Forum Discription: The latest moves in the dinghy market
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13726
Printed Date: 16 Apr 24 at 10:35am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: No race officer sailing
Posted By: tink
Subject: No race officer sailing
Date Posted: 20 Dec 20 at 8:09pm
Does anyone know the cost of a sail juice type tracker. Considering COVID and generally filling duties how economical is it to run club racing using some form of tracker. 

-------------
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com

Replies:
Posted By: ClubRacer
Date Posted: 20 Dec 20 at 8:15pm
sounds a lot of work for the poor b**tard who has to manage it.

In my opinion the easiest way to run racing without any RO is to have a designated boat to give a warning signal and prep and then everyone takes there own times/laps. This would be a 10 minute job for the results person to sort at the end of the day 

Date Posted: 20 Dec 20 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by ClubRacer

sounds a lot of work for the poor b**tard who has to manage it.

In my opinion the easiest way to run racing without any RO is to have a designated boat to give a warning signal and prep and then everyone takes there own times/laps. This would be a 10 minute job for the results person to sort at the end of the day 
I appreciate there are ‘manual’ ways of running races but surely the technology exist that each sailor cares a bit it tech, it tells them when to start, records the race and when ashore uploads and produces the results. Clearly a good part of the technology already exists. 

-------------
Tink

Date Posted: 20 Dec 20 at 8:42pm
Sailjuice don't use the trackers for results because there isn't a reliable way of doing it

Posted By: polc1410
Date Posted: 20 Dec 20 at 11:13pm
There are phone apps. Not used them. It does feel like every sport has progressed in terms of timing & results except sailing! 20cm can matter. The resolution of a good GPS signal is 3m. That's a boat length... Not saying that it can't be addressed in the SIs - but someone will moan.

Dunno how reliable self timing will be - if people CBA to do a PRO, will they bother to time and write the result down somewhere?

Likewise what do you do if an app fails?

Posted By: 423zero
Date Posted: 20 Dec 20 at 11:50pm
Video and trust in your competitors honesty would work, start the recording to coincide with length of race, looking at start/finish line.

-------------
Robert

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 1:36am
I've recorded results from a finish line video. It was an amazingly long winded process. You'd think it would take no longer than real time, but somehow I ended up doing any amount of stopping, restarting, rewinding and fiddling about and it took ages. There was a good sized entry and an indifferent hand held phone video though, with a smaller entry and a decent tripod video it ought not to be quite so hard. Even more disturbing were the number of discrepancies between paper record on the finish boat and the video evidence.

Posted By: Simon Lovesey
Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 8:03am

Sailjuice don't use the trackers for results because there isn't a reliable way of doing it

Yes the trackers are used in the results process.

We take the tracker recorded finish time and lap count,  then compare with the physical scoring sheets.

Having processed many hundred of races in this manner,   I have often seen a big difference in times recorded by different spotters even if they are on the same boat,  ie human error

Trackers have also helped resolve scoring queries and often submitted as evidence by the sailor,  showing how many laps a boat has completed and finishing position  

-------------
http://www.sailracer.org" rel="nofollow - www.sailracer.org
Online Sailing Results, GPS Tracking & Event Management

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 8:53am
Good to hear. I can't imagine how much setup is required to have that running accurately. 

But could you run the event without the use of manual times? Even if everyone took their tracker afloat (I'm guilty of this!)

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 9:34am

Good to hear. I can't imagine how much setup is required to have that running accurately. 

Easy -  online entry list allocates tracker, and start number if split starts -  then you get a report showing finish times and lap count.  

The course needs to be defined within the tracking system so it can work out lap times,  lap counts and finish times etc.  Trackers can be placed on the buoys (if laid),  or  for a growing number of venues we have a database on fixed buoys.  The course can also be pinged using an App.  

But could you run the event without the use of manual times? Even if everyone took their tracker afloat (I'm guilty of this!)

Yes the biggest challenge is people leaving tracker in changing room,  but this is getting better as sailors realise the benefit/importance of carry their tracker afloat.

You could run without manual recording sheets,  but like all methods best to have multiple sources of data.  As suggested you could use a video camera,  which could be automated

One of the benefits of using tracking is the scoring can be done remotely,  I have done this for many events around the world whilst sitting at home.   

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 12:22pm
Is it completely custom built or is everything off the shelf?

Posted By: Oli
Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 3:05pm
apps like motion-x allow you to record your track and upload, or even broadcast where others can also broadcast to the same live feed.

Set the app on each device so they broadcast to the same frequencey and at same interval and then use that as your method of gatheirng results.  easy to see who is ocs and when they finish.  allowing for gps error ask the sailors if you have a close finish to confirm who they crossed with and where in relation to one another.  times ca be taken from there to give py results too.

obviously biggest hurdles are getting people to either set there new phone up to do this or invest in an older device and sim card, plus the waterproof case/bag for it.  i reckon iphone 5 would be a good setup with a cheap pay as you go sim for under £100 per boat.  next hurdle is for them to remember to do it.

i started doing this 10years ago at it was hard to convice people to risk their phone back then and still now its not easy, but its definatley getting into the realms of club racing use.

bonus of broadcast is can be watched by anyone with a link on a computer

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 3:19pm
You could start and finish at the jetty, everyone stand by their boats, synchronised watches, GO, untie boats, set off for start line, do the race, through finish, stop watches when you have tied up and on the bank.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 3:28pm

Is it completely custom built or is everything off the shelf?

Available off the shelf,  for a typical club application £50 per tracker,  PA

• GPS tracker, 
  • Waterproof bag, 
  • NFC tag and electronic tally, 
  • SIM card and mobile data, 
  • Tracking platform,  including web and big screen views etc - live and replay,  leg by leg analytics, 
  • 10 port charging block 

-------------

Posted By: Do Different
Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 4:54pm
No offence Simon and absolutely not trying to hijack.

I have https://raceqs.com on my phone purely for personal interest. It is free as I use it in my limited way and has many features I do not use which include "regatta" I freely admit to knowing nothing further but "just saying".

Edit. Apologies Oli, I didn't properly read your post, I guess we're on a similar track. 

Posted By: Bandin
Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 9:45pm
I was one of the beta testers for SAP Sailing Analytics which used mobile phones.

Whichever software you use (and I'd highly recommend you take a look at the free app Sailracer.net) there is work to do.  I'd say more work than with the old paper route but the playback has its advantages. So long as you have fixed buoys and only have to ping them the once, the workload can be reduced somewhat, but it's still a chore putting in the course and roundings etc then adding all the competitors. It's doable at club level but a ballache unless you have someone who loves the computer side of things but then you may as well just have an OD.

The logistical nightmare of getting everyone to turn up with the app running on their phone and the phone charged was another pita! We gave up and now just do pursuits when we have no OD which just need someone to buzz the start which at times will be one of the competitors.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 10:06pm
I've played with raceqs I thought it looked OK.

I have a "boat" phone that I bought for a bit of video when coaching juniors that also will do me a start sequence and run DSRC etc. Cost £80. Could have gone slightly older model for £70. Waterproof.

No need for a SIM if the club has WIFi, can sync when ashore..

To be fair - there is a massive difference between a SailJuice event and a club round the cans on a Wednesday night.

The problem I have is there could be 8 lasers out plus 3 randoms. The lasers are quite happy with their laser position (even though they big flappy thing changes size and they might want a handicap result on that) but if the none record a time, and nor does 1 of the others... The 2 remaining feel they didn't really race...

