Print Page | Close Window

Yachts & Yachting Forum - Thoughts?

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: Your ideas for this website
Forum Name: Your thoughts for YachtsandYachting.com
Forum Discription: What do you think we should be featuring on YachtsandYachting.com
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=356
Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 10:26am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Yachts & Yachting Forum - Thoughts?
Posted By: iansmithofotley
Subject: Yachts & Yachting Forum - Thoughts?
Date Posted: 31 Dec 04 at 8:12pm

Hi everyone,

First of all I would just like to wish everyone a happy new year and good sailing and racing in 2005.

The Y & Y forum has been running for about ten months now and I was just wondering what everyone thought of it, so far.  Personally, I have really enjoyed reading the various topics and have occasionally contributed to the discussions. I have learned alot about many classes of boat, about the people that sail them and the clubs where they are sailed. I look forward to checking out the posts every day. Which topics have you enjoyed the most and the least, how could the forum be improved, are the headings and sub headings appropriate, what are your thoughts?

Finally, thanks to Mark, Gael and the rest of the Y & Y team for this great facility.

Ian  (Yorkshire Dales S.C.)

Replies:
Posted By: sailor girl
Date Posted: 01 Jan 05 at 10:27am
Amen, thanks guys!
i think top topics would have to be the sexiest/ugliest dinghy and for me 'sponsorship' as i have had some great tips (thanks!.
this forum keeps me from boredem while im at school to!! Thanks for all the laughs as well!

-------------
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!

Posted By: Harry44981!
Date Posted: 01 Jan 05 at 10:47am

Repeat all above posts for me too!

Thankyou y&y team!

-------------

Posted By: hurricane
Date Posted: 01 Jan 05 at 1:25pm

all i can add is i hope the forum continues to grow in 2005!!

Posted By: Bruce Starbuck
Date Posted: 01 Jan 05 at 1:34pm

It's been an excellent addition.

Not sure about the topics though. I think it'd be better with no topics, just a big free-for all. Also, the best bit is being anonymous and writing things you would never say if you had to put your name to it. (tee hee). Unfortunately, that means I can't enter the new sailor database thing, as it all logs on in the same process.

Posted By: bigwavedave
Date Posted: 01 Jan 05 at 4:53pm

Some of the squabbles have had me in fits (you know who you are). Where would we be without all those teenage hormones wizzing over the internet

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jan 05 at 5:53pm
i hope your not talking about me or my fellow teens

Posted By: redback
Date Posted: 01 Jan 05 at 6:23pm

Oh, he must be talking about me then!

Date Posted: 01 Jan 05 at 6:23pm
it's all been a great laugh and i have 'met' some great people on here (you no who u r!!!) thankyou!!

-------------

Posted By: Brian
Date Posted: 01 Jan 05 at 9:41pm
be careful with that word sailor girl.... (no one else will get it, but whatever)

-------------

Posted By: Calum_Reid
Date Posted: 01 Jan 05 at 9:55pm
Agree with all the above!!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 05 at 12:08am
hummm i wonder who that could be

Date Posted: 02 Jan 05 at 2:27pm

Originally posted by hurricane

hummm i wonder who that could be

what? I think, that is PROBABLY Calum reid, just probably, what with that being his user name and stuff...

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 05 at 2:33pm
Brian, gorw up, please. and i dont get what your other post means if im suposed to? but just for the record, you wern't one of the great people i was talking about.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 05 at 2:39pm
well duh

-------------

Posted By: Calum_Reid
Date Posted: 02 Jan 05 at 7:24pm
Sailor Girl Remember Brian is only a young 1!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 05 at 9:27pm
..... yes, young and still a computer geniusman!

-------------

Posted By: Rob.e
Date Posted: 02 Jan 05 at 10:02pm

Maybe as a computor genierse you could teach me how to do me an avatar, Brian? Or even how to spell??

I really enjoy all the teenage stuff, too, BTW, after all the boring old F*£+$ I deal with, it brightens up my day, 'speshuly when someone takes exception.

If only I understood all the jargon....

Date Posted: 02 Jan 05 at 11:59pm
I think the forum is great.  Sometimes the banter seems like a waste but other times I think it is good that there is so much freedom from censor.  My hope is that there will be more discussion on dinghy development.

Posted By: Harry44981!
Date Posted: 03 Jan 05 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Rob.e

If only I understood all the jargon....

We had a little jargon buster a while back

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 05 at 8:41pm
hummmm, the avatar that i have would take ages to explain, but u can just get a still image and shrink it to 64 x 64 pixels in paint...

-------------

Posted By: IanW
Date Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 12:23pm

My thoughts on this is that the topics dont make much difference as posts pop up all over the place would it make more sence just to have one or two catogories and leave it at that.

