Print Page | Close Window

Lightning 368 v Streaker. Help me choose.

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: General
Forum Name: Choosing a boat
Forum Discription: Ask any questions about the sport!
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13266
Printed Date: 19 Mar 24 at 7:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lightning 368 v Streaker. Help me choose.
Posted By: Rusty69
Subject: Lightning 368 v Streaker. Help me choose.
Date Posted: 23 Feb 19 at 7:31pm
Lightning 368 v streaker. Please help me to decide.

I am 6 ft 2, 13 stone, wrong side of 45.

I bought a Europe a couple of years back, and whilst it has been ok, it was the wrong boat for me.

I need something

1.I can car top single handed with trolley and mast.
2.Get under the boom easily
3.Mininimal maintenance.
4.Sub 500 quid.

I have discounted the Solo due to weight and Aero due to cost.

I like the idea of a centreboard as long as the casing doesn't get in the way.

Many thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 23 Feb 19 at 8:31pm
Laser would be the most obvious answer. I’ve never sailed one, but always liked the look of the Lightning.

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 24 Feb 19 at 8:33am
A £500 lightning is still likely to be fairly competitve as the build has been fairly stable for many years.

A £500 Streaker is unlikely to be as it will be wood or early GRP so will be heavy and/or soft.

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Date Posted: 24 Feb 19 at 8:39am
Originally posted by jeffers

A £500 lightning is still likely to be fairly competitve as the build has been fairly stable for many years.
A £500 Streaker is unlikely to be as it will be wood or early GRP so will be heavy and/or soft.

Thanks. It sounds like the lighting might be the better bet then. I think a laser wouldn't be as comfortable. I'm not interested in racing (gasp) so competitiveness isn't as important to me as weight.

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 24 Feb 19 at 10:14am
I think you need to sail both to find out if they actually work any better for you than the Europe. Neither is generously sized.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 19 at 10:39am
Originally posted by JimC

I think you need to sail both to find out if they actually work any better for you than the Europe. Neither is generously sized.

Probably right. 

I was going by what @Rupert suggested in another thread worked for him.I am a bit tall for all of the smaller boats, but the bigger boats won't easily go on a roof rack. It will all be a bit of a compromise at the end of the day I should think.

Posted By: Sam.Spoons
Date Posted: 24 Feb 19 at 12:25pm
TBH I'd say that for your needs a Laser would be ideal for lots of reasons. I know you've said you think it might not be too comfortable but I don't think you'd find it too bad and the boom is nice and high. Plus there are lots of very cheap ones out there, used spares are also cheap and easily available. But I still wouldn't fancy getting one on and off the roof on my own (but I am 5' 6", 12 stone and the wrong side of 65Wink).

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"

Date Posted: 24 Feb 19 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

TBH I'd say that for your needs a Laser would be ideal for lots of reasons. I know you've said you think it might not be too comfortable but I don't think you'd find it too bad and the boom is nice and high. Plus there are lots of very cheap ones out there, used spares are also cheap and easily available. But I still wouldn't fancy getting one on and off the roof on my own (but I am 5' 6", 12 stone and the wrong side of 65Wink).

Two other things that put me of the laser, maybe wrongly, the sail can't be taken down as per Europe and lightning, which is a major plus point for me. The other is a centreboard would be better. I take your point though, perhaps i will look at Lasers too.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 19 at 12:57pm
Yup, both valid points. Dagger vs CB has plusses and minuses, no CB case cluttering up the cockpit but more likelihood of damage if you ground it and launching and recovery is easier with a CB.

You can wrap the sail around the mast and lifting the rig out is not difficult unless it's blowing hard but, I do agree that a sail that can be lowered on the water is better.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 24 Feb 19 at 1:28pm
Anyone want to swap Europe for Lightning 368 in Cambs area?

Date Posted: 24 Feb 19 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Rusty69

If you are on Facebook then a chap called Jon Tweedle is working hard on the Europe class and is seeking used boats for people. He is based in Oxford (I think he hangs around here occasionally too, I'll let him know).

As for Lightnings look on the class website or their FB page there are usually a few around. I think all the ones at Hunts (in Cambs) are in regular use these days but if you wanted to give one a try Iam sure one of the people there would be happy to let you have a go. The one I have there is awaiting a little TLC but could be sailed.