Posted By: Sam.Spoons
Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 11:03pm
I have RaceQs and, while I like it a lot, it is not intuitive or easy to use. By far the simplest ways of running races without a RO are to adopt one of the two following approaches :- For one design/scratch races a gate start, the gate boat sets off from the designated start buoy on port (third position in the previous race or throw a dice or two). For handicap racing a pursuit with the fastest boat acting as start timer. No need for complicated and relatively unreliable GPS tracking systems* and everybody knows whether they were in front of or behind the nearest couple of boats.

* RaceQs would have had me missing at least two marks by a few metres in this Sunday's races so you need to reset your fixed mark positions on a race by race basis as in addition to the GPS accuracy the marks themselves move around by a few metres in different wind directions.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"

Date Posted: 22 Dec 20 at 6:35am
Based on extensive experience of using mobile apps and dedicated GPS trackers there are a number of issues with using phones for tracking races,  some of these have been mentioned by others in this post :

• Getting everyone to download,

• App has to be installed,  some people will need help,

• Compatibility issues across different phones,

• Not everyone has a suitable phone,

• Some not prepared to take their £1,000+ smart phone afloat,

• Concerns over using mobile data allowance,

• Massive difference in GPS accuracy across different phone types,

• Battery life -  turn on GPS on your phone at best accuracy and location frequency and most phones will only last a few hours, 

• People forget to turn the tracking app on when they go afloat,  
  •  
  • Not possible to control/configure the GPS app remotely (Most dedicated GPS trackers have a remote control option)

Yes an App may be free*,  but it brings a considerable amount of work to the event organiser and even then probably only 70% success across a fleet for above reasons.  

*The reality is nothing is free,  there are costs involved of running and developing the GPS platforms and servers, so like Strava there are probably will be subscription costs in the future.  

We have come to the conclusion mobile apps are good for the race management aspects required for tracking and occasional boat tracking,  but for serious racing a dedicated GPS tracker is the best way and @ £50 pa not an unreasonable cost,  particularly given all the viewing,  analytical and safety benefits GPS tracking brings,  plus ease of use for the organiser 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Dec 20 at 7:22am
Thanks for all the information everyone, have used a few apps on an old phone. Logistical as Simon says people using their phone is a non starter.

My question was more a curiosity as to whether the technology existed that for general racing other than setting a course the race officer duties could be eliminated - in a mixed fleet. The club buys the trackers and increases the club dues according. Not every member needs a tracker unless off course you sail at a club where there are no boats left in dinghy park on a Sunday morning 

For general racing it sounds that it would be feasible. Everyone gets more races per year. I’ve visited clubs and seen almost as many people running the race as actual sailing which is not healthy long term. 

Obviously each club will have its big races when they won’t have enough tackers and a race team would be required. 

-------------
Tink

Posted By: Bandin
Date Posted: 22 Dec 20 at 9:13am
Regardless of the tracking method you use, the logistics of using an 'automated' system for regular club racing just doesnt make it worthwhile. Even with fixed buoys/marks, the wind direction changes, the startline changes, the course changes, the entries change constantly as another participant comes screeching into the car park at the last minute. Someone has to sit there and input the data. Sort the trackers etc I did this for three years for SAP and it was a pain for small local events. Excluding the ability to playback the racing afterwards and for post race analysis, the old manual method is just far easier for small club racing and uses the same manpower as you're just replacing the OD with a computer operator.

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 22 Dec 20 at 9:16am
Pretty sure more people enjoy being a race officer compared to being a data inputter.

-------------
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Date Posted: 22 Dec 20 at 10:18am
How many clubs have members who would all be happy with electronic systems? I know majority of my club members would prefer flags, hooter and race watches, only electronics we use are a laptop to work out placings.

-------------
Robert

Posted By: Sussex Lad
Date Posted: 22 Dec 20 at 2:03pm
Been using Elec system for at least the last 16yrs. Lights/ hooters, starts/finishes and positions done on a box of tricks. Having done it numerous times I'm in 2 minds about it being easier or more reliable than a pencil and paper. The electronic system needs backing up with pencil and paper for lap times anyway. We have had occasions when the RO didn't back up with hand written time sheets and the electronics system failed....disaster.

The only electronic aid that could be run from the beach or boat that I reckon works is DSRC . Quite reliable, it does everything once you've got the pick list sorted and will export to sailwave. It runs on an andoid phone and will do pursuit and line starts. Instant corrected time results.

DSRC cons: Small screen (but manageable). Some screens difficult to see in sunshine. Need a waterproof phone if run from a small boat. Although the app hoots and shows which flag to wave this does need supplementing with the real thing, so although one person could do it if only sound signals needed, two would be easier if you want flags as well.

The app is a freebee so it's worth trying out at home during the long winter months. 

Posted By: simon hiscocks
Date Posted: 22 Dec 20 at 10:50pm
Hi, There is an app that does this! 

Its called beat racing, I have been involved with its development so I know a little about it and the challenges that automatic race management present. Interestingly most have been covered by various posts already.

When we started developing this app, it had a number of aims, one of which was to be able to go out with your mates, who may or may not have the same boat as you and make a race. 

It wasn't easy, and to be honest it still isn't all that easy but the devlopment continues and it gets easier all the time.

I think Simon Lovesey touched already on the differences between phones and gps accuracy and with this in mind it should not be taken too seriously, rounding results to the nearest 10 seconds might not be too far from a fair conclusion. 

That said with the Beat app it is entirely possible to race differn't classes and get a result with no race officer and no need to have pre set marks or pre set a course, it is all edited in after the race.  - Its not magic but it does take a lot development work in the background.

The app is free and available on both the app and play store. It does a lot more than just create races so it is worth a look.

Search for Beat Racing on the stores or the website is https://beat-racing.co.uk/

-------------
www.shocksailing.com

Posted By: simon hiscocks
Date Posted: 22 Dec 20 at 10:51pm
Search for beat racing on the app stores

https://beat-racing.co.uk/

-------------
www.shocksailing.com

Posted By: Andymac
Date Posted: 23 Dec 20 at 6:38am
Re; accuracy with different devices. Could there be an in built function on an app where, pre race, you go to a designated refererence point (marker bouy) and 'ping' it to zero calibrate?

Date Posted: 23 Dec 20 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Andymac

Re; accuracy with different devices. Could there be an in built function on an app where, pre race, you go to a designated refererence point (marker bouy) and 'ping' it to zero calibrate?

This is a good idea,  but I am not sure it would address the real issue of inconsistency in mobile phone GPS accuracy.

This year I have managed to test numerous different phones (IOS and Android) as GPS trackers from various manufacturers,  across a variety of Apps and seen significant differences in accuracy even for the same phone.  

Firstly the GPS installation will vary according to phone design,  with things like aerial and case design playing significant roles on the physical front.  

Secondly,  GPS is very power hungry and the higher the accuracy the greater the battery drain.  The phone's software will try and compensate,  and perhaps allocate power across a wide range of applications,  which may explain the differences in accuracy for  the same phone over time.

