Forum Discription: The latest moves in the dinghy market
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13358
Printed Date: 20 Aug 19 at 3:50pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Regatta week or championships?
Posted By: mozzy
Subject: Regatta week or championships?
Date Posted: 05 Jul 19 at 2:41pm
What summer events are you doing this year and why? Talking events that require weekdays, so not weekend only opens. 

Regattas I'm thinking about anything that doesn't carry a title.  Then championships include worlds, euros and nationals. 

Are you returning to support a favourite event, or trying something new? New class or old? Or just giving up on travelling for the summer, and if so why? 

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/656mozzy/" rel="nofollow - YouTube Channel
RS800 1144

Replies:
Posted By: dohertpk
Date Posted: 05 Jul 19 at 3:33pm
Doing the Musto UK nationals in September. This will be my first nationals in any class, ever! It will be my first ever Musto event, my first event with more than 10 boats on the start line and, most terrifying of all, my first time bringing a boat on a ferry!

Posted By: TwoCrew
Date Posted: 05 Jul 19 at 3:41pm
Bass Week for us in our 200...

• Not been before but heard good things about it from fellow club members
  • Not enough leave left to do 'holiday' and 'big summer sailing event' so think this'll feel more like a combination than would the Nationals (although have had a great time at all recent 200 Champs).
  • Know the area well from non-sailing exploits so will have plenty alternative activities to do.
  • Big 200 contingent going so will get fleet competition after a fashion (not that we're very competitive!)
  • 9 days' worth (ie weekend + midweek + weekend)
  • Etc etc

Posted By: craiggo
Date Posted: 05 Jul 19 at 3:50pm
Thornbury SC club week in August & OK nationals at Abersoch in Sept.

-------------
OK 2071 & 2129
RS200 411

Posted By: H2
Date Posted: 05 Jul 19 at 3:58pm
I have our Nationals in early September to look forward too down on the Solent and I will also be taking my boat with me down to Cornwall for my family's holiday and hoping to blag some sailing if I am a good boy!

-------------
H2 #115

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 05 Jul 19 at 6:31pm
A National regatta...

20 years of the cvrda at Roadford over August Bank Holiday.

-------------
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446

Posted By: zeon
Date Posted: 05 Jul 19 at 10:35pm
British moth nationals is the only thing planned, but I have just been offered a Finn to sail at the cvrda at roadford. Not sure I am man enough for a Finn lol 😂 

Posted By: sargesail
Date Posted: 06 Jul 19 at 8:36am
Tasar Worlds and 2000 Nationals

Posted By: Gordon 1430
Date Posted: 06 Jul 19 at 10:54am
Already done POSH plus another open, cant do Weymouth Regatta as involved in the 400/2000 event at the club. Nationals for the Phantoms at my home club (LOSSC) so sailing those as I have mostly for the last 10 years approx.
Looking at Weston open for single handers  as a summer option as well.

-------------
Gordon
Phantom 1430

Posted By: Oinks
Date Posted: 06 Jul 19 at 11:09am
A return to Poole Week after 15 yr-odd absence, after years of doing Nationals. Just for the fun of it and a mix of W/L and round the cans courses. 

Posted By: davidyacht
Date Posted: 07 Jul 19 at 6:26am
Going to Solo Nations Cup next week; the format is slightly more relaxed than the Solo Nationals ... less intense and more of a sailing holiday in a nice place.  To me the choice of venue of an event is paramount to whether I go.  Shall also be doing Salcombe Yacht Club Regatta, of which I have had continual attendance since 1972!

-------------
Happily living in the past

Date Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 9:05am
Still quite a split in favour of championships. I wonder how many of those are just weekend nationals? Is that format keeping their popularity over regatta weeks? 

I still really value a week long championship. I feel it needs to be more than the regular open meeting two days. 

-------------
RS800 1144

Posted By: Steve411
Date Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 9:10am
Originally posted by mozzy

Still quite a split in favour of championships. I wonder how many of those are just weekend nationals? Is that format keeping their popularity over regatta weeks? 

I still really value a week long championship. I feel it needs to be more than the regular open meeting two days. 
I agree. 4 days at least. Even 3 days seems a bit short to me. You've just got into it and it's almost over.

