Forum Discription: Your thoughts on challenges to win the 'Auld Mug'
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13701
Printed Date: 19 Mar 24 at 10:18am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Britannia
Posted By: Windermere
Subject: New Britannia
Date Posted: 19 Oct 20 at 4:20pm
Anyone got any ideas as to why the latest Britannia is such a strange shape?

Replies:
Posted By: Grumpycat
Date Posted: 19 Oct 20 at 4:34pm
Not a clue . One can only assume it’s about helping it get foiling or about aerodynamics when foiling . Hopefully there are clever people on here that can give us the answers Smile

Posted By: 423zero
Date Posted: 19 Oct 20 at 8:49pm
Mono Hull, foils on either side lift out of the water, to reduce drag, the foils come together under Hull when going slowly, similar to normal yacht,over simplified, but basically correct.

-------------
Robert

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 20 Oct 20 at 6:59am
I think it's more the weird keel line, lumps and bumps which are puzzling people. I take it that the computer and clever people think it helps pop the hull early. I'm afraid the adage "if it looks right" will come back and bite them in the bum...

-------------
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Posted By: Windermere
Date Posted: 20 Oct 20 at 12:30pm
I reckon that the pre-start manoeuvres and slow speed performance will be irrelevant (unless its really light). Once up on the foils it will be a drag race.
It looks to me that the Brits will have got it very right or very wrong. It wont take long to find out. 

Posted By: GybeFunny
Date Posted: 20 Oct 20 at 12:57pm
I believe the 'bustle' along the bottom is to end-plate the sails when foiling. It looks to me like it is designed with foiling very much in mind and not for floating about.
In this game you need to be bold and innovative and it certainly looks like that to me, I hope the gamble pays off (personally I think it will).

Posted By: Oli
Date Posted: 21 Oct 20 at 12:05pm
my take on its for end plate effect and aero, and also acts as a "moth hull" as in low wetted area compared to the large surface area of the rest of the boat for those touch down moments.

of course could be totally wrong.

Posted By: jaydub
Date Posted: 22 Oct 20 at 12:44pm
The new Luna Rossa seems to have gone down the same design routee with an extended longitudinal bustle, albeit not as extreme as Brittania RB2.  I hope Brittania is quick in a straght line as I suspect that it isn't going to be very agile manoevering at sub-foiling speeds.

Posted By: Jack Sparrow
Date Posted: 27 Nov 20 at 11:34am
This video should help explain the underwater profiles a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpys4jTkfUY&t=273s

[TUBE]xpys4jTkfUY[/TUBE]

Here's a shot taken at the Kiwi launch event by my 2nd Cousin who's the Auckland Marina Coordinator, for detailed comparison. ©SarahBarrell

-------------
http://www.uk3-7class.org/index.html" rel="nofollow - Farr 3.7 Class Website
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1092602470772759/" rel="nofollow - Farr 3.7 Building - Facebook Group

Posted By: fleaberto
Date Posted: 15 Dec 20 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Windermere

It looks to me that the Brits will have got it very right or very wrong. It wont take long to find out. 

Does this piece suggest "Very Wrong?":  https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/12/10/americas-cup-hard-times-for-the-brits/" rel="nofollow - https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/12/10/americas-cup-hard-times-for-the-brits/

-------------
Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'

Posted By: NickM99
Date Posted: 15 Dec 20 at 5:35pm
That's depressing, just when some good news in the New Year would have been welcome...

Date Posted: 15 Dec 20 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by NickM99

That's depressing, just when some good news in the New Year would have been welcome...

That the boat sponsored by a fracking billionaire who has just dumped the uk after campaigning for Brexit is a dog made me smile, I'm afraid.

-------------

Posted By: Old bloke
Date Posted: 15 Dec 20 at 5:59pm
Ineos has not done any fracking in the UK, and I don't think it has done any fracking anywhere else. It will have used oil products obtained by fracking, but so have I and so have you.
I have no idea if he is a goody or a baddy, but in the Americas Cup he is hardly up against Mother Teresa

Date Posted: 15 Dec 20 at 6:06pm
I am with Rupert on this one LOL

Posted By: NickM99
Date Posted: 15 Dec 20 at 7:25pm
Well maybe.  But there wasn't going to be a British boat in Auckland any other way.  The Kiwi press will have a field day.  They are still smarting from being beaten in the Rugby World Cup.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 20 at 8:41pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/drillordrop.com/2020/10/23/ineos-cuts-63m-from-value-of-uk-shale-assets-because-of-fracking-moratorium/amp/

Not through lack of trying.