Thirdly,  phones use a variety of methods to work out location,  again to save battery

A phone can be used as a GPS tracker and for casual usage is fine,  BUT a phone is designed to do many different functions,  so will always be a compromise.  For those who want to get the most out of tracking a dedicated GPS tracker is the way to go,  with many units costing less than a phone.  It is interesting to see how many people use a dedicated tracker (eg Garmin) with Strava  

-------------

Posted By: Andymac
Date Posted: 23 Dec 20 at 11:27am
Ah, yes Simon, a dedicated GPS device would avoid a lot of that.
I completely lost site of the fact that I have a Garmin on my bike!
Small, light, cheap, water resistant (proof?). Whilst most may not give a long range transmission (for real time tracking). The sailors would be able to transfer recorded data for submission to race team...
When my son was racing cyclo-cross last season, all the competitors were provided with an electronic tag by the organisers, which recorded lap/split times at finish/designated points.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 20 at 10:29pm
Simon's sailing differs from big standard club racinga in my opinion.

£50 per year... ...how many clubs can afford to increaw membership fees £50. Yes technically they don't need one per member.

There are clubs where that's 50% of membership fee. Where the boats being sailed cost £500. Others where is might cost that for a weekend membership and every sailor has spent that on a new block or rope in the hope of getting the edge on the line.

I've used Strava for non-sailing stuff. Strava, has a number of advantages:

- I can use any phone or a watch

- it's more for training than competing

- I can start with my phone and upgrade later to a watch.

But while a watch is "dedicated" it isn't just tracking. It is a watch. It is giving me pace, distance, time.

Strava doesn't need 0.1second resolution. 100m with 10 second resolution will be fine.

Lap time tags - user a RFID pad rather than GPS. I.e. you run or cycle over a sensor. Doesn't work for boats.

GPS was never designed to give accuracy of 3m or less... There are ways to do it to 0.1m but not. In a disposable device.

Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 6:47am
It’s not £50 though. Cost = (Max racers / club members) x £50

So say a club had 250 members and you want 50 to race at any one time it is £10. I would imagine the ratio of racers to members is much less that looking at most dinghy park s on a Sunday. It will probably cost less than a pint to do less duties- I think most members including the non racing ones would accept that

-------------
Tink

Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 9:58am
It wont be less duties though, you still need exactly the same number of people to run the racing to begin with. 

Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 10:03am

It wont be less duties though, you still need exactly the same number of people to run the racing to begin with. 

The experience from big events is using technology we need less people to actually deliver the event.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 12:18pm
Little puddleducks SC would run on RO, ARO, 2 in a PB and 1 or 2 in the galley. Would that change?

-------------

Posted By: Oli
Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 2:23pm
the level of accuracy a phone can give is more than addequate for club racing, high profile events is another matter, and if your club racing warrants the higher accuracy simon and others systems are there.

gps battery life is a killer for phones, i have used an old ipad 2 and a bluetooth gps unit to do day racing offshore before, this could be an alternative buit havent tested it myself with a phone.

standalone gps units are great if you dont want the "live" features that phones give.

beyond the various limitations all these systems have the biggest is getting mass take up, it has to be simple for the huamn processing the end data and even simpler for the inital users.

Posted By: Grumpycat
Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Little puddleducks SC would run on RO, ARO, 2 in a PB and 1 or 2 in the galley. Would that change?

You knew the answer before you asked the question.

We all know the answer , it’s no . For big events I am sure it is a help but for the average puddle club it’s no help at all, either in making it easier to run the race or the ability to need less people .

Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Grumpycat

We all know the answer , it’s no . For big events I am sure it is a help but for the average puddle club it’s no help at all, either in making it easier to run the race or the ability to need less people .

With the right technology which appears to exist the answer is yes. A nominated PRO can set the course and then actually sail the race, no ARO required. Safety crew can monitor the start line. 

There appears also to be other real positives in that you can post race understand where you could have done better by looking at the plots. I can’t be the only person who would love to understand why that boat 50ft behind at the leeward mark was 50ft ahead at the windward.

-------------
Tink

Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by tink

There appears also to be other real positives in that you can post race understand where you could have done better by looking at the plots. I can’t be the only person who would love to understand why that boat 50ft behind at the leeward mark was 50ft ahead at the windward.

That's why I bought my Garmin Viviactive 3 watch, RaceQs is pretty 'difficult' (it's still in Beta on the watch but the web app is not at all intuitive and has bugs which doesn't seem to save the wind direction when corrected from the auto detected direction after the race. But It's great to replay your race afterwards, especially if your buddy has RQs on his boat too.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 5:42pm
I have blasted past a boat in the doldrums, both going in the same direction, wind has oscillated over becalmed boat and touched surface to power me on, unless I am mistaken?

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 6:16pm

Originally posted by Grumpycat

With the right technology which appears to exist the answer is yes. A nominated PRO can set the course and then actually sail the race, no ARO required. Safety crew can monitor the start line. 

I really didn't know the answer, just my luddite preconceptions! If it's possible to set it up as described then tech savvy youngsters may well prefer methods like this - I can see it working well in a less formal setting, which is where club racing should be heading. From a personal point of view, a pencil and paper is the pinnacle of human communication, but I may have been left behind.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 8:46pm
Paper and pencil not going to crash, flags not going to be 'someone forgot to put them on charge', far less to go wrong. Mobile signal crap at my club, WiFi long way from water.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Paper and pencil not going to crash, flags not going to be 'someone forgot to put them on charge', far less to go wrong. Mobile signal crap at my club, WiFi long way from water.

True but, TBF, you don't need wifi or mobile signal to use RaceQs or Strava...

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 9:48pm
I was trying to flick a 'paper drawing' at work the other day, was thinking of turning it off and on

-------------
Robert

Posted By: maxibuddah
Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 11:02pm
What about those pencils where the lead is broken all the way down? Can’t sharpen those dam things though

-------------
Everything I say is my opinion, honest

Date Posted: 25 Dec 20 at 9:50am

Although if you use a stop watch - it wouldn't be the first time someone accidentally stopped it.

And I've certainly had more than a couple of occasions where the results sheet for a handicap race has been submitted for me to do results with places and no times.

I've also had the situation where the same boat finished twice... Did it go back through the line? Was it 252 and 525 with those annoying digital sail numbers. And if it was which one was which...

I don't think lack of signal is a major problem. You can have a race must be uploaded by X hours after a club race.

Date Posted: 25 Dec 20 at 9:53am

It’s not £50 though. Cost = (Max racers / club members) x £50

So say a club had 250 members and you want 50 to race at any one time it is £10. I would imagine the ratio of racers to members is much less that looking at most dinghy park s on a Sunday. It will probably cost less than a pint to do less duties- I think most members including the non racing ones would accept that

But that should then be divided by total racers. Not total members. Why is the cruising member, the guy who dedicates every weekend to RYA Level 1 instruction or the wife who is in the galley (excuse the blatant stereotyping) - none of whom get any benefit.

Date Posted: 25 Dec 20 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Sussex Lad

Been using Elec system for at least the last 16yrs. Lights/ hooters, starts/finishes and positions done on a box of tricks. Having done it numerous times I'm in 2 minds about it being easier or more reliable than a pencil and paper. The electronic system needs backing up with pencil and paper for lap times anyway.

What do you back up the paper system with. 2 people. 3 people. Dictaphone.

We have had occasions when the RO didn't back up with hand written time sheets and the electronics system failed....disaster.The only electronic aid that could be run from the beach or boat that I reckon works is DSRC

I agree DSRC is decent. Takes a bit of getting to know. I've had the results sheet blew away in the wind, dropped in water.. so even paper isn't perfect.