-------------
Steve B
RS300 411
D-Zero 11

https://www.facebook.com/groups/55859303803" rel="nofollow - RS300 page
D-Zero page

Posted By: Dougaldog
Date Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 11:25am
I've been digging into this topic for a while now and the Championship 'scene' - for want of a better term, is slowly being  a bit clearer, though I'd be guarded about saying that it is now understood.  It seems that the class stalwarts, fan boys, call them what you like will always attend. Then the potential hopefuls, who have aspirations to get 'something' out of attending will be there. It looks like these two groups will enter and turn up, irrespective of location and weather. What is far harder is to determine the behaviour of the middle - here location, dates, weather....plus other 'soft' factors will all play their part and can go a long way to determining if there's a bumper or lean year.
Regatta Weeks are far more straight forward - like the retail trade, location, location and... location, then dates - plus again the soft factors - a group may well decide en masse to do a certain event and what a hoot that can be. 
Good luck though to anyone who thinks that they have the answers to this - a championships can be fun, a regatta week can have hot, almost intense competition.....maybe both are enjoying subtle changes in their offering that just reflect the changing nature of how (and what) we sail!
D

-------------
Dougal H

Posted By: tink
Date Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 7:23pm
I have done Streaker Nats, daughter doing Optimist Nats. My daughter is moving to Toppers, and I would like to do something family friendly with camping where Toppers sailed the same races as me in the Streaker. Was thinking of doing Bass but we have recently moved from the North to the South, anyone recommend something similar to Bass but Hampshire way. 

-------------
Tink
https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

http://proasail.blogspot.com

Posted By: davidyacht
Date Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 11:38am
I have fallen out of love of championships because of the tendency for shorter races often 45 minutes, exclusively windward leeward courses and leeward finish lines.  Which in my opinion does not make for a joyful experience with more than 50 competitors in a fleet.

Our regatta week races have a 90 minute target time, and the courses provide a sense of destination.

For the moment I prefer regatta racing, but I will continue to do the odd championship if I like the venue.

-------------
Happily living in the past

Posted By: Fatboi
Date Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 11:46am
I however prefer the 45 min race not much changes after that time period and I would prefer more races to a few less but longer ones. 

I also like WW/LW, reaches are boring and very little place changes happen they just spread the fleet out.

I do however like it when you have some upwind and some downwind finishes. I think its great if there is a beat home to finish at the top marks on the last race.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 11:57am
Originally posted by tink

anyone recommend something similar to Bass but Hampshire way. 
Well... obviously FED week! No camping on site though. 

Also Chichester YC Dinghy Week up the harbour. 

Going along to Devon and Cornwall there are quite a few week long town regattas. St Mawes, Fowey, Camel, Salcombe. 

-------------
RS800 1144

Date Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 12:11pm
One race a day, 1:15-1:30 hr long, with a finish at a line nearer the shore (or windward so at least you never have a full beat back in) is a very efficient way of running racing, leaving lots of time at the bar or beach. 

but, i think the fleet has to be a decent size and standard to support races of that length otherwise it can dissipate a little after 30-45 minutes. 

waiting on shore for hours of postponement, an hour sail out to the championship course, then three races complete with two general recalls for each, with bit of waiting around for marks to be shifted, then back ashore by 6pm... a couple of those days at a championship and it becomes less appealing as a holiday and certainly sucks the fun out of the evening

-------------
RS800 1144

Posted By: Dougaldog
Date Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 12:48pm
Mozzy - you got that one right - and then some! Worse still is an early afloat, then a wait out around the Committee Boat until the early afternoon, general recalls, the race abandoned when the wind shifts on the first beat, more delays while the course is relaid…. a shambolic race, then more waiting around until late in the day the call is finally made to give up trying to get a second race in. A long sail back in sh*te wind and drizzle and by the time you're back, packed away and in the bar, you really do wonder what the **** it is all about! As said before, there's no 'f in' fun!
D

-------------
Dougal H

Posted By: Old Timer
Date Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Dougaldog

Mozzy - you got that one right - and then some! Worse still is an early afloat, then a wait out around the Committee Boat until the early afternoon, general recalls, the race abandoned when the wind shifts on the first beat, more delays while the course is relaid…. a shambolic race, then more waiting around until late in the day the call is finally made to give up trying to get a second race in. A long sail back in sh*te wind and drizzle and by the time you're back, packed away and in the bar, you really do wonder what the **** it is all about! As said before, there's no 'f in' fun!
D

That is a very glass half empty view of championships ... what about the days with a lazy start whilst you are held ashore for the sea breeze to settle in at a steady 18 knots; the sun shines and the RO bangs out 3 quick races in the steady champagne conditions whilst you do battle with your mates for the chocolates ... then a thrilling reach back to the sandy beach to enjoy a few beers and a BBQ whilst you discuss the days racing ... that is what its all about; championship sailing can be awesome... 