-------------

Posted By: Gordon 1430
Date Posted: 17 Dec 20 at 10:29am
Bad news for Ben he had a bad start and then a complete systems failure in his first race.
Not looking good a real shame

-------------
Gordon
Phantom 1430

Posted By: drifter
Date Posted: 17 Dec 20 at 7:10pm
What a farce. Give each team an Enterprise and tell them to get on with it

-------------
Stewart

Posted By: rich96
Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 5:06am
We spoke to some NZ sailors in Bermuda as the last AC was finishing and they announced that they were going back to monohulls for this event because:

- Cheaper
- Opening up the field to 10 - 12 nations
- Less technology
- More like 'real' sailing

So how has this worked out ?

Perhaps the races will get more competitive as the sailors get to grips with their boats

3 challengers is a huge disappointment though

Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 10:33am
Prefer the 'Cats' my self, watched most of last AC races, the cats are magnificent.

-------------
Robert

Posted By: H2
Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 11:59am
Super boring IMO. The difference in speed is so huge if one boat makes a mistake that the winner is a leg or two ahead. Its just a drag race with a penalty for making a boat handling mistake, its not match racing. How do you do pre-start tactics at 50 knots?

-------------
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082

Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 12:30pm
Carefully

-------------
Robert

Posted By: Chris_H
Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by H2

Super boring IMO. The difference in speed is so huge if one boat makes a mistake that the winner is a leg or two ahead. Its just a drag race with a penalty for making a boat handling mistake, its not match racing. How do you do pre-start tactics at 50 knots?

Perhaps you missed the match racing, excitement and pre-start manouevres from Day 2? Plenty here in this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8ZJJNyQ0IA" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8ZJJNyQ0IA

Sure, the dial-ups are different, but plenty of cat and mouse and bluffs. 

There were plenty of speed differentials in the old lead mines. Even 1knt difference in a lead mine meant an entire leg trying to catchup. Bit like waiting for a truck going up a hill trying to overtake another on the M40  ;-).

Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 2:09pm
Its become so far removed from the sailing that most of us relate to

The sheets don't get eased even !

Posted By: H2
Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Chris_H

Originally posted by H2

Perhaps you missed the match racing, excitement and pre-start manouevres from Day 2? Plenty here in this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8ZJJNyQ0IA" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8ZJJNyQ0IA

Sure, the dial-ups are different, but plenty of cat and mouse and bluffs. 

There were plenty of speed differentials in the old lead mines. Even 1knt difference in a lead mine meant an entire leg trying to catchup. Bit like waiting for a truck going up a hill trying to overtake another on the M40  ;-).

Day 2 was better I agree, but most University match racing competitions would be more interesting to watch. Dont get me wrong, I am happy that the AC is happening but it is not really match racing anymore. We are not going to see a tacking or gybing duel, no-one is going to tack on a shift, there will be zero places won or lost at a mark rounding. For me its a very spectacular drag race and boat handling exhibition....but it is not match racing

-------------
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082

Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 3:25pm
To be fair, we did see an overlap gained at a mark in NZ v Oracle. And a couple of pre start doors slamming. But that's all, compared to ultra close battles almost every race on the match racing tour.

They have gone down this speed is everything cul de sac. Has it produced more interest/viewers? It certainly won't make people take up sailing.

As for the grumpy, argumentative uk press conferences... compared to the Vendee globe teams and skippers who are a proper community, it just seems pretty and a bit sh*t.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Rupert

As for the grumpy, argumentative uk press conferences... compared to the Vendee globe teams and skippers who are a proper community, it just seems pretty and a bit sh*t.

I remember the even grumpier and accusations of cheating at the Dennis Connor press conferences ... ;-) 

Posted By: Sam.Spoons
Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by H2

For me its a very spectacular drag race and boat handling exhibition....but it is not match racing

Yup, I agree. 

That said I'm quite enjoying watching it, (first to races so far) but can see it becoming a bit tedious after a while. 

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"

Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 5:30pm
Eee ba gum. When I were a lad and sailing my wooden bath tub, when sailing was a mans job, and I served 25 years before the mast, we looked on those new fangled J-class yachts and wondered how they sailed upright with so much sail. And fast? Fair near turned my head. No man should go as fast as that in a sailing boat. How do they drink their tea? Them J's should be banned.
Wink

Posted By: Do Different
Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 5:35pm
What did they say, 49knots recorded in 12knots of breeze, that is undeniably a hugely impressive display of efficiency and performance.

