Print Page | Close Window

Alexandra Palace

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: General
Forum Name: Boat Shows
Forum Discription: Discuss the various boat shows we have in the sailing industry
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2744
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 9:12pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Alexandra Palace
Posted By: Smight at BBSC
Subject: Alexandra Palace
Date Posted: 03 Mar 07 at 10:31pm

So what did everyone think of the show?

i thought some of the new boats looked great such as the cherub daemon , the 14, the national 12 among others. But the drive home was not so pleasent as Carshalton threw up all over the car  and me TWICE !!!

-------------
RS600 988

Replies:
Posted By: Contender443
Date Posted: 03 Mar 07 at 10:32pm
Must have been Alex driving then!!!!

-------------
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764

Posted By: Medway Maniac
Date Posted: 03 Mar 07 at 11:11pm

Great show - good stands and looked to be well attended - and the staff and venue were great once you were there. But getting there by road, and much worse still, getting out past the North Circular, was an utter pain.

Venue closer to M25 highly desired...

Posted By: Webmuppet
Date Posted: 04 Mar 07 at 12:01am
I totally agree, I really enjoyed the show, great stands, lots of good things to see, nice to catch up with friends etc, I like Ally Pally as a venue, it's got character and is just the right size, however getting back out of London was really hard work and puts a dampener on what was otherwise a really good day out,

Nigel

-------------
I am the milkman of human kindness, I will leave an extra pint (Billy Bragg)

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'

Posted By: allanorton
Date Posted: 04 Mar 07 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

Great show - good stands and looked to be well attended - and the staff and venue were great once you were there. But getting there by road, and much worse still, getting out past the North Circular, was an utter pain.

Venue closer to M25 highly desired...

Stick it in a place where the rest of the UK are willing to attend

-------------

Posted By: MRJP BUZZ 585
Date Posted: 04 Mar 07 at 2:35pm
Yea the dinghy show was great, really good atmosphere, drive home also was horrible, north circular was jammed, although further south it did free up a bit

-------------
Josh Preater

http://www.bu22.co.uk">BUZZING IS FUN

Posted By: olly_love
Date Posted: 04 Mar 07 at 4:50pm

it wasnt to bad for us.  it took us bout 1hour 40 to get back to soton.  but we were going for it

-------------
TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

Posted By: FireballNeil
Date Posted: 04 Mar 07 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Smight at BBSC

the drive home was not so pleasent as Carshalton threw up all over the car  and me TWICE !!!

Ah the joys of going by train!

-------------
Neil

Posted By: stuarthop
Date Posted: 04 Mar 07 at 9:19pm
The show was great. The drive home took 4 and a half hours due to stupid london traffic and the m1, 2 hours north and we passsed the NEC a far better venue . Got home to wrexham 10 mins before topgear finnished i'm truely gutted!

-------------

Posted By: les5269
Date Posted: 04 Mar 07 at 9:29pm

Great show and I think it should stay at the palace it's a fab venue.

My drive home was fine no holdups or delays! (I left at 9-30 though )

-------------
49er 531 & 5000 5025 and a mirror(now gone to mirror heaven)!

http://www.grafham.org/" rel="nofollow - Grafham water Sailing Club The greatest inland sailing in the country

Posted By: HannahJ
Date Posted: 04 Mar 07 at 9:37pm
Was great, phew saturday was a bit of a marathon, there for 9 hours, was ill on the way home as well... breakdown was nice and quick tday though, disregarding the wretched gravell.....

-------------
MIRROR 64799 "Dolphin"
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

Posted By: Hector
Date Posted: 05 Mar 07 at 12:22am

Good show - seemed busier than usual. Despite a 200 mile drive, I like the venue.

As Hannah says, it was a bit of a marathon - I got quite dehydrated - and has anyone got a solution for aching feet? Lord knows how people feel after 10 days at the Excel Boat Show.

At least the break down was much quicker than last year and we avoided the north circular and so overall got home nearly 2 hours earlier than last year.

Posted By: Isis
Date Posted: 05 Mar 07 at 9:24am
Ive just got home ater getting on the megabus at 11:45 last night... none of you lot have anything to complain about travelwise!

-------------

Posted By: radixon
Date Posted: 05 Mar 07 at 10:36am
Feel sorry for you, I know what its like travelling overnight, but well done for the effort to get down there.

-------------

Posted By: Rob.e
Date Posted: 05 Mar 07 at 11:41am

I can't imagine ever going if I lived in the North! I wonder if there isn't a case for a Northern version of the show? Surely there are as many North based sailors as Southerners? Perhaps it could alternate between a Northern venue and a Southern one.

