyone.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 12:43pm

Haven't watched the olympics for years. The whole ethos of the games has been lost, with smaller countries either not getting a look in or going bankrupt trying to host. How much revenue is generated by countries after the biulding costs have been calculated?? It seems that sport has taken a back seat for the Bureaucrats and money men on the olympic committee (an old and cliched argument) 

How much coverage of the sailing events will there be anyway??? The public see sailing as a mysterious black art shrouded in obscure rules and practices with ancient terminology. Hardly accessible is it ?? Time for some navel gazing (ISAF and RYA)

Having said that, Sailing could be televised in a more interesting manner, focus on personalities, computer animations explaining the rules, interesting camera angles, excitable commentators. If they can make F1 interesting to watch then sailing should be a doddle. 

Date Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 12:49pm
Petition to the IOC

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/multihullinolympics/index.html - http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/multihullinolympics/index .html

Posted By: ASok
Date Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 1:23pm
Unbelievable!   Shocking decision.  This does not represent all corners of sailing. 

-------------

Posted By: E.J.
Date Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 2:26pm

It seems that by trying to simplify the events to appeal to the non sailing viewer these decisions have actually made it harder to understand, now men and women sail in completely contrasting events.

Its going to be murder trying to explain why only men sail the 49er and only women sail match races, when I don't get it myself!

The loss of the Multihull baffles. If expense was the reason (the only one I can think of) then why not just choose a cheaper class. It is an especially poor decision when the star remains.

Cats represent the olympic vision much better than keelboats. fitness, skill, and excitment should be the key, the Olympics are elitist and and only top atheletes should be there. Sailing should want to present itself as exciting and accessable to the wider audience. Keelboat are neither. 

-------------
Reach For The Pies.

Posted By: RedOnesGoFaster
Date Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 3:45pm
I just don't understand what happened.  A few days ago it seemed to be a single hander, a double hander and a skiff for men and women, plus a heavy man boat (ie finn) and an open cat (the only worthwhile class to have as open).  This seemed pretty logical and now we have this pile of sh*te. 

Why did they ignore the advisers?

Posted By: olly_love
Date Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 5:34pm
has anyone seen the olympics televised in the uk anyways. am not sure how much it is in any country

-------------
TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

Posted By: DiscoBall
Date Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 6:10pm
they stuck the live stuff on BBCi the random digital channel - seems to be where they put the sports they don't want getting in the way of us losing at the athletics and swimming (snore...)

Date Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 6:18pm
Interesting quote from Ian Walker...

Magnus,

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. 24 hours ago I thought the ISAF Events Committee had sobered up from their night on the tiles by deciding to axe the 2 keelboat classes - at last they have seen some sense. Get rid of the 2 most expensive boats to campaign that hardly anybody sails - obvious! They have now perfected a U turn faster than any modern political party. If ISAF cannot see that high performance dinghies are the way of the future and that the obvious way to increase female participation in the Olympics (and the sport) was the women’s high performance dinghy then there is little hope. How can you possibly justify ruling out a women’s high performance dinghy in favour of women’s match racing? How many countries have a women’s match racer? Is this the future of our sport? Compared to high performance sailing, match racing is dull and the technicalities are understood by few - there is no obvious feeder (except maybe university team racing) and the bigger countries will simply 'out coach' the smaller nations to victory. If match racing is so good why has it already been kicked out of the Olympics for the men? If it is so good then surely have it for men and women! I suspect it is simply a convenient way of getting the number of female competitors up with only 1 medal allocated. The saddest thing in all this is that Weymouth is a fantastic venue for high performance sailing and there will be lots of female 29er youth sailors who will not be able to move up to the Olympic classes. I wonder how many young sailors were asked for their opinions by ISAF? Whilst nobody will shed a tear for the Yngling which should clearly have never been an Olympic Class, what about the Tornados? Surely it offers more of a spectacle than Finn sailing? Surely it is more appealing than Star sailing?  I have sailed Stars in the Olympics and even I think they should not be in the Games. As you rightly point out there is light at the end of the tunnel as ISAF Council will probably make another U turn and change this decision when they next meet, which kind of begs the question why have the committees in the first place. I'm with you – let’s bin the committees and have a dictatorship. The question is 'who would make the best dictator?'

Keep up the good work and watch your back!

Ian

Date Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 7:17pm
And another from Ian Walker's blog:

Quote:

Blimey, this is a fast moving story....Okay so now it's the Triceratornadotops that's getting the chop from the Olympics and the Dinostar and Finnasaurus are staying in the Games for 2012...it seems like whenever the music stops there's a different outcome with these ridiculous ISAF committee meetings. Worth noting too that this round of pointless discussions could all come to nought when the ISAF Council or "Long-Lunch Brigade" as they're fondly known, meet up over brandies in a month's time - they have a long history of overturning the committee decisions so in all honesty, no-one has a clue what the boats are going to be in 2012...

Posted By: Scooby_simon
Date Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 8:36pm

I found this elsewhere; make of it what you will.....