Why do some say it's boring then? 

F1 cars touch 200mph on straights and generate 5G under braking and cornering, again crazy numbers but to a distant spectator largely meaningless. Sometimes also said to be boring and processional, a criticism seldom levelled a British Touring Cars.

There is a contradiction in that fast boats often look slow (Cats & Foilers) but slow boats look fast (most things semi planing in sea and breeze).
Edit add.
How much wind and sea will these present boats race in?

Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Do Different

How much wind and sea will these present boats race in?
The wind limits for this series – and for the early rounds of the Prada Cup challenger series – are 6.5 knots and 21 knots (the upper limit changes to 23 knots for challenger final and the America's Cup).

Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 8:20pm
Does anybody know where I can find the SI's for this series, or at least an explanation of the variations from the current RRS?

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Posted By: deadrock
Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 8:30pm
http://noticeboard.acofficials.org

Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 9:01pm

Originally posted by Rupert

I remember the even grumpier and accusations of cheating at the Dennis Connor press conferences ... ;-) 

True, the AC has been a bitter battlefield almost since inception. Doesn't inspire me.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Dec 20 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by deadrock

http://noticeboard.acofficials.org

Thumbs Up

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Posted By: GarethT
Date Posted: 19 Dec 20 at 7:32am
Well that race was everything i feared. ETNZ comes off the foils in conditions LR is still foiling in. 1 km+ lead and LR comes off foils in v light wind. Both boats Bob around then wind fills in from the back and ETNZ make up the massive gap and sail past. Ended up a close finish, but just wacky races.

Spectacle, yes, but good racing?

Delta between foiling and not is massive, and it just takes too long to get them going. At least with the cats they could get foiling quite quickly. One bad tack/gybe or lull and it's game over.

Date Posted: 19 Dec 20 at 11:39am
At least 3 of the boats can have a sort of race

Its not particularly interesting - just drag racing and trying to stay foiling

Dull

Date Posted: 19 Dec 20 at 3:25pm
100m sprint would be a spectacle if they did it in wellies full of custard. Wouldn't be the pinnacle of the sport though. It would be It's A Knockout.

Feels like it will be a much lesser event than last time (and I wasn't totally convinced about that)

Date Posted: 19 Dec 20 at 3:56pm
"Wouldn't be the pinnacle of the sport though"

Therein lies a question to which I don't have the answer, mind I do have an old fashioned opinion.

Sport is balanced towards people, athleticism and skills.

A technical arms race is more towards technicians and business resources.

Date Posted: 19 Dec 20 at 4:07pm
Certainly very odd to watch a sailing event that appears to be totally without any tactics or strategy - other than staying on the foils ?

If only 3 nations challenge its got to be time to review this before it slowly dies itself

You could forgive it if the racing was amazing but its just not

Nobody will watch this and think about taking up sailing - its more akin to a console game

Date Posted: 19 Dec 20 at 4:34pm
I'm seeing what look like diving mouthpieces on some of the helmsmen chests, any ideas?

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 19 Dec 20 at 5:04pm
Oxygen in case of entrapment?

Date Posted: 19 Dec 20 at 5:19pm
That's what I thought but they aren't all wearing them.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Posted By: ClubRacer
Date Posted: 19 Dec 20 at 6:03pm
I believe the last AC it was a requirement following the disaster at AC34. I have a feeling Sailgp is the same.

Some of them had bottles stored on their vests or next to them in the cockpit. It looks as if LR have gone down the route of tubes with the bottles else where on there body

Date Posted: 19 Dec 20 at 6:15pm
Only any good if you are conscious or able to get out from under in a specific time, same with any safety device really, but, better to have it than not.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 19 Dec 20 at 6:27pm
Yes, that's it, presumably since 'Bart' Simpson's death in 2013. The BBC Sport report from the time says "For safety, sailors wear helmets, life vests and body armour and carry knives to cut themselves free from fallen rigging. They also receive regular training in underwater survival and wear small oxygen bottles in case of being trapped. Divers and doctors follow in support boats."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sailing/22494280" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sailing/22494280

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 19 Dec 20 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Only any good if you are conscious or able to get out from under in a specific time, same with any safety device really, but, better to have it than not.

There have been two fatalities in the AC in 170 years, not a bad record. But, as you say, anything that reduces that risk still further can only be a good thing.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 20 Dec 20 at 2:19pm
Crumbs - watching our AC boat in light winds is awful - terrible compared to the others

What's gone wrong ?