Just a thought!

-------------

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 05 Mar 07 at 12:17pm
Again the joys of the train...got on at Peterborough, changed and Finsbury Park (just avoiding that start of the Arsenal fans rush.#

Went round the show, said hi to a few people I recognised (was not there for long as had to get home for the sailing club prize giving that night).

Got back on the train, again just avoid the football rush and was home around and hour later.

Much easier than driving (I did that a few years back...never ever again!)

Paul

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Posted By: craiggo
Date Posted: 06 Mar 07 at 7:22pm
As usual the show was great, although having been in the RYA conferance in the morning had to run around the show a bit. New boats looked awesome especially the DAEMON, it made Subtle Knife look like it had been built in someones loft with no lights on !
The RYA conferance was very disappointing and the waffle about club pro's was totally missing the mark for all but the biggest clubs. Expected the RYA to come up with some useful assistance on helping and improving club racing but all they suceeded in doing was showing how ignorant they are especially with all the corporate bullsh*t that they were spouting, terms such as ,"going forward" and "our baseline shows ...". This kind of language is infuriating enough at work because silly little twerps think its cool and fashionable but when its being spoken by your sports ruling body its just stupid.
Back to the actual show I thought the general attitudes of the guys on stands was really good. Over the years some of the top guys have been ponsing about looking down there noses at us but this year I felt like people were much friendlier. Had great chats with the guys on the 18ft Skiff, 12ft Skiff, RS, Graduate, YW Dayboat and ISO stands and it was good to meet up with all of the lads from Salford Uni SC 1995-1999 and the RS600 guys from 2000-2004.

Paul Craig
RS700 844

Posted By: Isis
Date Posted: 07 Mar 07 at 3:24am
Originally posted by craiggo

New boats looked awesome especially the DAEMON, it made Subtle Knife look like it had been built in someones loft with no lights on !

The Daemon looked very polished for sure but thats a little harsh. Subtle Knife was the prototype for the hartley boats and hand built in full carbon cherub spec. Its stiffer and lighter than the daemon (though carries an increased price tag with its benifits) and anyone who would mock its build quality has obviously never tried anything similar themselves. Sure there are a few rough edges as with any custom built boat but the only way to avoid these is to stack on the filler and sand back down adding weight which id rather do wthout personaly...

-------------

Posted By: Father Jack
Date Posted: 10 Mar 07 at 4:22pm

Craiggo Wrote

'The RYA conferance was very disappointing and the waffle about club pro's was totally missing the mark for all but the biggest clubs'

The thing about that I found particularly amusing was the chap calling himself the 'small club pro'. During his talk he mentioned part of his job being the maintenance of club boat park spaces of which there were over 400. Allowing for a percentage of the club's boats being two handers then a reasonable estimate must place this 'small' club's membership in the 600 plus range. Round these parts (Cornwall) for a dinghy club that's a 'rather large club'. As for the other so called 'large' club it apparently has a turnover in excess of £1 million a year, more like a PLC than a club.

I'm not knocking the concept of club pro, but I do sometimes wonder if the RYA exists in a parallel universe where the UK consists exclusively of Surrey and Hampshire.

Takes big regional chip off shoulder

Posted By: Jack Sparrow
Date Posted: 10 Mar 07 at 7:04pm
Are you my Dad?  I thought you might be because there are plenty of Pirates in the Vatican.

See you in the next movie.....

-------------
http://www.uk3-7class.org/index.html" rel="nofollow - Farr 3.7 Class Website
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1092602470772759/" rel="nofollow - Farr 3.7 Building - Facebook Group

Posted By: timeintheboat
Date Posted: 10 Mar 07 at 9:56pm
I'm sorry but nice building though it is and love the views, it's in the wrong place.

NEC has to be the place to go or even down in Docklands. But I suspect cost has something to do with it.

-------------
Like some other things - sailing is more enjoyable when you do it with someone else

Posted By: radixon
Date Posted: 11 Mar 07 at 5:59pm

Originally posted by timeintheboat

I'm sorry but nice building though it is and love the views, it's in the wrong place.

NEC has to be the place to go or even down in Docklands. But I suspect cost has something to do with it.

Docklands = EXCEL

-------------

Posted By: olly_love
Date Posted: 11 Mar 07 at 6:03pm

which is even worse place.  trains then tubes then dlr.

and it is a massive place. you could flood it and hold a race in there let alone a small show

-------------
TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com