Print Page | Close Window

New London Boat Show announcement

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: General
Forum Name: Boat Shows
Forum Discription: Discuss the various boat shows we have in the sailing industry
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2638
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 1:52pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New London Boat Show announcement
Posted By: Mark Jardine
Subject: New London Boat Show announcement
Date Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 11:10am

Since 2004 the London Boat Show has been held at ExCeL. After a bumper 210,000 visitors in the first year, attendances have been dwindling, with 80,000 less visitors in 2007. On the back of this a new Earls Court Boat Show has been announced.

There are obvious problems with Earls Court as a venue; street lamps had to be moved just to get the large superyachts down the London streets and the venue just wasn’t big enough for the number of exhibitors wanting to come, but ExCeL also has two main problems. 

First is the location. The Docklands area is having a massive amount of redevelopment, but is currently a building site. Driving up the A13 from the M25 is through an industrial wasteland and taking the Dockland Light Railway from Central London is often seriously overcrowded and not what people want to do after a day’s work.

The second major concern is the ExCeL centre itself. The building is just two giant halls with a long central dividing corridor. Masts cannot be up on any large yachts and there is no way to get an overview of the show from an elevated position. This is what people miss about Earls Court. This has changed the nature of the London Boat Show from a show to an exhibition. 

The announcement of a new Earls Court Boat Show is unsurprising since there have been grumblings within the industry about ExCeL for some time. Holding the show from 1-9 December 2007 is surely dooming this initiative to failure, with the Paris International Boat Show on from 1-10 December 2007. Exhibitors cannot be in two places at once and international companies will always stick with the established major show.

The British Marine Federation is quick to point at success stories from the London Boat Show. Increased sales figures boost confidence in the industry, but is this just the result of a growing economy and massive City bonuses? 

The major question in my mind is whether the industry needs two major domestic shows in a year. Exhibiting at ExCeL is a major expense for the industry both financially and in people’s time. The motor and cycling industries only have one each, both at ExCeL. Should the London Boat Show be canned altogether? Or alternatively should the Southampton Boat Show be canned and the London Boat Show held in September at ExCeL when outside docks could be used properly?

Time for the industry to do some serious thinking and decision making.

Replies:
Posted By: Scooby_simon
Date Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 11:31am

I think it is insane having it at the same time as the Paris show !!!

-------------
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..

Posted By: radixon
Date Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 11:50am
One question, WHY?

-------------

Posted By: MRJP BUZZ 585
Date Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 1:07pm
Yep, double booking is going to kill the show

-------------
Josh Preater

http://www.bu22.co.uk">BUZZING IS FUN

Posted By: hurricane
Date Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 5:20pm

the idea of using excel at a decent time of year would be good!

Southampton still manages to be the best show even with its disjointed layout.

Is the main reason for the london show being in jan so boats ordered at the show can be used in the coming season?

-------------
lifes to short to sail slow boats!

RIP Olympic Tornado 1976-2007

Posted By: stuarthop
Date Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 6:25pm
Exel is rubbish! need i say more take it back to earls court

-------------

Posted By: Stefan Lloyd
Date Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 6:35pm

Originally posted by hurricane

Is the main reason for the london show being in jan so boats ordered at the show can be used in the coming season?

Yes. It is also the time of year when the City boys have received their bonuses.

Date Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Stefan Lloyd

Originally posted by hurricane

Yes. It is also the time of year when the City boys have received their bonuses.

Yep; another reason NOT for having the show in Dec. 

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 8:42pm

Mark, according to this

http://www.londonboatshow.com/ - http://www.londonboatshow.com/

the 2008 show is at ExCel........

-------------

Posted By: Mark Jardine
Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 5:54am

Hi Scooby

Yes, the BMF show is at ExCeL. This annoucement is about a new show at Earls Court... see http://www.earlscourtboatshow.com/ - http://www.earlscourtboatshow.com/  for more information.

