Forum Discription: 'How to' section for dinghy questions and answers
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12448
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 6:28pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Topper Repair
Posted By: rprene
Subject: Topper Repair
Date Posted: 12 Jul 16 at 12:33am
I have a topper sailboat whose transom plate has been damaged and needed to be removed. The problem is, there are now holes where the screws went in that need to be filled in before I can screw in the new plate. How do I fill in holes in the plastic?

Replies:
Posted By: Buzz
Date Posted: 12 Jul 16 at 2:44pm
Doesn't the transom plate use the same holes as the damaged one?

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 12 Jul 16 at 4:13pm
I think the transom plates changed but the mounting holes were the same and they have a captive nut set inside the hull.

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Posted By: Buzz
Date Posted: 12 Jul 16 at 4:32pm
Yes to replace the transom plate you usually cut a hole in the boat so that you can get at the captive nuts with your hand. Then you weld the boat back together again with a plastic welding gun and plastic welding rods.

Posted By: piglet
Date Posted: 12 Jul 16 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Buzz

Yes to replace the transom plate you usually cut a hole in the boat so that you can get at the captive nuts with your hand. Then you weld the boat back together again with a plastic welding gun and plastic welding rods.

No, don't do that.
When a captive nut falls off inside use wire/fishing line through the bung hole to pull a new M6 bolt from inside.
The OP says he changed the plate and has unused holes, this is only possible if the hull is a 'pre-production' moulding with recesses in the transom to take the over complicated transom assembly.
Unless we are talking about the 2 rivet holes that hold the inner plate?
Perhaps the OP could clarify?

Posted By: rprene
Date Posted: 13 Jul 16 at 12:06am
I didn't see any nuts. The screws seem to have been held in by some kind of sealant. The holes are now too big for the screws... I am thinking that I might just have to apply caulking to the holes and then use some kind of cement to glue the transom plate onto the hull...

Date Posted: 13 Jul 16 at 9:45am
Assuming this is a later boat with a flat transom, think the moulds changed in the late 1#,###'s
The nut plate is inside so you wouldn't see it.
If the screws you removed are other than M5 machine threads then the boat has been previously 'repaired' and you are in uncharted water so to speak.
There should be 5 x M5 screws + the 2 screws & nuts at the top.
It is quite possible that the screws have been fitted with sealant by previous owner(s)
But I can't explain why the holes are oversize, they shouldn't be.

Posted By: Riv
Date Posted: 13 Jul 16 at 4:09pm
As I'm responsible for a fleet of Topper this is interesting. Any chance of some photos?

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 13 Jul 16 at 4:49pm
If the holes need filling you probably need to get it done properly as it is unlikely anything much will stick to the material as it is a type of polythene IIRC. Boat yards that fix toppers (and trilam/rotomould boats) have a special tool similar to that used for vinyl flooring to heat the repair strips and melt them in. 

I would check the screws/bolts first though as advised above. Sticking a new transom plate to the hull just wont work.

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Date Posted: 13 Jul 16 at 5:23pm
Jeffers is right, Toppers are Polyprop and there isn't yet an adhesive that will bond it.
Trilams are Polyethylene, same applies.
PP & PE can both be welded with a hot air welder, you need the correct filler rods and it is skilled.

In this case, welding the holes isn't going to help, there has to be something behind.
How big are the holes rprene?

Posted By: Oatsandbeans
Date Posted: 14 Jul 16 at 7:45am
3M have an acrylic adhesive Scotchweld 810 that they say will bond to PE. I have used this in th past on a Feva as a back up when also using a mechanical repair. Wouldn't rely on it ifor a highly loaded joint but as a "belt and braces" approach it could be helpful.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com