-------------
F16 GBR 553 - Hungry Monster - For sale
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
I also talk sport http://www.letshaveachat.com - here

Posted By: giraffe
Date Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 9:09pm
it was a tight decision.  these things happen.  get over it or get involved in the process!  Getting involved in the process means being involved in the decision making process not campaigning to get the odd decision that you dislike overturned.  I probably would favour a multihull over a keelboat and fleet racing over match racing.  Sadly these decisions are taken by elected committees.  Those involved compromise with each other and what you end up with is a compromise solution.  Often compromises are not good.  I actually see compelling reasons to axe the keelboats and go with 8 classes encouraging larger fleets in the other classes and the opportunity for certain nations (based on world ranking) to have more than one competitor.  Another can of worms....

Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE
Date Posted: 12 Nov 07 at 10:29am

Darren Bundock

Olympic Silver Medallist and multiple World Champion in the Tornado and F18, Darren Bundock, response to ISAF’s decision last Friday. This is what he had to say as posted on SailJuice Blog ( http://www.sailjuiceblog.com - www.sailjuiceblog.com )
Hi Andy,

What can I say? I am shocked, disappointed and totally confused. I have lost all faith in the ISAF and especially the council decision-making process. Sailing has taken a massive backwards step not only eliminating the multihull but not implementing the women’s high performance skiff or the women’s multihull. Just keeping the doublehanded dinghy and not moving with the times.

Our sport had the chance to take a massive jump in London 2012 (finally an Olympics possibly with wind) but our sport has been destroyed by a council made up of inactive un-youthful ex-sailors living in the past.

The multihull has been discriminated against, it was the easy option. Despite multihulls making up for 25% of the sailing fraternity we have very little representation on the ISAF council. They are all elderly keelboat sailors. I’m surprised the multihull got so close to defeating the keelboats. I am at fault in not believing ISAF would discriminate against a whole diverse discipline in the Olympics.

The lobbying, pub parties and deals that go on in the corridors before the ISAF Council meeting - under my definition - spells corruption. How can they throw out the Events committee recommendations? After all, they are ISAF’s experts that are in touch with the sailing communities.

What positive thing has the ISAF achieved in recent years? I’m struggling to think of any.

ISAF have agreed to have the sailing for the 2008 Olympics in Qingdao - a place known for no wind. How can this happen? How can we make the sport attractive and TV-friendly in a place that has an average of 3 to 4 knots at that time of the year. It’s like having the Winter Olympics in the Caribbean with no snow.

ISAF have failed to put together a World Sailing Series. How easy would that have been even if they just used the current Grade 1 events? Tornado & 49er started it with the introduction of the Volvo Champions Race, attracting 10,000 spectators throughout the weekend.

They continue to have Grade 1 events in sh*tty locations like Medemblik, Kiel and Hyeres. The weather conditions in these locations at the time of the year are appalling. Why would anyone want to go to Medemblik and sail in the grey overcast conditions, continually raining and freezing?

We still have a World ranking system that does not reflect reality. I say this even though I am at the top of the World rankings at the moment. But there was a period when I won the World and European Championships but was still ranked 14th! Plus Olivier Backes (FRA) had retired for 18 months before he was out of the top 10!

They have failed to create and undermined a youth multihull development program. There are so many youth multihull development boats available but in the youth trials, ISAF would not allow boats with centreboards. Even an Optimist has a centreboard!. It’s not rocket science that when it’s shallow it needs to come up. Even kids can come to terms with that.

Meanwhile, life is good if you are a 70kg monohull sailor..Do you sail:

1. Laser
2. 470, or
3. 49er?

If you’re a woman high performance sailor like Carolijn Brouwer, you have zero options as you can’t even revert back to 49er, as it’s men only. Yngling or 470 would just be to painful to go back to.

Even one high-performance woman’s class would be beneficial, whether it be a skiff or there are many cat classes suitable like the Viper - a 16 foot high-performance catamaran, wing mast, spinnaker and double trapeze. ( http://www.ahpc.com.au/m_viper1.htm - www.ahpc.com.au/m_viper1.htm ).

Women’s multihull did not stand a chance as ISAF have no idea how many woman are active in the multihull world, with 100 alone competing in a one-day event each year in Texel.

Imagine how good the sport would have been covered if we had:

Men & Women Singlehander,
M&W Doublehander (preferably high performance),
M&W Sailboard,
M&W Multihull,
M&W keelboat.
How simple, all aspects covered.

So how do we save sailing before ISAF undermine the sport completely?

Multihulls need to break away from ISAF. After all, they have shown they only have monohull interests in mind. We need the International Multihull Sailing Federation. How long will the multihull stay in the Youth Worlds? It has already struggled to stay.

We need to endorse the concepts of people like Roland Gäbler (three-time Tornado World Champion and Bronze medal winner) and activate the “Sailing Revolution Teams” and activate the “The Sailing Dream Tour”. A Multihull Grand Prix series with paid TV coverage, corporate entertainment and spectator focus in ideal locations and offer the Formula 1 of sailing to the world. We don’t need ISAF.

Multihull can then apply to IOC for a separate spot in the Games, just like canoeing did to rowing.

The multihull is not dead, it’s just been set free! We have the ultimate boat!

