Print Page | Close Window

saving for a boat?

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: Your ideas for this website
Forum Name: Your thoughts for YachtsandYachting.com
Forum Discription: What do you think we should be featuring on YachtsandYachting.com
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=282
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 8:29pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: saving for a boat?
Posted By: headfry
Subject: saving for a boat?
Date Posted: 11 Nov 04 at 3:23pm

This might be a huge non-starter but here goes anyway

I am starting to save for my own (RS400) I don't have much in the way of spare cash, so it could take a while.

I can wait, it will be worth it!

I can't be alone in this task...... there must be others in the same boat ( sorry bad pun)

Maybe we could jolly each other along when things seem tough going or just slow going! trying to balance paying to hire boats and saving. Along with families, kids, pets, houses and cars......etc.

How about a kinda 'savers support group' on the forum, or am being a touch silly on this one?

Replies:
Posted By: Brian
Date Posted: 11 Nov 04 at 4:10pm
me too!! saving for any 2 man assym trapeze boat really. would like a
29er but is
probly out of price range. have saved 400 euro so far, but i only have to
pay for half of it.... still a long way to go....

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Nov 04 at 4:34pm

Good on ya Brian...keep going.

I have, so far have almost £300 long way to go. About 2 years worth!!

Keep us posted over the months, years, however long it takes.

Posted By: sailor girl
Date Posted: 11 Nov 04 at 4:54pm
saving £700 for new byte rig, long way to go, only have 200

-------------
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!

Date Posted: 11 Nov 04 at 7:27pm

hopefully will have enough by next summer but i wont be able to sail it! il be in New Zealand all summer. gutted. hopefully i can sail wit some of my frends ova there.....

keep it up guys! dont reply to those text messages that u really want to reply to!

-------------

Posted By: Harry44981!
Date Posted: 11 Nov 04 at 7:54pm
Don't buy food for a couiple of months, and sleep on the street to save money on rent! That was a joke Brian please don't do it, as I think you'd take drastic measures to get you're 29er soon!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 04 at 6:59am
aaaawwwwww! it's good that we are saving for something worth while, my friends are saving for the latest mobile or something like that. (brian, i wud but i hav no credit)

-------------

Posted By: Sarah B
Date Posted: 12 Nov 04 at 8:41am
I see sensible people here saving for a boat. I bought it and then thought about the money afterwards - oops. I had forgotten that to go to open meetings etc costs nearly as much as a boat itself

-------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 04 at 5:18pm
lol, yeh i know what you mean! what do u sail?

-------------

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 12 Nov 04 at 7:55pm
Sarah,

You don't have to go to open meetings to get good sailing you know...

Most clubs have active fleets of the popular classes...does depend on what you sail...

I have sail a fair few over the years (god how old do I sound...) but for preference I stick with Scorps, Fireballs (the classic variety) and Lasers. That list not really in order of preference but I will sail just about anything...except and Enterprise...they get on my wick!

Enjoy....

Paul

Date Posted: 14 Nov 04 at 9:27pm

harry i dont pay rent. i live in a house, my families house. im 15, duh. i dont actually know if there is a 29er class in ireland....not exactly sailingly clued in.

i have gone to drastic measures already, last month i lasted on 1.05 credit for the whole 4 weeks, i didnt spend a single cent, which is far removed from when i used to spend 50 on cred per month, tho my parents were paying for it then... this month i have splashed out a bit tho... ynow, textin people that dont text back...

-------------

Posted By: Binky
Date Posted: 15 Nov 04 at 7:54pm
I'm useless at saving - i get so far and then i see something I
really want and buy it without thinking about what I'm supposed
to be saving for (and I spend most of my money on credit)

Date Posted: 16 Nov 04 at 10:46am
Binky........ you can save, even if it's only pennies, put these in a jar once a week, you will feel you have achieved some way to your goal. it's not about how much, it's about feeling that you are working towards your dream.Open a seperate savings account 'boat fund' once a month bank your pennies. I have old house to renovate, cars to run, pets to feed, club boats to hire, etc., but penny by penny I will have my boat! It's better to save little by little than to put a burden on yourself to save shed loads each month and to never realise your goal.  Good luck Binky...... have a look in your pockets, do you have a penny? .......put it in that jar!

Posted By: Pierre
Date Posted: 16 Nov 04 at 12:34pm

Dear headfry

What a fantastiic piece of advice and encouragement.  Beautifully articulated

........ Could you have a word with my teenagers please?

Kind Regards

Date Posted: 19 Nov 04 at 8:15pm
Cool idea Headfry I've got a little pen so I can so I can mark
how much I've saved! It doesn't seem like I've never got any
money because I'm only putting away little amounts
Thanks Headfry! This thread was a great idea

Posted By: Harry44981!
Date Posted: 19 Nov 04 at 8:34pm
what does that fmaous saying go like? ''Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves''

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 04 at 7:58pm
Christmas is coming - the hardest time of year not to dip into
that penny jar - keep it up all those people who are saving for
their dream!

