URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13365
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 10:55am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Laser 2000 Spinnaker Chute Issue
Posted By: musto061
Subject: Laser 2000 Spinnaker Chute Issue
Date Posted: 19 Jul 19 at 7:50am
Hi,

At our sailing club we have a Laser 2000. I am in charge of maintenance and I look after all the club boats.
I have noticed that the spinnaker is extremely difficult to hoist and retrieve.
I have serviced all the blocks to minimise friction, Mclubed the spinnaker and chute and also tried putting stopper knots in the downhaul so the kite does not enter the bag at the same time.

None of this has helped and members still complain that the kite does not go up or down easily.
Are there any Laser 2000 sailors that can assist? Is there a certain length of downhaul and specific knot arrangement to help this?
Or is this a general problem with the boat having such a small chute?

Many Thanks
Mark

Replies:
Posted By: Paramedic
Date Posted: 19 Jul 19 at 5:58pm
is the spinnaker porous and absorbing water?

Posted By: sargesail
Date Posted: 19 Jul 19 at 9:03pm
Use a bowline with a bobble behind it to separate the 2 patches as it goes in. 10-12 inches of separation. If they are slow and the head gets below the gunnel before both patches are in then it will be difficult.

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 19 Jul 19 at 9:16pm
They need instruction on how to drop a kite. It takes effort, too.

-------------
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Posted By: Sam.Spoons
Date Posted: 19 Jul 19 at 10:00pm
Yup, the Spice has a 22m kite and mine are both soft and soak water so I'm well in tune with the problem. I don't have much trouble launching the kite but, on the drop, and if it's wet, it will stick to everything (even with lube) so the only answer is speed, the kite should/must be floating as it enters the chute or you are in for a world of pain, as sargesail says it if drops below the chute mouth you are lost.

Technique is the key....... But a new, crispy, kite will go a long way to forgiving mistakes. I have a couple of Omega kites which are around 15M and less knackered than mine and they are much easier to recover.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"

Posted By: Neal_g
Date Posted: 24 Jul 19 at 12:38pm
Re proofing the kite would help also fabsil is the best option

-------------
(Redoubt Sc)
Miracle 4040
GP14 13407

Crewsaver phase 2 range now available to buy online on at http://www.gibsonsails.com

Date Posted: 24 Jul 19 at 1:08pm
I've tried fabian in the washing machine with only moderate success, painted on is probably better.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Posted By: 423zero
Date Posted: 24 Jul 19 at 5:32pm
Sam,
You got away with putting fabsil in the washing machine?
Thought it was spirit based ?

Posted By: Noah
Date Posted: 24 Jul 19 at 5:46pm
I’ve sprayed on Fabsil in the past, quite successfully.

-------------
Nick
D-Zero 316

Date Posted: 24 Jul 19 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Sam,
You got away with putting fabsil in the washing machine?
Thought it was spirit based ?

No, the wash in stuff, which I assume is water based (TBH it may have been a different brand though they all seem to do one). I wouldn't be surprised something spirit based would be better, the wash in waterproofer was not very successful.

I might try some as I have a couple of soft but not too much repaired Spice kites in need of the treatment.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 25 Jul 19 at 7:15am
A bucket of fabsil, dip spinnaker in completely, hang up to dry.

-------------
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Posted By: musto061
Date Posted: 25 Jul 19 at 7:45am
Many thanks for the responses.

Yes the spinnaker is quite old so it does absorb water. I have recently re waterproofed the spinnaker with a Fabsil type spray and this has vastly improved retrieving the kite.
I have also put a stopper in the downhaul to space the retrieval points by 6 inchs.

I think a new spinnaker is on the list of improvements for this winter.

Thanks again
Mark

Posted By: Gordon 1430
Date Posted: 25 Jul 19 at 7:56am
HI Mark
It might be worth posting on the class website asking for a used spinnaker from one of the top guys or armed forces teams who will probably replace theirs every year.
Especially as your is a club training boat and people like to help if they can.
Cheers
Gordon

-------------
Gordon
Phantom 1430

Posted By: sargesail
Date Posted: 25 Jul 19 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by musto061

Many thanks for the responses.
Yes the spinnaker is quite old so it does absorb water. I have recently re waterproofed the spinnaker with a Fabsil type spray and this has vastly improved retrieving the kite.
I have also put a stopper in the downhaul to space the retrieval points by 6 inchs.
I think a new spinnaker is on the list of improvements for this winter.
Thanks again
Mark

You need more like 10 to 12 inches

Posted By: NickA
Date Posted: 06 Sep 19 at 12:51pm
My Javelin had this issue; the answer was a nice new sock from Creation Covers.  Works a treat even with quite old kites.

Of course the chute hole on a 2000 is quite small, so it is always going to be quite hard to pull the kite through it.

Quite a few (most?) Javelins have no sock at all, the kite just pulls into the boat.  5o5s sometimes do similar with a kind of netting "false floor" under the deck.  Basically socks are nice and tidy but when old will slow things down.

-------------
Javelin 558
Contender 2574

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com