Forum Discription: 'How to' section for dinghy questions and answers
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12954
Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 1:04pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Race coaching
Posted By: H2
Subject: Race coaching
Date Posted: 15 Jan 18 at 12:38pm
Was looking to see if there are any race coaching weekends or even longer (up to a week) in the UK that people would recommend. I see that the Andrew Simpson Sailing Centre offer some weekend courses but are there any other providers? Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: davidyacht
Date Posted: 15 Jan 18 at 2:09pm
Talk to Mark Rushall?  Always found his training to be first class.  You might also talk to Taxi since he makes your sails ... I experienced an excellent day of training with him.  Wearing a Solo hat Charlie Cumbley is very good.  Richard Whitworth also does coaching.

-------------
Happily living in the past

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 15 Jan 18 at 2:21pm
Quite a few training centres will offer the basic rya racing course,but as an experianced racer it's not going to offer you much.

I'd start with class association. They often run open training days or weekends. Failing that they should recommend a coach. Having a coach who knows the boat will be very useful if it's boat speed and handling you are looking to focus on.

Having a private coach will be expensive. Talking 200-500 a day depending on their CV. So best to get a group together and split costs.

A lot of good sailors don't make the best coaches, but justify a premium off previous results. Look for a coach which can offer support which lasts beyond the coaching session itself: training plans, goal setting, video analysis etc.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 18 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by davidyacht

Talk to Mark Rushall?  Always found his training to be first class.  You might also talk to Taxi since he makes your sails ... I experienced an excellent day of training with him.  Wearing a Solo hat Charlie Cumbley is very good.  Richard Whitworth also does coaching.

Have reached out to Jim as per your guidance on FB - will wait to hear back!

Posted By: zippyRN
Date Posted: 17 Jan 18 at 1:28am
Originally posted by mozzy

Quite a few training centres will offer the basic rya racing course,but as an experianced racer it's not going to offer you much.

iirc what used to be Level  4   is basically the same  syllabus as  the 'red racign badge'  in the youth scheme  i.e. the first of three  levels ... 

Posted By: By The Lee
Date Posted: 17 Jan 18 at 9:05pm
Which class?

Date Posted: 18 Jan 18 at 8:14am
Originally posted by By The Lee

Which class?

err...H2!

Posted By: Gordon 1430
Date Posted: 18 Jan 18 at 3:07pm
HI H2
I paid for a days coaching which was very useful but limited as we only had his Laser to use as a coach boat. With me in the Phantom and force 2/3 I had to keep stopping to allow him to see what was going on. so my advice is make sure you get the use of a rib and video camera to get the best out of your day.
I would also say by having a few guys together the coach if he is not class familiar will be able to contrast and compare to see whats working.
Even without the above I thought the day very useful and do look back at the comments and tips he gave me to remind me of what should work.
Good luck and when you see the light we will welcome you in the mighty Phantom!Smile
Gordon 

-------------
Gordon
Phantom 1430

Date Posted: 18 Jan 18 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Gordon 1430

HI H2
I paid for a days coaching which was very useful but limited as we only had his Laser to use as a coach boat. With me in the Phantom and force 2/3 I had to keep stopping to allow him to see what was going on. so my advice is make sure you get the use of a rib and video camera to get the best out of your day.
I would also say by having a few guys together the coach if he is not class familiar will be able to contrast and compare to see whats working.
Even without the above I thought the day very useful and do look back at the comments and tips he gave me to remind me of what should work.
Good luck and when you see the light we will welcome you in the mighty Phantom!Smile
Gordon 

Hey Gordon - thanks for the useful feedback. It came down to a decision between a Phantom and a H2, with neither at my club there was no fleet issue to split them so I test sailed and loved the H2 but the Phantom is a lovely boat and I would not be surprised if one day I was seen on the dark side if only for a bit of variety. As we now have a ice little fleet of three H2s and a few more wavering at my club it was the right decision for now!

I have ended up booking two days with Taff out at Pembroke which will be him in a rib with a camera and I will focus on my sailing skills rather than boat set up necessarily. Have also managed to coax Jim from HD to give the class one day around one of our opens to help us with rig set up which will probably result in multi boat testing a a rig guide - he is best placed as he designed the rig for the H2. I might also get one or two more days with Ross Harvey out of HISC if we can find a date that works so hopefully that covers all the different approaches and bases!

Posted By: Gordon 1430
Date Posted: 18 Jan 18 at 4:44pm
Hi H2
A friend of mine was looking at coming back into dinghy sailing a year or so ago and I suggested the H2 as opposed to a Finn or Solo as he did not really fancy ether. He now owns the Orange one at Warsash and by now hopefully he has learnt to tack it! 
Sounds like you really will have no excuse to be slow after all your coaching.
Cheers
Gordon
Lee on Solent SC home of the 2019 Phantom Nationals 

-------------
Gordon
Phantom 1430

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com