Date Posted: 20 Dec 20 at 3:46pm
It does appear to nod all over the place, doesn't seem balanced on its side foils, may be as simple as fitting extra ballast aft

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 20 Dec 20 at 4:58pm
Lets hope its as simple as that !

Apparently the writing was on the wall some time ago regarding this boat

Posted By: epicfail
Date Posted: 20 Dec 20 at 6:24pm
There were some figures that showed Ineos is quick in a straight line but it's rubbish in the manoeuvres.

Date Posted: 20 Dec 20 at 9:19pm
Watching the YouTube videos of all the boats training over the last month or so it was obvious even to my untrained eye that they were struggling to turn corners without touching down. Even when they left the windward foil in longer it would drop down the minute they lifted it.

No idea if it's foil design, systems, or technique/skill, but they must've known they have a problem for some time if an idiot like me could see it.

Posted By: jaydub
Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 12:17am
They look to have big foils that don't generate sufficient lift.  One suggestion was that they have gone for a wide foil, but one with most of the area in the trim tab, which isn't where most of the lift is generated.  Whether this is right or wrong is anybody's guess.

With only a few weeks to go to the challenger series, I would be putting any money on our boat, even if I was a betting man.

Let's just hope they can make a significant step improvement.  They need to!

Posted By: jcooper
Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 7:30am
I read somewhere that AC competitors are only allow a limited number of foil design changes and the Ineos have used up most of theirs already......anyone know if that is true?

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 7:51am
That's certainly what Shirley R said on the commentary.

Posted By: ClubRacer
Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 8:56am
They also said the lead time to make the foils is into the months so would be unable to make a new set anyway

Apparently the foils had to be locked in 5 days before the regatta so you couldn't change daily. Hopefully Ineos have some others in the lockers that are a little better. Or better yet hopefully its a displacement regatta!

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 9:10am
Originally posted by jcooper

I read somewhere that AC competitors are only allow a limited number of foil design changes and the Ineos have used up most of theirs already......anyone know if that is true?

Max of 6 foils. A foil can have up to 20% change

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 9:14am
Originally posted by rich96

Apparently the writing was on the wall some time ago regarding this boat

RITA2 was only launched Oct 16th....so not sure about ‘some time ago’

However, it is certainly looks like the boat now has problems that will be very difficult to come back from in such a short space of time

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 10:39am
Think the situation is they cannot make anymore totally new foils but they can alter the ones they all ready have . But the changes are relatively small and are  controlled by the class rules . 

Posted By: mole
Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 12:20pm
I agree with all the sentiments here. Shame they have gone down the route of out and out speed to make a spectacle rather than a design that looks exciting and produces close(r) sailing. Also encourages or doesn't exclude so many contenders, although no AC campaign is cheap.

Also strange we are back to underwater appendages being the big talk, its back to the old days when the Aussies won the cup for the first time.

Amazing to see the solution and getting these craft foiling and achieving the speeds in relatively low wind speeds, but it does not make great match racing and encourage sailing participation.

It feels quite indulgent of the organisations, teams and sailors to go down this route.

If they have low wind speeds this will be a non event.
Hope Team Ineos, sort the boat and at least are able to mix it. 

Can you imagine a final coming down to the last race, the lead boat comes off it foils on the last leg with a few hundred metres to go and the chaser passes and beats them by seconds to the win and lift the cup?
That's all we will remember.

I'd rather have memories of ultra close racing amazing looking and performing craft with superb crews racing so close you can't predict what will happen.

But when has that ever been part of AC racing in recent years?

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 12:42pm
Some look back to the ‘good old days’ with large and very rose tinted specs. There was often a time differential of at least a minute in days gone by - not dissimilar to now. Wink

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by mole

I agree with all the sentiments here. Shame they have gone down the route of out and out speed to make a spectacle rather than a design that looks exciting and produces close(r) sailing. Also encourages or doesn't exclude so many contenders, although no AC campaign is cheap.

Also strange we are back to underwater appendages being the big talk, its back to the old days when the Aussies won the cup for the first time.

Amazing to see the solution and getting these craft foiling and achieving the speeds in relatively low wind speeds, but it does not make great match racing and encourage sailing participation.

It feels quite indulgent of the organisations, teams and sailors to go down this route.

If they have low wind speeds this will be a non event.
Hope Team Ineos, sort the boat and at least are able to mix it. 