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 3:53pm
Its a source of amusement to me that at AGMs classes seem to vote for long days, no breaks and lots of races for next year, but next year they'll seize any opportunity to come ashore for a lunch break and the last race of the day will always have a few missing.

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by JimC

Its a source of amusement to me that at AGMs classes seem to vote for long days, no breaks and lots of races for next year, but next year they'll seize any opportunity to come ashore for a lunch break and the last race of the day will always have a few missing.

You say that but at the D-Zero Nats we had a pretty much full compliment right to the last race even though we sat around for an hour in the harbour waiting on the wind. Even those who then had a shocker stayed out.

Next year the only tweak we are going to make is to go 3,3,2 to enable an early get away on the Sunday as that was preferred (2 didnt sail the last day at all, only 2 went in after the first race on the last day).

For me, with a family, a long weekend works much better than a week long event. I can get a pass for a long weekend. Perhaps when the family is a bit older I will get to some of the regatta weeks.

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
D-Zero GBR188 https://www.facebook.com/groups/dinghies/permalink/2384300638276034/?sale_post_id=2384300638276034" rel="nofollow - For Sale
Ex Laser/8.1
Ex

Posted By: Gfinch
Date Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 8:06pm
Norfolk Week again this year for the 4th time. Late to the party as it is 70 years old, but it has a fleet start for N12s and any other fleet that turns up in numbers, alongside handicap racing. Ok getting up at 0500 to race is an odd holiday, but one race per day (outside of weekends) means you get the rest of the day to actually be on holiday with friends in a cracking part of the country.

http://www.norfolkweek.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - http://www.norfolkweek.co.uk/

-------------
3513 - National 12
136069 - Laser
32541 - Mirror

Date Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by jeffers

Originally posted by JimC

You say that but at the D-Zero Nats we had a pretty much full compliment right to the last race even though we sat around for an hour in the harbour waiting on the wind. Even those who then had a shocker stayed out.

Next year the only tweak we are going to make is to go 3,3,2 to enable an early get away on the Sunday as that was preferred (2 didnt sail the last day at all, only 2 went in after the first race on the last day).

For me, with a family, a long weekend works much better than a week long event. I can get a pass for a long weekend. Perhaps when the family is a bit older I will get to some of the regatta weeks.

Bit different for a three day event though. Naturally you'll want to cram a bit more in, to mitigate against losing a day and just to get enough races worthy of a championship. 

-------------
RS800 1144

Posted By: Oli
Date Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 11:16am
why do championships have to have the same daily format at all?

example....

day 1: 1 long race of up to 2 hours to get everyone back into it, have as many generals as you like etc
day 2: 2/3 b2b races of 1 hour
day 3 3/4 races of 30-40 mins
day 4: 5/6 races of no more than 30 mins
day 5: 1/2 races of 45 mins to get everyone home

all times are for expected times for the last place finisher.

imo only way to decide a champion is to test them across as many formats as possible.

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/OJSPhoto" rel="nofollow - OJSPhotography
https://www.youtube.com/ojsphotography/" rel="nofollow - YouTube Channel
RS800 868
Marconi SC

Date Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 12:10pm
How do you level the scoring though? 

-------------
RS800 1144

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 12:19pm

How do you level the scoring though? 

Why do you need to just used the std WS low point system.

IMO it would make little difference in the longer formats races, the good guys will always find a way through. The shorter races give the mere mortals a chance though.

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
D-Zero GBR188 https://www.facebook.com/groups/dinghies/permalink/2384300638276034/?sale_post_id=2384300638276034" rel="nofollow - For Sale
Ex Laser/8.1
Ex

Posted By: Sam.Spoons
Date Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 12:21pm
Fleet racing? You don't need to, why should the guys who are better in long races gain extra points for winning one?