Although the app hoots and shows which flag to wave this does need supplementing with the real thing, so although one person could do it if only sound signals needed, two would be easier if you want flags as well.

You are doing it wrong ;-)

So firstly - hoot through Bluetooth speaker or wifi relay. So the only job left would be pulling up a flag. That's 1 man work.

Even without DSRC we can 1 man run a race start as long as calling the line is not too stressful.

Use a clock with seconds on it rather than a stop watch. (Or set watch going 1 minute early). I prefer a radio controlled clock... Worst case scenario if the clock dies the time is still a known time. (Start on the minute)

With a manual horn, we can hoist a flag either with a slip not keeping it rolled so horn with left hand, tug slip knot with right. Or if the flag gantry is low, just hold it with hand... Sailors quite like the hand being up holding it rolled, as it signals that a signal is about to happen...

Flag drop by gravity. Undo the cleat. Hold halyard in hand. Release when hoot

Date Posted: 25 Dec 20 at 10:24am
Can't help but think there could be an improved PY method here too... Gather data that could pull in wind speed, sea state data etc, can probably work out if capsized etc.

But perhaps the answer is to relax SIs to permit carrying a phone for tracking either with or without allowing use for Comms. Encouraging a single app so can compare race. Possibly with some race feedback... 'john do you know about the 9 of diamonds?' 'everyone on the starboard end of the line did lousy..'

Yes you may know that from the race. But you might not. J don't often know what others did, I'm lucky if I know what I did!!

If 70% were using a tracker then pushing the other 30% becomes easier...

If you look at something like Parkrun... They don't use an app. They could. But 10 years ago they couldn't. Nowadays plenty of people taking up running might start with a phone and migrate to a Garmin watch...

Date Posted: 25 Dec 20 at 11:45am
Originally posted by polc1410

Can't help but think there could be an improved PY method here too... Gather data that could pull in wind speed, sea state data etc, can probably work out if capsized etc.

Exactly -  GPS data can help enormously with calculating PY,  with so much data and the ability to drill down to leg times etc,  potential to produce a far more representative handicap 

-------------

Posted By: Old bloke
Date Posted: 25 Dec 20 at 1:48pm
Forum Rule, no mention of handicap unfairness during the Christmas Ceasefire

Date Posted: 25 Dec 20 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Simon Lovesey

Exactly -  GPS data can help enormously with calculating PY,  with so much data and the ability to drill down to leg times etc,  potential to produce a far more representative handicap 

Our fantastic sport has gone from hulls of solid wood, ply, GRP, foam sandwich and carbon. Masts from wood, alloy and carbon. Sails of cotton, Dacron and all sorts of films and laminates. I could go on about fittings, ropes, what we wear. 

But despite the technology being available many would prefer labour intensive (error prone) flags, pencil and paper. 

-------------
Tink

Date Posted: 25 Dec 20 at 3:49pm

[---]Our fantastic sport has gone from hulls of solid wood, ply, GRP, foam sandwich and carbon. Masts from wood, alloy and carbon. Sails of cotton, Dacron and all sorts of films and laminates. I could go on about fittings, ropes, what we wear. 

But despite the technology being available many would prefer labour intensive (error prone) flags, pencil and paper. 

Although they haven't necessarily tried an alternative and may well have opposed GRP, aluminium / carbon spars and Mylar sails when introduced for their class...

And I'd bet there are plenty who do t even know what flags mean what they just know they go on the third hoot or x mins after the lasers etc.

There are runners who say all you need is a wrist watch and runners who say anything but a Garmin something-or-other is not even running.

It maybe needs the "business case" setting out... Like "we tried this method for a year... This is what we found" ideally with numbers like "we got 2 more people each week racing, we got 10 less results queries, we published results X hours/days/weeks/months sooner"

Santa brought me a copy of Club Sailor: from back to front. I've only read part 1 so far... But it's clear the author feels club sailors are being missed as a target, and it would strike me this is the same situation... Simon's trackers will be good at events and big very organised clubs. A stop watch is fine for a beginner. What's the solution for the gap between the two and especially what is the solution without using loads of volunteer resources. In covid times being close to other people especially the more vintage members is risky... While you can learn lots from the more experienced member and watching a race rather than just doing it. But you can also learn some of that replaying the race digitally...

Date Posted: 25 Dec 20 at 4:46pm
Club sailor is a great book and so refreshing to have a book aimed at us Sunday warriors. On my job list to read again

-------------
Tink

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 25 Dec 20 at 7:54pm

What do you back up the paper system with. 2 people. 3

My experience is that if electronic recording goes wrong it goes comprehensively wrong and you are completely stuffed, but if paper recording goes even very badly wrong (short of actually losing the sheet of paper) then it's usually possible to salvage something.

Date Posted: 25 Dec 20 at 8:32pm
Have had the sheet be blown away or dropped in the water. For big events we would have dual recording but not club racing.

Have had handicap races recorded with positions and no times.

Have had watches stopped and no-one notes the actual time so best you can do is ask the first finisher if they know their time and go from that..

All can be got round. But for club racing.. with light hands ... And only do it once or twice a year guys... Things go wrong.

Date Posted: 25 Dec 20 at 9:45pm

Club sailor is a great book and so refreshing to have a book aimed at us Sunday warriors. On my job list to read again

I have it, it's an excellent book and the author is a regular on here. I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning the other book for the club sailor "Start To Win" by Eric Twiname, I have had a copy for 30+ years and bought 'Club Sailor' A couple of years ago, the two complement each other well.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 26 Dec 20 at 6:20pm
I think a big part of running club racing is the results. For all of you that have used sailwave will probably all confirm just how difficult it is to setup, use and publish. The only reliable way I've found of getting people to input results is to use the "sail no wizard" and even that goes wrong 90% of the time. Have you ever tried to get someone to upload a set of results via a csv file? 

In my opinion half the problems of running racing using any form of technology which doesn't record simple elapsed times or using a clock with a start time and finish times (in my opinion this is much harder as you have to worry about getting another set of digits right when writing them down or inputting into the pc) come from getting the average joe to put a set of results together. Because quite frankly I'm peeved off from doing it every other weekend and not having a lunch time.

Sailwave has its benefits though. The preset scoring which changes quickly between long series and short series. The ability to upload PY's easily and import competitor lists from throughout the season so you don't have to add a ton of new boats each week. It can also upload to their server and link it to your website so if you're like me and have not a scooby about that sort of thing you can still get them online within seconds of inputting the results. We also had the Lasers for an event this year in which they wanted the results in Sailwave which because we're already using it makes it about a million times easier to do for them. 

For those of you not using Sailwave to do your results how are you doing them? Why aren't you using Sailwave? How do you envisage the results process while using technology like trackers without leaving it to one poor b**tard to sort out each week?

Date Posted: 26 Dec 20 at 7:42pm
A well structured CSV imports fine into Sailwave. So results from DSRC can be done fairly easily. So if you were building a tracker upload page that took tracker feeds - you'd design its output to include a CSV file for Sailwave.

That said... You'd also design it to host the results and the series and offer all of sailwave's lovely features.

I'm 95% convinced that once a Sailwave file is built, there is so little that is hard to do with it, the reason people don't learn it, is not because it is hard, but because it means they don't have to do it...

There are a couple of other similar solutions and obviously Mr Lovesy would rather you all used his tracker and solution...

