Forum Discription: 'How to' section for dinghy questions and answers
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13697
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 8:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: From the Pond to the Sea
Posted By: epicfail
Subject: From the Pond to the Sea
Date Posted: 14 Oct 20 at 7:58pm
Next year (assuming we are able to do such things) I would like to have a go at sailing / racing on the sea. Having only ever sailed on lakes what if anything should I be prepared for?  Waves... wouldn't know what to do with one.

Replies:
Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 14 Oct 20 at 8:45pm
Waves, tides, windbends (rather than 90° shifts), offshore winds sending capsized boats over the horizon, nasty tasting water.

But actual steady breeze where you can sit out without hitting a lull every 10 seconds will be a bonus.

-------------
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Posted By: fab100
Date Posted: 14 Oct 20 at 10:38pm
I dunno about your inland water, but ours is 2m deep at the max so if you capsize, the hazard is sticking the mast in the mud. On the sea, its usually deep enough for the boat to invert/turtle if you aren't quick onto the plate. So be quick...

And if the tide is low when you launch, don't take for granted that your trolley will be waiting for you, it could be 15ft under water when you get back

-------------
http://clubsailor.co.uk/wp/club-sailor-from-back-to-front/" rel="nofollow - Great book for Club Sailors here

Posted By: Sam.Spoons
Date Posted: 14 Oct 20 at 10:39pm
In many respects sea sailing is easier than inland, the main thing is that the wind is usually more constant in strength and direction so you can get in the groove for much longer without needing to tack on a shift every 30 seconds. Strong winds are more manageable too as the gusts are more predictable (and less viscous than that gap in the trees back home). Tides and waves are a new experience but tides are understandable with a little local knowledge and, once you get the hang of them, waves are just another form of propulsion (well, offwind at least). If you plan to race with safety cover I'd say just go for it. It's a bit less benign if you are sailing alone so if that's the case get yourself a VHF and make sure you pick your conditions.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"

Posted By: Sussex Lad
Date Posted: 15 Oct 20 at 4:48am
As above.....plus
Dragging the boat up and down the beach can be a right b**tard. Sand and shingle not so good as a jetty or hard. Tack on a wave were you can. Waves quite often not square to the wind so upwind you might need radically different settings/sheeting/technique for port and starboard tack.

Lifts and headers much more subtle on the sea, sometimes difficult to spot when heading out with no visible reference point on horizon.

The boat rots quicker so use the hose thoroughly on the metalwork.

Oh, almost forgot, "gunwale bum" can be an issue in a salty wetsuit.

Posted By: NickM99
Date Posted: 15 Oct 20 at 9:09am
Boat speed is probably more important on the sea where you have longer legs and fewer opportunities to make big gains by sussing out wind shifts, bends and shadows inland.

Posted By: davidyacht
Date Posted: 15 Oct 20 at 9:14am
Easy to forget about getting into the rhythm of working your way over the waves upwind and surfing the waves offwind.  Get a tactical compass.  Read a book on coastal meteorology.

-------------
Happily living in the past

Posted By: 423zero
Date Posted: 15 Oct 20 at 9:56am
Can also get big on you, suddenly, especially when sailing alone, I always use a surfboard tether when I am just cruising, if you capsize, the boat can't float away from you, take your phone too.

-------------
Robert

Posted By: Gordon 1430
Date Posted: 15 Oct 20 at 12:00pm
If your going out alone make sure you let someone won know what time you should be back. If your late call them before they ring the coastguard.
Not all sea will let you invert most of the Solent wont for certain at low tide.

-------------
Gordon
Phantom 1430

Date Posted: 15 Oct 20 at 12:38pm
Lots of great replies! I won't be sailing alone, I plan to have a go at a couple of class events. Sailing on a shallow shifty pond is always entertaining but sometimes feels a little restricted. Tacking to avoid upsetting blokes fishing, dodging three islands and keeping out of the way of the RYA classes. Add this to covering all points of sail on one leg etc.

Posted By: Gordon 1430
Date Posted: 15 Oct 20 at 12:45pm
launching and recovering can be tricky at some venues, you may have to get wet! I know Frensham guys launch and return to pontoons so expect to stay dry all the time. Bit of a shock for them having to wade in to launch.
Coming ashore in waves can be an issue, make sure you can get your main down or if in a laser type drop the knot to make things safer. Dont furl your jib and leave the main up. drop the main and come in under jib or bare poles if its a single hander in an onshore breeze.