Regards,

Darren Bundock

-------------

http://www.formula18alive.com - www.formula18alive.com

Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE
Date Posted: 12 Nov 07 at 12:47pm

This is an outrageous decision that has disgusted myself and many Multihull sailors around the World.   Think of all the young multihull sailors who aspire to represent their country at a Games.   They now must turn to monohulls or sailboards to fulfil their dreams.........  Or even another sport all together.  Ridiculous decision that cut out a very large portion of the sailing fraternity with one foolish decision.

Is it really beneficial to our sport to ignore a large group of sailors in favour of adding more of the same style disciplines in the Games?

1 man dinghy

1 woman dinghy

2 man dinghy

2 woman dinghy

Mens  keelboat

Womens Keelboat

Mens Sailboard

Womens Sailboard

Mens Multihull

Womens Multihull

These are the disciplines we should have and should not be open to voting upon.  Once set, then the equipment should be voted upon by only those who represent the SAILORS best interests.   Only other option would be to not split the dinghy disciplines into 1 up and 2 up but have a mens dinghy and womens dinghy to replace the 4 x dinghy disciplines.

-------------

http://www.formula18alive.com - www.formula18alive.com

Date Posted: 12 Nov 07 at 2:21pm
get over it boys, this is like running up to the referee after the game is over and complaining about the penalty you didn't get..... go with the suggestion of a seperate governing body for multihull sailing and concentrate on growing your sport outside the olympics....

...in the long run, it could be very beneficial to not have multihull sailing at the Olympics, we all know that Qingdao is going to be slightly less interesting than the swimming (or shooting) so that could lead to even more of a clammer to reduce the events, even by 2012!

... unless the events in 2012 go big we may be looking at the last Olympics where sailing is part of the summer games anyway... the "trend" within the IOC is definitely towards "media friendly" sports and ours, no matter how you dress it up, is not "media friendly"

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 07 at 2:28pm
Clearly democracy works, there we have at least 5 women voting on what men should be sailing, even an offshore rep who thinks he knows a catamaran has no place in the Olympics.

Thank god Jacques Rogge is a sailor who, despite sailing a Finn, is a pretty good egg and will surely see sense and turn this decision around.

mailto:jacques.rogge@ioc.olympic.org - jacques.rogge@ioc.olympic.org

Date Posted: 12 Nov 07 at 3:57pm
It seems which the only meeting which really matters is the ISAF council meeting. Meaning many other meetings are waste of time and money.

-------------
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Your-Own-Tactics-Coach/dp/0470973218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312565831&sr=8-1 -

Date Posted: 12 Nov 07 at 6:47pm
Note from UKCRA

<h1><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;">ISAF Decision on Olympic
Classes - Voting Analysis<o:p></o:p></span></h1>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><o:p> </o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-family: Arial;">The decision to remove the
Olympic Multihull Event can now be attributed to political manoeuvring by the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> . <o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-family: Arial;">After the Events Committee
had voted to approve a slate of Events with 6 Men/Open and 4 Women Events, the
ISAF Council overturned that decision and started a new voting process because
Keelboat fans objected to their two Events being thrown out by the Events
Committee. Reportedly the lobbying was led by Charles Cook (US) at a closed
meeting of Council, where the previously agreed voting procedure was changed.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Delegates may have thought
that the Council process was secret, but the full voting scores, which revealed
the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region>
position, were published at the end of the Conference. RYA Chief Executive, Rod
Carr has confirmed with ISAF that they are correct. <o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="MsoText"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">The table below shows
whether each representative voted for Multihulls or Keelboats, and in the few
cases where they voted for both, whichever other Event they voted to drop.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial;"><o:p> </o:p></span>

<table ="MsonormalTable" style="width: 342pt; margin-left: 4.65pt; border-collapse: collapse;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="456">
<t><tr style="height: 11.25pt;">
<td style="padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 48pt; height: 11.25pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="64">
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Name<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<td style="padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 48pt; height: 11.25pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="64">
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;"><o:p> </o:p></span>

</td>
<td style="padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 80pt; height: 11.25pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="107">
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Nationality
/ Group<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Keelboat<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Multihull<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<td style="padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 70pt; height: 11.25pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="93">
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Other
Rejection<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
</tr>
<tr style="height: 11.25pt;">
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;"><o:p> </o:p></span>

</td>

</td>
<td style="padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 80pt; height: 11.25pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="107">

</td>
<p ="Msonormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;"><o:p> </o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;"><o:p> </o:p></span>

</td>
<td style="padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 70pt; height: 11.25pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="93">

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Kelly<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Maximo<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">ARG<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">1<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">1<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Heavy<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
</tr>
<tr style="height: 12.75pt;">
<td style="padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 48pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="64">
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Tillett<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<td style="padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 48pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="64">
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">David<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<td style="padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 80pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="107">
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">AUS<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">0<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>
<td style="padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 70pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="93">

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Kellett<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">David<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<td style="padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 80pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="107">
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">AUS (Vice
Pres.)<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">0<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>
<td style="padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 70pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="93">