The complexity of sailing results (handicaps, discards, penalties) is so much more than almost any other sport. That meant early solutions like Sailwave were inevitable. Free solutions were always likely to win (if you wouldn't pay £50 a year for results software, you aren't paying £50 per tracker...) ... But it does mean that when they have shot down a slightly odd development pathway (Sailwave is written in some wierd coding language) the community can't improve it...

The ideal (in my opinion) would be a community developed DSRC, Sailwave, Tracker package. Because then the limits are the technology not what you do with the data...

Date Posted: 26 Dec 20 at 9:30pm
There's more too it than just clicking import though. Imagine doing this once a year and how easily it is to not understand even the most comprehendible set of instructions;

Finding the file from what ever device you've used, whether that means transferring it to the pc via stick/plugging in the said device/ pinging it over and saving the file in the correct location or just dumping it anywhere they can find on the desktop. I doubt its something most people do on the daily

Then you need to go through the wall of text Sailwave presents when uploading via CSV, ensure you don't overwrite any existing results or post into the wrong race as this then becomes an issue the results manager will have to then sort (far too common by the way!!) any overwritten results may never be discovered.

Mapping the CSV to use the correct info and ignore the irrelevant stuff such as name/class etc as any spelling mistakes or how its written will cock the whole thing up (Sailwave could easily sort this problem out by having it remember what the mappings were on the last use. But I guess all it takes is someone to click the wrong button and no results would be being posted that day unless someone knew how to sort it.)

Any incorrect info on the CSV such as wrong sail numbers etc will then create classes which confuse most people when it prevents them publishing the results (compared to using say the sail no. wizard you notice these issues as they appear and correct any minor mistakes before creating a result rather than just dumping a ton of problems into the table)

Automatic GPS results sounds great and the £50 a tracker per annum sounds fairly good deal for the package but my club wouldn't go for it. The alternatives all sound like compromise, nothing is complete and all involves a ton of work arounds and problems. Pen and paper beats them all hands down for use ability for the less competent, and secure of any technical hiccups

Don't get me wrong this isn't a case of complaining about Sailwave as I don't think you could make a better system for it. More of a complaining about dealing with sailing results in general and making sure its presented in a professional and manner which minimises the amount of time I have to spend doing it 

Date Posted: 26 Dec 20 at 11:19pm

There's more too it than just clicking import though. Imagine doing this once a year and how easily it is to not understand even the most comprehendible set of instructions;
Finding the file from what ever device you've used, whether that means transferring it to the pc via stick/plugging in the said device/ pinging it over and saving the file in the correct location or just dumping it anywhere they can find on the desktop. I doubt its something most people do on the daily

So better would be that the import process of the trackers just built the results. If it is to know the course, where the line sits, it doesn't feel a leap of faith that it can give a race result. Once you have one result its not a massive task to join the results in a series.

Then you need to go through the wall of text Sailwave presents when uploading via CSV, ensure you don't overwrite any existing results or post into the wrong race as this then becomes an issue the results manager will have to then sort (far too common by the way!!) any overwritten results may never be discovered.

Use of git as a store for the files with automated commits would mean changes can be undone (you could do similar with cloud stores but not so easy to spot people meddling in your files!)

Mapping the CSV to use the correct info and ignore the irrelevant stuff such as name/class etc as any spelling mistakes or how its written will cock the whole thing up (Sailwave could easily sort this problem out by having it remember what the mappings were on the last use.

Your tracker download needs to use the names Sailwave defaults to and only export the right stuff. A unique sailor Id and boat Id feel the only correct way...

But I guess all it takes is someone to click the wrong button and no results would be being posted that day unless someone knew how to sort it.)
Any incorrect info on the CSV such as wrong sail numbers etc will then create classes which confuse most people when it prevents them publishing the results (compared to using say the sail no. wizard you notice these issues as they appear and correct any minor mistakes before creating a result rather than just dumping a ton of problems into the table)

Options:

Print the results sheet and type it into Sailwave just like a PRO handing the paper over. No badly written times or numbers. You'll still get typos... 29,03 doesn't give you a 29.03/29:03 time. 229:03 doesn't either! Someone with a keen eye can unlock those. Or the sailor or their arch enemy will possibly report it. 29.3 may be a lot harder.

Sailwave is more transparent about what it is about to do... Been a while since I imported. But it could easily say
The following new competitors will be created... It may even be possible to look for possible similar matches...

You post the race result 'live' but not the series result. You let someone who knows what they are doing import the results and post them. They don't need to be at the club as they can download the file online.

Automatic GPS results sounds great and the £50 a tracker per annum sounds fairly good deal for the package but my club wouldn't go for it. The alternatives all sound like compromise, nothing is complete and all involves a ton of work arounds and problems. Pen and paper beats them all hands down for use ability for the less competent, and secure of any technical hiccups
Don't get me wrong this isn't a case of complaining about Sailwave as I don't think you could make a better system for it. More of a complaining about dealing with sailing results in general and making sure its presented in a professional and manner which minimises the amount of time I have to spend doing it [/DIV

I think the assumption that paper results are actually right is a flaw though. We've all had the big event with two spotters recording 5th and 6th in opposite orders. The time results written as 29:43 30:59 30:08 31:15.

It sounds like people who have tried to compare video or sat to pen and paper have found 10 second anomalies. How many boat lengths is that?

I hand control of my result to some old duffer on the committee boat who hasn't done it for a year. When he cocks it up, he shrugs and says "does it really matter if you came last or second last (that is a genuine quote)
.) Yes it matters! I know I came at least second last maybe even third... I know I wasn't last but you couldn't be @r$£d to write my result down right. Hand back the responsibility to *me* and it is up to *me* to make my app work. If *I* screw that up that's no difference betweeto me sailing the wrong course etc.

I want to see the head to head comparison:

£50/pa
Android app (club can buy £70 waterproof mobile phones - no recurring costs) [need that for each app]
Possibly Garmin watch apps (I see RaceQs now has an app)
Paper

I want to know how many discrepancies are identified. Which is considered "right".. I want to know which the sailor prefers and I want to know which reduces "staff" (aka volunteer) time. It probably needs a year of a club doing a A:B comparison for *club racing*. But that can't be some grand club with loads of resources...

Then how the results are handled from the app is almost a seperate issue... But. Pretty sure that could be automated if the demand exists...

Disclaimer: I haven't used any app in anger *yet*... but I think it's very likely that next year I will do some RaceQs replayable races and will also look at beat racing... RaceQs seems to be quite well thought through to allow use as a training aid / virtual bar discussion of why Joe Bloggs beat me... Which in COVID times feels rather helpful... I can turn up sail, speak to no-one and go home and debate with my rivals what I did right / wrong online....

Posted By: Do Different
Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 7:56am
Six pages of making a really good case for first past the post Class racing over stop watch Handicap format.

Admittedly buying an App and GPS would maybe cost less than another boat but perhaps the old duffers who can't use sail wave but can count boats past a flag know something.Wink

Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Do Different

perhaps the old duffers who can't use sail wave but can count boats past a flag know something.Wink

I have little doubt that they know that if they make it look like they tried but messed up, we won't rush to ask them to do it again...

They were supposed to time the boats past.. not count them past...

Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 10:39am
And then you wonder why clubs find it difficult to get race officers. It's nothing to do with the format or the methods, its that they get whinged at for being out of date old suffers who are total sh*t at what they do.