Cheers

Mark

Posted By: robinft
Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 9:51am

Earls Court is a horrible venue and should have been demolished years ago. Excel beats it hands down in every way possible.

HOWEVER, I accept that if you live to the west of London Earls Court is easier to get to.

For dinghy sailors neither event can approach the Dinghy Show at Alexandra Palace, although parking and access are far from perfect.

Posted By: hum3
Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 12:43pm

What about the NEC?

Posted By: rogerd
Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 2:29pm

My point exactly....

Posted By: robinft
Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 2:31pm
The NEC is a good venue and preferable to Earls Court. But there is currently no boat 'event' there which is why I didn't mention it

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 2:54pm
I guess the majority of sailing goes on in the south so only sensible to run the show in the south ....

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 3:40pm

Originally posted by hum3

What about the NEC?

Ah yes, the prospect of a day out in the back end of Brum and its lovely grid-locked motorway network. Not, perhaps, everyone's idea of a good time.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 4:41pm

Originally posted by Guest#260

I guess the majority of sailing goes on in the south so only sensible to run the show in the south ....

Not a chance! theres just as much sailing up north and the NEC would be a great location most southerners are just far to lazy to travel!

Apologies for anyone who takes offence to this

-------------

Posted By: neilw
Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 4:56pm

Originally posted by robinft

The NEC is a good venue and preferable to Earls Court. But there is currently no boat 'event' there which is why I didn't mention it

Apart from this one.

http://www.boatandcaravan.co.uk/visitors/products/boating-and-marine/ - http://www.boatandcaravan.co.uk/visitors/products/boating-an d-marine/

Posted By: hum3
Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 5:32pm

Originally posted by hum3

What about the NEC?

Ah yes, the prospect of a day out in the back end of Brum and its lovely grid-locked motorway network. Not, perhaps, everyone's idea of a good time.

Ah - the highways and byways of London. Easy to navigate, free from traffic and parking spaces as far as the eye can see...

Travelling from Bristol, I would prefer getting to the NEC, but hey, it's down to where you live in the end... Objectively, a show at the NEC would perhaps get a slightly different audience based purely on those who would not go to London/Southampton because of the distance, and perhaps not suffer as much from 'boat show fatigue'???

Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 5:38pm

Originally posted by stuarthop

Not a chance! theres just as much sailing up north

Three mistakes here. The first is: the Boat Show isn't all about sailing. It is mostly about selling large stinkboats. Second mistake is: most of the people who might be able to afford the stinkboats in question work in the City. They are not evenly spread around the country. Third mistake, even if we are talking sailing, the kind of sailing that is relevant is primarily large yachts, which are mostly based either in the Solent or abroad.

So yes, the NEC is nearer the middle of the country but no, it isn't in the middle of the customers the Boat Show is looking for.

Posted By: sailor.jon
Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 5:52pm

Originally posted by stuarthop

Not a chance! theres just as much sailing up north

Three mistakes here. The first is: the Boat Show isn't all about sailing. It is mostly about selling large stinkboats. Second mistake is: most of the people who might be able to afford the stinkboats in question work in the City. They are not evenly spread around the country. Third mistake, even if we are talking sailing, the kind of sailing that is relevant is primarily large yachts, which are mostly based either in the Solent or abroad.

So yes, the NEC is nearer the middle of the country but no, it isn't in the middle of the customers the Boat Show is looking for.

still. would be nice if it were more evenly spread for us mear mortals,

let them have the boat show. Bring the dinghy show up north

-------------
Jon
Vortex 1169
http://www.yorkshiredales.sc/ - Yorkshire Dales Sailing Club

Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 5:57pm
The only good thing about the boat show in london in the guiness (yes i know its irish!) Bring it up north and have some proper beer!

-------------

Posted By: sailor.jon
Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 6:02pm
how far north are we talking, Black Sheep or Newcastle brown??

-------------
Jon
Vortex 1169
http://www.yorkshiredales.sc/ - Yorkshire Dales Sailing Club

Date Posted: 30 Jan 07 at 6:08pm
Its got to be the Spitting Feathers!

