Forum Discription: Questions & tips on the subject
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13719
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 5:26pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Varnish that actually works?
Posted By: epicfail
Subject: Varnish that actually works?
Date Posted: 28 Nov 20 at 4:25pm
I need to tidy up the thwart on my Europe, a good rub down and varnish. What the best stuff that actually goes off properly hard in days rather than weeks?

Replies:
Posted By: 423zero
Date Posted: 28 Nov 20 at 6:16pm
I have only used yacht varnish, think the last tin was B&Q own brand, never used any varnish in cold and damp, so, can't advise.
I can recall someone painting a boat in a tent in the winter, that wasn't too bad a finish.

-------------
Robert

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 28 Nov 20 at 6:43pm
At this time of year, nothing without heat.

If you can get it warm enough, with bare wood, then isocyanate clear varnish like Bondaseal will give you 3 coats in about 3 hours and then take another 24 hours to cure completely. More "normal" varnish, go for a 2 pack polyurethane, I guess. Never liked the stuff, myself.

-------------
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Date Posted: 28 Nov 20 at 7:02pm
The thwart is off the boat and in the house, so I guess that will help. 

Date Posted: 28 Nov 20 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by epicfail

The thwart is off the boat and in the house, so I guess that will help. 

Yes it will! But don't use isocynate varnish in that case, as the smell lingers for days and gets you high, followed by headaches.

-------------

Posted By: Grumpycat
Date Posted: 28 Nov 20 at 10:58pm
That’s sounds like something you did more than once lol LOL

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 29 Nov 20 at 1:08pm
If its off the boat and in the house you can probably use pretty much anything *but* you need to consider the rest of the household and fumes. Some people find the solvents difficult to tolerate, especially the more aggressive chemicals in the high end varnishes. Oh, and don't use two pot in the house at all. Too toxic.

Posted By: davidyacht
Date Posted: 29 Nov 20 at 9:56pm
Times have changed since I epoxied, high built and two packed a National 12 in my parents house Smile

-------------
Happily living in the past

Posted By: 423zero
Date Posted: 30 Nov 20 at 7:13am
We have all become environmentalists and risk averse, I won't let the kids in the kitchen if there's cooking going on or use the mower or shears. I had to do loads of dangerous things when I was a kid, I was in charge of lighting the fire and loads of chores that I think are dangerous now, where are we all going?

-------------
Robert

Posted By: Noah
Date Posted: 30 Nov 20 at 7:46am
Originally posted by 423zero

We have all become environmentalists and risk averse, I won't let the kids in the kitchen if there's cooking going on or use the mower or shears. I had to do loads of dangerous things when I was a kid, I was in charge of lighting the fire and loads of chores that I think are dangerous now, where are we all going?

Way off topic, but really? How are kids supposed to learn a) how to cook and b) how to mitigate risks if they are never exposed to an active kitchen?

-------------
Nick
D-Zero 316

Date Posted: 30 Nov 20 at 9:04am
Not sure toxic fumes fall in the same category as the above. Long term health damage makes me cautious.

-------------

Posted By: davidyacht
Date Posted: 30 Nov 20 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by 423zero

The rescue boat for our school sailing club was a rowing boat, which would require somebody to sail in and row back out again should it be required 

-------------
Happily living in the past

Posted By: H2
Date Posted: 30 Nov 20 at 7:23pm
I just used blakes dura-gloss to varnish my carbon mast. Its in an unheated garage and was hard well within the stated 8 hours!

-------------
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082

Posted By: DiscoBall
Date Posted: 01 Dec 20 at 12:16am
Think I just used international original. However, my boat is in a minority as most Europes have teak thwarts which don't need varnishing. Which boat do you have?

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 01 Dec 20 at 12:26pm
Epifanes or Hempel Favourite both go hard. At this time of year you will find they will be set in around 16 hours but will take a week or so to fully harden off. In the summer it is more like a couple of days to be fully cured.

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Posted By: Paramedic
Date Posted: 15 Dec 20 at 9:07am
Originally posted by H2

I just used blakes dura-gloss to varnish my carbon mast. Its in an unheated garage and was hard well within the stated 8 hours!

It wasn't, it was dry. Its not the same thing :)

If you handle it or got it wet you would have marked it or sent it milky - whether this bothers you is another matter.

Even two pack varnishes aren't properly hard until 36-48 hours after application in summer.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 20 at 9:22pm
I have an old Rondar, the thwart is some sort of hardwood. It was covered in something that was well past it's best. I ended up using some generic yacht/exterior varnish - it's had plenty of time to go off between coats and actually looks ok. It will be interesting to see how well it lasts. Now the aged RWO traveller looks a bit xxxx Big smile

Posted By: tink
Date Posted: 16 Dec 20 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by jeffers

Epifanes or Hempel Favourite both go hard. At this time of year you will find they will be set in around 16 hours but will take a week or so to fully harden off. In the summer it is more like a couple of days to be fully cured.

Another vote for Epifanes, keep working the wet edge and don’t got back over where you have varnished particularly with Epifines. I always use a simple polyurethane tent over the area and an oil filled radiator- economical and no blowing. You need to pre heat the boat for 24 hours. Do not varnish and the turn on the heat you will get lots of bubbles. The secret to varnishing is a very clean brush - what people think is dust contamination is dried varnish coming out from deep inside the brush. 

PS - sold my wooden boat but having moved bought a Laser as we have 365 days a year sailing (Normal year) 

-------------
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com