Can you imagine a final coming down to the last race, the lead boat comes off it foils on the last leg with a few hundred metres to go and the chaser passes and beats them by seconds to the win and lift the cup?
That's all we will remember.

I'd rather have memories of ultra close racing amazing looking and performing craft with superb crews racing so close you can't predict what will happen.

But when has that ever been part of AC racing in recent years?

im no out and out fan of this AC, it is interesting technically, and on occasion visually and dare i say even someof the races have been ok.

but if its all light winds wont that give you the close racing that you want?

as for someone passing right at the end if someone drops off the foil, well thats part and parcel of the foiling game.  the better team didnt fall of the foil.  all sailing has an element of luck with the wind and yes its more pronunced on foils but its not changed the game.

could they have done something better with it, possibly, do they have to? no its their circus.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 4:28pm
But when they are a kilometre apart the leader could fall off the foil in very different wind.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 5:04pm
Well yes, but that's sailing only perhaps the jeopardy is greater in this rule set.

They could always raise the min. wind speed in the SIs from 6.5knots to 10knots which be at least getting into slightly more proper sailing breeze. Blimey after all I'm a five foot and a bit Pee Wee and I couldn't fully wire my Contender in 6.5 knots. LOLWink

Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 6:44pm
Yep that’s the risk by having boats with such huge deltas in performance is guess. I’ve lots events in races where when leading the wind shut off and comes in from behind and the fleet came back with it and ruined our chances. Ship happens. I’ve also been on the other side of those flukes. Is it annoying? Definitely but it’s part of the game when you have to deal with the elements as the power source.

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 10:54pm

Some look back to the ‘good old days’ with large and very rose tinted specs. There was often a time differential of at least a minute in days gone by - not dissimilar to now. 

I once tried to establish how many place changes there had been after the first windward mark in the 12m era. It was not going to be a large number...

Date Posted: 23 Dec 20 at 3:18pm

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1092602470772759/" rel="nofollow - Farr 3.7 Building - Facebook Group

Date Posted: 23 Dec 20 at 7:16pm
This did make me smile when I saw this the first time .
 Yes probably the boat is a dog, we will know for certain in a few months. 
But to comment on the backers ethics is just silly . As there  is nothing to choose between the ethics most of the main sponsors of all the syndicates 

Date Posted: 23 Dec 20 at 9:45pm
I'm sure there have been many evil capitalists paying for AC boats. Not sure who else could afford to. This particular one sticks in my craw.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 11:32am
I'm quite surprised just how close the other 3 boats are so far - almost decent racing at times

The AC organisers need to stop changing the rules/boats each event - it just leads to one team being very good, a few being ok and some being way off the pace

No doubt some is down to the designers but there's got to be a degree of luck too

Date Posted: 12 Jan 21 at 2:54pm
Looks like the Brits are on the pace too now.

Posted By: Mozzy
Date Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 10:51am
I'm doing a bit of a boat by boat review of team roles aboard the AC boats. There's quite a difference in how they are crewed. A really interesting insight in to team ethos!

INEOS often only have 6 grinding, compared to 8 on the other boats. Freeing up more personal for afterguard duties. 

[TUBE]https://youtu.be/d--ZAzs3XJk[/TUBE]

Date Posted: 15 Jan 21 at 11:27am
The old dog grows teeth !

Very impressive - speed, tactics, boat handling

Well done boys

Date Posted: 15 Jan 21 at 1:45pm
I'm with Nathan Outteridge...

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jan 21 at 2:03pm
Speed picked up now they appear to have got rid of that annoying nodding.

-------------
Robert

Posted By: tink
Date Posted: 15 Jan 21 at 6:02pm
Great turn around particularly as they had a smaller jib. They still have to show what they can do when it’s light. Watched both races now, fantastic boats but not very interesting after the start, the commentators sounded bored, not sure what they are going say going forward now the ‘wow, different boat... ‘ is done

-------------
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com

Date Posted: 15 Jan 21 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Jack Sparrow

You arn't a MAGA conspiracy theorist are you? ;-)

I dont think there is any evidence for sandbagging. And even if there was - does anyone really care? Its all part of the AC drama anyway. 

Lets not pin too much on the results of just 1 day. Lets see what tomorrow brings. 

Rooting for Ben and the team what ever happens.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 21 at 6:46pm
+1

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 15 Jan 21 at 9:47pm

Originally posted by Jack Sparrow

You arn't a MAGA conspiracy theorist are you? ;-)
I dont think there is any evidence for sandbagging. And even if there was - does anyone really care? Its all part of the AC drama anyway. 
Lets not pin too much on the results of just 1 day. Lets see what tomorrow brings. 
Rooting for Ben and the team what ever happens.