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Jakobowitz<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Helmut<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">AUT<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Adler<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Harry<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">BRA<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Fillyov<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Kamen<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">BUL<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Sprague<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">CAN<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Kidd<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Fiona<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">CAN
(Women)<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Two Person<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Moon<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Jane<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">CAY<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Changcheng<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Zhou<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">CHN<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Andersen<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Kim<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">DEN<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Zabelli<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Theresa<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">ESP<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Champion<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Jean-Pierre<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">FRA<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Two Person<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Atkins<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Chris<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">GBR<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Barron<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Fiona<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">GBR (Vice

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Tolhurst<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Philip<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">GBR
(Offshore)<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Bahr<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Rolf<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">GER<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Heavy<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Andreadis<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">George<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">GRE (Vice

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Balram<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Ajay<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">IND</span></st1:place></st1:State& gt;<span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;"><o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">High
Perform<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Crebbin<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">John<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">IRL<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Gaibisso<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Sergio<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">ITA<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Shibanuma<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Katsumi<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">JPN<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Van der
Aat<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Henri<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">NED<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Butterfield<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Joe<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">NZL<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Holc<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Tomasz<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">POL<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Tulla<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Eric<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">PUR<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">High
Perform<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Robson<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Ross<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">RSA<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Windsurf<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Kotenkov<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Alexander<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">RUS<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Low<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Tao Ping<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">SIN (Vice

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Hildebrand<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Carin<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">SWE<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Imre<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Nazil<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">TUR<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Harmsworth<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Barrie</span></st1:place></st1:Cit y><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;"><o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">UAE<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Serti<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Cory<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">USA</span></st1:place></st1:countr y-region><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;"><o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Cook<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Charles<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">USA</span></st1:place></st1:countr y-region><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;"><o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Irish<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">USA</span></st1:place></st1:countr y-region><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;"> (Vice Pres.)<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Lara<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Teresa<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">VEN (Vice

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">Total<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">23<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>
<p ="Msonormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center"><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-family: Arial;">21<o:p></o:p></span>

</td>

</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial;"><o:p> </o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Each delegate had to vote
against one of the seven options. There was widespread agreement on 1 Person
Dinghy, 1 Person Dinghy (Heavy), 2 Person Dinghy, 2 Person Dinghy (High Performance)
and Windsurfer, all of which achieved at least 33 out of the maximum of 36
votes. That left a shoot-out for last place between Keelboats (Men) and
Multihull (Open)<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-family: Arial;">The biggest sailing nations
have multiple representatives. These are all Anglo-Saxon, specifically <st1:country-region w:st="on">Australia</st1:country-region> =2, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region>
= 2, <st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region> = 3, <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> =3. These
additional representatives are technically independent or there to represent
specific Committees, but in practice usually form a block vote.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Thus these four countries
can swing a close decision, such as this. Australians voted for Multihulls and
against Keelboats. Canadians voted for Keelboats and were split on Multihulls,
because one represented Women, and Multihulls were the only Open class. The
British voted two to one against Multihulls – the national representative
voting for Multihulls, the Vice President voting against, as also could the
Offshore Representative, even though this issue is inshore racing.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Thus the decisive influence
was wielded by the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> .
Months before the Conference US Sailing had put in a Submission excluding any
Multihull Event, but after that was legally challenged by US cat sailors, it
entered a revised Submission including both Men and Women Events in Multihulls
and Keelboats. <o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-family: Arial;">However, when the issue was
escalated to ISAF Council, three different <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> representatives all voted
against Multihulls and in favour of Heavyweight Single-Handed Dinghy, even
though it was not on their Submission. Hal Haenel, the US Events representative,
was not among the three Council members, who were Charles Cook, Cornelia Serti
and David Irish, Vice President. NB Ms. Serti voted against an Event that was
Open to women.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Had the US representatives
voted against the Heavy Single-Hander and in favour of both Keelboats and
Multihulls according to their Submission, the votes would have been Keelboat =
23 and Multihull = 24, so Keelboats would have lost out at Council, as they did
at the Events Committee. <o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-family: Arial;">US sailors wanting to ask their
representatives for an explanation should contact them.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style=""> </span><o:p></o:p></span&g t;

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="">  </span><o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style=""> </span><o:p></o:p></span&g t;

Posted By: laser4000
Date Posted: 12 Nov 07 at 7:14pm
I'm still staggered by how this unfolded.. surely to make the sport interesting, imaginative to the kids on the dock and televisual you want 'max crash and burn'..anyone remember the ultra 30 footage on the telly which was good with only 6 boats.

Personally I'd have liked to see: -

M&W Laser (Radial)
M&W Skiff (49erx / 29erxx or RS800 or tba)
M&W Windsurf

Right that then leave us with 4 places...howabout bladeriders and tornados as open classes. then we have 2 classes left - if we have to have leadmines then sb3 open which leaves us with one other class for whatever..

Hence some high 'fun' classes, lots of female participation and no really dull races.. well unless it's 3 knots in weymouth again...

Posted By: RedOnesGoFaster
Date Posted: 12 Nov 07 at 7:44pm
I completely agree that the multihull should not have been dropped in favour of a keel boat but I am annoyed more that the womens skiff has not been brought in.  Where are all teh petitions for that! 