I'd not come back to do more, either. Sounds to me that maybe a little more volunteer appreciation and a smidge of volunteer training would go a f**k of a lot further towards accurate results than any computer programme. Clubs are about people - all of them. Mind you'll need the computer once you've driven all the volunteers away.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 12:07pm
They don't get whinged at!

They don't turn up - no-one reminded them. (40 years ago it was in a paper yearbook that they got 6 months before the duty, now they get emailed, they click a link to confirm they will attend, they get another email to remind them a few days before, but they still forget)

They turn up not having read the notes for race officers

They turn up and run what to sailors seem like 3 decent faces, only for the scorer to be left with a results sheet that is useless (who gets the blame - "the scorer hasn't published results from yesterday yet"

They change how the races run to suit themselves. SIs say slow handicap is 3 minutes after fast, but no fast turned up so we started slow. That's not what the SIs say.

But no-one whinges at them because they are grateful they showed up (if they showed up). Because ultimately they are 'volunteers' although the kind of volunteer who has been told they have to volunteer as it is a condition of membership.

But the consequence of poor volunteers is the race is rubbish or the result never happens or is unfair because half the fleet knew they were to start on 6 minute not 9. Sailors become disillusioned and stop racing. Reducing the number of "volunteers".

I don't do enough of other sports to know - but how many other sports have volunteers who have to give up the sport to volunteer for a week ?

And those who are actually any good at it, end up being asked repeatedly to help, for no reward. As someone above said "no lunch" because you were doing results. Last home because you out the RIBs away. Whatever it may be... Yet if we suggest something that might reduce the burden it is our fault for either not training enough others to do the job (yeah - when we used to run training for Club RO - 6 people turned up who were the same 6 who came the year before who are all absolutely fine at it) or for wanting to introduce technology that will exclude the old duffers...

Come on... Maybe none of us should sail with this new fangled technology like fibreglass and we should stop using kicking straps because Elvstrom has taken all the skill out of racing...

Honestly convince me that in 20 years time we will still be recording race results on paper with a pencil and a stop watch? If not... I'd rather be on the team who develops the solution than sitting around I. 20 years time wondering where I was left behind.

Volunteering is 1960's stuff. We need to move with the times. You get sailors are increasingly time poor but cash "rich". In 20 years some of the old duffers won't be around. Their you get replacements will be the new old duffers but who will have replaced them? The 20 and 30year olds will have taken up other sports instead. Perhaps they will still be sailing... But in different ways. Speed challenges? How fast can you make the boat go on your GPS ? We see this in windsurfing where racing windsurfers are a fairly small bunch. We might not think that's a big deal... But racing forces you to sail in all directions... Windsurfers seem to love reaching...

Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 2:40pm

Speed challenges? How fast can you make the boat go on your GPS ? We see this in windsurfing where racing windsurfers are a fairly small bunch. We might not think that's a big deal... But racing forces you to sail in all directions... Windsurfers seem to love reaching...

I raced windsurfers for 25+ years and the windsurfing course racers (basically the same as dinghy racing) have said the same things to their reaching brethren to try to persuade them to try racing and they give exactly the same reasons as non racing dinghy sailors for not racing.

FWIW reaching up and down in a good breeze is fun, it's what I do when I'm out for a blast* (rather than racing or, occasionally Embarrassed, practicing). Plus there isn't the culture of racing amongst windsurfers, most of whom don't even belong to a club.

* what the board manufacturers describe as 'freeriding' and, unlike dinghies, there are boards specifically designed for it.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 2:41pm
At my club, OOD does everything, opens and closes the club, organises and runs the racing, course setting, starts the races, ends the races and does the race sheets, only safety done by someone else. Can't see how any of the systems mentioned can help at my club.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 3:46pm
Totally agree , it’s very similar at my club. We run races with teams of three, one race officer and two in the safety boat. In fact it’s even easier as we sail pursuits most of the time and have a m/c that does the start times for us. 
My club and I are not against new technology, that’s why we have a m/c for starting and use sail wave to work out handicap results on the couple times a year we have them.
 But like 423zero I fail to see how any of the systems mentioned can help my club run races easier or with less people . 

Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 4:20pm
No reason OOD has to open (or rather no reason OOD can't do safety).

If the race is self starting, you only need the end positions for a pursuit race. Not 100% certain if any of the systems can do pursuits but I don't see why if you know every boat GPS position, you know start was 11:00am and race duration is 60mins then all you need is to be able to pull the positions at 12:00, work out who is first and work back... Sounds simple enough. Harder if lapping tales place but provided enough data is known... Pretty sure the software can do it.

So that means you can save 1/3rd of the (volunteer) "staff"...

And perhaps fairer... As how do you take positions for the whole fleet in a pursuit... A rib racing back through the fleet? A line people have to cross laid at the lead boat? If it takes 5 minutes to get there from the end of race duration then that two boat length lead I had over the faster PY boat is gone through no fault of my own...

Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Speed challenges? How fast can you make the boat go on your GPS ? We see this in windsurfing where racing windsurfers are a fairly small bunch. We might not think that's a big deal... But racing forces you to sail in all directions... Windsurfers seem to love reaching...

I raced windsurfers for 25+ years and the windsurfing course racers (basically the same as dinghy racing) have said the same things to their reaching brethren to try to persuade them to try racing and they give exactly the same reasons as non racing dinghy sailors for not racing.
FWIW reaching up and down in a good breeze is fun, it's what I do when I'm out for a blast* (rather than racing or, occasionally Embarrassed, practicing). Plus there isn't the culture of racing amongst windsurfers, most of whom don't even belong to a club.
* what the board manufacturers describe as 'freeriding' and, unlike dinghies, there are boards specifically designed for it.

That was kinda my point...

If you don't race in the current way you don't need to belong to a club. A club becomes a beach to launch from and possibly some safety provision. The art of sailing becomes diluted as people will stop sailing to windward and down wind which are hard and boring. They will reach about for fun and speed.

"Proper" racing will become the thing other sailors and clubs do... And likely a huge ball ache process as people will want it done "properly" with laid marks and judge boats etc.

Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 5:08pm
This year we have scrapped the traditional "duty" system as too many people have been unable to make it to the club. Racers and people who feel like it have stepped in, and racing has run fine. I'm sure there have been difficult to read names and a few dodgy timings, but everything seems fo have made it up onto sailwave. I'm sure it could have been done electronically, but I can't see how that changes the relationship between the race committee and the members.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 5:09pm
My point was more that probably less than 10% of windsurfers race but windsurf racing still happens, there's less of it than dinghy racing, but there has never been the same culture of racing amongst the majority of windsurfers. Back in the 60's I'd say maybe 50% of dinghy sailors who sail regularly race regularly. But in both cases participation has fallen significantly since their heyday (60's for dinghies 80's for windsurfers).

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 5:24pm
Interesting I couldn't have said that windsurfing participants had reduced.

My fear remains that people increasingly have less free time and giving up a weekend to run racing for someone else will be low priority. Which reduces the numbers of people who do it, which instead of 1-2 per year becomes 2-3 then 3-4 and suddenly it isn't sustainable. So number of races reduces (I hear this at lots of clubs - "we now only race every second week")... Suddenly a windy weekend means you are racing monthly. Busy that weekend you might only race once in 6 weeks. It's no longer a regular activity. You de-skill. Your performance reduces. You loose interest....

Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 5:34pm

This year we have scrapped the traditional "duty" system as too many people have been unable to make it to the club. Racers and people who feel like it have stepped in, and racing has run fine. I'm sure there have been difficult to read names and a few dodgy timings, but everything seems fo have made it up onto sailwave. I'm sure it could have been done electronically, but I can't see how that changes the relationship between the race committee and the members.

This year has been very different.

People wanted to race. There were more people "at home" - no holidays, weddings festivals etc. People became time rich (or at least those not doing overtime at Hospitals - we seem to have an unusually large NHS membership!) and this year has been about pulling together and finding a way.

But this year has also been about saying can we do it differently. Do we need two people on a RIB? Do we need 2 on the committee boat? Do we need to have 60 minute races or would we prefer 20minute races?

But... Turning up not knowing if you will be racing or might have to step in as OoD is not a great way to keep members... So the question remains - CA. The "OoD" race? The only way that is possible (and to actually get results) is with tech. But why not ?   

We had unofficial racing happening in the laser fleet before we had safety cover back on. They met on Wednesday night. They rabbit started.. they didn't capture results or post them..the racers on the night knew who won. But there was no series and no correction for Rig and no way for another sailor to participate in a different boat and get a result...

Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 9:33pm

Interesting I couldn't have said that windsurfing participants had reduced.

I'd say windsurfing has declined in 30 years more than dinghy sailing has in 60, the first Windsurfer Worlds in 1976 had 456 entries!

My fear remains that people increasingly have less free time and giving up a weekend to run racing for someone else will be low priority. Which reduces the numbers of people who do it, which instead of 1-2 per year becomes 2-3 then 3-4 and suddenly it isn't sustainable. So number of races reduces (I hear this at lots of clubs - "we now only race every second week")... Suddenly a windy weekend means you are racing monthly. Busy that weekend you might only race once in 6 weeks. It's no longer a regular activity. You de-skill. Your performance reduces. You loose interest....

This is a risk certainly and, while it also applies to other sports, the effort need to go sailing for the day is greater, and more time consuming, than say cycling or running which you can do and get a good workout in a couple of hours or less. The duties thing is more a matter of discipline and commitment but I get what you mean, when I was chairman of the windsurfing club, by the end of my tenure I attended more committee meetings than I did days sailing in the year.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 10:12pm
I think a club is in trouble if they can't get three people to run races, serious club meetings need to be called.

-------------
Robert

Posted By: iGRF
Date Posted: 27 Dec 20 at 10:29pm
Lots of racing windsurfers went on to become the performance skiff generation of the nineties and noughties. Wind surfers also became kitesurfers and any other action sport which caught their attention.

Winsurfers were totally neglected by their Governing body, who failed to fullfil their promise of opening up the waters of the country to them and many clubs closed their doors, to this day they've never been granted a racing yardstick. The Bullsh*t claim that their speed differential was too great put to the failed test of hypocrisy by foiling.

As for racing those of us that persevered down the years made do with rabbit starts and remembering where we came and who was in front and behind us.

There are growing classes still in other parts of the world(Kona, Windsurfer & LT) but every attempt at introducing them is frustrated by guess who. Unless the class was instantly Olympic, zero interest is shown, and it is f'king embarrassing when one shows up they've no idea about yet suddenly all their coaches become 'experts'.

So being the b**tard step child its always been, Windsurfing exists on the fringes at grass roots organisation level, goes nowhere near sailing clubs except on the odd distance event like the Round Hayling so hardly surprising it declined.

But now dingy racing of which I've only been interested in since relatively recently is also under similar threats from more of the same, rampant disinterest in grass roots, money only for yoof which is then discarded at age levels and jobs for the boys on the Olympic gravy train, heaven help them if sailing loses its Olympic slot.

So yes, we're all pretty much f**ked in the margins.

-------------
https://www.corekite.co.uk/snow-accessories-11-c.asp" rel="nofollow - Snow Equipment Deals      https://www.corekite.co.uk" rel="nofollow - New Core Kite website

Date Posted: 28 Dec 20 at 10:35am
Originally posted by iGRF

Lots of racing windsurfers went on to become the performance skiff generation of the nineties and noughties. Wind surfers also became kitesurfers and any other action sport which caught their attention.

Winsurfers were totally neglected by their Governing body, who failed to fullfil their promise of opening up the waters of the country to them and many clubs closed their doors, to this day they've never been granted a racing yardstick. The Bullsh*t claim that their speed differential was too great put to the failed test of hypocrisy by foiling.

As for racing those of us that persevered down the years made do with rabbit starts and remembering where we came and who was in front and behind us.

There are growing classes still in other parts of the world(Kona, Windsurfer & LT) but every attempt at introducing them is frustrated by guess who. Unless the class was instantly Olympic, zero interest is shown, and it is f'king embarrassing when one shows up they've no idea about yet suddenly all their coaches become 'experts'.

So being the b**tard step child its always been, Windsurfing exists on the fringes at grass roots organisation level, goes nowhere near sailing clubs except on the odd distance event like the Round Hayling so hardly surprising it declined.

But now dingy racing of which I've only been interested in since relatively recently is also under similar threats from more of the same, rampant disinterest in grass roots, money only for yoof which is then discarded at age levels and jobs for the boys on the Olympic gravy train, heaven help them if sailing loses its Olympic slot.

So yes, we're all pretty much f**ked in the margins.

I almost agree with all of this (and have been saying most of it here in the frozen north for 25 years)... Angry 

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 28 Dec 20 at 12:01pm
Do you really think 'Windsurfing' could have been organised? I have never seen any evidence that windsurfers have/had any interest in joining anything other than their mates for a jolly, would be like trying to Herd cats.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 28 Dec 20 at 12:37pm

Do you really think 'Windsurfing' could have been organised? I have never seen any evidence that windsurfers have/had any interest in joining anything other than their mates for a jolly, would be like trying to Herd cats.

Yes, it could (to a point), but it was handled very badly by the 'governing bodies. It is different to dinghies insomuch as 'recreational windsurfers' mostly don't join clubs* or support 'governing bodies' whereas a fair percentage of non-racing dinghy sailors do. But the 10% that race windsurfers do, mostly, belong to some kind if organisation.

* I was chairman of a NW windsurfing club for a number of years which has been around since the early '80s and is, in many ways, similar to a typical small dinghy club in that it holds a lease on it's water, foreshore and club buildings, the main difference is that nearly all the members are non-racers. Back in the '80's it was a strong racing club with club racing on a Thursday night in Div 1 and later Raceboards. Over the years we produced a couple of Olympic hopefuls, several National Champions and at least one World Champion. But even then only around 10% of the membership raced regularly.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Posted By: Mozzy
Date Posted: 28 Dec 20 at 4:38pm
I've just taken up windsurfing. Normally if it was too windy to sail I'd not bother going to the club. But with alternatives restricted loads more people we out at HISC on boards when the breeze became too much to sail. We had 50+ windsurfers smashing up and down the flat channel, so instead of sitting ashore I bought a board at the end of November lockdown. 

4 sails in and I can do over 20 knots and get in the foot straps and harness.  Drag racing mates in the flat channel is about as much as I'll ever do. But weather wise I think it will compliment cycling and sailing. 

But, for me, dinghy racing is what makes sailing fun in a wide range of conditions. The tactics and strategy of dinghy racing just outstrips all other sports IMO and the beauty of it is you still get that adrenalin rush from the race even in tame conditions. 

