Category: Dinghy classes
Forum Name: Dinghy development
Forum Discription: The latest moves in the dinghy market
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12312
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 9:57pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why always new boats ... not ...
Posted By: 2547
Subject: Why always new boats ... not ...
Date Posted: 15 Feb 16 at 3:04pm
Seems the industry keeps innovating new boats ...

What I'd like to see is innovation in event formats; membership and club options and ways to increase participation ...

Replies:
Posted By: iGRF
Date Posted: 15 Feb 16 at 3:09pm
Because no-one shows up these days unless the weather forecast suits them?

Although I'm still trying to get a sponsor interested in supporting a new format sailing series based on bandings, so far they haven't said no, but nor have they said yes, as is often the case in these protracted discussions, I'm about to have another go offering them a taster and if it works for them, maybe I could come up with something that might interest us all..

Having said all that, it would still involve hitching up the trailer and travelling but isn't that what we are all becoming increasingly reluctant to do?

-------------
https://www.corekite.co.uk/snow-accessories-11-c.asp" rel="nofollow - Snow Equipment Deals      https://www.corekite.co.uk" rel="nofollow - New Core Kite website

Posted By: 2547
Date Posted: 15 Feb 16 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Although I'm still trying to get a sponsor interested in supporting a new format sailing series based on bandings, so far they haven't said no, but nor have they said yes, as is often the case in these protracted discussions, I'm about to have another go offering them a taster and if it works for them, maybe I could come up with something that might interest us all..

Having said all that, it would still involve hitching up the trailer and travelling but isn't that what we are all becoming increasingly reluctant to do?

Sites like wind guru have certainly taken their toll, perhaps events need to make sure they offer something to do even if the weather does stop play. 

Why are people still reluctant to travel to opens these days?

Posted By: The Moo
Date Posted: 15 Feb 16 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by 2547

Originally posted by iGRF

Sites like wind guru have certainly taken their toll, perhaps events need to make sure they offer something to do even if the weather does stop play. 
Why are people still reluctant to travel to opens these days?

Because the sport is populated by a mainly ageing demographic who cannot be 'rsed with the faff?

Well that's my excuse

Posted By: Neptune
Date Posted: 15 Feb 16 at 8:18pm
I go to venues I like or haven't been to before, if I go to an event and it's poorly run or the launching is rubbish, or sailing area massively one sided then I don't go back, simples. Thankfully most clubs on our circuit at least are quite good.

I also used to get too hung up on windguru and now provided the weather for the weekend hasn't been named I don't think that would stop me, better to go, see friends and have a laugh at the very least.

-------------
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 15 Feb 16 at 9:11pm
Short course racing has taken off in several classes, slalom in others, and of course team racing is always there in the background for those who feel like it. Can be fun in unsuitable boats, too.

-------------
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 15 Feb 16 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by 2547

Seems the industry keeps innovating new boats ...
What I'd like to see is innovation in event formats; membership and club options and ways to increase participation ...

Of course, it's not either/or. New boats and fresh management ideas would be very welcome.

Given that weekday evenings are almost universally more popular than Sundays, why do most clubs insist on still holding their more prestigious events on Sundays? Do any clubs hold one off trophy races on a Weds night, or is it just one long evening series?

This morning I sailed a rotomoulded boat with a missing top batten. But by heck it's fun, and I reckon I'm the fastest Hobie Wave sailor in the Caribbean right now! 20kts and 30 degrees is a winning combination...

Posted By: salmon80
Date Posted: 16 Feb 16 at 7:09am
Open meetings offer a way for better sailors to get competition they can't get at club level

I found a club with a high standard where I can't win its excellent. so I no longer travel it's too much effort if you can't keep your boat on a driveway

Posted By: turnturtle
Date Posted: 16 Feb 16 at 9:52am
Travelling requires a lot of time and commitment.  It can be worth the effort, but over the past few years I've found I often returned home disappointed and I'd felt I would have been better off using that day to go to a better location (better forecast) for some windsurfing.  Windguru has undoubtedly had some ill-effects on organised sailing, but conversely internet forecasting and information sharing has made the lush green grass very accessible for nomadic sailing.  

The reason I haven't taken the plunge on the D-Zero (which is a lovely boat and meets my desires in so many respects) is simple - I don't want to travel around to get the best out it.  And at the moment there isn't a fleet, or even a mini fleet, anywhere near me. 

I'm not sure how this helps the point raised by the OP.... I can't see myself choosing to particularly go to a different format event over another.  I know I wouldn't bother travelling to a handicap event again.  That really is a complete waste of time.  I do think shared events are good though- especially where classes have some natural affinity- collaborate not compete would be my recommendation.  

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 16 Feb 16 at 11:06am
Originally posted by salmon80

Open meetings offer a way for better sailors to get competition they can't get at club level

I found a club with a high standard where I can't win its excellent. so I no longer travel it's too much effort if you can't keep your boat on a driveway

I am a member at a club that definitely satisfies my competitive edge even if I do only get to handicap race. There are currently 4 other boats of the same class at the club and my first aim is to always beat them. If the spreadsheet says I did ok as well then that is a bonus.

As for travelling, I have travelled more with the D-Zero than I have in any other class I have sailed. The reasons are that it is a great fleet and is growing nicely with a good bunch of regular travellers and new faces appearing all the time.

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Posted By: gordon
Date Posted: 20 Feb 16 at 4:52pm
Here in Bray near Dublin we run the Midsummer Twilight regatta. 3 evenings of racing with first gun at 19.00. We aim to sail it the fist evening high tides after school exams finish. It kicks of our summer season.

It is our most successful regatta.

-------------
Gordon

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com