I had never realised that the voting was so dominated by a few big countries - there are countries focussed enough on sailing to have gold medal winners in the last few games that have no representatives!  How can GBR have 3 reps when NOR, FIN have none?

Posted By: bigcat
Date Posted: 12 Nov 07 at 8:58pm

The RYA does not have three reps on Council it has one - Chris Atkins.

Fiona Barron is an ISAF vice president she is selected by ISAF. The GBR  after her name designates where she lives. She is independent and is required to be so by ISAF.

Philip Tolhurst is in the same position constitutionally, though as chairman of the ISAF Offshore Committee he probably felt bound to vote in support of the Olympic Keelboat discipline.

Posted By: winging it
Date Posted: 12 Nov 07 at 9:15pm

Clearly democracy works, there we have at least 5 women voting on what men should be sailing, even an offshore rep who thinks he knows a catamaran has no place in the Olympics.

Thank god Jacques Rogge is a sailor who, despite sailing a Finn, is a pretty good egg and will surely see sense and turn this decision around.

mailto:jacques.rogge@ioc.olympic.org - jacques.rogge@ioc.olympic.org

and how many men voting on what women should sail?  No wonder there is no female performance skiff....

Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 8:42am
i think although it seems very unfair, someone was boud to lose out - it seems that having two mens single handers and nothing for the multi hull sailors is very imbalanced and ridiculous, but there was never going to be a solution to make everyone happy. What most people have to do when choosing to go olympic sailing is to look at the boats, choose one that suits their physique or potential physique, and learn how to sail it. Thats what all the single handed women have to do, who are too small to sail a radial. They have to learn how to helm a 470 or something instead, or a yngling etc. It doesnt mean dreams are shattered, it is sad, but it just means that to get where you want to be, you need to find a new route. saying that, i would not be happy if my class were scrapped but that is what i would do too.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 9:28am
Originally posted by kanga

i think although it seems very unfair, someone was boud to lose out - it seems that having two mens single handers and nothing for the multi hull sailors is very imbalanced and ridiculous, but there was never going to be a solution to make everyone happy. What most people have to do when choosing to go olympic sailing is to look at the boats, choose one that suits their physique or potential physique, and learn how to sail it. Thats what all the single handed women have to do, who are too small to sail a radial. They have to learn how to helm a 470 or something instead, or a yngling etc. It doesnt mean dreams are shattered, it is sad, but it just means that to get where you want to be, you need to find a new route. saying that, i would not be happy if my class were scrapped but that is what i would do too.

No the simple solution was to dumpt the 470 M&W which gives you one slot dumped and one slot for womens skiff. If you look round the vast majority of the UK dinghy parks I think you'll find a greater percentage of boats actively raced with asymetrics rather than symetrics...

Ok we're probably ahead of the game compared to some parts of the world...but aussies have had 18 footers with bowsprits for a while, and it's not like they're new in the US either...

Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 9:39am

surely the Uk dinghy parks are not a true reflection on the rest of the planet though???!!!!!  Symmetric and asymmetric spinnakers are a totally different skill - some would argue that symmetric are more challenging, I remain undecided. I agree that yes, they could've removed the open double hander and that would be a good move but the point I was making is that whatever the classes, there is always something for someone, and if you want a ring of gold that much, you'll learn a new trade.

As for 18footers, yes, excellent boats, a great circuit, but how would the poorer nations be able to afford to campaign those!? So the star is expensive too, which is why it attracts the sailing legends - they can get as much sponsorship and backing as they need to campaign one, an 18 footer would be totally fundable by the likes of the Ozzies and the Brits etc but what about the eastern europeans where sailing budgets are much less or those countries where it would be impractical to sail them? Its more than just about british sailing.

Posted By: lofty
Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 11:48am

As an american, I'm deeply ashamed of the role our representatives had in the ISAF vote.

Can we agree that the Olympics should be the pinnacle of our sport and an athletic endeavor of the highest order? The women's high performance dinghy would have filled that role. There is a crop of young female sailors emerging that are showing they have the abilities needed to sail these boats competitively and it is tragic that their ultimate goal has been yanked away.

As for the multi-hull, it should absolutely be represented at the Olympics. 

Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 1:48pm

FWIW my feeling is that there should be 3 sectors to olympic sailing...

Women, Light Men & Heavy Men

Each sector should have a single hander and a two hander so...

Women: Laser Radial + 29er
L Men: Laser + 49er
H Men: Finn + Star (Yes really)

Add Open: Catamaran (in reality Light Men but Caroline Brouwer would do well)

There you would have it, a broad range of disciplines, televisual appeal from the 29er, 49er and the Tornado.

Posted By: Pierre
Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 2:25pm

Good effort Norbert.  That's a good solution imho

Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 2:36pm

but why would the men get two seperate weight categories and not the women? i think you need 5 categories:

multihull

keelboat

single handed

double handed

windsurfer

and then you choose boats to go in these categories for women and for men, and the fleet/match decision too. This covers all bases. If you're not the right physique for one, you choose another.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 2:44pm
Norbert,

I agree that the choice of events becomes much simpler once you remove "air rowing" from the sailing events. If we have to have this discipline at the Olympics it should be seperate from the sailing - and preferably slalom rather than fleet racing. Swimming, for instance, has 3 sports - Swimming, diving and water polo.

