Print Page | Close Window

Choosing a new boat

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: General
Forum Name: Choosing a boat
Forum Discription: Ask any questions about the sport!
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13518
Printed Date: 18 Apr 24 at 8:55am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Choosing a new boat
Posted By: GeorgeT415
Subject: Choosing a new boat
Date Posted: 28 Jan 20 at 11:06am
Hi,

You might remember my previous posts about choosing boats. For those who haven't read them, I am 16, 5ft10in and c.90kg (I am losing weight and aim to reach c.80kg). After my previous enquiries on this site I have narrowed down my list for my next boat (I currently sail a laser and find it is underpowered in anything sub 14 knots and is too small and cramped). The list is as follows: Solo, OK, Supernova, Contender, Blaze. I sail on the solent and have reasonable racing experience (including on the trapeze). I would like any and all sugestions from you as to which would be the best suited to my conditions and therefore make it through to my trialling process.

Many Thanks,
George T

Replies:
Posted By: KazRob
Date Posted: 28 Jan 20 at 12:22pm
I think the two pieces of advice most on here would subscribe to advice is (1) to try them all before you buy and (2) think about what is sailed locally to you if you want class racing. We all can make arguments why our preferred classes are 'the best' but tbh ideally you need to try them all out to see what fits you personally.
If you want to try the OK the class demo boat is at Stokes Bay and I'm sure a trial sail can be arranged through Hugh Myers who's looking after it down there.

-------------
OK 2249
D-1 138

Date Posted: 28 Jan 20 at 1:00pm
Thanks, I have posted a few threads like this before and have narrowed down my list from the advice from here and elsewhere and was looking for pros and cons before going onto my testing period to eliminate wasting time on boats that would not suit my size/weight or a just terrible boats

Date Posted: 28 Jan 20 at 1:01pm
Edit, I also have mainly handicap races so class availability is a bonus but not necessary

Posted By: Sam.Spoons
Date Posted: 28 Jan 20 at 1:44pm
I love the OK (sailed one in my youth), didn't like the Supernova (get a sail in one but for me it had most of the same issues as the Laser), have only sailed a Solo once briefly but they are a very well liked boat, maybe not at their best on the sea though. So that narrows it down to Blaze and Contender. The Blaze is easy to sail and well suited to open water, the Contender likewise but probably a fair bit more difficult to get to grips with. Try them both if you can, which will suit you best is down to how ambitious you are and how much time you have to devote to learning to sail it.

Also, I can't easily refer back to your earlier threads so have you considered the RS600? And boats like the RS700 and Musto Skiff (very steep learning curve so only worth the effort if you have lots of time available)?

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"

Posted By: H2
Date Posted: 28 Jan 20 at 3:47pm
Do you really think you will lose the weight and keep it off? Not being a dick, I am 95kg and regularly promise myself I will get to 80kg but never do. If you get honest with yourself and feel you may not then I would say that a Solo & Supernova are going to be under powered if you find the Laser is. You will be right at the maximum limit for an OK which is actually closer to a Laser type helm size. Of the boats you listed I would shoot for a Blaze if I lived on the sea for sure!

You might also look at a Finn which would be like sailing a Laser that was actually designed for your body size and will make you smile alot. If you had funds I would also suggest looking at the H2 but as they are newish they are not cheap yet.

-------------
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082

Posted By: KazRob
Date Posted: 28 Jan 20 at 4:15pm
The OK will certainly be fine weight wise. The sweet spot is probably between 80 and 90kg but there’s also fast guys (in all weathers) at 75kg and 100+kgs. Plenty of room under the boom when you tack, the boats last forever and a whole world of events overseas if you fancy that - but give it a try first

-------------
OK 2249
D-1 138

Posted By: bicrider
Date Posted: 28 Jan 20 at 4:39pm
Keep a look out for a Finn I am 6'4" and 110kg and find it a great boat for my size. There are some older Finn's out there with ali rigs. I think there are 2 on Apollo duck ( I am not selling either boat) you wont win the nationals in them but it would give you a taste of the class.

-------------
Dart 18 5054 "Willy Flipit"
Finn K333
Yellow (faded) Pico "Willy Tipit"

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com