-------------

Posted By: Rob Dainty
Date Posted: 31 Jan 07 at 9:47am
Why not move it to the NEC, very large, easy access for all.

-------------
Rob

Posted By: Rob Dainty
Date Posted: 31 Jan 07 at 9:48am
May they should rename it!

-------------
Rob

Posted By: headfry
Date Posted: 31 Jan 07 at 9:51am
From the little child having it's first paddle in the sea, to the elderly couple reading papers on the promenade,

From the salty sea to the inland waters

Power, sail. oars, whatever....

please, a little more tolerance could, and should be shown to all those who strive to be on, in, under, or beside the water

we all here enjoy our hobbies....be  gracious and let all share the joy of the water, whatever their choice of craft.

Posted By: Pierre
Date Posted: 31 Jan 07 at 10:36am

Dear headfry..... what good and true sentiments put across with a heart warming and very attractive generosity of spirit.

I just think you blew it on the last line........ (the g word)

Posted By: headfry
Date Posted: 31 Jan 07 at 10:44am
oops!
thanks Pierre
I have corrected my error now, sorry folks

Posted By: rogerd
Date Posted: 31 Jan 07 at 12:54pm

Dear Mr Headfry,

When you talk of those enjoying their sport beside the water do you include those chaps with catapaults and maggotts. Whose sport seems to be to fill my boat with stinking morsels of dog biscuit and something called "boilies"

Posted By: No. 5
Date Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 1:01pm

Originally posted by headfry

please, a little more tolerance could, and should be shown to all those who strive to be on, in, under, or beside the water

we all here enjoy our hobbies....be  gracious and let all share the joy of the water, whatever their choice of craft.

Except inconsiderate jetskiers and motorboaters surely?

Though to be fair (I hate that phrase but it does seem to be appropriate here) most motorboaters aren't too bad.

Posted By: Medway Maniac
Date Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by No. 5

Though to be fair (I hate that phrase but it does seem to be appropriate here) most motorboaters aren't too bad.

Come in No.5, your CPU needs adjusting. Wasn't that long ago you sailed - how quickly the memories fade...

As for moving the Dinghy Show up north. Absolutely, why not? I'd actually prefer Watford to Ally Pally.

Posted By: No. 5
Date Posted: 06 Feb 07 at 6:08pm

You're dead right MM, what AM I saying?!  I would like to take this oppurtunity to retract my previous statement.

It's particularly amusing when they come through our line just before the start and then decide to stop because it's all a bit confusing. Oh how that makes us all laugh!

Don't they know dinghy sailors have priority over everyone else?

I wonder if the reason they sometimes cut us up is because they're drawn to the pretty colours we have on our boats and want to look at something more interesting than their rapidly descending fuel guages?

I should be out on sunday so that will give me an oppurtunity to swear at them again.

Posted By: marooned4
Date Posted: 27 Mar 07 at 3:50pm

Stefan Lloyd wrote:

hurricane wrote:

Scooby_simon wrote

Yep; another reason NOT for having the show in Dec. 

Scooby, as Stefan says, Jan is good if you're aiming for city boys, which is exactly excel's target market, but Dec is better if you're trying to appeal to the broader boating community, December is when people are in the mood to celebrate, to spend money and to come to London...

Date Posted: 27 Mar 07 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by marooned4

Scooby, as Stefan says, Jan is good if you're aiming for city boys, which is exactly excel's target market, but Dec is better if you're trying to appeal to the broader boating community, December is when people are in the mood to celebrate, to spend money and to come to London...

Not all Bonus's get paid in Dec.  a large percenentage are paid in Feb / March which is nearer financial YE.

-------------

Posted By: marooned4
Date Posted: 27 Mar 07 at 4:19pm
the point is not about when bonuses are paid, but that in December core boating customers are most likely to want to spend money. the boating industry is not entirely made up of rich city types and it's good to see a show that doesn't revolve around them either.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com