It is essential for the future of the sport that there continue to be  so-called heavyweight classes. Once you have decided that then the Finn and the Star are the only realistic propositions.

I also believe that the way to go for TV is to have Men's and Women's Match Racing and a mixed Team Racing event. That way each nation has a series of teligenic qualifiers, and then international qualifiers to decide who gets to the Final. Each Final  could be run over 3 days - intense attractive racing easy to understand.

Gordon

-------------
Gordon

Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by gordon

I also believe that the way to go for TV is to have Men's and Women's Match Racing and a mixed Team Racing event. That way each nation has a series of teligenic qualifiers, and then international qualifiers to decide who gets to the Final. Each Final  could be run over 3 days - intense attractive racing easy to understand.

It has always sort've irked me that a swimmer, or sprinter, can win more than one medal at a single games. Mark Spitz won 7 gold medals at one games back in the 70s but it took Steve Redgrave 5 games to win a paltry 5 gold medals.

The IOC are keen to keep the number of competitors down so why not select your country's team racing team from the competitors already there. So you've already won a gold in the 49er, now you can have a second go by being part of a team in a firefly. Would definitely make you into a more rounded competitor .

Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 3:44pm
i guess the problem with that is simply time restrictions. if the weather doesn't play ball you end up not being able to do some of the events.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 6:31pm

It is essential for the future of the sport that there continue to be  so-called heavyweight classes.

What on earth for? Many of the asian nations have enough trouble finding sailors who are heavy enough for the Laser.

Posted By: Andrewst
Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 6:43pm

It is essential for the future of the sport that there continue to be  so-called heavyweight classes.

What on earth for? Many of the asian nations have enough trouble finding sailors who are heavy enough for the Laser.

In this case why are not all classes mixed!

Just have a range of boats for different weight catagories.

This may not be popular but could increase turnout from nations that currently struggle to find heavy enough sailors

Posted By: ColH
Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 6:50pm

It has always sort've irked me that a swimmer, or sprinter, can win more than one medal at a single games. Mark Spitz won 7 gold medals at one games back in the 70s but it took Steve Redgrave 5 games to win a paltry 5 gold medals.

I know which I think is the greater achievement....

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 6:51pm
The heavy weight classes are essential if sailing is not to become a sport for only a limited range of athletes. Horse racing jockeys, gymnasts and basket ball players are all chosen, in their own way, from a limited range of sizes.

Athletes in sailing are grouped according to weight, choosing the appropriate class in which to sail. The result is that if your are configured for one weight range it is next to impossible to change. Sports such as boxing, judo, wrestling and weightlifting would be ridiculous if there were no category for heavy weights. Rowing has 2 weight categories for men.

If there were no heavyweight classes then a significant proportion of athletes would be excluded. Personally I would like us to experiment with more narrower weight bands and open classes. Thus the lightweight Asians (who have little trouble selecting the odd Sumo wrestler and heavyweight judoka) could sail with the European women in a lightweight classs, whilst the forwards from the Womens Rugby World Cup could sail a light-heavyweight class.

Gordon

-------------
Gordon

Posted By: elmo
Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 7:12pm
You don't think that the asain men would feel a bit patronised and that the women would complain that a male physique gives them a better strength to weight ratio?

Sounds like a disaster to me.

Posted By: GarethT
Date Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 7:30pm

So the way to make the games inclusive is to exclude anyone over 12.5 stone?

This whole 'debate' at the moment really just seems to be people justifying why their favourite boats should be included, at the expense of boats they don't like.

Until someone (IOC & ISAF) defines exactly what the olympic regatta is 'for', there will never be any consensus on what events and classes there should be, as there are simply not enough slots to accomodate our diverse sport.

Personally, I think they should've ditched the men's Laser, re-classified the Finn as the men's singlehander and kept the Tornado. Laser sailors could either bulk up (we know that can be done) or sail one of the plethora of other midget's boats in the olympics.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 8:19am

Realpolitik Jim, however unpalatable not all men are born equal. Sailing is a western sport.

Posted By: Scooby_simon
Date Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 9:27am

How about this solution to the weight issue and the "media spectacular issue":

1, Skiff like boat - Open, all up crew weight below 130kg (something like a 29er / 39er ?? / GT60 ? )

2, Skiff like boat - Open, all up crew weight > 130 (49er type)

3, 2 up Catamaran, Open - Tornado ?

4, Single hander men

5, Single hander ladies

6, Keelboat - open, crew weight set at max ?, but to encourge a spread of crew weights, a Righting moment rule, so you might have 4 light crew, or 3 heavy, or even 3 light all on the wire ! Make it fairly open, maybe a small version of the "open 30's that had umpteen on the wire".  Now I understand that this may end up gravitating to a certain "fast" setup, but it's gotta be worth a try ?

7, Wind surfer men

8, Wind surfer ladies

9, Single handed Catamaran; Maybe a "more controlled A class", current helm weights at the A class worlds (on now) are not shown, but I know there is a fairly wide spread; perhaps a one design platform, but allow the rig to be devloped to allow different weights to compete.

