Print Page | Close Window

Should the post count be removed from forum?

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: Your ideas for this website
Forum Name: Your thoughts for YachtsandYachting.com
Forum Discription: What do you think we should be featuring on YachtsandYachting.com
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11988
Printed Date: 16 Apr 24 at 6:29pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Should the post count be removed from forum?
Posted By: turnturtle
Subject: Should the post count be removed from forum?
Date Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 9:08am
As per the things to love about sailing thread....

My view is that user categories and post counts are just a functionality hangover from when forums pre-dated other forms of social media.  I don't feel that they add much, not any more.  If anything I think they can sway perceptions and create unwarranted prejudice about our posts, what was actually written, and certainly the threading of any conversation, can be lost in some circumstances. Above all, I think they are a barrier to newbies posting, something we unanimously want to encourage.

This community is small enough that those of us who've visited for a number of years can easily spot a genuine newbie from a sock-puppet, and our responses are suitably adapted accordingly.    

Forums can become pretty dry places without a bit of banter, humour and controversy.  But I do think we should all be equally placed to offer that, newbie, old time lurker and ill-informed gobsh*te alike.

Replies:
Posted By: Woodburner
Date Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 9:25am
Agreed, I don't think the actual number of posts one makes should count for anything other than a rating on the scale of virtual sadness, that I seem to be near the top of, particularly if I add all my hits from the other ID's. I really should get out more.Confused

-------------
https://www.ease-distribution.com/moses" rel="nofollow - Foil fun

Posted By: transient
Date Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 9:29am
While I agree that the post count has outlived it's usefulness (if it ever had any) I also think the most discouraging aspect of this forum is the regular use of pejoratives by some forum members.

Using terms like "sock puppet" or "gobshyte" to describe potential contributors, not good advertising. Please pack it in TT.

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 9:44am
I don't think the categories add any value, and I'd be quite happy to see them ditched.

The post count might be more useful if it were something like post in the last 12 months or something, but its no bad thing to see who the inveterate posters are. I really like the facility another forum gives where you can see who the top posters are on each topic. That can be very revealing...

I'm really not in favour of likes and dislikes, reputation and the like since there's always the temptation to say what will gain likes, rather than what you believe to be true. There ought be no disincentive to politely and respectfully express a contrary view to the majority, especially as, in spite of the theorising of "wisdom of the crowds" fans, one expert who is right is worth more than 50,000 going with the flow who are wrong.

I have a concern that this forum is currently being dominated by a handful of people, not all of whom seem to me to be making a totally positive contribution, but Mark will see the numbers better than I. I'm trying to retrain from posting when I can, especially when it gets onto yet another lot of pointless ranting on the same old topic. I had occasion to search out some old posts a week or two back, and it did seem to me the contributions were much more varied a few years ago.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 10:40am
Originally posted by transient

While I agree that the post count has outlived it's usefulness (if it ever had any) I also think the most discouraging aspect of this forum is the regular use of pejoratives by some forum members. Using terms like "sock puppet" or "gobshyte" to describe potential contributors, not good advertising. Please pack it in TT.

Sock puppet is not a pejorative term - it's referenced multiple IDs a social feature on anonymous discussion boards as old as the Internet itself. as for Gobsh*te- that was an attempt at self-depreciating humour ;-)

Jim is right, topics could do more variety, however I don't agree that losing his contribution, even if perceived as repetitive, is the right answer. After all, these threads are virtual chip paper... We need more voices, not less.

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 12:03pm
All the people who have posted on this thread have been in favour of the post count being removed, but some people have voted against. I'd love to know what the positives of the post count are, that you want to keep it - I may be missing vital info for my decision - if anything to do with whether we have a number showing or not can really be called "vital". Vital in this context, maybe!

Sock puppet only becomes pejorative if accused wrongly. And can one be an 'informed gobshyte'?

-------------
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Posted By: mothlee
Date Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 12:17pm
Yes, think it's time to lose the post count.

Posted By: Matt Jackson
Date Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 1:01pm
I think you need a 'Don't care' vote option. I suspect most people don't and to save admins having to do any work this should be counted in the 'No' category.

-------------
Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36

Posted By: The Moo
Date Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 2:05pm
The post count on most forums I frequent do not seem to be accurate (or don't record posts in the way I might expect them too. Just hit the No button when I mean't Yes. Duuuuurrrrrr!

Date Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 2:06pm
Wasn't it Mark who first wondered about this?

Sadly, little as this matters to me, it will probably have more effect on my life than my vote at the General Election.

-------------

Posted By: Brass
Date Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 3:04pm
In the forums I mostly post in, Racing Rules and Race Management, it's useful, in framing replies, to know whether a poster is likely to be experienced or a novice, and posting history often correlates to sailing experience, at least in those forums.

As for 'newbie', I think it's precious to suggest that the term is offensive, but if you want a bit of pomposity, go for 'newcomer'.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 3:46pm
Or Start Line, 1st Beat, Windward Mark, 1st Reach, Gybe Mark, 2nd Reach, Leeward Mark. Not sure whether finish line is when we die?

-------------

Posted By: Woodburner
Date Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 4:24pm
So if the day ever dawned when 'Sir' Ben wanted some rule advice by posting here as unlikely event as ever, but he's a newbie then? Yeah, really.

Forums should not define anybody's opinion by a history of bolloxspeak.

-------------
https://www.ease-distribution.com/moses" rel="nofollow - Foil fun

Date Posted: 30 Apr 15 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Matt Jackson

I think you need a 'Don't care' vote option. I suspect most people don't and to save admins having to do any work this should be counted in the 'No' category.

I did think about it but figured clearer polarity might be more useful in this instance.  As you say, 'No' suffices for those interested enough to bother participating but wanting no real change.  

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com