The downside is the set up for a race needs to be somewhat more specific to produce that 'tension' of the race. And the time investment for a beginner to get to the stage where they fully immerse themselves in all the tactics and strategy see many drop away. I think these are the two biggest challenges dinghy sailing faces. 

Date Posted: 28 Dec 20 at 5:19pm
I think the story could have been different had boards been awarded yardsticks and clubs encouraged to permit participation. There are no 'Windsurfers' or Dinghy Sailors or Kitesurfers or whatever, we're all the same people enjoying the wind and water in whatever means takes our fancy.

Dinghy racing to me has just been an extension of the skillset I have enjoyed for years racing boards, the tactics are slightly different and the sensation can be a little dull and confound all the bloody ropes, but I love it just the same and think it can carry me beyond the occasional fears I get of pulled muscles on boards stuck somewhere offshore and in pain trying to get back, at least with a boat you can fall into it and jiggle your way back.

I do so hate the indifference shown to us at grass roots, the RYA was never great, but God it was Oh so much better back in the day, before commercialisation and 'professionalism' took its toll. They have missed so many tricks by ignoring board sports and the world could have been so much better for organised activity with a little more vision and co operation with the various supply trades as we had back in the day.

But hell, it all pales in the face of Covid, I wonder just how it's all going to end.

-------------
https://www.corekite.co.uk/snow-accessories-11-c.asp" rel="nofollow - Snow Equipment Deals      https://www.corekite.co.uk" rel="nofollow - New Core Kite website

Date Posted: 28 Dec 20 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by iGRF

I think the story could have been different had boards been awarded yardsticks and clubs encouraged to permit participation. There are no 'Windsurfers' or Dinghy Sailors or Kitesurfers or whatever, we're all the same people enjoying the wind and water in whatever means takes our fancy.

Yup ClapClapClap

Dinghy racing to me has just been an extension of the skillset I have enjoyed for years racing boards, the tactics are slightly different and the sensation can be a little dull and confound all the bloody ropes, but I love it just the same and think it can carry me beyond the occasional fears I get of pulled muscles on boards stuck somewhere offshore and in pain trying to get back, at least with a boat you can fall into it and jiggle your way back.

I went the other way, and then back again, but exactly the same sentiments. 

I do so hate the indifference shown to us at grass roots, the RYA was never great, but God it was Oh so much better back in the day, before commercialisation and 'professionalism' took its toll. They have missed so many tricks by ignoring board sports and the world could have been so much better for organised activity with a little more vision and co operation with the various supply trades as we had back in the day.

Yup Angry 

But hell, it all pales in the face of Covid, I wonder just how it's all going to end.

I'm just trying to keep optimistic, nothing else to do. There's a vaccine, there are better treatments, and people will get more sensible so things will improve.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 28 Dec 20 at 6:26pm
600,000 doses in just under a month, ten months six million doses, need to substantially increase, will probably get it done towards the end of the year, 2022, should be back to normal.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 28 Dec 20 at 9:29pm
But, IIRC, we only need to vaccinate 9% of the population to achieve 81% reduction in transmission. TBF, I can't remember the source of that nugget as it was a good few days ago but I am pretty sure it was science based.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 28 Dec 20 at 10:20pm
Sam, think you have got sums back to front.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 28 Dec 20 at 11:36pm
I must admit I was surprised how low the vaccination percentage was to achieve that reduction but it was definitely that way round. As I said I can't remember the source but if I do I'll post.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 29 Dec 20 at 7:48am

600,000 doses in just under a month, ten months six million doses, need to substantially increase, will probably get it done towards the end of the year, 2022, should be back to normal.

600k doses in 12 days I think. First dose was 8th December, the 600k figure is to week ending 20th Dec.

There are many limiting factors. But at 29th December that was the original 50 hospitals that received stock and were then distributing it.

Modelling anything based on that first few weeks is irrelevant.

Date Posted: 29 Dec 20 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

But, IIRC, we only need to vaccinate 9% of the population to achieve 81% reduction in transmission. TBF, I can't remember the source of that nugget as it was a good few days ago but I am pretty sure it was science based.

Yeah you are gonna need to find a reliable reference
For that because that's not 'normal' in terms of numbers. So either it's a misquote or it isn't the whole story...

Possibilities could be 9% of population by age could account for 81% of deaths /hospital admissions. I don't know but that seems possible. So vaccination of 9% could reduce hospital admissions by that much.

Reduction in transmission by 81% sounds good. But... If that reduces R by 81% that would be impressive. More possible it reduces it to 81% of its previous level. So an R of 2.3 reduces to 1.8, and It has been suggested the new variant has an R > 4 (with no mitigation). *But* R is currently maybe 1.2 nationwide (worse in the bottom corner).   So if that was the case, you can get R below 1.

Getting R below 1, with all the current mitigations, and stopping the oldies getting sick means you can stop worrying about the youngsters so much (although it's still a horrid disease if you get symptoms and for some recovery is slow and a small proportion don't recover). But on a population basis which is what government cares about and therefore what affects our sport - R <1, excess deaths close to 0, hospitals not exceeding capacity are the three things that matter.

Date Posted: 29 Dec 20 at 8:20am
Reading about it, no one knows yet. It depends upon whether the vaccine reduces the symptoms, so leaving people able to spread it, or whether it stops it completely. Apparantly tests are ongoing. But even high estimates are for a 60% reduction of a 4th wave.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Dec 20 at 10:10am
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32318-7/fulltext
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9rKYi_3y7QIVwuvtCh2HyQ1YEAAYASACEgK4bPD_BwE

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 29 Dec 20 at 10:24am
Removed Smile

-------------
Robert

Posted By: NickM99
Date Posted: 29 Dec 20 at 12:26pm
(post deleted)

Date Posted: 30 Dec 20 at 6:20pm
Back on topic, this is looking less relevant for most of us with 75% of the country in tier 4 from tomorrow night. The RYA page says WRT racing "In tier 4 organised sporting activity is not permitted, except for under-18s and disabled people." &amp;#128577;

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 30 Dec 20 at 7:38pm
Biggest issue for me will be restarting, probably have been a year since I last sailed, (assuming sailing starts properly at my club by April), I have found other things to do.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 30 Dec 20 at 9:04pm

Biggest issue for me will be restarting, probably have been a year since I last sailed, (assuming sailing starts properly at my club by April), I have found other things to do.

I feel for you, but I do think you are very unusual in not sailing for that length of time .
I think I have missed about two months worth of sailing.But then again I sailed at every opportunity at my club.  In fact I even went sailing when we could only pleasure sail which is something I never normally do lol .
In fact a lot of clubs have even reported an increase of people taking part in races .
Fingers crossed the vaccines work as hoped and we can return to something like normal life by summer 2021 .

Date Posted: 30 Dec 20 at 10:40pm

Biggest issue for me will be restarting, probably have been a year since I last sailed,.

What you need is a nice new minisail project, I've got just the donor boat to get you started (again) lovely newish sail, one of those seesaw plank seat things like the canoe. I've even painted the centreboard red as I think its a colour that would suit you and is of course fast.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 20 at 10:10am
Thanks for the offer, no where to put it at the moment. Why red?

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 31 Dec 20 at 10:17am
Goes with Robert, Robert the Red.. and everyone knows red's fast.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 20 at 1:35pm
Very historic, never knew 'Rob Roy' was really Robert the red.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 31 Dec 20 at 3:40pm
At least the nice new red paint will help burn better 😂😂😂😂

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com