-------------
F16 GBR 553 - Hungry Monster - For sale
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
I also talk sport http://www.letshaveachat.com - here

Date Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 9:52am

i think that open classes are too complicated and the general trend (obviously there are exceptions), is that unless you enforce one man and one woman per team, the two men will beat the mixed/all women teams. i dont think you need a single handed catamaran - they are not as widely sailed or as modern these days.

keelboats need to be standardized, 4 small people will always be better than 3 heavier ones as you can utilize weight more efficiently, and there are way more hands/eyes/brains on the boat, but the IOC need to keep the number of athletes down too....

people could argue to include all forms of sailing, keep them all open and have these ten:

single hander

double hander hiking

double hander trapezing

single hander trapezing

single handed foiling

catamaran

keelboat match

keelboat fleet

model yacht racing

offshore

but that really would be impractical!! imagine that though, lol!

Date Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 10:03am

i dont think you need a single handed catamaran - they are not as widely sailed or as modern these days.

Not widely sailed - OK

Not as modern???  The A class is, in certain areas, at the cutting edge of cat technology and are leading the field, particularly in hull shape.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Worthy

i dont think you need a single handed catamaran - they are not as widely sailed or as modern these days.

Not widely sailed - OK

Not as modern???  The A class is, in certain areas, at the cutting edge of cat technology and are leading the field, particularly in hull shape.

I was going to pick up on the same thing.  At the worlds currently on, there are 100 boats (no Brits) and the gear includes solid wing sails, curved travellers, wave piercing hulls and on-the-fly adjustable diamonds.  Whilst I'm not sure they should be in the Olympics, they are definitley modern.

I'm beginning to come round to idea of only having one Olympic class - the MPS.  It takes a broad weight range (Kit to Sten), is fast, televisual, demanding, skillful, has a kite and a trapeze, is good looking and popular.  I reckon if you can win in one of these you've got to have pretty good all round sailing skills and would probably be good in any boat.  And if you concentrate the Olympic talent in one class, you get a very worthy, undisputed, champion.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 10:47am
ok fair enough thats a good point, being single minded again! must stop that!  (punches self in the face!)

Date Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 11:44am
yawn.... is this going to go on much longer???? you can suggest as many classes/events and whatever as you like, unless you posters all happen to be the head of the ISAF it's basically irrelevant at this point!

... Cat sailors of the world unite! cheer! celebrate! you are no longer at the whim of these beaurocrats and can start your own I-Cat-S-A-F and hold events on your own terms, award medals in classes you want to sail, not you are forced to sail, incorporate as much technology as you want (or not) and organise your own courses, rules etc...

If you must try and appeal to the TV companies of the world (still can't work out this obsession), incorporate events in Extreme 40's alongside 18-20ft cat sailing and perhaps a hydo-foil cat event, throw it open to mixed teams and enjoy.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 11:48am
hehe well said getafix, yes its all sad at the end of the day for some and not others, but its done, cant change it, life moves on!

Date Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 12:57pm

Actually you can......read below.

Below a statement from Sail NZ daily e-newsletter which I receive each morning.

On the ISAF front, criticism of the chosen event card for 2012 Olympics seems to be near universal. The process for reversal/change is reasonably simple. All that is required is that a National Authority puts forward a submission advocating that a change be made and get support from other National Authorities for that move.

While that might not suit those who like bureaucracy and order, the unfortunate reality of life, is that we live in a democratic society. Bad decisions can be undone – provided they have majority support. And with the close voting of last week, it only takes a couple to jump the fence (or not abstain from voting) and the deal is done!

Posted By: Skiffman
Date Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 1:54pm

Do we all write letters to the RYA then?

just for a laugh http://www.monohullandfatoldmensailing.org/ - http://www.monohullandfatoldmensailing.org/

-------------
49er GBR5

http://www.teamfletcherandsign.co.uk - teamfletcherandsign.co.uk
Team Fletcher and Sign campaign site

Posted By: hurricane
Date Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 1:57pm
How the hell does that work did someone buy the site and link it to the ISAF site if so thats genius......

-------------
lifes to short to sail slow boats!

RIP Olympic Tornado 1976-2007

Date Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Skiffman

just for a laugh http://www.monohullandfatoldmensailing.org/ - http://www.monohullandfatoldmensailing.org/

Date Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 6:15pm

The heavy weight classes are essential if sailing is not to become a sport for only a limited range of athletes. Horse racing jockeys, gymnasts and basket ball players are all chosen, in their own way, from a limited range of sizes.

Athletes in sailing are grouped according to weight, choosing the appropriate class in which to sail. The result is that if your are configured for one weight range it is next to impossible to change.

Not strictly true - you just need to be more imaginative with boat selelection. The laser4000 is a class where a 100kg helm, an 80kg helm and 60kg helm can all race level pegging with the weight equalisation turned on..and this is not just the sails pitch -  At the Europeans at Garda in '03 the 1st 5 helm weights were 80kg, 100kg plus, 58kg, 77kg, 95kg..

Now I'm note suggesting Laser 4000's should be an olympic class - but I'm just disproving your argument about corners of weight range..

Date Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 7:48pm

Sailing is a western sport.