Posted By: Matt Jackson
Date Posted: 08 Dec 04 at 7:58am
Ahhh... this thread has gone all Disney

-------------
Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36

Date Posted: 10 Dec 04 at 8:50pm
know anybody we could sue?

-------------

Posted By: big man
Date Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 6:50pm
iv just bourght a boat with my mate for £4000 and im a student so natrually i dont have much cash. i lent the money from my nan ( shes lovely) im paying her back £100 a month can i join the group?

-------------
keep it flat you t***

Posted By: bigwavedave
Date Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 7:00pm

Bigman, welcome to world of debt motivation.  The more debt you have the harder you have to work!

Has your Nan got any cash left over?

-------------

Posted By: James Bell
Date Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 8:00pm

eBay is a good way to raise money for sailing gear by selling items around your house that you no longer use. You can literally sell anything on there and it all adds up.

Just be sure to spend a bit of time preparing the item properly. Clean it up, take the best possible photos (preferably brightly lit), and take time to write good descriptions which talk the item up whilst still being honest - it really does make a huge difference to the final sale price. Oh and listing in the right category helps too!

Another option if you're good at woodwork is to buy boats cheap, do them up a bit and sell them on (in order to raise money). I know of, for example, someone who bought a GP14 for £50, painted, varnished and generally tidied it up a bit and then sold it for £450!!

Good luck!

-------------
IOS Sailing Community - http://www.iossc.org.uk/" rel="nofollow - www.iossc.org.uk

Posted By: stuarthop
Date Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 9:58pm
i've done that with a mirror before made a good profit too

-------------

Posted By: Lucy Lee
Date Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 10:31pm

eBay is the absolute buisness for raising cash.

We sold old Silva racing compass sold for £40, Walker Log: £102 (more than we bought it for), Inmarsat C: £540 (more than the cost of the car we got from eBay!), solar panels from our cruising cat: £10 (all the contacts were coroded).

All cluttter, now in the pot for the new Cherub... 

-------------
Fly Cherub!

Date Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 10:55pm

can i sell my mum

lol so how do you sell stuff on da net (ebay) iv never do it before

-------------
keep it flat you t***

Posted By: James Bell
Date Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 10:59pm
See http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/ebayexplained - http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/ebayexplained

-------------
IOS Sailing Community - http://www.iossc.org.uk/" rel="nofollow - www.iossc.org.uk

Posted By: Lucy Lee
Date Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 11:04pm

Go to eBay and have a look at the instructions. You'll need to make a user i.d. and that sort of thing.

A really useful bit of kit is an accurate set of scales and the UK parcel postage costs so you can let potential buyers know how much things will cost to post. You need to be prepared to get the stuff to them pretty quickly once the auction is completed and they've paid otherwise they'll give you bad feedback and you will have trouble selling again. Also it is important to consider how they can pay you. If they are going to post cheques you'll need a bank account, or you can set up a paypal account (you'll need a credit card). The easiest way is deliver the stuff (or they collect) and pay in cash. It's not hard, you just need to be a bit organised!

-------------
Fly Cherub!

Date Posted: 13 Feb 05 at 11:13pm
now i have figured out how to sell on ebay im at the hard bit i have to decide what to sell.. ummmmmm

-------------
keep it flat you t***

Date Posted: 15 Feb 05 at 12:56pm
Sell your car and buy a better one... you might make a profit too...

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Feb 05 at 4:30pm
stu u know just asmuch as i do i cant afford to do that! ha mite sell my helm tho lol

-------------
keep it flat you t***

Date Posted: 15 Feb 05 at 4:49pm
old married couple big man....remember that!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Feb 05 at 5:14pm
he started it!

-------------
keep it flat you t***

Date Posted: 16 Feb 05 at 6:47pm
No u did!!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 05 at 6:52pm

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 05 at 7:10pm

Just winding the crew up!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 05 at 10:49pm
to be fair he is a good helm

-------------
keep it flat you t***

Date Posted: 18 Feb 05 at 8:55am
big mans gone for a week now! Time to catch him up on posts or to try any way!

-------------

Posted By: hydrographer20
Date Posted: 19 Feb 05 at 4:59pm
keep going saving money for a new dinghy.  i have saved up nearly all my wages since august and have just bought myself a byte today, im so ahppy i reched my goal trust me it is worth it in the end!! you can do it!! 

-------------
byte me!- GBR 814

Date Posted: 19 Feb 05 at 6:09pm
well done, do you have the c2 rig?

-------------

Posted By: bigwavedave
Date Posted: 19 Feb 05 at 7:02pm
Sailor girl, how does the new rig compare/perform to the old rig?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Feb 05 at 7:41pm
I havn't tried it out yet, my club on the sea closes for winter so we migrate to a pond in the winter but it seems the fishermen are out in force and i refuse to use a new sail there incase it gets hooked and torn, I've seen that happen too many times! i'm dying to use it tho!! i keep looking at it laying on my bedroom floor-it's to precious to go in the garage!

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Feb 05 at 9:15pm
thats how a sail should be looked after, but you gotta use it, go on give it a try...

-------------

Posted By: carshalton fc
Date Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 10:01pm
yer go on try it and when you do can you tell us so we know what it is relly like.

-------------
International 14 1503

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com