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"

Date Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 12:30pm
Think the reason I like the British moth nationals so much is because it’s like across between a nationals and a regatta week.
Starts on a Wednesday ( most of us get there on a Tuesday for more drinking/chatting time lol )and finish’s on Saturday.
Two races on Wednesday, first one being a practice race.
Three races on Thursday 
Two races on Friday
One race on Saturday so people can pack up early to get home.

This format gives plenty of time for the social side with the added advantage of being able to slot in extra races in the last two days if we lose races to the weather. 

Date Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 12:42pm
because with standard low point scoring the example above skews the regatta toward day 3 and 4. It therefore favours the conditions you happen to have one those days and short course sailing (starting). 

The thing I like about a 5 day event is it tests over a range of conditions. If you don't weight the scoring it shifts that on to the conditions you get on the two short race days. 

Also, whilst the good guys always find their way through, and whilst a I agree that most significant overtaking opportunities are over after 45 minutes i still think a race of 1.5 hours has more value than a race of 45 minutes, although probably not as much value as two 45 minute races, if you get what I mean. 

For fleets over 50 boats then sub-30 minute races are pretty unfair and you'd struggle to get starts off. You'd maybe have to split down to flights, so again you'd have to do something fancy with scoring. 

-------------
RS800 1144

Date Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 12:52pm

because with standard low point scoring the example above skews the regatta toward day 3 and 4. It therefore favours the conditions you happen to have one those days and short course sailing (starting).

But it's the same for everybody

The thing I like about a 5 day event is it tests over a range of conditions. If you don't weight the scoring it shifts that on to the conditions you get on the two short race days.

True but as before it's the same for everybody

Also, whilst the good guys always find their way through, and whilst a I agree that most significant overtaking opportunities are over after 45 minutes i still think a race of 1.5 hours has more value than a race of 45 minutes, although probably not as much value as two 45 minute races, if you get what I mean.

Agreed

For fleets over 50 boats then sub-30 minute races are pretty unfair and you'd struggle to get starts off. You'd maybe have to split down to flights, so again you'd have to do something fancy with scoring. 

Agreed. Simple truth is you'll never please everybody Confused

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 1:04pm
Yes, it's the same for everybody. But is it testing the skills we want to test at a national championships? 

Conditions change day to day more than within a single day. One of the characteristics I like to see in a champion is someone who can analyse a new race course. When you have several races on the same day often by race 2 or 3 everyone has figured out the track and it becomes more about boat speed and starting. Spreading the races over the week favours the skill of analysing a new race track.  

Similarly, doing more races on one day is the same for everyone. But it does mean more of your races will be done in a certain condition. Yes, we can get bad weather weeks where this happens anyway. But by loading one or two days the chances are you will get a less well rounded sailor. I like to see a national champion have to perform across as variable conditions as are race-able and the bets chance to get that is to spread out over a week. 

So yeah, not weighting the races isn't unfair. But I don't think it poses as good a test for determining a national champion. 

On the other hand, I get the point about testing sailor over different formats and would like to see that. But without skewing the regatta to one format or another, or one condition or another. 

-------------
RS800 1144

Date Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 3:44pm
Maybe then :-
Day 1 one practice race, two medium length races to count,
Day 2 one long and two short races,
Day 3 two short followed by one long
Day 4 two medium races

Or some other variant so days have a mix of long short and medium format races.

I still don't like the idea of valuing races differently but I get the worry that some days would be favoured.

TBF it's of academic interest to me anyway as my championship days are in the past.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Posted By: KazRob
Date Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 4:54pm
Why are your championships days in the past? That's the good thing about them - no matter what your fitness, talent, budget or circumstances they are always (in my opinion) a great chance to get together and enjoy your class of boat with others, far more than just a weekend open event

-------------
OK 2139 & 2148

Posted By: Daniel Holman
Date Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 8:18pm

Yes, it's the same for everybody. But is it testing the skills we want to test at a national championships? 

Conditions change day to day more than within a single day. One of the characteristics I like to see in a champion is someone who can analyse a new race course. When you have several races on the same day often by race 2 or 3 everyone has figured out the track and it becomes more about boat speed and starting. Spreading the races over the week favours the skill of analysing a new race track.  

Similarly, doing more races on one day is the same for everyone. But it does mean more of your races will be done in a certain condition. Yes, we can get bad weather weeks where this happens anyway. But by loading one or two days the chances are you will get a less well rounded sailor. I like to see a national champion have to perform across as variable conditions as are race-able and the bets chance to get that is to spread out over a week. 