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Date Posted: 24 Feb 19 at 1:52pm

If you are on Facebook then a chap called Jon Tweedle is working hard on the Europe class and is seeking used boats for people. He is based in Oxford (I think he hangs around here occasionally too, I'll let him know).
As for Lightnings look on the class website or their FB page there are usually a few around. I think all the ones at Hunts (in Cambs) are in regular use these days but if you wanted to give one a try Iam sure one of the people there would be happy to let you have a go. The one I have there is awaiting a little TLC but could be sailed.

Many thanks. I am not on Facebook. Maybe time to sign up.

I don't mind one that needs minor work. Assume hunts scc in St Ives.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 19 at 2:21pm

Thats the place yes, drop me a PM if you like and I will see what can be oragnised if you fancy a go.

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Date Posted: 24 Feb 19 at 2:24pm

Thats the place yes, drop me a PM if you like and I will see what can be oragnised if you fancy a go.

Thats very kind Paul. Thanks very much.

Posted By: KazRob
Date Posted: 25 Feb 19 at 12:48pm
If you could live without the car topping by yourself an OK might be a possible. Although the boom is low when sheeted in upwind (like the Europe) it pops up a good way when tacking and the cockpit is really deep and clear of obstructions so absolutely no problems at all for tall people to sail them. The deep cockpit and traveller right at the front also make it a really comfortable boat to sail with no need to end up on your knees.
You can roof rack them but it's best to do it the right way up on the trolley rather than upside down and you'd need a bit of help tbh (~75kgs) 
There is a bargain of a composite boat with a carbon rig on ApolloDuck
http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.com/boats-for-sale/sailing-dinghies/ok" rel="nofollow - https://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.com/boats-for-sale/sailing-dinghies/ok

-------------
OK 2249
D-1 138

Date Posted: 25 Feb 19 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by KazRob

If you could live without the car topping by yourself an OK might be a possible. Although the boom is low when sheeted in upwind (like the Europe) it pops up a good way when tacking and the cockpit is really deep and clear of obstructions so absolutely no problems at all for tall people to sail them. The deep cockpit and traveller right at the front also make it a really comfortable boat to sail with no need to end up on your knees.
You can roof rack them but it's best to do it the right way up on the trolley rather than upside down and you'd need a bit of help tbh (~75kgs) 
There is a bargain of a composite boat with a carbon rig on ApolloDuck
http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.com/boats-for-sale/sailing-dinghies/ok" rel="nofollow - https://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.com/boats-for-sale/sailing-dinghies/ok

Looks good, but too heavy I think,as heavy as a Solo.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 19 at 5:40pm
Hull only (with CB and fittings) the OK is 72kg compared to the Solo's 70kg but is probably slightly lighter ready to sail due to an unstayed carbon mast. A Blaze is also 72kg (H/O with cb, racks and fittings) but with a bigger rig and rigging it's is probably a few kg more again. TBH none are really suitable for car topping without help loading on and off. A shame as the Blaze would be a superb choice for blasting up and down on the sea (though you'd need to up your budget a little too....).

Lightning 368 is 10kg heavier than the Europe, a foot longer and an inch narrower. If that doesn't improve matters over the Europe you probably need to look again at Lasers......

edit :- I sailed OKs in my youth and have had the odd sail since, fab boat. I also had a trial sail in a Europe a couple of years ago and had the one I was looking at not had some issues I think I would have bought it, lovely boat to sail.

-------------
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Date Posted: 25 Feb 19 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Hull only (with CB and fittings) the OK is 72kg compared to the Solo's 70kg but is probably slightly lighter ready to sail due to an unstayed carbon mast. A Blaze is also 72kg (H/O with cb, racks and fittings) but with a bigger rig and rigging it's is probably a few kg more again. TBH none are really suitable for car topping without help loading on and off. A shame as the Blaze would be a superb choice for blasting up and down on the sea (though you'd need to up your budget a little too....).

Lightning 368 is 10kg heavier than the Europe, a foot longer and an inch narrower. If that doesn't improve matters over the Europe you probably need to look again at Lasers......

edit :- I sailed OKs in my youth and have had the odd sail since, fab boat. I also had a trial sail in a Europe a couple of years ago and had the one I was looking at not had some issues I think I would have bought it, lovely boat to sail.

Yep. I will keep my eyes open for a cheap and cheerful lightning. Meanwhile, today I put the mast more upright in the europe in the hope that it will give me a bit more room beneath the boom.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com