-------------
Gordon
Phantom 1430

Posted By: davidyacht
Date Posted: 15 Oct 20 at 4:12pm
May not be entirely relevant but if you go sailing at sea without rescue cover It is good to sail with a buddy, also carry a waterproof VHF, mobile signals can be dodgy offshore, and it is easier to operate a VHF than fumble with a mobile phone

-------------
Happily living in the past

Posted By: Mozzy
Date Posted: 16 Oct 20 at 10:41am
When I first sailed on the sea, as a young lad in a topper, one thing frustrated me more than anything. Not being able to leave my trolley half immersed. 

Leaving the trolley on the beach is a King Knut form of bluff with the tide. Always trying to guess it placement so it's left just within reach on return. Inevitably its 100m up the beach, or better still, swept out in to Solent. 

Posted By: fab100
Date Posted: 16 Oct 20 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Gordon 1430

launching and recovering can be tricky at some venues, you may have to get wet! I know Frensham guys launch and return to pontoons so expect to stay dry all the time. Bit of a shock for them having to wade in to launch.
Coming ashore in waves can be an issue, make sure you can get your main down or if in a laser type drop the knot to make things safer. Dont furl your jib and leave the main up. drop the main and come in under jib or bare poles if its a single hander in an onshore breeze.

Indeed, our Frensham jetties are very civilised, particularly in winter, but not as unique as the crane we used to lower our Mirrors into the river Fowey when i was a kid. The H&S mafia would go mad with that nowadays, but back in the day the only person injured by the crane was the adult supposed to keep an eye on us

-------------
http://clubsailor.co.uk/wp/club-sailor-from-back-to-front/" rel="nofollow - Great book for Club Sailors here

Posted By: patj
Date Posted: 01 Nov 20 at 10:17am
As puddle sailors who rarely sail on the sea and then only in organised racing, I'd say the things to note are:
1. Follow the beachmaster's instructions especially where to leave trolley and remember to tally in and out.
2. Current, especially around marks - sometimes they need a far wider berth because of the current pushing you. Keep especially clear of the big solid channel markers.
3. Follow safety instructions given in SI and at briefing. Usually dropping main means you need help and safety boat will come to you.
4. Don't worry about being last man at the back - someone has to and the RO will often stop you a lap short of the leaders if it saves him waiting for you. That saves your energy!
5. Take drinks and food - it's a long day. We've had 7 hours from launch to back onshore with three back to back races and sailing in and out to course at Weymouth for example.
6. Don't be afraid to ask about things.

Posted By: iGRF
Date Posted: 01 Nov 20 at 11:35am
Originally posted by patj

We've had 7 hours from launch to back onshore with three back to back races and sailing in and out to course at Weymouth for example.

That's nothing short of outrageous.

Not exactly enhancing the fun of the sport, no wonder travelling was in decline even before the plague.

Nothing much more to add to what everyone else has said about the sea v the lake, I find the sea can be very boring compared to the more frenetic action in close quarter small lake sailing.

The only real issues are the transition from land to water and back depending on the facilitys they can be so very different, sailing at Weymouth for instance (In the harbour)aint that much different from Grafham other than the tidal currents which can be quite confusing there.

Then sailing at places like Portishead for instance can be very testing due to the speed of the current and down at Hayling coming in over the bar used to be interesting shall we say at certain tidal states, but the key is to relax and stay clam, even if the boat does turn the wrong way up, never panic, it's only water with a salty taste, just carry on the same routine for self prervation you would inland.

-------------
https://www.corekite.co.uk/snow-accessories-11-c.asp" rel="nofollow - Snow Equipment Deals      https://www.corekite.co.uk" rel="nofollow - New Core Kite website

Posted By: GarethT
Date Posted: 02 Nov 20 at 2:20pm
There are lots of different 'types' of sea. Launching in Chichester Harbour is very different to somewhere like Lancing for example, so you can pick your venues to ease yourself into it.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 20 at 6:10pm
My daughter was at Uni in Portsmouth until earlier this year (as was I some 30 years ago) now she is in Gosport. Last year I watched a race from Locks Sailing Club in Langstone harbour - looks like a lovely place to sail. Stokes Bay looks interesting too, maybe next year I'll take the plunge somewhere Big smile

Posted By: GarethT
Date Posted: 02 Nov 20 at 9:24pm
You can 'pay and play' at the Andrew Simpson centre there if you want to give it a go without the faff of packing your boat up.

Posted By: piglet
Date Posted: 15 Nov 20 at 6:01pm
We do winters inland in the 200, always good to be back on the salty stuff but first couple of sails I'm wobbling around in the back and usually end up on my rse gybing.
Enjoy, much better IMO.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com