I assumed that was a sack containing something smelly.

But I have to admit communication on the boat seemed much more calm than at Christmas.

-------------

Posted By: sarg boland
Date Posted: 16 Jan 21 at 1:20pm
The decision to keep Giles S off the grinders has really paid off so far as they hunt for shifts yesterday and wind today.  These three races have been won by heads out sailing and impressive team work.  Hope they can keep up the tec race on Rita to take things further.

-------------
Fair winds

Date Posted: 16 Jan 21 at 5:38pm
What design boats will UK likely choose if we win ?

-------------
Robert

Posted By: MartinG
Date Posted: 16 Jan 21 at 6:16pm
Finns

-------------
49er 865
K6 159
RS800 1133 (sold)

Date Posted: 16 Jan 21 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by MartinG

Finns

Fantastic answer.

Any displacement mode monohull would be good. Today’s race showed how unequal these boats can sail when they one gets into the high teens and the other is doing 2 knots. Technologically brilliant but I’d like to see some actual match racing. 

I presume the races would be in the Solent but a boat to sail that water have differ requirements. 

Hopefully we’re not get ahead of ourselves

-------------
Tink

Date Posted: 16 Jan 21 at 9:07pm
Whatever it is you can lay good money on it being a foiler so any hopes of 'proper' match racing are out of the window...

That said I have enjoyed the racing so far but it shouldn't be for the America's Cup... 

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 16 Jan 21 at 9:24pm
Norfolk punt, that type of boat, fast sailing dinghy, what were those mad things with loads of trapeze wires?

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 16 Jan 21 at 10:20pm
Ultra 30?

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 16 Jan 21 at 10:35pm
+1 for Norfolk punts Smile

Date Posted: 16 Jan 21 at 10:40pm
Hoya? There was one at Aberdovey for years.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 16 Jan 21 at 11:09pm
Match racing Ultra 30s would be good to watch I think... Thumbs Up

edit :- or what about Ultra 75s? No foils or ballast keel, 20 blokes on the wire and a simple rule akin to the 18' Skiffs, "75' overall, one hull, one centreboard, one rudder, one mast and three sails, the race starts at 11..." LOL

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 17 Jan 21 at 10:17am
'Hoya' is a 'Ultra 30', think Hoya was the sponsor, race series was televised on the BBC in the nineties.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 17 Jan 21 at 11:03am

'Hoya' is a 'Ultra 30', think Hoya was the sponsor, race series was televised on the BBC in the nineties.

Yes it was/is and yes Hoya was the sponsor. The Ultra 30 series may well have been the first to try to make yacht racing a spectator sport using short 'stadium' courses.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 17 Jan 21 at 11:09am

Back in the day when the BBC cared about one of our most successful sports, Ben’s 4 for 4 doesn’t even feature on their App Sports feed. AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

-------------
Tink

Date Posted: 17 Jan 21 at 12:01pm
Maybe they got their fingers burned in the 90s and haven't bothered coming back?

Still, I take back some of what I said before - the racing is better than the cats, the Ineos team has improved communication and attitude as well as the boat, and the capsizes are very modern dinghy like, even if righting them is more like a 1920s 14.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jan 21 at 2:28pm
Nope, nothing. 

Now looked at the BBC Sport website, not a mention to be seen.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 21 at 4:05pm
BBC only going to show sports they consider to be within reach of "" normal "" people, equipment heavy sports are considered to be out of reach, they obviously haven't looked at cost of decent fishing gear.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 17 Jan 21 at 4:19pm
I wonder if anyone has done the maths on putting an AC team together compared to putting a premiership football team. We will exclude the stadium, but include the boat.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jan 21 at 4:55pm
Report in Financial Times states hundreds of millions of pounds, (put a link on but it was row after row). https://www.outsideonline.com/2083841/10-million-boat-will-win-americas-cup#close

-------------
Robert

Posted By: mole
Date Posted: 17 Jan 21 at 5:31pm

Nope, nothing. 

Try here
   https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sailing

Date Posted: 17 Jan 21 at 6:32pm
Nothing since Friday evening though, two wins reported, nothing on Saturday and Sunday's (today) racing...

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 17 Jan 21 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by mole

Nope, nothing. 

Try here
   https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sailing

As Sam says 2+ days old

-------------
Tink

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com