Tell that to anyone who goes to an Enterprise Worlds for instance. And I seem to remember a Hong Kong sailboard gold medal. The first trapezes were used on Malaysian racing canoes back when toe straps were considered unsporting in the west, and have you seem the *amazing* racing Dhows they have in the Middle East?

Posted By: Chris 249
Date Posted: 15 Nov 07 at 12:59am
Originally posted by GarethT

Personally, I think they should've ditched the men's Laser, re-classified the Finn as the men's singlehander and kept the Tornado. Laser sailors could either bulk up (we know that can be done) or sail one of the plethora of other midget's boats in the olympics.

I would like to hear you tell Tom Slingsby, Schiedt, Blackburn or Ainslie that they are "midgets". One reason I have little sympathy for the heavy sailors is that they have a tendency to insult and abuse anyone who happens to be lighter than they are.

Not all Laser sailors can bulk up. Blackburn took years to bulk up to Laser weight, and since he has a PhD in sports science and spent years at the Australian Institute of Sport (an outstanding institution) it's obvious that he had the best advice on how to do it. Telling him he should grow a further 10kg+ is not intelligent.

The Finn sailors who now say that fairness demands a place for heavy sailors were quite happy to ignore the light sailors for 40 years. It is sheer hypocrisy to simply say that it was okay for lightweights to be ignored for 40 years and now say that fairness demands that the minority of heavy sailors have to be catered for.

And pray tell, why keep a 1950s design, which is longer and more expensive but barely faster, in the Games and drop the newer, lighter and cheaper Laser? Sure, the Finn allows you and your team to spend lots of cash developing new sails - but if development skill is what we are trying to reward why not allow more development? Why reward just the limited development available to a Finnster? And remember, for many years the Finn was a strict one design at the Games and the Finns used to say that only a strict, identical OD was a true test of skill!

Why sail a class that is never seen in most sailing centres, instead of the world's most popular adult's boat?

The Finn is a great class, but the abuse and hypocrisy of some of its exponents is hard to take.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 07 at 8:02am
The fact is far more Men fit into the weight range of the Laser than the Finn...

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 07 at 8:24am

And on the issue of weight...weren't the laser boys complaining they were struggling at sail for Gold this year as they were all at their China weight!!!

Posted By: GarethT
Date Posted: 15 Nov 07 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Chris 249

I would like to hear you tell Tom Slingsby, Schiedt, Blackburn or Ainslie that they are "midgets". One reason I have little sympathy for the heavy sailors is that they have a tendency to insult and abuse anyone who happens to be lighter than they are.

Maybe I should've put a  after the midget bit. I'm a 'midget' myself so apologies if you feel insulted or offended.

For every 'midget' insult from a heavy boat supporter, I have seen as many 'fat'/slow boring/coffin insults from the supporters of our lighter brethren. Maybe we all need to lighten up.

Personally I think the finn is a nicer boat than the laser, but my post wasn't aimed at selecting the best of the two, it was about finding a compromise to accomodate as much of our sport as possible.

Posted By: Chris 249
Date Posted: 15 Nov 07 at 9:55am

Maybe I should've put a  after the midget bit. I'm a 'midget' myself so apologies if you feel insulted or offended.

For every 'midget' insult from a heavy boat supporter, I have seen as many 'fat'/slow boring/coffin insults from the supporters of our lighter brethren. Maybe we all need to lighten up.

Personally I think the finn is a nicer boat than the laser, but my post wasn't aimed at selecting the best of the two, it was about finding a compromise to accomodate as much of our sport as possible.

No worries, and sorry - I have a short fuse on the "midget" and anti-Laser posts. The Laser's only one of the classes I sail but I'm becoming a passionate supporter of it because in many places it seems to be doing so much to keep sailing strong. You're right, we need to lighten up and let each other enjoy what we like to sail.

And at 5'7" I can only dream of being tall enough to be one of the big-rig "midgets"!

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 15 Nov 07 at 3:45pm

No worries, and sorry - I have a short fuse on the "midget" and anti-Laser posts. The Laser's only one of the classes I sail but I'm becoming a passionate supporter of it because in many places it seems to be doing so much to keep sailing strong. You're right, we need to lighten up and let each other enjoy what we like to sail.

And at 5'7" I can only dream of being tall enough to be one of the big-rig "midgets"!

Odd how we seem to be scratching around for solutions to this problem ... I have never seen people so hacked off about a decision by ISAF.

Has anyone on done any research to understand IF there is any process or constitutional issues that would allow this situation to reconsidered by the ISAF World Council?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 07 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Franco

Actually you can......read below.

Below a statement from Sail NZ daily e-newsletter which I receive each morning.

On the ISAF front, criticism of the chosen event card for 2012 Olympics seems to be near universal. The process for reversal/change is reasonably simple. All that is required is that a National Authority puts forward a submission advocating that a change be made and get support from other National Authorities for that move.

While that might not suit those who like bureaucracy and order, the unfortunate reality of life, is that we live in a democratic society. Bad decisions can be undone – provided they have majority support. And with the close voting of last week, it only takes a couple to jump the fence (or not abstain from voting) and the deal is done!

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com