Great site keep up the good work Mark

Posted By: headfry
Date Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 12:45pm
Off the wall question.......

why is the date wrong.....?

I have this set up so that it shows the new postings since my last visit...

I have not changed any settings, It seems to have done it buy it's self -- it is now showing in the title box 'show active topics since 25th Jan!! 

Why has the date changed and how do I get it back to todays date??

I get this happening offten. Is it something that i do without knowing?

Date Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 1:38pm
It's supposed to be like that.  You can change the value to suit your self but ifyou don't it defaults to a setting which matches last time you looked at the forum.  I find it very useful and another useful feature is the little grey arrow on the right hand side of each topic - this takes you directly to the last post.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 2:19pm
I too find it very useful, but why does it revert to 2 days ago!  up until late this morning it gave todays date and worked fine...as in, each time i viewed the site it would give only the new messages since my last visit, being today!

If I click on the arrow I get the drop down menu box reading something like...

27th january
15mins
30 mins
etc

Now i am getting
25th january     ????? why
15 mins
30 mins
etc

I can not find todays date anywhere in the menu

Help me please...

Date Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 2:23pm
IT'S BACK TO THE 27TH NOW.......HOW?
help....    what am I doing, even if  I am not aware of doing anything at all

Posted By: Pierre
Date Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 2:46pm
It's the ghost in the machine

Date Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 2:59pm
Thought all was well..however it now tells me my last visit was 27th jan at 12:53....Funny thing is the time of my last posting.....2:23!  which I guess leads you to think that was the time of my last visit..... 

Posted By: Scooby_simon
Date Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 3:26pm

Headfry

Are you using different PC's for each visit, or have you set your security settings to not allow cookies ?  Either of these could be causing these types of problems

-------------
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..

Date Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 3:42pm
Hi Scooby_simon,

Same PC each tim,e not sure about cookiues as I am using my works pc I really dont want to play about with it... The other thing with the cookies... As stress levels are now high ( Due to forum probs) I am needing plenty of cookies, big fat chocolate ones...got any????   please

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 28 Jan 05 at 4:00pm
If you go to edit profile, right at the bottom of the page it has a time offset and date format - if you're based in the UK the time offset should be zero. As the time and date come from the server its probably not your PC that's caused the glitch!

-------------
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk

Posted By: hydrographer20
Date Posted: 24 Feb 05 at 9:35am
this is  great addition to the website however i have only recently found it .  but i have become addicted to it and the characters who appeatr so often in the topics  i am shocked to fin d that alot of people are a tcollege as i tohught the majority would be much older.   but u hope this little community of sailing fan comtinues to gorw throughout 2005

-------------
byte me!- GBR 814

Posted By: Black no sugar
Date Posted: 24 Feb 05 at 9:48am

I don't see why it should be a shock to see so many students on the forum... Apart from obvious reasons (students have far too much time on their hands), they also have plenty of ideas and enthusiasm.

As for old cronies like me, you can spot them: they try and respect English grammar and spelling!!   - hydrographer20, your brain works faster than your fingers  -

-------------
http://www.lancingsc.org.uk/index.html - Lancing SC

Date Posted: 24 Feb 05 at 9:54am
oh i know but u see i have the problem that i think fast and if i forget what im typing about!.  but people get used to my silly typing after a while ull see.  and it has taken me about 4 times as long to write this message !   you se you ae correcvt that i ahve alot of time on my hands but however there is far too much i want to di in it sothe faster i type the more posts i can get involved in e.t.c

-------------
byte me!- GBR 814

Date Posted: 24 Feb 05 at 10:04am

yep, it's another way of seeing it!

My typing is a little less inventive, then again, I'm not English.. Been drilled from a tender age to respect silly things as grammar, spelling and punctuation. It does hamper speed a bit

Have fun getting involved in as many posts as you can!!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 05 at 10:06am
yeh         tha nks i intend to.  you see im not into all that texting type style so i have generated my own stle as types as fast as u can and see what happens lol

-------------
byte me!- GBR 814

Date Posted: 24 Feb 05 at 11:46am
Well done Isabelle on becoming a posting king/queen

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 05 at 12:01pm

[QUOTE=hydrographer20]oh i know but u see i have the problem that i think fast and if i forget what im typing about!. 

mmmmm, talking/typing so fast that you can't remember what you was talking/typing about to start with......

I suspect , without looking at your profile, that you are female

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 05 at 1:13pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHH

bigwavedave, you're soooooooooo dead!!

Watch what you're eating on Sunday!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 05 at 1:14pm
And thank you, sweet bigwavedave, for noticing the Posting Monarch! Yipee!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com