So yeah, not weighting the races isn't unfair. But I don't think it poses as good a test for determining a national champion. 

On the other hand, I get the point about testing sailor over different formats and would like to see that. But without skewing the regatta to one format or another, or one condition or another. 

Agree with all Mozzy has said. Reckon races should be more like 1h plus with 2 laps i.e. getting decent length legs so it is not just boat on boat. A bit of variety in courses and even a bit of point to point is excellent IMO. Else its a bit youth squad procedural stuff.

I think that in adult amateur classes, doing much more than 2h of hard racing in a day repeatedly is a big ask, as is 4h plus on the water repeatedly. More is Fine for weekends or aspirational kids!

Issue being now we all have goldfish like attention spans, the "spare" time at regattas, esp those longer than 3 day weekend feels uncomfortably like a waste sometimes. But it should be good to kick back with like minded individuals.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 10:06pm
This ^ 

Originally posted by KazRob

Why are your championships days in the past? That's the good thing about them - no matter what your fitness, talent, budget or circumstances they are always (in my opinion) a great chance to get together and enjoy your class of boat with others, far more than just a weekend open event

No argument with that but my level of fitness at 66 discourages me from two+ day events.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 11 Jul 19 at 12:52pm
It was the most extreme example tbh, one with most of the options on the table and as you’ve pointed out Mozzy it wouldn’t suit every fleet, but then what regatta/championship does? It’s all compromises to get the fleet away, but sticking to one format the whole time doesn’t tell a complete story and is also a bit boring after a while.

Your overall placing on each day could be your points, so if you won each day on a 5 day event your score would be 5. Each day is as important as the previous, not just the individual races but how you handle the differences between each day.

-------------
RS800 868
Marconi SC

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 12 Jul 19 at 2:12pm
Interesting idea Oli. You thinking each day is an individual event with a different format, then the winner of the week is the one with the lowest daily score?

-------------
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446

Date Posted: 12 Jul 19 at 2:27pm
thats the crux of it Rupert. 

-------------
RS800 868
Marconi SC

Posted By: tink
Date Posted: 12 Jul 19 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Daniel Holman

I think that in adult amateur classes, doing much more than 2h of hard racing in a day repeatedly is a big ask, as is 4h plus on the water repeatedly. More is Fine for weekends or aspirational kids!

sort the family logistics, get a pass out, pack your boat up, tow it somewhere etc etc for two hours a day sailing - beyond pointless. I attended my first nationals this year and was disappointed with too few hours of sailing. Kids do up to 6 hours for a week long championship with a possible rest day. Possibly I am anti social but to sit around drinking tea and talk about sailing rather than sailing is completely missing the point. 

-------------
Tink
https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

http://proasail.blogspot.com

Date Posted: 15 Jul 19 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Oli

Your overall placing on each day could be your points, so if you won each day on a 5 day event your score would be 5. Each day is as important as the previous, not just the individual races but how you handle the differences between each day.

I wouldn't mind that. I guess it's the difficulty with breaking from tradition. Maybe easier with new fleets, or fleets being resurrected than something well established. 

Originally posted by tink

Originally posted by Daniel Holman

sort the family logistics, get a pass out, pack your boat up, tow it somewhere etc etc for two hours a day sailing - beyond pointless. I attended my first nationals this year and was disappointed with too few hours of sailing. Kids do up to 6 hours for a week long championship with a possible rest day. Possibly I am anti social but to sit around drinking tea and talk about sailing rather than sailing is completely missing the point. 

Was your first nationals a week long event? I think this makes a massive difference. 

Personally, I can hack 3 or at an absolute push 4 races a day for a weekend event, and still enjoy it.

But, for a week it becomes too much of a good thing. The fatigue is one thing, but also it just leaves the rest of the day feeling rushed. I want to waltz down to the boat, slowly peel back the cover, drink a cuppa, enjoy a couple of hours the water. Then get back with plenty of time to get a post race beer, then sort my kit out, get a decent sit down, probably more tea, and a bit of grub. If the world was perfect this would lead back to the sailing club balcony for sunset with another couple of drinks and catching up with friends. People may talk about sailing, but I will happily listen to funny stories about family pets, or engage in a group debate over whether the bright star next to the moon is a actually a star at all, or a satellite, or a plane, or a UFO.  

-------------
RS800 1144

Posted By: H2
Date Posted: 15 Jul 19 at 1:23pm
Slight deviation but I did a sprint event last weekend which was eight races of around 10 to 15 minutes each for the lead boat and really enjoyed it. Would not want to do it every weekend but its always good to mix things up to keep things interesting and to learn new skills!

With regard Nationals we recently did a class wide survey asking people things like how many days, how many races per day, how long each race should be and the majority came back wanting a three day event with three races per day of around 45 to 50 minutes for the lead boat. So, what people wanted was what we had been doing!

-------------
H2 #115

Posted By: iGRF
Date Posted: 15 Jul 19 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by KazRob

Why are your championships days in the past?

Because he hasn't got the time or can be asked to spend three nights a week in the Gym pushing sets of 50 press ups, 120 squats, 120 situps, 30 Chinups, Burpees, Squat thrusts et al, then the other nights running three to five miles chasing personal bests?
Then tuning the kit with a training partner hours on end, boning up on the bloody rules, running a course/ tactics diary, getting your head right....

When you did it already xxyears ago?

On a personal note we've started running two races on a sunday morning because we've got some new keen members, bloody hell did I have to have a lie down after 2 and a half hours, can't see me doing the second race that often...

On a positive note I don't mind doing things like that round island bash at Sheppy even though it's a bit of an enduro, but what I can't stand is all the waiting about on the water doing bugger all on multi race events.

-------------
https://www.corekite.co.uk/snow-accessories-11-c.asp" rel="nofollow - Snow Equipment Deals      https://www.corekite.co.uk" rel="nofollow - New Core Kite website

Date Posted: 15 Jul 19 at 8:09pm
So it's laziness Wink..... Well it does feel like that sometimes. But, I'm 66 and not as fit as I was in my Raceboard days. I can't sail three 60 minute+ races a day for 5 days anymore (TBF I probably couldn't back in the day either really but neither did I do all the training iGRF alludes too).

I still love the racing and if I get into the top half of the fleet at the (very competitive) club I'm happy for the moment.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 17 Jul 19 at 2:47pm
I'm not seeing many big numbers nationals on the horizon, RS200s are capped to 100, so Salcombe Merlin Week might end up being the biggest fleet dinghy event of the summer... 

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/219759/Whats-the-formula-at-Salcombe-Gin-Merlin-Week" rel="nofollow - https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/219759/Whats-the-formula-at-Salcombe-Gin-Merlin-Week

-------------
RS800 1144

Posted By: Gfinch
Date Posted: 18 Jul 19 at 8:54pm
Salcombe Yacht Club Regatta Week could overtake 120 boats....something in common about the two events though.

-------------
3513 - National 12
136069 - Laser
32541 - Mirror

Posted By: sargesail
Date Posted: 18 Jul 19 at 9:25pm

I'm not seeing many big numbers nationals on the horizon, RS200s are capped to 100, so Salcombe Merlin Week might end up being the biggest fleet dinghy event of the summer... 
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/219759/Whats-the-formula-at-Salcombe-Gin-Merlin-Week" rel="nofollow - https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/219759/Whats-the-formula-at-Salcombe-Gin-Merlin-Week

Biggest adult dinghy event....

Date Posted: 19 Jul 19 at 9:05am
Yeah, sorry, I was talking about single gathering of a class. I imagine a few of the multi-class events will see more than 120.  

And to be fair where toppers and oppies get more boats, they don't get that many more sailors. So a pretty good achievement for Merlin Week and even more impressive considering the ~180 entries.  More sailors wanted to sail Merlin in Salcombe than any other event in the UK. 

Last year seems like a bumper year for UK nationals. Solos, supernovas and squibs all broke 100. Then with the RS games saw a boost to those fleets. 

Will the solos and supernovas break 100 this year, or any of the Aero fleets? The 200s are limited to less than 100 at torbay. We could be about to see the first year with no adult class with over 100 boat nationals in about 100 years!

-------------
RS800 1144

Date Posted: 19 Jul 19 at 1:45pm
Think the Supernova had over 100 entries this year, not sure how many actually sailed .

Date Posted: 19 Jul 19 at 2:50pm
101 entries, 94 raced  https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/219634/Supernova-National-Championships" rel="nofollow - https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/219634/Supernova-National-Championships

-------------
RS800 1144

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com